Round 7, Pick #209: QB Levi Brown - Troy

SDS

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And Corey Chavous picked LeFevour as the best QB in the entire draft. I'd go with Chavous anyday over that moronic McShay.

You're going to pick Lefevour over Bradford and Clausen? Seriously?

Say what you want, McShay sure as hell knows more than 99.9% of the idiots on this board. And I'll take him over Chavous any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

McShay just said Levi best QB chosen today

He did. Jaws liked him too but liked Crompton better. Kiper liked Lefevour. I guess we'll see. It's noteworthy that Trey Wingo (who really is a douchebag) was steering the conversation toward Crompton and Lefevour, and away from the three lesser-known QB's (including Brown and that Rusty guy).

Yes, they seem very confident in their selections. Which means they look really dumb if those guys don't pan out.

Wow. You really think anyone in 5 years is going to say something like "well the Bills sure did pick really fast and seemed so confident. If only buddy would have taken some extra time." no they're not. Is there really a point to waiting around, especially in the late rounds? No, you've scouted people and you take the highest rated player on the board. I'm still not entirely sure how a team can appear confident when they don't announce the picks.

And Corey Chavous picked LeFevour as the best QB in the entire draft. I'd go with Chavous anyday over that moronic McShay.

Corey Chavous can barely speak the English language. I'm now scout so I won purport to be one, but Corey was a safety in the NFL and I'm guessing he didn't spend a whole bunch of time with the quarterbacks coaches in the NFL. He throws out a guy that could be god so he can come back in three years and say "you heard it hear first" but when LeFevour is out of the league in three years nobody will bring up corey's "best qb in the draft" prediction because nobody will give two ***** about leFevour.

Mike Mayock, NFL Network

A couple of quick thoughts on some seventh round picks as we get started early in this round.

Buffalo finally got a QB in Levi Brown from Troy. I believe he's been undervalued all along. He was invited to the Combine, but only as a throwing QB, not a participant. I liked him on tape, and feel like he has a chance to be a very solid backup QB.

its a long way from the MAC to the NFL also, that has kind of worked for some.....

He's raw, but he sure outplayed LeFevour in the GMAC Bowl. Good arm, but it's a long way from the Sun Belt to the NFL. Still, you could do worse -- I'll take Brown over Crompton, LeFevour, Jarrett Brown, etc.

Some of the tape on Brown reminds me of JP...just sayin...

I think he actually had better #s than JP against similar competition. And it's a huge difference between a 1st rounder and 7th rounder. Losman was a developmental QB who got rushed into playing. Hopefully, they develop Brown the right way.

I think he actually had better #s than JP against similar competition. And it's a huge difference between a 1st rounder and 7th rounder. Losman was a developmental QB who got rushed into playing. Hopefully, they develop Brown the right way.

Obviously there's the first v seventh round discrepancy. Brown just bails on the pocket...A LOT.

He's raw, but he sure outplayed LeFevour in the GMAC Bowl. Good arm, but it's a long way from the Sun Belt to the NFL. Still, you could do worse -- I'll take Brown over Crompton, LeFevour, Jarrett Brown, etc.

I really wanted LeFevour but the more I hear about him the more I like him.

Weak Elton, weak.

Which ESPN are you watching? Todd McShay called him the 6th best QB on his board, and Jaws is raving about him.

It's a joke. Calling a 7th rounder a reach is funny. :pirate:

Some of the tape on Brown reminds me of JP...just sayin...

If JP had been a 7th rounder people would have been pulling for him rather than hating him. JMO

hehe.....you typed rooster :flirt:

What do you expect. He's probably half cocked by now.

Levi Brown

QB, Troy

War Room analysis

Strengths: Is a solidly built QB with very good athleticism, which helped him to make big plays with his feet and arm. Has a compact and quick throwing motion, which enables him to consistently set-up and get rid of the ball fast. Has a shockingly strong arm. Shows he has arm strength by making 10-plus-yard throws without just a flick of the wrist when a pass rusher is bearing down on him. Does a good job of stepping up to avoid the wide rush and has learned the important lesson of throwing the ball away to avoid the sack. Can hit the 15-plus-yard skinny post route right on the money with a defender in his face. Does not force passes or try to squeeze them into tight spots and does not stare down his receiver. His ability to get rid of the ball very quickly helps him to get the ball to the receiver before the defender can react to make a play on it.

Weaknesses: Has a throwing motion that is almost so short that it looks like he cannot get zip on his throws because the ball does not explode out of his hand, but it still gets to the receiver. Are times where he is so aware of not forcing a bad pass against pressure that he will take more sacks than he needs to. Must do a much better job putting zip on deep passes because he tends to put more air than he needs to on them. Does not sense the rusher closing on him while in the pocket, and takes some hard hits, which puts him at a real risk of fumbling.

Bottom line: Our first exposure to Brown was during practice at the Texas Versus The Nation Game, and to say we were disappointed would be an understatement because he looked uncomfortable dropping back from under center, which led to bad footwork and inconsistent accuracy throughout the week. However, in the first game we evaluated versus Central Michigan, he jumped off the film with his ability to make excellent throws on all types off passes and to make key throws on important downs. Brown started his college career at Richmond and transferred to Troy University where he flourished in their wide-open spread passing attack. However, he is going to have to prove he can function playing under center. We are always hesitant to give a high grade to quarterbacks who play in a spread passing attack because for them to be successful they must learn a number of new skills. However, unlike many spread quarterbacks (Tim Tebow and Dan LeFevour) Brown has a very compact throwing motion and gets rid of the ball very quickly, which puts him ahead of both of those quarterbacks. He will need time to develop in an NFL offense, but we believe he has the talent to become a quality starting quarterback.

Jim Miller was just talking up the Brown pick, said the Bills liked Lafaver (sp), but ended up with their second choice. Big measurables, Gailey might be able to do some special things with him.

I believe Brown is an excellent pick here. He is big, strong arm, reasonable interception total.Obviously green.But Gailey is supposed to be a developer of quarterbacks and here he's got someone with the physical tools.

I would have rather had Lefevour because he can run with the football. But I think that Brown was as good as any of the day three options.

However, unlike many spread quarterbacks (Tim Tebow and Dan LeFevour) Brown has a very compact throwing motion and gets rid of the ball very quickly, which puts him ahead of both of those quarterbacks. He will need time to develop in an NFL offense, but we believe he has the talent to become a quality starting quarterback.

who the hell is he? Camp fodder?

Yup. Who was the last QB picked in the 7th round to do anything? Unitas?

I doubt he'll get a serious look in training camp with three other QBs competing for a starting position. I hope I'm wrong.