Bills Could Have Gotten More for Lynch>

BillsNYC

No, dipstick.  It was people from other NFL teams.  Their pro personnel departments put grades on players so that the GM knows what they'd be willing to trade should  that player become available.

Basically, a bunch of random teams' pro personnel departments had 3rd round grades on lynch.  But since genius Nix didn't broadcast to teams that Lynch was available, these teams were never given the chance to trade a 3rd rounder.

Everyone knew he was worth a 3rd.   

Shefter reported that the Seahawks themselves offered a 3rd rounder to the Bills the week before the trade.

The Bills wanted 2 picks, so countered with a 4th and 6th in 2012.

Where exactly did Jay Glazer make any mention of "multipple teams" willing to offer more than Seattle? He has reported no such thing and I'm not sure why Florio would attribute the report to him.

It's not in Glazer's online column or twitter, and the ba-dum-bump zinger "I'll figure out women before I figure out the Bills." was something he said on MSNBC or NBC the day after the trade and not in relation to the "multiple interested teams" willing to give up more than a 4th and conditional 5th. It sounds like Mike Florio is twisting what Glazer actually said and stirring the pot because he knows Bills fans get worked up and will click on his ****ty blog.

I was listening to WECK before the game. They have the Fox pregame show on live, with Bradshaw, etc.........They went to their "Insider" Glazer - and, during his report he said exactly what Florio said he did.......Anybody who watched the Fox pregame or listened to it on WECK will be able to corroborate.

Shefter reported that the Seahawks themselves offered a 3rd rounder to the Bills the week before the trade.

Except, Schefter never reported that becaus the Seahawks traded their 3rd round pick in the 2010 draft to the Eagles back in 2009. And they also don't have a 3rd round pick in this upcoming draft, so. There's that.

I was listening to WECK before the game. They have the Fox pregame show on live, with Bradshaw, etc.........They went to their "Insider" Glazer - and, during his report he said exactly what Florio said he did.......Anybody who watched the Fox pregame or listened to it on WECK will be able to corroborate.

Gotcha. Thanks.

Edited by Punch

What will it take for some homers to finally stop giving Bills management the benefit of the doubt? Every negative report is ridiculed, every reporter discredited with questionable reasons, and inexplicable moves forgotten.

This is the same team that re-signed Chris Kelsay to a contract extension after all. Anyone still wonder why Buddy never got a GM job?

Edited by BillsVet

I took the liberty of emphasizing the key point, IMO.

So, it sounds like Modrak might be the true problem, no?

This guy has remained employed at OBD but even with a decade in his pocket he can't scout to save his life.

When we finally get rid of this dead weight Donahoe holdover?

Modrak is semi-retired. He doesn't even work at OBD - he lives in FLORIDA! Buddy Nix is a joke too - make some f'in phone calls, or better yet - trade Lynch in the offseason!! He cost us Joique Bell by sitting on Lynch.

Haven't been a fan of Nix or Gailey so far, however this seems like the work of a couple of GM's covering their behinds. Green Bay and Philadelphia fans were pretty pissed at their GMs for not making this move, and by telling this to Glazer, these GMs collectively passed the blame onto the Bills.

Do all of you really believe it is a coincidence that this article ran shortly after an article in which Mort reported that players, coaches, and scouts were upset with the failure of Packer's GM Ted Thompson to hammer out a deal??

Edited by DaBills51

People like ESPN's John Clayton had been saying all along the Bills would be lucky to get a 4th for Lynch---and that's what they got---PLUS a 5th or a 6th in 2012.

Considering Laurence Maroney was traded for a 4th and New England had to give back a 6th to Denver. I think the Bills did better than fine.

Let's move on!

So far, the people poo-pooing the rumor have as much proof that it was false as Gabe has that it was true. Someone get some evidence that Glazer and his cohorts are trying to publicly humiliate the Bills with false accusations, or conversely, someone get a quote from at least one other team who wanted to talk to Buddy about Lynch but couldn't get him to the phone. PLEASE!!! Someone make this thread actually MEAN something!

So far, the people poo-pooing the rumor have as much proof that it was false as Gabe has that it was true. Someone get some evidence that Glazer and his cohorts are trying to publicly humiliate the Bills with false accusations, or conversely, someone get a quote from at least one other team who wanted to talk to Buddy about Lynch but couldn't get him to the phone. PLEASE!!! Someone make this thread actually MEAN something!

Where did anyone state that "Glazer and his cohorts are trying to publicly humiliate the Bills with false accusations?"

In case you skipped over my post let me reiterate.....this seems like the work of a couple of GM's protecting themselves from an angry fan base. Green Bay and Philadelphia fans were pretty pissed at their GMs for not making this move, and by telling this to Glazer, these GMs collectively passed the blame onto the Bills.

Like I also stated in my previous post, this article ran shortly after an article in which Mort reported that players, coaches, and scouts were upset with the failure of Packer's GM Ted Thompson to hammer out a deal. I doubt that the timing of this news is purely coincidental. Thompson and the other GMs are not stupid. Even if the Bills claim that this rumor is false, it will end up being one person's word vs another, and therefore nothing can be proven true.

No, dipstick. It was people from other NFL teams. Their pro personnel departments put grades on players so that the GM knows what they'd be willing to trade should that player become available.

Basically, a bunch of random teams' pro personnel departments had 3rd round grades on lynch. But since genius Nix didn't broadcast to teams that Lynch was available, these teams were never given the chance to trade a 3rd rounder.

So you think each personnel department assigns each player in the NFL with a draft compensation grade? And then tells Florio and Glazer what their grade was, and how stumped they are they didn't get a phone call?

The whole idea is improbable: "Would give you a 3rd round pick if you would only have call us" .... come on people, I would have married Heidi Klum if she would have just called me. But, just like my relatioship with Heidi, it's over, let's move on!

No, dipstick. It was people from other NFL teams. Their pro personnel departments put grades on players so that the GM knows what they'd be willing to trade should that player become available.

Basically, a bunch of random teams' pro personnel departments had 3rd round grades on lynch. But since genius Nix didn't broadcast to teams that Lynch was available, these teams were never given the chance to trade a 3rd rounder.

Gabe Northern just called you a dipstick!

Shefter? Well, then it must be true. I can't believe these guys get paid for a living.

I could almost believe this, given some of the moves this FO is making. However, as others have pointed out here, if there were any GM's that would've given up a 3rd rounder or better for Lynch, why didn't THEY call? That's a 2 way street, and it doesn't make any sense to me why a team that wanted Lynch so badly that they're wringing their hands over it now, wouldn't have taken the initiative to call and inquiry about his availability when it was clear he was on the trading block since we drafted Spiller back in April.

Where exactly did Jay Glazer make any mention of "multipple teams" willing to offer more than Seattle? He has reported no such thing and I'm not sure why Florio would attribute the report to him.

It's not in Glazer's online column or twitter, and the ba-dum-bump zinger "I'll figure out women before I figure out the Bills." was something he said on MSNBC or NBC the day after the trade and not in relation to the "multiple interested teams" willing to give up more than a 4th and conditional 5th. It sounds like Mike Florio is twisting what Glazer actually said and stirring the pot because he knows Bills fans get worked up and will click on his ****ty blog.

Um, Glazer actually appears on TV. A lot.

What will it take for some homers to finally stop giving Bills management the benefit of the doubt? Every negative report is ridiculed, every reporter discredited with questionable reasons, and inexplicable moves forgotten.

This is the same team that re-signed Chris Kelsay to a contract extension after all. Anyone still wonder why Buddy never got a GM job?

Amen brother. The adjectives anyone would use to describe our front office are dysfunctional, inept, a joke, imcompetant, clueless. I honestly would take a knowledgeble fan to run this organization over the keystone cop jokes we've had running this team for 10 years. There is no defense for this organization---none. They suck plain and simple. The 84-85 teams had more talent than this group of losers. I sick to death of people defending Modrak, just stop it, his drafting record is what it is. Like his scouts didnt comeback with glowing reports on the stiffs we drafted. How anyone could get excited when we settled for Foghorn Leghorn Nix, who has never been a GM, and Chan Gailey, is beyond me. This team doesnt know how to scout, draft, trade, manage money, or hire coaches. Football is one of the few businesses where you can make money, while being completely incompetant, simply by being part of the NFL.

Um, Glazer actually appears on TV. A lot.

Um, yeah, but um, if this were something he felt was a significant detail I would assume he'd mention in it in his online column. So, I asked for clarification if it had been seen. So, um, yeah. Why are there so many snotty bitches in this board?

Modrak is semi-retired. He doesn't even work at OBD - he lives in FLORIDA! Buddy Nix is a joke too - make some f'in phone calls, or better yet - trade Lynch in the offseason!! He cost us Joique Bell by sitting on Lynch.

That is why I'd love an open door understanding of the "brain" trust at OBD.

I think any criticism of Nix, Whaley, and Gailey are too premature. We've got to give these guys a good 3 years to see if signs of improvement have begun. 5 for success to start.

If Modrak is a part-timer, then why is he employed?

Nobody else in Bills land seems to give a flying bleep about Modrak, but I'm really ticked about this guy still being employed after his horrendous track record. It frustrates me that we have no discernible talent on this team, despite the Director of Scouting having been at it for 10 years now.

I could see if he hits home runs more than he strikes out on players; but sadly, with the exception of the occasional undrafted free agent making it big, Modrak has proven impotent.

And when people make the argument that Modrak is being overruled in the "war room", then why is he still employed if his opinion means nothing and the coaches will do their own thing? Why keep him?

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. We've had multiple GM changes, changes in Pro Personnel people, changes in the coaching staff, and player turnover. Yet the results are the same (and getting worse). Based on that, there is a constant within the organization, THAT HAS NOT CHANGED, that is continuing this masochistic regime.

The knee-jerk reaction is to blame Ralph- and there is some validity to this as he IS the owner. However, the stories of the in-house battles between then-GM Bill Polian and money men Littman and Overdorf were never addressed by the organization. Now Polian, AJ Smith, and Butler are gone, but Littman and Overdorf remain.

I think all 3 men: Littman, Overdorf, and Modrak need to either leave or lose any power in the say of the future of the Bills organization.

And I hear you on J. Bell. We lost Chad Simpson to Washington, too. I thought the 2 of them were excellent, with Simpson looking like a nice Spiller-esque clone. I thought Lynch was expendable when those 2 guys were onboard.

i would love to know exactly which GM/team would have given more......then i would like to know what GM/team was sleeping under a rock and didn't realize the Bills were interested in moving lynch....lol....EVERYONE knew he was in play.....why didn't that team just call the bills if they were interested??

I'll add dont sleep on the first day of free agency when your team has multiple holes and doesnt have the personel to run the 3-4. It's going to take a lot more than some draft choices to polish this turd.

I think any criticism of Nix, Whaley, and Gailey are too premature. We've got to give these guys a good 3 years to see if signs of improvement have begun. 5 for success to start.

Agreed. Although, I hope for success sooner.

And I hear you on J. Bell. We lost Chad Simpson to Washington, too. I thought the 2 of them were excellent, with Simpson looking like a nice Spiller-esque clone. I thought Lynch was expendable when those 2 guys were onboard.

This is Chad Simpson's third year in the league and couldn't stick with Indianapolis for two tries nor us for one. J. Bell was not only undrafted but was even free for anyone to sign from our practice squad for several weeks after the season started before the Eagles finally did. Neither runningback has logged a carry for either of their new teams. I liked the work that Simpson did, and I thought that J. Bell had real possibilities to be an NFL caliber runningback, but keep it in perspective, NEITHER were NFL ready runningbacks right now and might never be. There are LOTS of guys who have potential to be NFL players but most don't make it. So I'm mildly sad not to have JBell on our team but I'm still rooting for him, but all he is at the moment is potential.

But why are we assuming the article meant Green Bay? It said "teams", not "team", and didn't even name Green Bay at all. Just sayin'. You guys are starting to seem like OBD PR people.

Oh, I'm not assuming anything about Green Bay. It just makes no sense that a lot of teams were interested, but none had someone pick up the phone and make a call.

Why am I starting to seem like a Bills' PR person? Because I'm questioning a news article that is, in fact, questionable?

Edited by Offsides Number 76

Agreed. Although, I hope for success sooner.

This is Chad Simpson's third year in the league and couldn't stick with Indianapolis for two tries nor us for one. J. Bell was not only undrafted but was even free for anyone to sign from our practice squad for several weeks after the season started before the Eagles finally did. Neither runningback has logged a carry for either of their new teams. I liked the work that Simpson did, and I thought that J. Bell had real possibilities to be an NFL caliber runningback, but keep it in perspective, NEITHER were NFL ready runningbacks right now and might never be. There are LOTS of guys who have potential to be NFL players but most don't make it. So I'm mildly sad not to have JBell on our team but I'm still rooting for him, but all he is at the moment is potential.

True, but Bell has more potential than Andre Anderson. It's the little things that this organization does so poorly that adds up over time.

Let me get this straight: Jay Glazer says that there were several teams interested in Lynch but the Bills missed on getting more value because Nix didn't call any other teams? Was it not news that Lynch was being shopped and any NFL team could have called Nix?

I'm serious. You are telling me that no NFL team who wanted Lynch couldn't call Nix? Nix has to be the guy who calls? It's not like it was some state secret that the Bills were shopping Lynch. Is this friggin' high school asking for dates??? I smell bull ****.

PTR

Let me get this straight: Jay Glazer says that there were several teams interested in Lynch but the Bills missed on getting more value because Nix didn't call any other teams? Was it not news that Lynch was being shopped and any NFL team could have called Nix?

I'm serious. You are telling me that no NFL team who wanted Lynch couldn't call Nix? Nix has to be the guy who calls? It's not like it was some state secret that the Bills were shopping Lynch. Is this friggin' high school asking for dates??? I smell bull ****.

PTR

Now you've gone and done it. Now all the WGR listening/Sully reading idiots will be out in full force.....

PTR

Now you've gone and done it. Now all the WGR listening/Sully reading idiots will be out in full force.....

There were reports that The Eagles, Patriots*, Packers, Chargers, Seahawks, Rams and Broncos all talked to the Bills about Lynch!

So despite being linked to no less than 7 other NFL teams, Glazer insists the Bills didn't contact anyone about trading Marshawn?? I swear guys like Glazer just make this crap up.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

What really confuses me is after the Bills trade Lynch to the Seahawks for a 4th round pick, Pete Carrol turns around and trade Deion Branch to the Pats for a 4th round pick. How does he get practically the same thing for Branch, a thirty something receiver with multiple knee surgeries who is a shadow of his oldself, that Nix got for a young, inexpensive workhorse running back? Basically, Carroll traded Lynch for Deion Branch. He is starting to look as much like a genius as Belicheat and the clowns we have are looking baaaaaaad!

There were reports that The Eagles, Patriots*, Packers, Chargers, Seahawks, Rams and Broncos all talked to the Bills about Lynch!

So despite being linked to no less than 7 other NFL teams, Glazer insists the Bills didn't contact anyone about trading Marshawn?? I swear guys like Glazer just make this crap up.

PTR

They do. Is there any doubt any longer?... Too much evidence.

It's hip to Bills Bash whether the particular comment is correct or fabricated.

What really confuses me is after the Bills trade Lynch to the Seahawks for a 4th round pick, Pete Carrol turns around and trade Deion Branch to the Pats for a 4th round pick. How does he get practically the same thing for Branch, a thirty something receiver with multiple knee surgeries who is a shadow of his oldself, that Nix got for a young, inexpensive workhorse running back? Basically, Carroll traded Lynch for Deion Branch. He is starting to look as much like a genius as Belicheat and the clowns we have are looking baaaaaaad!

If Lynch hadn't had so many off the field incidents, not only with the Bills but also dating back to college, I think he could have easily netted more. The off the field stuff over the last 2 years or so has greatly affected his production on the field, no? He had the same year as Branch in 2009, despite the age discrepancy. And actually, the Bills netted slightly more than was returned for Branch.

Edited by Punch

Hope morons on this board are starting to put together why Buddy Nix was never considered GM material.

Basically, the Seahawks kept calling and eventually the Bills gave in to their trade

Face it. Lynch IS 4th Round material.

If Lynch hadn't had so many off the field incidents, not only with the Bills but also dating back to college, I think he could have easily netted more. The off the field stuff over the last 2 years or so has greatly affected his production on the field, no? He had the same year as Branch in 2009, despite the age discrepancy. And actually, the Bills netted slightly more than was returned for Branch.

Yeah, and anyone dealing for Lynch would have to keep in mind that he's a minor transgression away from sitting out a season. That's not the case w/ Branch.