Both SI and GBNreport have Blaine Gabbert going #1

Very helpful - thanks. I could see him going #1 overall. I wonder what the Bills think of him.

First round maybe ... #1 overall? No Way.

8 of the last 10 #1's have been QBs. The team picking #1 doesn't have a credible QB.

First round maybe ... #1 overall? No Way.

8 of the last 10 #1's have been QBs. The team picking #1 doesn't have a credible QB.

See who Rivera brings in as his OC first and that will help to shed a little light on the situation as to how they will go. If it's some pass happy OC then maybe, but it could be a more traditional running based offense considering the RB's they have. A.J. Green? Maybe. Fairley? Maybe. Bowers? Maybe. Gabbert? Ehhhhh, I doubt it.

I respect both of these outlets. What's the scoop on Gabbert?

If he has a big combine like many expect, this very well could end up happening. I still think the most likely picks for Carolina are Fairley, Green or the highest rated DE on their board though. Simply because they have Claussen and the new staff may want to get a chance to work with him for a season before they determine they need to draft a QB this high not named Luck.

I think a rookie salary cap will change that, positional value will mean less because the dollars committed will be less. I could easily see Carolina bringing in a vet qb to keep the seat warm for a year so the new staff can evaluate claussen, moore and pike.

QB's go early. Ask Alex Smith. I don't think the call will be entirely Ron Rivera's either. That offense is putrid as is and their D is not as lowly as ours. I think any CBA agreements would go into affect in the 2012 draft, also. That is the reason a lot of juniors have come out early supposedly. That is part of the reason Luck got so much flack for going back.

No way Gabbert over Newton. Gabbert played in an offense that was designed to make it hard for a QB to make mistakes, yet he made many. Didn't step up in his team's 2 biggest games of regular season, which resulted in losses. Clumsy foootwork. Questions about his ability to read defenses. He's big, somewhat mobile and can make all the throws. But, he has a lot of the same question marks as Newton. Why not take Cam then over Gabbert? Newton's a freak of nature and his upside is through the roof.

Edited by billieve79

No way Gabbert over Newton. Gabbert played in an offense that was designed to make it hard for a QB to make mistakes, yet he made many. Didn't step up in his team's 2 biggest games of regular season, which resulted in losses. Clumsy foootwork. Questions about his ability to read defenses. He's big, somewhat mobile and can make all the throws. But, he has a lot of the same question marks as Newton. Why not take Cam then over Gabbert? Newton's a freak of nature and his upside is through the roof.

Gabbert's footwork is better than Newton's. Newton has absolutely terrible footwork. And I guess I missed the part where Newton could read a defense. That must be why he looks to the sideline so often for when his coach is calling the audible based on the defense. Somewhat mobile? He's actually very mobile and can escape the pocket to extend the play or run. Same question marks as Newton? He doesn't have the same character concerns and has had more than one year college starting under a major program.

Edited by Bangarang

Gabbert's footwork is better than Newton's. Newton has absolutely terrible footwork. And I guess I missed the part where Newton could read a defense. That must be why he looks to the sideline so often for when his coach is calling the audible based on the defense. Somewhat mobile? He's actually very mobile and can escape the pocket to extend the play or run. Same question marks as Newton? He doesn't have the same character concerns and has had more than one year college starting under a major program.

Never claimed that Newton didn't have concerns with footwork, reading defenses etc. In fact, when I said that they have the same question marks, I was referring to footwork and reading defenses mainly. My point was that I'd rather go with the guy who's physical tools/skills are off the charts. True, Newton only started the one year, but has more big wins in that year than Gabbert in his 2 years. Winning big games is an intangible I want my QB to possess. I'm bothered by the fact the Gabbert didn't step it up in the big game.

Always be weary of the guys that shoot up the draft boards late. Typically they are guys that have all the physical attributes you want in a player. On paper, Gabbert looks like a blue chip prospect. But where it counts, he falls short.

3,186 yards, 16 TDs, 9 Ints, 63% completions. This is in a spread offense that is supposed to generate BIG numbers. Doesn't impress me much.

Two years straight they lost in disappointing bowl games to Iowa in the Insight Bowl, and Navy in the Texas Bowl. And in many of the games against the biggest opponents (Nebraska, Texas, OK State), he choked.

Look past all of these supposed draft experts, and you have a guy that should be in the 3rd or 4th round based on his merits.

Oh I really do hope that happens. That would mean either Fairley or Dareus would be available to the Bills. Which of course would mean they're likely to pick someone completely different, but one can hope.

Yes one can hope, and I hope that Buddy does draft someone different. Someone like Cam Newton, Jake Locker or Ryan Mallett.

gabbert has the best qb tools in the draft. beautiful release, strong arm. newton is a relative child. the only question is whether gabbert can learn to read defenses. this is a question for all college qbs, including luck. first to carolina seems too high though.

i watched about 40 throws of Gabbert ...ball comes out LOW....he will have alot of balls blocked/tipped by D-lineman. having said that, don't be surprised if he is the #1 QB off the board.

a bit low. not unlike rivers. but i don't view this as a fatal flaw. speaking as a scout (albeit not a football scout!) when you see two plus tools (delivery, arm strength) and an average to maybe above average in the future third (accuracy) then you have a real prospect. again, it depends whether or not he can read pro defenses and react. his college career doesn't show that. of course neither did sam bradford's or any other college qb's.

Newton has more arm strength than Gabbert and scouts are saying that Gabbert has some issues with his release. They say there is some wasted motion there, but hey, it's all a crapshoot a guess. I just love the Newton upside. If all goes well, I see him as a cross between Roethlisberger and Cunningham.

I went to youtube and watched as much as I could on Blaine Gabbert yesterday. I was left with mixed opinions of him. First, he has a great arm, and he seems to have a quick release. I saw one play against Nevada where he threw the ball 60 yards, and he could very well handle the winds of the Ralph. But, he looked a little thin, a little fragile, and he didn't ever appear to be the type of quarterback that would rally a team, and take over a game. I don't know... when I heard comparisons to Rivers I was excited. But, he didn't really remind me of rivers. He reminded me more of Flacco. I guess he'd be an improvement, but, now I can say with certainty that I'd rather us get Fairley or Quinn or Dareus with the first and try to grab one of the lesser hyped QB's who many people feel have all the tools to be good.