Owners want 18 games, players don't

The players take enough of a beating in 16 games. But the NFL needs more games for TV. What to do?

1) Reduce the pre-season to 2 games and maybe a scrimmage.

2) Add a second bye week.

3) Add Tuesday and/or Wednesday night games.

4) Have teams coming off a bye play those games.

5) Add 1 more playoff team per conference, from 6 to 7.

6) Add an extra week to the playoffs by having the 6th and 7th seed play a play-in game to the wild card round.

The result: Regular season is 18 weeks, playoffs are 6 weeks, pre-season is two weeks. More games for TV. Two new nights of NFL football. An extra week to the most exciting part of the season: the playoffs. Players actually play fewer games instead of more, but season is longer. Win win win!

Discuss.

PTR

I'm not a big fan of an 18 game schedule. I think a 16 game season with the playoffs is grueling enough as it is. Adding another 2 games will take it's toll on players health and you'll see a lot more injuries over the course of the season. This will dilute the talent across the league. There has been talk of teams needing to increase the 53 man roster so this will further dilute the talent across the league. I believe rosters will increase to 57-58 players if they do agree to an 18 game schedule.

I thought a 17 game regular season, with each team playing one neutral game site was an interesting idea. It also falls in line with Goodell's outlook for increasing a global audience, assuming most of the neutral game sites could be internationally hosted games. All in all I'm not a big fan of the games in London etc., but we already lose 1 per year to Toronto so why not have the other 31 teams go through the same thing. In the end I think the 17 game regular season will be the compromise.

Edited by Estro

I remember part of the Unions argument was that they would only be getting paid contracts for 16 games vs 18 games and they would want to be paid for the extra 2 regular season games. While I see their point, that it increases the risk to get injured I am in favor at the moment. That could change, but I definately want to reduce preseason games down to no more than 3. While I understand that teams need the time to evaluate young talent I do not think it has to come in preseason. I think the NFL should put together better opportunities to yield scrimmages. I do not remember the last time I saw the Bills and Browns scrimmage being an event but it always seemed fun. To put together a couple teams to just practice seems as important as preseason.

If the NFL wants more TV, add a couple of more bye weeks. People still watch football, even when their team isn't playing. The added benefit is players are probably healthier at the end of the year and everyone gets to recharge their batteries a couple more times.

If the NFL wants more TV, add a couple of more bye weeks. People still watch football, even when their team isn't playing. The added benefit is players are probably healthier at the end of the year and everyone gets to recharge their batteries a couple more times.

Agree with the added bye weeks mnetioned by you and PTR.

NFL economics will soon require 18 games to float financially --- but player bodies can barely make it through 16. The added bye weeks is a good compromise solution.

I personally would look forward to watching the final regular season games in mid-January.

I'm with the players on this one. To be honest, I'd drop a preseason game and add 2 teams to the playoffs. Keep the Regular season 16 games. They'll make much more money on the extra playoff games than they do on the PS... And the players will be healthier.

I think this is a bargaining ploy by owners, they're going to drop the 18 game thing as a concession to players in order to get them to agreement on the new CBA.

Adding an extra bye week per team would be a good way for the NFL to stretch the season, while offering the players extra time to get healthy and play a better game. The big winner would be the fans, not the owners or players, which makes me skeptical of it happening.

Giving more teams an outside chance at the playoffs is an entertaining idea that appeals to the underdog mentality, but it would have more consequences than adding one more fun game to watch. The top seeds would be sitting and gaining rust for an additional week, while the 6 seed team takes an extra beating.

Also, if expanding to 7 teams per conference, why not just take 8? Even numbers make simpler brackets.

Adding more single-game nights during the week is not something I want to see. They get put on national channels, and local markets don't get to watch them. I don't just mean Thursday night games - I don't have cable anymore and don't get to watch Monday Night Football either. Besides, if there's football on that many nights of the week for a longer season, the part of peoples' lives that doesn't revolve around football will disintegrate. I don't need more encouragement to watch tv and drink.

I'm with the players on this one. To be honest, I'd drop a preseason game and add 2 teams to the playoffs. Keep the Regular season 16 games. They'll make much more money on the extra playoff games than they do on the PS... And the players will be healthier.

I think this is a bargaining ploy by owners, they're going to drop the 18 game thing as a concession to players in order to get them to agreement on the new CBA.

The players are not paid per game, so technically, aren't they already being paid to play in PS games? In fact, they are paid for every game--whether they play or not. Perhaps if they want extra money for extra games, they would like to miss a check for games they miss?

I would love to see bye weeks were say the entire AFC East and NFC South are off that week. The next week they ALL play other teams coming off bye so all AFC east teams could play each other or all the AFC east play NFC south if that rotation is in place. This way teams coming off a bye are also playing teams who had a bye week. You could do this twice in the season starting week 6 rotating through all 4 conferences and than again. If they think they want 18 games they MUST expand the active roster.

As it is now, if you include the preseason, you are at 20 games anyway.

Reduce the preseason to 2 games.

Expand the roster to 60 and no more game day inactives. I have never understood why they have game day inactives anyway.

Keep 1 bye week.

Expand the playoff teams in each conference.

The players are not paid per game, so technically, aren't they already being paid to play in PS games? In fact, they are paid for every game--whether they play or not. Perhaps if they want extra money for extra games, they would like to miss a check for games they miss?

They are paid per game during the regular season if they are on the roster, regardless of whether they are playing.

as for preseason - they get some $$ but not a game check.

They are paid per game during the regular season if they are on the roster, regardless of whether they are playing.

as for preseason - they get some $$ but not a game check.

Well if they are on the roster and they get paid for every game whether they are present or not, it's not really like getting paid per game. Functionally they are paid for the season. If they want to be be truly paid per game (or extra games), they should be suited up and on the active roster.

Moneymoneymoney.........MONEY

That's what it's going to come down to.

Rosters will be expanded (more players making MONEY)

Revenue will be increased and shared with the players (MONEY)

Healthcare for retired players will be expanded beyond the current 5 year limit (benefits=MONEY)

I'm sure there will be other concessions, but the 18 game schedule will (IMO) come to pass.

Well if they are on the roster and they get paid for every game whether they are present or not, it's not really like getting paid per game. Functionally they are paid for the season. If they want to be be truly paid per game (or extra games), they should be suited up and on the active roster.

They get game checks, guys who are hurt and not playing still get game checks. But functionally they are only paid during the regular season.

Their point is their contract is divided by 16 and paid that way. The numbers are negotiated on 16 games. You want more games pay us for the 2 extra games we are playing

Sometimes more is less. The league already increased the season up from 14 games, which at one point was determined an appropriate season length. 16 is a stretch as is, and eliminating 2 preseason games doesn't do much for the health of your starters because they don't see but so much preseason action.

Plus, if you're an established team the extra 2 preseason games are a waste. If you're in the position the Bills are right now, that's valuable time to practice plays and evaluate players.

The players take enough of a beating in 16 games. But the NFL needs more games for TV. What to do?

6) Add an extra week to the playoffs by having the 6th and 7th seed play a play-in game to the wild card round.

The result: Regular season is 18 weeks, playoffs are 6 weeks, pre-season is two weeks. More games for TV. Two new nights of NFL football. An extra week to the most exciting part of the season: the playoffs. Players actually play fewer games instead of more, but season is longer. Win win win!

Discuss.

PTR

More football = :)

PROMO FOR COMMISSIONER!

The 18 game schedule is a mortal lock because of the TV rights. The NFL will get to add a 12.5% premium for amount of regular season games played plus escalators (yearly increases hedging against potential inflationary deflationary losses).

Players make more money with more TV revenue as the cap rises, so what do they have to complain about but the % they get?? 0.

Adding an extra bye week per team would be a good way for the NFL to stretch the season, while offering the players extra time to get healthy and play a better game. The big winner would be the fans, not the owners or players, which makes me skeptical of it happening.

Giving more teams an outside chance at the playoffs is an entertaining idea that appeals to the underdog mentality, but it would have more consequences than adding one more fun game to watch. The top seeds would be sitting and gaining rust for an additional week, while the 6 seed team takes an extra beating.

Also, if expanding to 7 teams per conference, why not just take 8? Even numbers make simpler brackets.

Adding more single-game nights during the week is not something I want to see. They get put on national channels, and local markets don't get to watch them. I don't just mean Thursday night games - I don't have cable anymore and don't get to watch Monday Night Football either. Besides, if there's football on that many nights of the week for a longer season, the part of peoples' lives that doesn't revolve around football will disintegrate. I don't need more encouragement to watch tv and drink.

The two-week bye for seeds #1 & #2 might be troublesome but why wouldn't any team want two weeks to prepare for the playoffs. If anything it would ensure the truly better teams advance. I wanted to keep playoff qualifiers to 7 because once you are at 8 you are like the NHL with half of the 16 teams getting in. Plus the road to the Super Bowl for seeds #6 & #7 should be tougher. The higher seeds earned an easier road.

The only other negative I could see is trying to play on a Tuesday or Wednesday night. I could see that being tough on fans on a work night.

Keep in mind even with the extra week of playoffs players still wind up playing two fewer games. One more idea I'd like to add on: Don't make the Hall of fame game an extra pre-season game. Just have the two teams start their pre-season schedule a week early and then give them a bye week after. That way they don't have to play an extra game.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Has there been any talk of how they would schedule the two extra games? I like the structure of the NFL schedule. You know who they're playing next year the second the season ends. I can't think of a structured way to take care of those two extra games. Something with the two in-conference divisions that you're not already playing against?

Edited by shrader

Discuss.

PTR

There are negative side effects to some of those proposals.

3) I would not be a fan of adding any more games outside of the weekends. I have season tickets and travel nearly 6hours x2 to attend games. This would make more games that I'm paying for and not able to attend.

More games, and games played during the week would dilute 'The brand'. Resulting in each game being less important and saturating the market.

5) They are adding more games, not more teams. I like how making the playoffs actually means something.

I talked with George Wilson on this topic at SJF while he was doing signatures. Here are his points:

1. Owners want 18 games without increasing salary of players. When I asked if he would take two more gameday paychecks of the same amount that he currently receives, he agreed that would be fair
  2. He believes that even at 16 games the players should have another bye-week as the season is long and strenuous.
  3. He believes that the NFL should adopt IR rules like hockey or baseball.
  4. He believes that with an increased schedule there should be more roster space, which Whitner also chimed and agreed with.

All of these things I can agree with. I would say that owners should get a larger piece of the pie cover other operating expenses as 60% of revenue goes to the players. I would say that 18 game schedule really doesn't make sense just on the basis of where do they get these extra two games from? If anything a 19 game schedule actually makes more sense:

1. Under the current format, there are 16 games broken down as follows: 6 divisional, 4 from another division within your conference, 2 more from the other divisions in your conference based upon your place in your division from previous year, and 4 from a division in the other conference.
  2. To make an 18 game schedule the most rational thing you could do is rotate which 2 divisions from the other conference you would face the corresponding teams from those divisions based on their divisional standing from the previous season. For example, on top of playing the NFC North, the Bills would also play 2 out of the follow 3 teams based on the record last year: Washington, Tampa, and St. Louis.

For this work, you would rotate all four divisions in the opposite conference, with one division having all four teams facing your side, and one division with no teams facing your side.

[*]

To make a 19 game schedule work, it is much simpler. You still play one division from the opposite conference and the corresponding team from each of the other divisions in that opposite conference (ie. Bills face NFC North and Washington, Tampa, and St. Louis.)

GREED !! As always is the driving factor here and ultimately i think it is a bad thing for the NFL !!

IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON'T FIX IT !!!

The NFL owners have been payING to close of attention to the Gov't & are trying to get deeper into the peoples

pockets. They need to look at the pro's & con's.

#1 & most important to owners) GREED !!!

#2 & most important for fans of the NFL) more injuries , shorter careers , the saturation factor

(look at MLB & NBA TV comparisons to NFL)

As i said in the beginning

IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON'T FIX IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by T master

Discuss.

PTR

1. - ok, but don't add more regular season games. 16 is good enough

2. Good idea

3. Bad Idea, tues? or wed? come on, ughh

4. ???

5. Bad Idea, we don't need more garbage teams in the playoffs, if anything, they need to get rid of wildcard

6. No, never...

I'm not a fan of expanding the playoffs because I think it would cheapen what it means to win in the regular season but adding the extra bye week sounds like a good idea and so does playing games on another day during the week (like Friday or Tuesday). However, I really don't think this stuff needs to be done because it seems like the NFL is not in as bad of a financial position as we might believe.

1. Under the current format, there are 16 games broken down as follows: 6 divisional, 4 from another division within your conference, 2 more from the other divisions in your conference based upon your place in your division from previous year, and 4 from a division in the other conference.
  2. To make an 18 game schedule the most rational thing you could do is rotate which 2 divisions from the other conference you would face the corresponding teams from those divisions based on their divisional standing from the previous season. For example, on top of playing the NFC North, the Bills would also play 2 out of the follow 3 teams based on the record last year: Washington, Tampa, and St. Louis.

For this work, you would rotate all four divisions in the opposite conference, with one division having all four teams facing your side, and one division with no teams facing your side.

[*]

To make a 19 game schedule work, it is much simpler. You still play one division from the opposite conference and the corresponding team from each of the other divisions in that opposite conference (ie. Bills face NFC North and Washington, Tampa, and St. Louis.)

I was thinking you would just add one game each from the inner-conference teams you are playing based on record from the year before. If you finish 3rd or 4th you play the 3rd and 4th finishing teams from the two divisions in your own conference that your division is not playing. Same thing if you finish 1st or 2nd.

So for the Bills this year it would be they play the 4 AFC North teams and then the 3rd and 4th place team from the AFC South and the 3rd and 4th place team from the AFC West.

I recall there was one season where there were two bye weeks for some reason?? Like had to do with when Super Bowl was scheduled and when they wanted the first week. It use to be the first week of the seaosn often was on Labor Day weekend. The league has totally eliminated thta now and always starts a week later. With the extra playoff round and extra bye, likely would have to start last weekeknd in Augst to end with SB being the 1st weekend in Feb.

I have one of those sport fact's of the day ripoff calendars. Always funny when you read how mack in 196X something the NFL championship game was held on Dec 29th or so. I'm old enough to recal lthe 1967 Ice Bowl being played over Christmas vacation.

May have to also increase roster sizes becasue even if not playing a game the extra week, there still could be injuries in practices. One suggestion I've seen is make the 53 man roster the actual active roster and expand practice squard to 10.

Discuss.

PTR

I'm not a fan of expanding the playoffs because I think it would cheapen what it means to win in the regular season but adding the extra bye week sounds like a good idea and so does playing games on another day during the week (like Friday or Tuesday). However, I really don't think this stuff needs to be done because it seems like the NFL is not in as bad of a financial position as we might believe.

If you "win the regular season", you will make the playoffs.

Becuase there are relatively few games played compared to MLB/NHL/NBA, little really separates many teams from playoff spots (except for the really bad teams).

In 2009, there were 5 9-7 teams (4 in the AFC) and only one made it to the playoffs. In 2008, there were 4 11-5 teams and only 2 made the playoffs. There were 5 9-7 teams, 1 made it to the playoffs. Another missed out to a team that went 9-6-1.

I see nothign wrong with these essentially equal teams getting an extra game in the playoffs to prove which one belongs.

I'm not down for adding more regular season games. I'd rather see the NFL get creative with the playoffs and add the two games there somehow.

I wouldn't be disappointed in seeing preseason shortened.

Discuss.

PTR

I don't like the Tuesday/Wednesday night thing, either. Maybe it's the traditionalist in me, but the NFL should only be Sunday/Monday (and Thanksgiving). Besides TV, who benefits from the extra nights? Do the teams get any more dough for that? It's not like the NFL needs exposure, so I don't see the point of that.

Otherwise, I don't think this is a bad idea. Why did they get rid of the second bye week a few years ago, anyway?

Also, while the regular season would be 18 weeks, it would still be 16 games. Goodell & the owners want 18 games. This adds revenue for the owners.

Discuss.

PTR

I love it. They make enough money they can play a couple extra games. Screw preseason.

As a fan, Im all for it, anything to keep the football fix going as long as possible.

Now, I could play the shut-in type who needs to pop zolofts all day and types crap about how tough he is on message board and say the players need to just shut up, cash in their millions and just play a couple more games, but in reality, the league needs to take care of a few things first, for instance:

1) let the entire 53 man roster dress each game.

2) another bye week

3) throw money at making every stadium grass, or at least using Field Turf, and not Astroturf or the AstroPlay s$%t that Buffalo uses.

4) get a concussion policy in place like the NHL (they may have this in place already, anyone?)

I was thinking you would just add one game each from the inner-conference teams you are playing based on record from the year before. If you finish 3rd or 4th you play the 3rd and 4th finishing teams from the two divisions in your own conference that your division is not playing. Same thing if you finish 1st or 2nd.

So for the Bills this year it would be they play the 4 AFC North teams and then the 3rd and 4th place team from the AFC South and the 3rd and 4th place team from the AFC West.

That's pretty much what I was thinking, but I can't tell if there are any logistical issues that I'm not seeing.

I like the idea of two bye weeks -- separated minimally by 6 games.

I also think the roster size will need to increase. Rules for IR would need to change, too -- it should be possible to pull a player back off of IR. If owners are going to demand that of players, then they're going to have to give something back.

As always this topic begins and ends with money.

The players want more and more money every year and the owners want their gaudy stadiums. At some point they are going to have to agree to more regular season games that will be televised to increase the size of the TV contract, which basically pays the players salaries.

Screw number of division versus non division games. You need to speak the language of the NFL ... $$$$$$$ ... to really understand the issue.

Discuss.

PTR

There isn't going to be a compromise. The owners are more than willing and ready to take back their game. Players will be locked out until they become desperate enough to cave to whatever the owners want. This is going to basically be the equivalent of the owners taking the players, bending them over and jamming it to them sans Vaseline.

Its going to be real ugly, and the players are going to be locked out until the owners get enough of what they want.