So tired of "Dope" and the "Lapdog" on WGR 550 making

Big Turk

Either way you have it you are looking at mediocrity. When you graciously accept mediocrtiy you will continue to get mediocrity. The owner thanks you very much. You are the type of fan who is music to his ears.

It's ironic how you accuse those who see improvement in this team as accepting mediocrity. It pretty much proves what I thought all along...that you have no football sense beyond looking at the standings. What's it like in your bland world? When you watch a game is all just like hamsters running around to you, and you don't know what to think until you see the final score?

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Those guys try way too hard to come up with a counterpoint opinion. They really are a turn off when they spew drivel about not being better on offense. Between that and Bulldog rooting for them to lose, it's absurd. Also, the two seem to agree with each other way too often which is annoying. AT least have debates with differing opinions.

They agree with each other all the time.

It's just a minor league sports station. But unfortunately that is accepted here. I don't flat out hate them like some people, but there is no way they should be the prime time radio voices. Let Shoop do his card collecting show. The fact that the guy admits he isn't really a football fan speaks volumes.

And to the OP. Great job with the facts. Unfortunately, they hang up on you before you got a chance to make that point. And then Shoop would be insulted because you asked how his day was. And Bulldog would mumbled something that is just agreeing with whatever was previously said. There is no way another city with 2 major league pro sports teams has worse sports radio. It is impossible.

On the other side, I think the Buffalo News' sports coverage is amazing.

It's ironic how you accuse those who see improvement in this team as accepting mediocrity. It pretty much proves what I thought all along...that you have no football sense beyond looking at the standings. What's it like in your bland world? When you watch a game is all just like hamsters running around to you, and you don't know what to think until you see the final score?

PTR

I make my judgments on what I see not what I want to see.

I agree with every poster that said the best way to combat these two hacks is not to listen. I know it can be hard when you're dying for Bills talk but the bottom line is all Entercom understands. When the ratings drop, they can't charge as much to advertisers. When that ripples through their quarterly profits, then you might see some changes.

Sadly, WECK is not much of an alternative. Brad (who stated that he and Bulldog are essentially the same guy....Brad you're right for once!) is just a GR type that ran aground against management. I like the WFAN recommendation. It's a great station. I'll suggest trying the FAN590 out of TO 3-7. Bob Mckowan does a first-rate show that covers the NFL (and can be quite Bills intensive since they carry the games) and has hockey talk that's off the charts. Give it a try.

I have to listen to these 2 numnuts spew their crap about how the Bills aren't better on offense from last year and that "stats" don't back up how every one says they are so much better offensively. Well, I hate to post cold hard facts, but they are vastly improved, even without taking out Edwards two brutal games before Fitz took over. I am going to solely concentrate on what has happened in the 9 games since Fitz has been the starter. The numbers are basically like night and day from last year. Anyone who can possibly make a statement that "there has been no improvement offensively" is clearly just misguided or plain out wrong.

Here we go:

In 2009: Bills gained 273.9 yards/game(30th), averaged 4.81 yards/play(26th), scored an average of 16.1 points/game(28th) and converted 26% of 3rd downs(32nd-worst in the NFL)

In 2010(9 games under Fitz): 350.1 yards/game(13th), 5.55 yards/play(12th), 23.6 points/game(12th), 43.2% on 3rd down conversions(6th)

So basically we gain 76.2 more yards per game or +17 spots(actually puts us directly ahead of NEW ENGLAND in yards per game) average .76 more yards/play(directly ahead of INDY) or +14 spots, 7.5 points/game more(directly behind the Jets and Texans) or +16 spots, and convert 17.5% more 3rd downs into 1st downs(directly ahead of Tampa Bay and San Diego) or +26 spots.

I don't know about anyone else, but I consider that DRASTIC and VAST improvement over last year. If the Bills defense was a little bit better, the Bills numbers would likely be even better since they would have the ball more often. Where they have the audacity to say the Bills "aren't any better on offense this year than last year" is a total farce and next time I hear it you can be damn sure I'm calling in to set the record straight!!

good post! offense is VERY much improved. Improvement on 3rd down is unbelievable. Last year i used to change the channel after a 2nd down incomplete pass or dump off by Edwards... How much has the sacks per pass attempt gone down??

Hearing Lapdog trying to express a thought is maddening. Sometimes I feel like screaming "spit it out already!!"

PTR

I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I- this stuttering fool should not be allowed

within one mile of a microphone.

That said, if enough people would take note of the advertisers on their show, and express their displeasure to the aforementioned sponsors, changes would be made - if not outright replacement, corporate induced attitude adjustments.

Of course BillsVet's comments about the Bills are relevant. He pointed out that while the offense got better the defense got worse. How is that not a relevant and cogent point? He also pointed out that while the previous regime got criticized compared to the new regime the old regime's record is actually better than the new regime. How is that contradiction not an interesting point?

If you want to be critical of BV's points then go ahead and be be critical of them. If you want to argue over the accuracy of his points then point out where he is wrong. He simply stated that the defense got worse while the offense got better. That is a fact. He pointed out that the record for last year's team at a particular point of the season is actually better than it presenty is. That is also a fact.

You need to read the OP again. It talks about the OFFENSE. So commenting about how the defense has regressed has nothing to do with the original post. Some of us are sick of Billsvet constant negativism. He missed the whole point of the thread and he's just not happy unless he says something bad. And you're not very far behind him. Like i've said before, misery likes company.

Either way you have it you are looking at mediocrity. When you graciously accept mediocrtiy you will continue to get mediocrity. The owner thanks you very much. You are the type of fan who is music to his ears.

I am SO SICK of hearing crap like this. Who the hell graciously accepts mediocrity? The record is what it is and no Bills fan can do a damn thing about it. But that doesn't mean we can't appreciate the improvements with our team and voice them. Some people just like to be miserable about everything. And I personally can't stand you guys.

I am SO SICK of hearing crap like this. Who the hell graciously accepts mediocrity? The record is what it is and no Bills fan can do a damn thing about it. But that doesn't mean we can't appreciate the improvements with our team and voice them. Some people just like to be miserable about everything. And I personally can't stand you guys.

WOW!

good post! offense is VERY much improved. Improvement on 3rd down is unbelievable. Last year i used to change the channel after a 2nd down incomplete pass or dump off by Edwards... How much has the sacks per pass attempt gone down??

quite a bit actually. Fitzpatrick gets sacked only about 4.5% of passing attempts, which isn't quite elite like Manning or Brady(2.5-3.0%), but is pretty good. He has been sacked 16 times in 346 passing attempts. Compared to last year, Fitzpatrick was sacked 21 times in 248 passing attempts or 8.4%, so basically it has been almost chopped in half. Even worse was Trent Edwards who last year and this year combined was sacked 30 times in 265 passing attempts, for a sack rate of 11.3%, which was approaching Rob Johnson status...

Who's the better team, the 9-2 Tampa Bay Buccaneers or the 6-5 San Diego Chargers?

I believe you mean the 7-4 Tampa Bay Buccaneers. And the Chargers are the better team, despite they being one game behind Tampa in the standings.

He simply stated that the defense got worse while the offense got better. That is a fact. He pointed out that the record for last year's team at a particular point of the season is actually better than it presenty is. That is also a fact.

Yes, the fact that the defense got worse is common sense, although it is playing at a pretty similar level to last year for the past few games. Why this was brought up, I have no clue, as noone was claiming the defense got better, and had absolutely nothing to do with the topic.

As far as the record point, that is obvious too, although somewhat misleading as well. The Bills are playing a much harder schedule than last year, which means even if they play better, their record will likely be worse. Pro-football reference had Bills SOS last year at 2.4 while it is 3.7 this year. Bills got blown out last year(final score more than 2 TDs apart) 5 times, while this year they have been blown out twice, and only once since Fitz took over(the Jets game). So they are playing better teams this year, closer. That might not count for a lot, but it has to count for something.

IMHO, this team is definitely heading in the right direction if they can get a few players on defense, since the offense is pretty good already and can definitely win at the NFL level It would not be out of the question that this team makes the playoffs next year with an improved defense. There are few people who thought last years team was heading in any direction, let alone a good one. To get blown out so many times when the defense was one of the top takeaway defenses in the NFL was frankly embarrassing. If the defense was taking the ball away this year like it did last year, the Bills would likely have a better than .500 record. Include the fact that our red zone offense went from bottom of the league last year to NFL best this year, and its not hard to say that we might actually be blowing teams out instead of losing close games if our D was turning the ball over like it did last year.

This years team averages 29.6 yards per drive with Fitz in there versus Last years team averaging 23.22 yards per drive---a 6.38 yards per drive difference...pretty significant.

Anyways, yes the record is what it is, but I am willing to bet if someone said "Which team do you feel you have a better chance to make the playoffs with the following year?" way more than 50% are choosing this years team over last years team.

Edited by matter2003

What is the point of calling them names? Can't you just disagree with them like an adult?

:rolleyes: Please, these !@#$s deserve all the crap they get. Can't they just disagree with a caller instead of hanging up on them and then shooting them down(when the caller has no chance to reply).

What is it with the need to defend writers/radio hosts/journalists around here? Players, coaches, owners and even the pope are fair game, but don't talk bad about these folks. Whatever. :cry:

Too conservative, and yet the Bills have gone for it on 4th down as much as any other team in the NFL...17 times, tied with Dallas and KC for most in the NFL...also have the 5th fewest penalties on offense in the NFL as well..

great stats. If you just watch the game you can see something is much, much different on offense. I think those 2 are just pulling people's chains to get ratings. With the Sabres looking like bums what can they do?

Anyways, yes the record is what it is, but I am willing to bet if someone said "Which team do you feel you have a better chance to make the playoffs with the following year?" way more than 50% are choosing this years team over last years team.

It doesn't matter how many people would select this team in a survey as having a better chance at making the playoffs next year. It is a moronic question. The reality is neither team would have ANY chance of making the playoffs next year.

The Bills are currently 2-9. After this Sunday, the odds are that they will be 2-10. I'm not rooting against them but the probality favors them losing in Minnesota. My point is very simple: Their record is a reflection of their talent level. The Bills are playing in their 12th game this weekend. How many games have they won against winning teams? None. Even the "revered" owner of the Bills has basically come to the same conclusion I have made. He has stated in an interview that by the time the team becomes a serious team he possibly won't be around. Why don't you harrangue him about his disloyal observations about his own team?

I was able to break away from the show -- I used to listen all the time and haven't listened in over six months. It feels good.

The fact of the matter is that Schopp doesn't really like sports. Rather, he's into the culture of sports. There is a significant difference. I suspect that most of the people that visit these boards watch sports for the nature of athletic competition -- amazingly trained physical athletes competing against each other, football minds scheming against each other, etc. None of that matters to Schopp. As was pointed out earlier, all he wants to discuss are stats, why athletes are stupid, why management is stupid, why fans are stupid, why callers are stupid, etc. He offers nothing from the athletic perspective. That's the main reason I stopped listening to him. The other reason is that he's a downright dick to the callers -- very disrespectful and contemptuous of the common man. He's an absolute jackass -- a mean-spirited jerk. To hell with Mike Schopp. I encourage everyone to stop listening to the afternoon show. It will improve you life.

This sounds like a Howard Stern situation on a very small scale. The majority of people seem to hate these two but at the same time they can't stop listening and complaining about how much they hate them.

This sounds like a Howard Stern situation on a very small scale. The majority of people seem to hate these two but at the same time they can't stop listening and complaining about how much they hate them.

But unlike Stern it's not people tuning in to hear how outrageous Dope and Lapdog will be. It's the fact that there is only one place to find Buffalo sports talk on the radio, as bad as it is. Most of the time I don't listen. Only when there is something going on, like the possible sale of the Sabres, that I tune in hoping to get some real information.

It's a lot like me eating at Taco Bell. It's tempting, then I eat there and regret it.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

But unlike Stern it's not people tuning in to hear how outrageous Dope and Lapdog will be. It's the fact that there is only one place to find Buffalo sports talk on the radio, as bad as it is. Most of the time I don't listen. Only when there is something going on, like the possible sale of the Sabres, that I tune in hoping to get some real information.

It's a lot like me eating at Taco Bell. It's tempting, then I eat there and regret it.

PTR

An excellent metaphor Promo. It also suggests the mess and stench that attaches itself to both. :thumbsup:

Their shtick is getting old. Chuck Dickerson was also very negative and critical about the Bills but he was knowledgeable about the game itself and had the ability to properly break down the team and its players. Dickerson was at least credible.

I am not saying this to be insulting but both have problems speaking coherently and stutter at times. Not something you would expect from radio hosts.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

When Schopp said that Chan Gailey is "too conservative" on offense he lost the last shred of credibility he had. I wonder if they read from scripts sometimes.

PTR

I was disappointed when Kevin Gilbride was swept out with the clowns years ago. That was a cool offense.

Chan has made me forget about Kevin Gilbride. And you know what? We really haven't seen a whole lot of the pistol offense, just bits and pieces, when Parrish was healthy. Anyone who saw him run this offense at GT knows what I'm talking about. I bet only about 1/2 of the playbook is being used this year.

He just said he prefers this team. So do I. We're improved significantly over where we were last year, and our drafted guys havent even made an impact yet. Somewhere between the bottom of the barrel and a championship team is mediocrity, which is where most teams are in the league right now.

We're exciting and fun to watch, but we have a worse record than last year. Would you rather watch the boring 16 point per game team we had last year that won more games, or the squad we have now that can go on the road in Baltimore and score 30 plus.

For me its a no brainer. I love this team. Spiller is gonna finish strong this year too so its only going to get better.

I like them.

I feel that they represent the non-Eternally-Optimistic (7-9 here we come!) Bills fans and their point of view quite often.

You might feel that being down on your team and criticizing them invalidates your "fanhood" but many others disagree.

Also, the way they handle the quality of the average caller to talk radio shows amuses me.

Different strokes for different folks I guess. Suspecting that those who strongly oppose them would love a Chris Brown hosted pro-Bills show. I wouldn't really.

It doesn't matter how many people would select this team in a survey as having a better chance at making the playoffs next year. It is a moronic question. The reality is neither team would have ANY chance of making the playoffs next year.

The Bills are currently 2-9. After this Sunday, the odds are that they will be 2-10. I'm not rooting against them but the probality favors them losing in Minnesota. My point is very simple: Their record is a reflection of their talent level. The Bills are playing in their 12th game this weekend. How many games have they won against winning teams? None. Even the "revered" owner of the Bills has basically come to the same conclusion I have made. He has stated in an interview that by the time the team becomes a serious team he possibly won't be around. Why don't you harrangue him about his disloyal observations about his own team?

Right...Kansas City didn't look like they had a chance of making the playoffs this year either last year...

I am not talking about this team as presently constructed making the playoffs next year, I am talking about next year's team with another draft and FA moves making he playoffs enxt year...big difference.

Right...Kansas City didn't look like they had a chance of making the playoffs this year either last year...

I am not talking about this team as presently constructed making the playoffs next year, I am talking about next year's team with another draft and FA moves making he playoffs enxt year...big difference.

You didn't carefully read my previous post. I clearly stated that the Bills have virtually no chance of making the playoffs next year, that includes adding players from the next draft and some free agent acquisitions. That doesn't mean that the team won't improve. They should. But the Jets, and especially the Pats with their multiple picks next year, are much more advanced than the Bills are.

Do you think the Bills are better than either the Steelers and Ravens? One of those two teams should be favored to win the division and the other a wildcard contender. The same line of reasoning applies to the Jets and Pats. Both of these teams will probably being vying for a division championship with the other team also contending for a wildcard position.

You tell me. Which of those teams are the Bills likely to leap?

You didn't carefully read my previous post. I clearly stated that the Bills have virtually no chance of making the playoffs next year, that includes adding players from the next draft and some free agent acquisitions. That doesn't mean that the team won't improve. They should. But the Jets, and especially the Pats with their multiple picks next year, are much more advanced than the Bills are.

Do you think the Bills are better than either the Steelers and Ravens? One of those two teams should be favored to win the division and the other a wildcard contender. The same line of reasoning applies to the Jets and Pats. Both of these teams will probably being vying for a division championship with the other team also contending for a wildcard position.

The Pats go as Brady goes. If the Bills can add a couple of key pieces on defense that will get in his face and knock him down, the Bills can over take them next year.

The Jets are a very good team, but one that always seems beatable.

The Ravens are aging quickly on defense and their offense is above average. They are not getting better.

If the Steelers lose Harrison, they will be very beatable. The Bills shown this season that they are able to go toe to toe against this team that expected a fight by the Bills and still needed a lucky dropped pass in OT to beat them.

You're giving these teams far too much credit. The NFL is a very watered down league right now. Peyton and Brady can no longer lay claims to be the champions in waiting like they were this past decade. If the Bills can add a few key pieces on defense they'll be a very hard team to beat next season and will even have a chance to win the division if certain key pieces fall into place. The tide is turning, you just refuse to see it.

Tell the 2009/2010 Cowboys, Vikings and Buccaneers about this logic. I think they all missed the lesson...

The Pats go as Brady goes. If the Bills can add a couple of key pieces on defense that will get in his face and knock him down, the Bills can over take them next year.

There is no doubt that Brady is the most instrumental player on the Pats. But even when he was hurt and at the time replaced by Cassel the team still won on a regular basis. The Pats are not only a better team than the Bills but their organization is much superior to our own.

The Jets are a very good team, but one that always seems beatable.

The last time we played the Jets at home this season they embarrassed us. I never saw as much laughing and yucking it from the opposition as I did during that game. When a Jet player was asked by a reporter if it was a tough game, he responded: No.

The Ravens are aging quickly on defense and their offense is above average. They are not getting better.

If the Steelers lose Harrison, they will be very beatable. The Bills shown this season that they are able to go toe to toe against this team that expected a fight by the Bills and still needed a lucky dropped pass in OT to beat them.

You're giving these teams far too much credit. The NFL is a very watered down league right now. Peyton and Brady can no longer lay claims to be the champions in waiting like they were this past decade. If the Bills can add a few key pieces on defense they'll be a very hard team to beat next season and will even have a chance to win the division if certain key pieces fall into place. The tide is turning, you just refuse to see it.

All the above noted teams are not only better than the Bills but their organizations (ownership/front office) are immensely better than ours. You won't find any credible NFL analyst who would say otherwise.

Look at the Bills record this year and then compare it to the Jets and Pats records. As much as you would like it to be we are not at their doorstep. You have to realize that being a loyal fan doesn't mean that you lose all sense of objectivity and reasonableness.

Edited by JohnC

There is no doubt that Brady is the most instrumental player on the Pats. But even when he was hurt and at the time replaced by Cassel the team still won on a regular basis. The Pats are not only a better team than the Bills but their organization is much superior to our own.

The last time we played the Jets at home this season they embarrassed us. I never saw as much laughing and yucking it from the opposition as I did during that game. When a Jet player was asked by a reporter if it was a tough game, he responded: No.

All the above noted teams are not only better than the Bills but their organizations (ownership/front office) are immensely better than ours. You won't find any credible NFL analyst who would say otherwise.

Look at the Bills record this year and then compare it to the Jets and Pats records. As much as you would like it to be we are not at their doorstep. You have to realize that being a loyal fan doesn't mean that you lose all sense of objectivity and reasonableness.

I don't think you get how much this team has changed since that Jet game. This team is a hundred times better than that team was. That team was just a collection of guys who were still learning new systems, still learning their rolls, still learning about themselves, still waiting on a leader to give them hope.

Well they may not be beating the good teams, but the only reason that they aren't is because they're beating themselves. Not because they aren't any good as you would naively suggest.

This is the first time the Bills have a REAL locker room since the Wade Phillips days. This is a TEAM again. Maybe you're just to young to know what it is that I'm talking about. That's ok, just watch them and learn.

Well they may not be beating the good teams, but the only reason that they aren't is because they're beating themselves. Not because they aren't any good as you would naively suggest.

The Bills are entering the twelth game of the season. They haven't beaten a single team with a winning record. What does that tell you? The Bills are playing hard and close to their capabilities. They should be saluted for that. At this point of their embryonic development they simply lack the required talent to be a serious team.

This is the first time the Bills have a REAL locker room since the Wade Phillips days. This is a TEAM again. Maybe you're just to young to know what it is that I'm talking about. That's ok, just watch them and learn.

I have been watching them. That is why I am stating what is very obvious. You don't accept my point of view. That's is fine. The owner certainly does. And he has sent out his message: PAIN AND PATIENCE.

Edited by JohnC

I have been watching them. That is why I am stating what is very obvious. You don't accept my point of view. That's is fine. The owner certainly does. And he has sent out his message: PAIN AND PATIENCE.

Yep, differing points of view are fine. They make boards like this worthwhile. For what it is worth, Ralph Wilson made certain statements about the quarterback and the developement of the team, back in early October when the team was 0 - 5 and coming off embarrasing home losses to Jacksonville and NY Jets. If you are going to offer those statements to support your opinion, please acknowledgethat those statements were made prior to current events which have shown dramatic improvement in on the field performance by the entire team, a couple of wins sandwiched between 4 close calls against playoff caliber competion, and the emergence of Ryan Fitzpatrick and Stevie Johnson as viable offensive weapons. Yes, they are a work in progress. But the progress is visible and tangible for any willing to look honestly and acknowledge the developement of this team, despite the unexpected nature of that progress. I certainly don't speak for Mr. Wilson, but I suspect that his opinions have shifted since he made those remarks.

Yep, differing points of view are fine. They make boards like this worthwhile. For what it is worth, Ralph Wilson made certain statements about the quarterback and the developement of the team, back in early October when the team was 0 - 5 and coming off embarrasing home losses to Jacksonville and NY Jets. If you are going to offer those statements to support your opinion, please acknowledgethat those statements were made prior to current events which have shown dramatic improvement in on the field performance by the entire team, a couple of wins sandwiched between 4 close calls against playoff caliber competion, and the emergence of Ryan Fitzpatrick and Stevie Johnson as viable offensive weapons. Yes, they are a work in progress. But the progress is visible and tangible for any willing to look honestly and acknowledge the developement of this team, despite the unexpected nature of that progress. I certainly don't speak for Mr. Wilson, but I suspect that his opinions have shifted since he made those remarks.

You are missing my basic point that I have made in my numerous postings on this topic. Are the Bills improved? Of course. I have not said otherwise. My central point is that they are far from being the type of team to compete with the upper tier teams, even in our own division. It is my view that teams such as New England, Pitts, Baltimore etc have not only better teams (most people wouldn't dispute that issue) but they also have stronger organizations (most NFL analysts wouldn't dispute that issue either).

If I am off on that observation then tell me where?

Edited by JohnC

The average fan would wilt under the pressure of having to garner ratings covering a team with 60 wins this decade. Losing gets old, especially for talk show hosts who have to develop discussion topics and deal with mouth breathing fans at the same time.

The average fan would wilt under the pressure of having to garner ratings covering a team with 60 wins this decade. Losing gets old, especially for talk show hosts who have to develop discussion topics and deal with mouth breathing fans at the same time.

Some people can't handle the reality. So they create their own delusion. If you disagree with the fiction then you become a pariah. And the beat goes on. LOL