Flozell Adams

Leonidas

2009 Scouting Report - Scouts Inc.

Grade: 71 | Key

Comment: Adams has a massive body with above-average athleticism and natural power. He's not an explosive blocker off the line of scrimmage, but can lock on and smother defenders with his length and strength. Adams has been notorious for holding calls and illegal procedure penalties and tends to guess as an edge blocker versus top defenders. He is best when he can engage his opponent early in the play and use his size to wall off defenders. He doesn't have great lateral agility to react effectively versus quick counter moves and isn't great on the second level. Adams has been playing with diminishing skills over the past few seasons and would likely be more effective at right tackle.

by contrast:

Grade: 74 | Key

Comment: Gaither is a young, ascending player and the Ravens' starting left tackle. He has tremendous size, particularly with his extreme height and overall length, to man the blind side. However, there are times when his high center of gravity is used against Gaither. Gaither remains a work in progress but is a punishing finisher in Baltimore's power blocking scheme. As he gains experience, his hand placement and understanding of his opponent will improve.

So people here advocate a 2nd round pick for Gaither who will demand $8-10M/year, instead of signing Flozell for a year or two and letting Bell/Meredith/Wang develop behind him even though Flozell is rated just under Gaither? Bizarre.

anyone find a link?

Find a link on what? It was on the NFL Network ten minutes ago. Want me to setup a webcam for you?

by contrast:

Comment: Gaither is a young, ascending player and the Ravens' starting left tackle. He has tremendous size, particularly with his extreme height and overall length, to man the blind side. However, there are times when his high center of gravity is used against Gaither. Gaither remains a work in progress but is a punishing finisher in Baltimore's power blocking scheme. As he gains experience, his hand placement and understanding of his opponent will improve.

So people here advocate a 2nd round pick for Gaither who will demand $8-10M/year, instead of signing Flozell for a year or two and letting Bell/Meredith/Wang develop behind him even though Flozell is rated just under Gaither? Bizarre.

Find a link on what? It was on the NFL Network ten minutes ago. Want me to setup a webcam for you?

Stop gap. Adams is the answer for one year. We shouldn't overpay out of desperation (see Langston Walker and Derrick Dockery)

This would make Nix's draft make sense come to think of it. Maybe they targeted Okung or Trent Williams. If they fell to #9 they would've picked one of them. If not, don't reach for one.

I sound like a broken record but the more and more we hear about post-draft news, the more and more I believe the draft did fall as Nix envisioned and Adams or Gaither was in Nix's master plan.

I heard this earlier tonight. It's good that Nix is looking into the tackles that are available out there.

I hope Adams has enough in the tank left.

He's not getting any younger, and he's nothing more than a stop-gap to getting a better long term solution. That said, he's better right now than anything else we have.

This would make Nix's draft make sense come to think of it. Maybe they targeted Okung or Trent Williams. If they fell to #9 they would've picked one of them. If not, don't reach for one.

I sound like a broken record but the more and more we hear about post-draft news, the more and more I believe the draft did fall as Nix envisioned and Adams or Gaither was in Nix's master plan.

I hate to keep referencing it but, Nevergiveup mentioned that if one of the top 2 OTs fell to them at #9, they would have selected them there. If not, Spiller was going to be the selection.

If signing Adams aids in the development of a future LT that is on the team, I am all for it.

I hate to keep referencing it but, Nevergiveup mentioned that if one of the top 2 OTs fell to them at #9, they would have selected them there. If not, Spiller was going to be the selection.

If signing Adams aids in the development of a future LT that is on the team, I am all for it.

Agreed. Bell isn't good enough to be handed the job. Bring in Adams in the hope Bell improves and beats him out. If not, at least you have a veteran there.

Honestly this most likely means that the Bills aren't going to be trading for Gaither which was what I was hoping for. As far as Adams goes it would be good to have a vet anchor that spot for 8-11 games then if we are out of it go out and give Wang or Bell the spot for the last 8-5 games of the season.

Adams to me seems like a guy who can either squeak out a year of average LT production or be a disaster either way if the money is right take the chance we can't keep putting young LT's in compromised situations like we did with Bell last year.

Bills to add more OL help?

11:38AM ET

Buffalo Bills

Top Email

Prior to the draft, it was expected that the Buffalo Bills would emerge from the three-day extravaganza (if not the first night) with an offensive tackle to plug in to their lineup. Instead, they'll venture forth into the 2010 preseason with the same problem they had at the close of the 2009 season.

But there's a good chance that they're not yet done looking. For starters, they might take a look at veteran free agent Flozell Adams. Adams was one of the most-penalized linemen in the NFL, but he would be an upgrade from a skills standpoint. It's also possible that they re-examine trade discussions with the Baltimore Ravens for Jared Gaither. The draft came and went with Gaither still a member of the Ravens' team, but the Bills did investigate him a bit, per Pro Football Talk.

ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter brings up a key point in why Buffalo might have a difficult time attracting veteran free agents:

Adam Schefter

Re-building Bills are a tough sell

"If you're a veteran, and you've got one more chance at winning a Super Bowl, is Buffalo your choice? There aren't many worthy veteran offensive linemen out there. To find one willing to spend his last season with the Bills makes it even more challenging."

ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter brings up a key point in why Buffalo might have a difficult time attracting veteran free agents:

Adam Schefter

"If you're a veteran, and you've got one more chance at winning a Super Bowl, is Buffalo your choice? There aren't many worthy veteran offensive linemen out there. To find one willing to spend his last season with the Bills makes it even more challenging."

You know, Schefter really seems to be going out of his way to insult Bills fans (recall the comments during the Cowher chase). He is challenging Mort for #1 douche over at ESPN.

Adam Schefter

If we're competing against a Super Bowl contender for Adams' services, maybe this is an issue. Otherwise, money is money. Kind of an unnecessary obnoxious comment by Schefter. He should stick to re-gurgitating what insiders tell him.

I don't see anything wrong with what AS said.

He's right, guys "up there" in age aren't as interested in the money as they are in winning a SB.

that isn't going to happen here anytime soon, I'm afraid.

Truth hurts, but Adam's job description doesn't include "sugar coater"...

Honestly this most likely means that the Bills aren't going to be trading for Gaither which was what I was hoping for. As far as Adams goes it would be good to have a vet anchor that spot for 8-11 games then if we are out of it go out and give Wang or Bell the spot for the last 8-5 games of the season.

Adams to me seems like a guy who can either squeak out a year of average LT production or be a disaster either way if the money is right take the chance we can't keep putting young LT's in compromised situations like we did with Bell last year.

A lot of people here have said that Adams is long past his prime. I still think he'd be a good backup at the very least.

I don't see anything wrong with what AS said.

He's right, guys "up there" in age aren't as interested in the money as they are in winning a SB.

that isn't going to happen here anytime soon, I'm afraid.

Truth hurts, but Adam's job description doesn't include "sugar coater"...

What he said. :lol:

by contrast:

Try this instead, if you can't understand the folks who want Gaither instead of Flozell.

http://profootballfocus.com/by_position.ph...&numgames=1

It's the rankings of all tackles (LTs and RTs ranked together as one group). The site, profootballfocus.com , looks at every play of the season and grades the tackles on this page. Gaither is ranked 6th out of 77. He's the 4th best pass blocker and the 8th best run blocker. That's damn good.

There does seem to be juuuuuuuuuust a slight talent differential, as Flozell Adams is ranked 51st out of 77. Just a fractional little difference there. Throw in the fact that Flozell is 34 and Gaither is 24 and it's a bit easier to figure out why people here want Gaither over Adams.

Unfortunately, the Ravens have noticed all this too. They aren't getting rid of Gaither. That whole idea is based entirely on rumor and guesswork, with each guess being reported on again and again, and that second round of articles generating a third round which generates a fourth and so on. The Ravens aren't letting Gaither go.

So, in that sense, Flozell Adams would be a major upgrade on Gaither, he's only a stopgap and not particularly good anymore - he used to be terrific - but unlike Gaither, there's a possibility we could actually get him. So, yeah, pick up Flozell. He's way better than anything else we have on the roster and by the time Wang is ready, Adams will be done.

ive got a contact who works with schefter directly. I am going to contact him and see if he can find out from Schefter why exactly he'd say that. it only makes sense if we are competing against a playoff team for his services - otherwise its retire or play one more year.

Try this instead, if you can't understand the folks who want Gaither instead of Flozell.

http://profootballfocus.com/by_position.ph...&numgames=1

It's the rankings of all tackles (LTs and RTs ranked together as one group). The site, profootballfocus.com , looks at every play of the season and grades the tackles on this page. Gaither is ranked 6th out of 77. He's the 4th best pass blocker and the 8th best run blocker. That's damn good.

There does seem to be juuuuuuuuuust a slight talent differential, as Flozell Adams is ranked 51st out of 77. Just a fractional little difference there. Throw in the fact that Flozell is 34 and Gaither is 24 and it's a bit easier to figure out why people here want Gaither over Adams.

Unfortunately, the Ravens have noticed all this too. They aren't getting rid of Gaither. That whole idea is based entirely on rumor and guesswork, with each guess being reported on again and again, and that second round of articles generating a third round which generates a fourth and so on. The Ravens aren't letting Gaither go.

So, in that sense, Flozell Adams would be a major upgrade on Gaither, he's only a stopgap and not particularly good anymore - he used to be terrific - but unlike Gaither, there's a possibility we could actually get him. So, yeah, pick up Flozell. He's way better than anything else we have on the roster and by the time Wang is ready, Adams will be done.

Normally I would agree with you on what the Ravens will do... however, I think there is hope the Bills can make a deal for Gaither.

For some inexplicable reason the Bills seem to be sold on Bell at LT, Jauron's regime and now Gailey think the kid has enough talent to get the job done, I don't. He needs experience yes, but not at the price of losing games.

Bills & Cowboys have expressed interest in Jared Gaither: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/...-jared-gaither/

It's rare that a starting-caliber left tackle is available, since they're so hard to find. The problem for the Ravens is that they have two of them, and that they apparently believe 2009 first-rounder Michael Oher will become the better player, sooner rather than later.

So the question becomes whether the Ravens will move him for whatever they can get, or whether they'll keep him for another year at a salary of $2.5 million, and then watch him leave as an unrestricted free agent.

The Bills really scrood the pooch last season by letting Bell start at LT and not securing a decent FA, they also cut their own throat in an effort to save money when they cut Langston Walker who would have been light years better then anyone else at either LT or RT.

I realize that Buddy Nix loves his draft picks... but he better realize that trading next years #2 for Jared Gaither will save this years season. His job as GM will be short lived if the Bills offense plays as badly as they did last year, and a speedy RB isn't going to open holes for himself or make that line magically better, a stud at LT will.

The biggest problem with Gaither and Adams is the former is said to have a horrid work ethic and is lazy, the latter might just be at the end of his career. The question is, do the Bills have the coaches to get the best out of Gaither?

Still, the Bills didn't want to pay Jason Peters top dollars and got a 1st round pick for him. Now they have a chance to bring in a player ranked 6th out of 77 for a #2 pick...

Michael Oher was ranked 19th and Jason Peters was ranked 18th last season. They easily could have replaced Peters with Oher in the draft, they didn't and the result was a disastrous season.

If they manage to trade for Gaither the Bills are serious contenders for a playoff spot this year IMHO, if not its business as usual at OBD.

Adams has been around a cery long time. To put things in perspective, Adams was drafted the same year the Bills drafted Sam Cowart. Interestingly, Alan Faneca also came out that year (1998).

I for one would like to see them sign Adams for a year or 2. But, I think I would rather have Faneca and slide Levitre out to OT as a stop gap. Or, see how Wang does in camp and let him learn with the help of a hall of fame guard. Faneca is still a beast at run blocking.

Tough call too, because I am very high on Levitre at OG; I always likened him to Steinbach and am not fond of impeding his progress. IF Wang can play, it would be just the break this team needs.

I'm with ya, Sawchuk, I mean the off season did not end on April 24th. The Bills can also hold onto Lynch for awhile (until he becomes a noticeable problem due to absenteeism). You are not going to get a lot for him but I think a 5th to 7th rounder would have been just too little.

They should sign him for two years. Adams is an upgrade over anyone the Bills have. It will the give the younger players time to develop, and it allows the Bills to kick the can down the road until next year's draft. It will be a huge improvement over last year, and it will help with the development of the quarterback who wins the competition this summer.

They should sign him for two years. Adams is an upgrade over anyone the Bills have. It will the give the younger players time to develop, and it allows the Bills to kick the can down the road until next year's draft. It will be a huge improvement over last year, and it will help with the development of the quarterback who wins the competition this summer.

i am for anything that will upgrade the team, and adams would be. i am concerned with the present, while not ignoring the future, an attitude must start somewhere, a culture of winning has to start. we had it with kelly and co, must re-establish it.

You mean because the truth hurts?

I agree with this. Schefter has been pretty spot on in a profession that excels at mere speculation. Now if you want to find a sports reporter who truly hates Buffalo, stop and end with Mortenson.

Schefter is o.k., though.

I'd love to see them add Gaither but wouldnt be upset if we got Adams. If nothing else he's a veteran presence and perhaps Bell and Wang can learn from him..... He knows what its like to win and maybe able to bring some of that attitude and leadership to the lockeroom..... as far as paying or over paying, if Ralphs willing to cut the check who cares, its an uncapped year.... as long as year two of the contract isnt ridiculous if/when the cap returns......

The biggest problem with Gaither and Adams is the former is said to have a horrid work ethic and is lazy, the latter might just be at the end of his career. The question is, do the Bills have the coaches to get the best out of Gaither?

I have read this statement several times on this board but can't seem to find information to check it against. Can you provide a link ? I have read his performance stats and they look very good - which means he is productive and implies he is not lazy/has bad ethic.

If we're competing against a Super Bowl contender for Adams' services, maybe this is an issue. Otherwise, money is money. Kind of an unnecessary obnoxious comment by Schefter. He should stick to re-gurgitating what insiders tell him.

Yeah, no kidding. Buffalo and Chicago have pretty much the same chance at winning the Super Bowl next year: 0%