RJ, JP, or Trent

/dev/null

The Bills have had some awful QBs the last decade.

Drew Bledsoe's short lived stint here was the franchise's most stable period at the most important position. So of the remainding claimants to the throne...

Which was the best of a bad lot?

Which was the worst of a rotten batch?

I think that if all three came out in the draft this year- same condition they were the year the arrived.....

Trent

JP

RJ

With the Trent over jp being the fact he was a later round pick. I like to think chan could've done something with the first two. I think rj is just not meant to be in the NFL period. I'd be very curious to see chan with a freshly drafted losman. Might not have been any better, but I hate what DJ did with him. Seems the worse he did in the pocket the more he tried to bottle him in. By the end, he was and is done. If he embraced the move the pocket gunslinger, it might not have failed so miserably.

Drew Bledsoe's short lived stint here was the franchise's most stable period at the most important position. So of the remainding claimants to the throne...

hard to say but it was RJ, he was extremely sharp in the music city debacle and would have won the game if not for the throw-up. Wonder how he would have turned out if he won, really thought he turned the corner there but thereafter he was never the same.

hard to say but it was RJ, he was extremely sharp in the music city debacle and would have won the game if not for the throw-up. Wonder how he would have turned out if he won, really thought he turned the corner there but thereafter he was never the same.

Johnson was anything BUT sharp in the Music City Homerun Throw Forward game. He did however, make some plays to get us to where Christy's FG had given us the lead with 16 seconds to go.

All three of these QB's suffered from a need of having a nine second pocket. All processed information too slowly to ever become a succesful NFL QB. Johnson and Losman had the physical tools. By the end, Edwards had become so pitiful it went beyond sickening.

i still feel like losman could have been mid level to good. he want a guy who was gonna sit in the pocket. he created with his feet and threw on the run quite a bit. just felt like it was the coaching that progressed his downfall. i was thinking the same that maybe chan could have gotten something out of JP after watching what he did with fitz. Either way its done and did and we are on to the next

JP set the team back the most. Drafting JP cost the Bills shots at Rodgers & Cutler. In Rodgers' case, the Bills would have had the pick to use on Rodgers if they hadn't traded it away for JP. In Cutler's case, the Bills chose to draft Whitner at pick 8 with Cutler on the board because they were committed to starting JP. Also, if the Bills had confidence in JP, they never would have drafted Trent in 2007. Since without JP's shaky status, there's no Trent, JP trumps Trent.

The reason Rob isn't even in the running is because, with the exception of his final season, the Bills could always turn to Flutie, so Rob wasn't ruining the franchise.

Clearly, in terms of setting the team back the most, JP towers over the others.

Whoa!

Not so fast, bud.

Why does Bledsoe get a pass? He cost us a 1st round pick that was sent to our division rival Pats, and he could never beat them. Sure, when you talk about lack of injuries you could say he was dependable.

But maybe we weren't watching the same Bledsoe.

The Bledsoe I saw had an amazing first half of the season when he was with us his first season (which he also had his first year w/Dallas), throwing bombs and lighting up defenses with Peerless Price and Eric Moulds. But opposing teams got smarter and better, and that steam started to run out after midseason. We couldn't run very well, and our defense could not stop anyone. We were constantly in shoot-outs.

As our defense improved, Bledsoe was exposed for grandpa in the pocket...he had lead feet. If there was a pass rush, he was going down. He also had that tendency Buffalo QB's have had this past decade (Fitz excluded)- which must be a Modrak requirement- of staring down your receiver until you release the ball. Bledsoe, JP, Trent, even SJ were all excellent at this!

Oh, and I think JP learned how to hold onto the ball too long from Bledsoe himself, because they both were masters of that craft.

Then, you have the amazingly ill-timed turnovers Bledsoe was constantly responsible for. The play that most stands out to me, is a home game against the Pats, the score is something like 14-14, we drive all the way down to near the goalline as time is winding down. We score, and we probably win.

What happened?

Bruschi busts the blocking, sacks Bledsoe, and he FREAKIN' FUMBLES THE BALL!!

Bledsoe was easily as good as JP with throwing the terrible INT, or fumbling the ball that would go to the opponent when we were just starting to build some momentum.

My summary of Bledsoe: good enough to HELP you win, but without a strong supporting cast he was bad enough to COST you the game.

Edited by Red

Whoa!

Not so fast, bud.

Why does Bledsoe get a pass? He cost us a 1st round pick that was sent to our division rival Pats, and he could never beat them. Sure, when you talk about lack of injuries you could say he was dependable.

Never said I was giving Bledsoe a pass. But looking back on the previous decade, those 3 seasons were the most stable QB play of the decade.

And in regards to the bolded part, Bledsoe was the last Bills QB to beat the Patriots*...in 2003 :(

Whoa!

Not so fast, bud.

The Bledsoe I saw had an amazing first half of the season when he was with us his first season (which he also had his first year w/Dallas), throwing bombs and lighting up defenses with Peerless Price and Eric Moulds. But opposing teams got smarter and better, and that steam started to run out after midseason. We couldn't run very well, and our defense could not stop anyone. We were constantly in shoot-outs.

As our defense improved, Bledsoe was exposed for grandpa in the pocket...he had lead feet. If there was a pass rush, he was going down. He also had that tendency Buffalo QB's have had this past decade (Fitz excluded)- which must be a Modrak requirement- of staring down your receiver until you release the ball. Bledsoe, JP, Trent, even SJ were all excellent at this!

Oh, and I think JP learned how to hold onto the ball too long from Bledsoe himself, because they both were masters of that craft.

Then, you have the amazingly ill-timed turnovers Bledsoe was constantly responsible for. The play that most stands out to me, is a home game against the Pats, the score is something like 14-14, we drive all the way down to near the goalline as time is winding down. We score, and we probably win.

What happened?

Bruschi busts the blocking, sacks Bledsoe, and he FREAKIN' FUMBLES THE BALL!!

Bledsoe was easily as good as JP with throwing the terrible INT, or fumbling the ball that would go to the opponent when we were just starting to build some momentum.

My summary of Bledsoe: good enough to HELP you win, but without a strong supporting cast he was bad enough to COST you the game.

Bledsoe holds the best single yardage passing season by a Bills QB--by a wide margin. Say what you want about how disappointing he was as a Bills QB, but he was not in the same zip code of bad as RJ, Trent, and Losman.

If I had to pick one and the only way you'd make me is with a gun to my head, I'd pick Rob Johnson. He was talented enough that other teams actually wanted him once he left here.

Never said I was giving Bledsoe a pass. But looking back on the previous decade, those 3 seasons were the most stable QB play of the decade.

And in regards to the bolded part, Bledsoe was the last Bills QB to beat the Patriots*...in 2003 :(

Which goes back to my last paragraph, Bledsoe was good enough to help you win, but if left to his own, he would find a way to cost you the game.

Bledsoe did not beat the Patriots. The BILLS beat the Patriots.

Any game where Bledsoe was tasked with leading, or where the pressure would be on him to win, he found a way to turn the ball over and lose it.

Bledsoe holds the best single yardage passing season by a Bills QB--by a wide margin. Say what you want about how disappointing he was as a Bills QB, but he was not in the same zip code of bad as RJ, Trent, and Losman.

If I had to pick one and the only way you'd make me is with a gun to my head, I'd pick Rob Johnson. He was talented enough that other teams actually wanted him once he left here.

Yeah, and how many Super Bowls did Bledsoe win with all of those passing yards?

How many playoff games?

Stats are meaningless, amigo.

RJ suffered from deer in the headlights syndrome. He'd drop back to pass and the slightest pass rush would freeze him. I was team RJ in the dumbest qb controversy of all time, but we all make mistakes.

Trent, I'm convinced, developed anxiety after the first concussion (adrian wilson?). Even when given time he'd end up hitting his checkdown. It was almost as though he developed tunnel vision, a common effect of stress and anxiety, and had trouble seeing downfield.

JP was guilty of being an egomanaical douche. I had the displeasure of having a mutual friend and was forced to hang out with him on occasion. He was rude to people, disparaging of his teammates and ridiculously entitled. Plus, he talked like a girl. Leaders of men should have authoritative voices.

Despite his douchery, of the three, JP was the one who could have been a passable (no pun intended) nfl qb given a decent situation. He probably would have thrived in a chan gailey offense.

Still Bledsoe. :thumbdown:

The first 8 games of 2002 do NOT excuse the wretched final 2-1/2 years, especially his last game against the Steelers' 3rd-stringers. The other 3 did suck, but none were close to being as big of a disgrace.

3. J.P. Lost-man - 2004 1st Round pick PLUS Bills traded for the rights to draft him. Absolutely zero pocket presence and horrible accuracy.

2. Trent Edwards - Bills only wasted a 3rd round pick on him, plus he had more good games then Lost-man had. Also zero pocket presence and no guts to hang in there and throw it down field.

1. Rob Johnson - Bills traded their 1998 1st round pick (ended up being 9 overall) for him. At least he lasted 4 years battling it out with Flutie for playing time. Biggest reason I rate him the best of the worst is because he made a nice comeback in the playoff game against the Titans that led to a Christie field goal with only 16 seconds left and the lead. Who knows how well or bad he may have played the following week in the Divisional playoffs if not for the "Music City Miraculous Forward Lateral" during those last 16 seconds!?

Here's a Quick List of all the QB's who were "starters" the past 25 years (1986-2010 seasons)

1986-1996: Jim Kelly (Hall of Fame, played his entire career in the NFL for the Bills.)

1997: Todd Collins

1998-2000: Rob Johnson & Doug Flutie

2001: Rob Johnson & Kelly Holcomb

2002-2004: Drew Bledsoe

2005-2007: J.P. Lost-man & Trent Edwards

2008: Trent Edwards

2009-2010: Trent Edwards & Ryan Fitzpatrick

2011: Ryan Fitzpatrick & ??? (Newton, Gabbert, Mallett, or Locker - I hope?)

Edited by BillsPhan

JP set the team back the most. Drafting JP cost the Bills shots at Rodgers & Cutler. In Rodgers' case, the Bills would have had the pick to use on Rodgers if they hadn't traded it away for JP. In Cutler's case, the Bills chose to draft Whitner at pick 8 with Cutler on the board because they were committed to starting JP. Also, if the Bills had confidence in JP, they never would have drafted Trent in 2007. Since without JP's shaky status, there's no Trent, JP trumps Trent.

The reason Rob isn't even in the running is because, with the exception of his final season, the Bills could always turn to Flutie, so Rob wasn't ruining the franchise.

Clearly, in terms of setting the team back the most, JP towers over the others.

I agree, and would add that it also cost us a 2nd and a 5th to take Losman.

If Rob could have stayed healthy, he probably would have had a decent career with Buffalo.

I didn't realize he had a injury history, he must have got hit in the head with his surfboard. As far as I can remember he was healthy, just got beat out and drastically outplayed by Doug Flutie. I would say if a scout was to pick one just on physical ability without knowing anything else about them, he would pick Losman, who had the mobility and a cannon arm. If they went by an intelligent factor, probably Edwards. If they went by who got out of town the quickest after the game and who had the most blond streaks in his hair it would have been Johnson.

I wouldn't call Bledsoe's time here stable. He had a half a year that was outstanding. In my opinion Flutie was what stabilized the team and the franchise for that matter. I believe the Bills would no longer be in Buffalo if it weren't for him.

Trent, I'm convinced, developed anxiety after the first concussion (adrian wilson?). Even when given time he'd end up hitting his checkdown. It was almost as though he developed tunnel vision, a common effect of stress and anxiety, and had trouble seeing downfield.

I think Trent's unraveling was a bit more complex than that with all of the following factors weighing in:

1. The 4-0 start in 2008 was a bit of a mirage -- as all 4 opponents were horrible. And, the team required late game comebacks to win 2 of those games. Still, Trent was being cited as an early-season MVP candidate.

2. Horrible coaching. That starts with Jauron, who for whatever reason didn't seem interested in preparing Edwards to face 3-4 defensive alignments, which was the exclusive formation for the rest of the division. 3 different coordinators in 3 years (each progressively less qualified than the previous one) didn't help.

3. Certainly, the severe concussion played a factor in Trent becoming somewhat gutless in the pocket.

4. Shortly after the concussion, Josh Reed also went down for several games. That left Lee Evans as the only WR option -- with the Bills desperately trying to get a disinterested James Hardy involved. I will never forget that infamous Monday night game against Cleveland, where Trent threw 2 or 3 early interceptions, stemming from him and his receivers not being on the same page. He lost confidence in them (and himself) and started checking down to the RBs on almost every pass play. I remember Jaws at the time commenting how Trent was playing scared and that the Bills could not afford to continue to hide their QB by relying on the RBs so much.

I believe that when Gailey took over, he saw the talent and smarts that Trent possessed -- and felt that he could correct the lost mojo that was further beaten down in 2009. However, after 2 games against live competition, Gailey realized that Trent's problems simply were not fixable.

Ive been waiting for a thread like this....So heres my 3 cents....

Jp by far was the best of these three losers, Jp had the long ball like RJ but took fewer sacks and won more games, I felt he was getting better until Trent was looking over his shoulder and Dick was making him dump the ball off in his last few games.

The real battle was between Trent and Rob...I couldnt figure out who I despised more, Rob was such a major douche ...taking sacks just to keep his rating up ...and even admiting it! But he did have balls, its just Rob truely was a moron, which isnt his fault, he was tall and had an arm but that was absolutely it. Note-I saw here some people said he played good in the tennesee playoff game...He was absolutely horrendous, had 98 yards passing, completed one pass in the first quarter for 9 yards, took several sacks, and only did well in the two minute drill at the end becuase it was against a prevent after he needed that entire game to warm up. Everyone says,"he had it won", NO! antowain smith had it won along with the defense.

And finally Trent... he was absolutley the worst of the worst, he regresses down to a pop warner level player, had no balls to speak of, lived in denial, ruined two + seasons. Teased us with a 5-1 start whos success was due mainly to defenses not used to running backs catching passes (Losman never really threw to the RBs) Trent absolutely lead to the failure of this team for 3 years and a few more to come due to the fact he was horrible but hid it so well by always checking down. We could have had drafted a qb by now!

Jp by far was the best of these three losers, Jp had the long ball like RJ but took fewer sacks and won more games, I felt he was getting better until Trent was looking over his shoulder and Dick was making him dump the ball off in his last few games.

No way. I am thinking that he won the fewest starts of the 3. Trent definitely had more wins than Losman, which is sad.

JP > Trent

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2006111905/2006/REG11/bills@texans/analyze/box-score

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2006112602/2006/REG12/jaguars@bills/analyze/box-score

The first was a 300+ yrd game that JP won on an amazing throw to Peerless Price (Dauta Robinson complained about this and at the time people were offended he said JP sucked)

The second was JP making clutch plays in back to back weeks.