The truth about Flutie !!!

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bleacher Report AFC East section read about the man --- the myth -- that is-- Doug Flutie !!! And it's all true !! :lol:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/422205-...ack-doug-flutie

For those who desire to waste the minute or so it takes to read this less than objective opinion piece. I wonder how long it took the author to get the scent of Flutie's bung out of his nostrils. :w00t:

Besides the fact that it is completely biased, that article looks like it was written by a third grader.

And I was a Flutie fan fwiw

That would explain the inaccuracies, such as Wade Philips being fired for the QB decision, when any Bills fan who was past the point of sentient development could have told you it was for not firing that dolt Ronnie Jones the season after the music city miracle. Doh!!

My recollection of Flutie is something like this...

He plays like sh*t for 3 quarters but the defense keeps us in the game. But then Flutie suddenly gets accurate in the 4th quarter and scrambles like a demon, leading the Bills to a last minute TD and a 17-14 victory.

The 4th quarter heroics could never quite make me forget the 3 quarters of abysmal quarterbacking.

To say this another way... I'm still saving my Kelly Krunch but my box of Flutie Flakes was eaten and discarded a long time ago.

That would explain the inaccuracies, such as Wade Philips being fired for the QB decision, when any Bills fan who was past the point of sentient development could have told you it was for not firing that dolt Ronnie Jones the season after the music city miracle. Doh!!

Actually, our current ST coach, Bruce Dehaven, was fired for the Music City Disaster. Ronnie Jones was his replacement. He had never coached ST before then and was brutally awful. You did get the part right about Wade being fired because he refused to dump Jones. Though, you might consider getting your facts completely right before bashing somebody for not having their facts right.

My recollection of Flutie was he was done as soon as the rest of the NFL had the book on him. Defenders stopped biting on his "pixie hop" move when he passed and it was all over.

PTR

I have the exact same recollection.

Actually, our current ST coach, Bruce Dehaven, was fired for the Music City Disaster. Ronnie Jones was his replacement. He had never coached ST before then and was brutally awful. You did get the part right about Wade being fired because he refused to dump Jones. Though, you might consider getting your facts completely right before bashing somebody for not having their facts right.

You're both wrong. Wade was fired because he didn't wear headphones! :lol:

Reread my post. I said he was fired for not firing Ronnie Jones the season after the music city miracle, not following the music city miracle itself, essentially the same as what you said when you were incorrect to correct me. As far as bashing, it was in agreement with the post I referenced that the article was pretty poor. Despite your historical accuracy, your comments about getting facts straight are somewhat ironic.

In the 1999 playoff game against the Tennessee Titans, Flutie was benched for the younger Rob Johnson. This move would eventually lead to the Music City Miracle and the dismissal of Coach Wade Phillips.

Wow, insanely misinformed.

He plays like sh*t for 3 quarters but the defense keeps us in the game. But then Flutie suddenly gets accurate in the 4th quarter and scrambles like a demon, leading the Bills to a last minute TD and a 17-14 victory.

The 4th quarter heroics could never quite make me forget the 3 quarters of abysmal quarterbacking.

To say this another way... I'm still saving my Kelly Krunch but my box of Flutie Flakes was eaten and discarded a long time ago.

That is a fairly accurate evaluation of Flutie's 1999 regular season performance. Had he achieved some of 1998 successes, he never would have been benched. What carried the Bills in 1999 was the defense, plain and simple.

in 1999, Flutie had to have set a record for most passes batted down in a single season. Flutie was forced by the opposing defenses to be a pocket passer and he simply wasn't good at it.

My recollection of Flutie was he was done as soon as the rest of the NFL had the book on him. Defenders stopped biting on his "pixie hop" move when he passed and it was all over.

PTR

IIRC (which has already been called in to question this evening, so take it for what it's worth) that book was authored by Belichick* as DC of the Jets on a Monday night. As soon as defenses stopped chasing him and started sitting on short and intermediate routes the so-called magic died.

Who cares? After a decade of suck, do we really have the right to question how someone wins?

Winners win. Losers lose. Flutie was a winner with the Bills and got a bum deal in the end.

Bleacher Report AFC East section read about the man --- the myth -- that is-- Doug Flutie !!! And it's all true !! :lol:

At least one thing from that article was dead false.

"Flutie mania ... around the world." I live in Japan, and I can tell you that maybe ... maybe ... one out of every hundred thousand Japanese had even heard the name, much less was a maniac.

I liked Flutie. I just wish we had gotten him a year or two earlier, because just as we got him and the team got good, his arm wore out. It was a shame. Once he lost that bit of zip, the Belichick defense started working against him ... don't bother to defend long outs or the deep routes because he can't get it there anymore.

My recollection of Flutie Edwards was he was done as soon as the rest of the NFL had the book on him. Defenders stopped biting on his "pixie hop" move when he passed and it was all over. Defenders crammed 8 men in the box and took away the patented Captain Checkdown dumpoff.

And starting RJ over Flutie goes down as probably the biggest "shoot self in foot" in all of Bills history. Still boggles the mind, but oh well. Go BILLs !!!

And starting RJ over Flutie goes down as probably the biggest "shoot self in foot" in all of Bills history. Still boggles the mind, but oh well. Go BILLs !!!

I've heard the word "gamer" applied to football players all my life. I tried to find the definition of "gamer" but couldn't...so I'll make one up. If anybody wants to tweak it...great. A player who would trade their paycheck for the week & a short hospital stay for the victory. My vivid football QB memories start with Joe Ferguson. Including him, I would say we've had two "gamers" for QB's ...Kelly & Flutie. Even in defeat, you always felt they gave you a chance. They put it all on the line. I wanted to put Phillips in a choke hold for his decision in starting Johnson in the Tenn game. Any coach who benches a gamer & starts a pretty boy in a playoff game deserves to lose...if for no other reason than stupidity.

The stats bear that out. The Bills' offense averaged 25 PPG in 1998 and then 20 PPG in 1999. The defense however went from 20.8 PPG allowed in 1998 to 14.3 in 1999.

PTR

My recollection is him getting us into field goal range ... then going 3 and out.

Doug Flutie is the only man in history to survive a Chuck Norris Roundhouse. Flutie was too short so the Roundhouse went over his head. The disturbed air caused by this eventually traveled over the Atlantic Ocean and into the tropics where it met warm water and formed the tropical cyclone that created Hurricane Katrina.

ho hum...we'll never know. I think Flutie should have started the Titans game and would have played better under pressure than Johnson did. And actually I think Johnson played pretty well in that game given the ferocious pass rush from the titans. But hell..that's just one opinion among many.

Johnson left the field with the lead. If we cover the kick, the point is mute.

Flutie was good until they figured him out. Rush the outside keeping him contained forcing him to throw over or thru the middle.

To quote one of the greatest coaches of all time, "Stats are for losers"

Cool!

The next time some member of the Flutie cult starts yammering about 21-whatever, I will gladly remind him/her

that stats are for losers, especially non-existent stats.

The stats bear that out. The Bills' offense averaged 25 PPG in 1998 and then 20 PPG in 1999. The defense however went from 20.8 PPG allowed in 1998 to 14.3 in 1999.

I guess the fact that Eric Moulds was injured in the 6th game, missed two weeks and played hurt the remainder of the season had nothing to do with that drop. The game Moulds was injured in and the two he missed were the three worst games of the season for Flutie. To make matters worse, in two of those three games, the defense was a no-show; the third was a win against the Ravens, who actually defended Flutie ten times better than Parcells and Belichick ever did...until the last minute. Flutie got ripped for that performance; he had a 32.8 QB rating that probably was in single digits until the last play of the game...little did we know at the time, that Ravens D was on the verge of being one of the best in the history of the league.

It also didn't help having Thurman miss most of the season. And even though he was way past his prime at that point, it left them with out-of-shape underachiever Antowain Smith, and untalented Jonathan Linton....not exactly two appealing options. The team finished 8th in the league in rushing with those two averaging 3.7 and 3.4 a carry; take Flutie's rushing stats away, and they drop about 10 places.

And also, Andre Reed was running on fumes; he spent the 2nd half of the season feuding with the coaches about losing playing time to Peerless Price. And even though I was disappointed in Andre for lashing out at Flutie late in the year, I agreed with his beef with the coaches because Price was absolutely horrible at fighting for balls in traffic.

I don't really relish getting into these arguments 11 years after the fact, but come on! You guys should have learned you were wrong about Flutie no later than the end of 2000; if somehow it escaped you at that time, it should have happened by the end of 2001. But here we are after 8 more years of misery, and you guys are still ripping the last decent QB we had. I get that he isn't Kelly; if someone came on here and claimed that he was better than Jimbo, then I'd agree that was nutty. That has NEVER happened, and the bashing is just so absurd that every once in a while I have to get on here and take it on.

Let's not understate his ability to avoid negative plays during those first 3 quarters so the D could keep us in the game. And the offense moved the ball consistently enough that they weren't gassed in the 4th.

I guess the fact that Eric Moulds was injured in the 6th game, missed two weeks and played hurt the remainder of the season had nothing to do with that drop. The game Moulds was injured in and the two he missed were the three worst games of the season for Flutie. To make matters worse, in two of those three games, the defense was a no-show; the third was a win against the Ravens, who actually defended Flutie ten times better than Parcells and Belichick ever did...until the last minute. Flutie got ripped for that performance; he had a 32.8 QB rating that probably was in single digits until the last play of the game...little did we know at the time, that Ravens D was on the verge of being one of the best in the history of the league.

It also didn't help having Thurman miss most of the season. And even though he was way past his prime at that point, it left them with out-of-shape underachiever Antowain Smith, and untalented Jonathan Linton....not exactly two appealing options. The team finished 8th in the league in rushing with those two averaging 3.7 and 3.4 a carry; take Flutie's rushing stats away, and they drop about 10 places.

And also, Andre Reed was running on fumes; he spent the 2nd half of the season feuding with the coaches about losing playing time to Peerless Price. And even though I was disappointed in Andre for lashing out at Flutie late in the year, I agreed with his beef with the coaches because Price was absolutely horrible at fighting for balls in traffic.

I don't really relish getting into these arguments 11 years after the fact, but come on! You guys should have learned you were wrong about Flutie no later than the end of 2000; if somehow it escaped you at that time, it should have happened by the end of 2001. But here we are after 8 more years of misery, and you guys are still ripping the last decent QB we had. I get that he isn't Kelly; if someone came on here and claimed that he was better than Jimbo, then I'd agree that was nutty. That has NEVER happened, and the bashing is just so absurd that every once in a while I have to get on here and take it on.

Excellent post. Very well said.

Jones shouldn't have been fired. He should have been reassigned to the defense, like Wade wanted

I'm sorry, were you saying something?

Flutie was done. Shot, nothing left in the tank, and we would have undoubtedly lost with him under center in that playoff game.

I'm sorry, were you saying something?

Flutie was done. Shot, nothing left in the tank, and we would have undoubtedly lost with him under center in that playoff game.

That was weak. He gives a detailed account of his position and you pull a Conner.

Did you watch the 1999 season?

:rolleyes:

I did. Flutie didn't look like the second coming of Johnny Unitas, but he did what needed to be done to win games. He fit that team like Dilfer fit the Ravens. Look what happened to both teams when they let their QB go.

I did. Flutie didn't look like the second coming of Johnny Unitas, but he did what needed to be done to win games. He fit that team like Dilfer fit the Ravens. Look what happened to both teams when they let their QB go.

Dilfer didn't lose. Flutie did, in often aggravating fashion. The Titans would have made the mighty midget look silly.

Flutie did a few things which made up for our not having an offensive line, which hurt us in the long run. I would have taken Trent Dilfer at QB over Flutie any day.....he was the QB I was hoping for when we got Bledsoe