Bills interested in Atogwe

he'll join his soon to be father-in-law if he knows whats really good for him lol

All I could picture was a female version of Singletary with those eyes popping out of his head. She's actually much prettier....

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/613/piczk.jpg

Edited by DrDankenstein

Atogwe had 1/2 the number of tackles, 2 more INTs than Whitner did last year. The Rams cut

him because he didn't live up to the big contract that he signed.

Now, I am not saying that Atogwe isn't as good as Whitner, but I don't see a huge upgrade

there. Money required to sign each would be a significant factor in choosing one over

the other (IMHO).

Firstly you'd have to know how much it would cost to sign Atogwe and weigh that as to how good he is and where his career curve is.

Then you'd have to ask, "would we be better off spending that money at another position?"

Atogwe's had a nice interception total in his career. He's supposed to be a much better free safety than strong safety.

I believe he was asked to play strong safety last year. We already have our free safety in Byrd.

Nothing against Atogwe but I hope the Bills have prioritized their free agency needs to include a starting tight end first and foremost.

If they can sign Atogwe AND Zach Miller or Kevin Boss, I'd be on board with that.

OMG! He's available and I've heard of him.

Sign him NOW. But, only if you can do it on the cheap, 'cause he's washed up.

No. The FO has to sign him or it will prove the team is in disarray.

Throw him a dozen million dollar signing bonus to get him here.

That's the only way FAs will come to Buffalo.

Ralph is cheap, so it won't happen.

Did I cover all the bases?

Atogwe had 1/2 the number of tackles, 2 more INTs than Whitner did last year. The Rams cut

Now, I am not saying that Atogwe isn't as good as Whitner, but I don't see a huge upgrade

there. Money required to sign each would be a significant factor in choosing one over

the other (IMHO).

He had half the # of tackles because he covered the other teams TE twice as often.

No, you forgot "someone wake up Buddy!" and "we're doomed!".

I billieve we should sign him...if we cannot sign and RT/DL/LB or TE. I'm not so sure how active we're gonna be in FA this year. I'd prefer to sign a player that plays a position of need. If we are unable to sign anyone, then I'd welcome adding him to the team. He's a good player. We need more good players.

Atogwe does a few things better than Whitner.

1. Considerably more productive in creating turnovers.

2. He has the height, talent and experience in covering TE's in the 3-4 defense during his career.

Right, because he played FREE SAFETY.

NOT STRONG SAFETY.

Kinda like saying Jeff Saturday should be our new RT because he plays on the Line.

Right, because he played FREE SAFETY.

NOT STRONG SAFETY.

Kinda like saying Jeff Saturday should be our new RT because he plays on the Line.

You do realize he's played both SS and FS in his career? He performed quite well at the SS position.

You do realize he's played both SS and FS in his career? He performed quite well at the SS position.

Yes, I do realize that. But I believe the majority of his time was spent at FS.

So how many of those turn overs came from when he was playing SS vs FS? He had 8 picks in '07, was that at SS?

And dont the haters rag on Whitner for being undersized for the SS postion at 5'10" 208lbs? Atogwe is 5'11" 205lbs. Not seeing the upgrade.

Other than he just signed a big contract and has a lingering shoulder injury. Sounds Great! :unsure:

We're all good with paying this guy over $6mil/year, but not Donte?

Kinda seems like we're replacing apples with apples, except these new apples don't know our team and locker room... and if everything else is equal, I'll take the guy that's been here for a while and is a true SS.

This is what espn insider had to say:

Buffalo Bills safety Donte Whitner is set to hit free agency this offseason, and it's currently unclear if the team plans to extend his time in Western New York. As a result, Sal Maiorana of the Democrat and Chronicle examined the team's options at the position, given the availability of some other free agents at the position.

In Maiorana's view, though the team has been speculatively linked to former Indianapolis Colts safety Bob Sanders, signing him would be a mistake. Comparing Sanders to Whitner in major stat categories, he doesn't think that the injury-prone Sanders stacks up too well. In essence, the fact that Whitner was drafted eighth overall has worked against him, but from a pure value standpoint, he may actually be a better choice than Sanders.

As for Oshiomogho Atogwe, Maiorana believes the former St. Louis Rams safety may make the best option of the three, if the salary demands are equal. [Editor's note: Howard Balzer of 101 ESPN reports that the Bills are interested]. Atogwe has stayed reasonably healthy and been a productive ball-hawk during his career thus far.

As noted above, there's a chance that Whitner and the Bills will be able to extend their relationship, but we'll be able to tell how serious they are on that front by whether they host one of the other two prior to the March 4 deadline.

If there is a reinstated cap that actually restricts spending the Bills could be serious players in free agency (Actually get a high valued player or two). The Bills are a team that would have a lot of cap room seeing as they have one of the smallest payrolls (And just shed another big salary with Stroud) in the NFL right now.

Its not likely but a harder more meaningful cap could be good for the Bills as if they could offer bigger contracts due to having more cap space it could actually give the Bills an ability to offer substantially more money then other teams who might be capped strapped.

Either way I think that while safety isn't a huge need its clear our secondary could use some help.

If there is a reinstated cap that actually restricts spending the Bills could be serious players in free agency (Actually get a high valued player or two). The Bills are a team that would have a lot of cap room seeing as they have one of the smallest payrolls (And just shed another big salary with Stroud) in the NFL right now.

Its not likely but a harder more meaningful cap could be good for the Bills as if they could offer bigger contracts due to having more cap space it could actually give the Bills an ability to offer substantially more money then other teams who might be capped strapped.

Either way I think that while safety isn't a huge need its clear our secondary could use some help.

I think minus Whitner and Wilson it becomes a pretty big need.

Also, aren't Sanders and Atogwe both FSs? Is it possible they are looking for a replacement for Byrd, not Whitner?

Edited by Ghost of Rob Johnson

WOW THIS IS SO ORIGINAL AND FUNNY. THANK YOU FOR POSTING THIS I DONT THINK I'VE EVER READ SOMETHING LIKE THIS ON THIS BOARD. SO GLAD I READ THESE THREADS BECAUSE THEY ARE SANCTUARY OF ORIGINAL THOUGHT

LoL. +1

the other (IMHO).

I`ll second that. Get a damn pass rush . Whitner hits like a truck.

No, you forgot "someone wake up Buddy!" and "we're doomed!".

You also forgot:

"GIT 'ER DONE!", "I trust Buddy and the FO", and "Anyone's better than L'il Donte".

Firstly you'd have to know how much it would cost to sign Atogwe and weigh that as to how good he is and where his career curve is.

Then you'd have to ask, "would we be better off spending that money at another position?"

Atogwe's had a nice interception total in his career. He's supposed to be a much better free safety than strong safety.

I believe he was asked to play strong safety last year. We already have our free safety in Byrd.

Nothing against Atogwe but I hope the Bills have prioritized their free agency needs to include a starting tight end first and foremost.

If they can sign Atogwe AND Zach Miller or Kevin Boss, I'd be on board with that.

Firstly, I cannot stand poor grammar or made up words. I did not think firstly was a real word so I looked it up. It is a word, not one i would ever use but, that doesn't matter. Use firstly all you want.

Yes, I do realize that. But I believe the majority of his time was spent at FS.

So how many of those turn overs came from when he was playing SS vs FS? He had 8 picks in '07, was that at SS?

And dont the haters rag on Whitner for being undersized for the SS postion at 5'10" 208lbs? Atogwe is 5'11" 205lbs. Not seeing the upgrade.

Other than he just signed a big contract and has a lingering shoulder injury. Sounds Great! :unsure:

We're all good with paying this guy over $6mil/year, but not Donte?

Kinda seems like we're replacing apples with apples, except these new apples don't know our team and locker room... and if everything else is equal, I'll take the guy that's been here for a while and is a true SS.

Only thing is I wonder what that lockerroom thinks after his tantrums on twitter nov-today. It's been embarrassing and I wouldn't want to follow him into battle. Always been a whitner fan, and would call it a lapse in judgement but it's been months.

I don't feel comfortable at all with what we have in Byrd, not after last year. I think he's overrated and have said so for over a year now.

What the heck does "overrated" even mean for a 2nd round pick who just finished his second season (and was hurt for the start of his first??? I'm pretty sure he rates another season or two before we give up on yet another high draft pick as a starter.

I gather you're also thinking we need a new NT since it's been a whole year and last year's second round pick didn't impress you either? :wallbash:

Edited by BobChalmers