Nix has something up his sleeve...

Since he has not yet drafted a QB or OT in rounds 1-3, im sure he has a plan to somehow build this line, and find a franchise QB. There is just no way he would pick a rb, a NT and DE, without any plans to build the line or for a QB. I think we will all be pleasently surprised in the near future :thumbsup:

have you seen us stop the run??? we cant. 2 picks today will go a long way to helping that. nice!

Precisely. People forget our problems on defense wanting us to score 100 points a game. Also, listening to the draft on the radio, there is a reason there have been mostly defensive players drafted - they are better prospects.

Precisely. People forget our problems on defense wanting us to score 100 points a game. Also, listening to the draft on the radio, there is a reason there have been mostly defensive players drafted - they are better prospects.

100 points! how about a effing touchdown! The only reason people could forget the bad defense is because the offense is even worse. AND BORING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!BORING!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hear that BORING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The games SUCK TO WATCH, because NOTHING HAPPENS when the Bills have the ball. NOTHING. For years now.

I believe that they are choosing the best guys available. That's fine.

Since he has not yet drafted a QB or OT in rounds 1-3, im sure he has a plan to somehow build this line, and find a franchise QB. There is just no way he would pick a rb, a NT and DE, without any plans to build the line or for a QB. I think we will all be pleasently surprised in the near future :thumbsup:

Not sure there is a QB in the plan for this year.

I fully expect that the round four pick will be an OL, most likely a tackle. If Bruce Campbell is there I'd like to get him, but he was a one year wonder at MD and Nix is not fond of one year production players. Not sure who the pick will be, but should be a tackle. However, keep this in mind. Levitre played LT for three years in college. Hangartner's natual position is G. Don't be surprised to see the Bills take a C, perhaps Ted Larson from NCSU, who won the Jim Ritcher award to play center. That would allow them to move Hangartner to G, and move Levitre over to LT. D. Bell then becomse the LT back up, and can work on getting bigger and improving his technique. Jamon Meredith and Cornell Gree can fight for the starting job at RT, and Eric Wood starts at center. Just a thought.

Also, there are still good OL and skill players left. This was a very deep draft, and most of the players taken in the first four rounds have a higher percentage chance of becoming solid NFL starters.

100 points! how about a effing touchdown! The only reason people could forget the bad defense is because the offense is even worse. AND BORING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!BORING!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hear that BORING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The games SUCK TO WATCH, because NOTHING HAPPENS when the Bills have the ball. NOTHING. For years now.

Thank you. I can't believe how many people are THRILLED about going heavy on D, and want more, more, more of the same. That's great, as long as you're not forced to watch the games. How about an offense that can chain together multiple first downs on a fairly consistent basis? Or one that can SCORE AN OFFENSIVE TOUCHDOWN MORE THAN ONCE A GAME. That's not too much to ask. If you're going to suck, which describes the Bills for the last 10 years and also next year, can't you at least be entertaining in the process? Those crappy Bledsoe teams were at least fun to watch. Watching this team the last few years, I wanted to blow my brains out in the 2nd half of almost every game. Even some of the wins were soul-draining and pure agony to watch for most of the game.

I just don't get it. These people are fantasizing about rebuilding the 2000 Ravens. That's the fantasy? The best you can imagine? Not the 70s Steelers (HoF QB), 80s 49ers (HoF QB), 90s Bills or Cowboys (HoF QBs), or 2000s Patriots or Colts (Future HoF QBs)? No, let's aim for a team that's unwatchable on one side of the ball, and hope we pick up a Trent Dilfer type who can complete 1 long pass a game.

Oh wait, I forgot: We've got THE PLAYMAKER now. Spiller will be good for 1-2 touchdowns a game all by himself. He's so fast that our crappy OTs will play really well! And stacking the box won't work against him, because have you seen his 40 time? I take it back, our offense will be gangbusters.

Thank you. I can't believe how many people are THRILLED about going heavy on D, and want more, more, more of the same. That's great, as long as you're not forced to watch the games. How about an offense that can chain together multiple first downs on a fairly consistent basis? Or one that can SCORE AN OFFENSIVE TOUCHDOWN MORE THAN ONCE A GAME. That's not too much to ask. If you're going to suck, which describes the Bills for the last 10 years and also next year, can't you at least be entertaining in the process? Those crappy Bledsoe teams were at least fun to watch. Watching this team the last few years, I wanted to blow my brains out in the 2nd half of almost every game. Even some of the wins were soul-draining and pure agony to watch for most of the game.

I just don't get it. These people are fantasizing about rebuilding the 2000 Ravens. That's the fantasy? The best you can imagine? Not the 70s Steelers (HoF QB), 80s 49ers (HoF QB), 90s Bills or Cowboys (HoF QBs), or 2000s Patriots or Colts (Future HoF QBs)? No, let's aim for a team that's unwatchable on one side of the ball, and hope we pick up a Trent Dilfer type who can complete 1 long pass a game.

Oh wait, I forgot: We've got THE PLAYMAKER now. Spiller will be good for 1-2 touchdowns a game all by himself. He's so fast that our crappy OTs will play really well! And stacking the box won't work against him, because have you seen his 40 time? I take it back, our offense will be gangbusters.

. I can't believe how many people are THRILLED about going heavy on D

It's the old "Defense wins championships" chestnut. If people prefer a team that is more known for defense, I'm fine with that. You still need to score. This team can't, and it demoralizes THE DEFENSE (as in "let's go out there and get our heads bashed, our knees twisted, and our bones crushed, to get the ball back for the offense, knowing that there is a slim to none chance of winning, or making the playoffs, or even scoring a touchdown". Not to mention that the defense spends way to much time on the field, defending poor field positions.

A DECENT (meaning not insufferable) offense is needed for a defense to take over a game.

Here's what some are forgetting:

On offense, Chan Gailey > Skeletor+Doughboy.

The offensive plan at OBD is based partly on the conviction that the talent we have is not as bad as it looked last year, and that Chan will be able to do more with it than Dick Jauron ever could. No, it will not be a juggernaut, but it won't need to be. With an improved D, turn only a few field goals into touchdowns and our record is much better.

I believe as the season progresses we will find this to have been a sound plan.

Since he has not yet drafted a QB or OT in rounds 1-3, im sure he has a plan to somehow build this line, and find a franchise QB. There is just no way he would pick a rb, a NT and DE, without any plans to build the line or for a QB. I think we will all be pleasently surprised in the near future :beer:

Another possibility is that you simply can't fill that many holes in one draft. We are likely losing our best DE to retirement so we needed a DE. Going to a 3-4 means we had to get a NT. And Spiller was just too good to pass up. I think they will do their best to find gold in the later rounds at QB and OT but realistically, those upgrades may have to wait a year.

Another possibility is that you simply can't fill that many holes in one draft. We are likely losing our best DE to retirement so we needed a DE. Going to a 3-4 means we had to get a NT. And Spiller was just too good to pass up. I think they will do their best to find gold in the later rounds at QB and OT but realistically, those upgrades may have to wait a year.

Unfortunately you are probably dead on here. The Bills have needs all over the board so depending on which direction the best player available was, was the direction they went. Stopping the run I personally think was the bigger need in this draft. The Bills are switching to a 3-4 and have very few players to fill the front 3. The two picks so far for the D-Line are probably starters on opening day, You can't ask more than that.

I see Nix and Gailey going heavy on O in rounds 4-7. There are some quality OT's still on the board, some "name" QB's left and a receiver or two that have potential to be starting on opening day as well. It's a deep draft offensively and a bit thinner at the quality defensive spots.

Also, the same people that have been bitching for years about not building the D-Line appear to be the ones now complaining the the O-Line needs building. Rome wasn't built in a day. It's a pick your poison for Nix and he opted for filling the biggest need, the often ran-over D-Line. STFU and live with it.

I guess the thinking might be that defense requires size and toughness, whereas offeense you can create with schemes. I'm okay with that, but they'd better be able to pull it off. I've been clamoring for more depth and size along the D line for years, so I can't really complain about the draft approach.

I guess the thinking might be that defense requires size and toughness, whereas offeense you can create with schemes. I'm okay with that, but they'd better be able to pull it off. I've been clamoring for more depth and size along the D line for years, so I can't really complain about the draft approach.

Exactly Coach, the D-Line has been neglected since the '85 draft. It's about time the Bills addressed a Major need here. Not only did they go big but they went for some pretty good quality too. Troup isn't going to wow anyone with tackles or sacks but he is going to quietly make that D stronger from day one. Carrington on the other hand might be a diamond in the rough with some serious size for a DE. Both awesome picks that we have been clammoring about for years.

Since he has not yet drafted a QB or OT in rounds 1-3, im sure he has a plan to somehow build this line, and find a franchise QB. There is just no way he would pick a rb, a NT and DE, without any plans to build the line or for a QB. I think we will all be pleasently surprised in the near future :angry:

I'm not so sure about that...

I think the point made yesterday AM on WGR is 100% correct...I think that Nix and Gailey are basically looking at this this as starting from scratch...If they can fill a Need along the way great...But this is not a one off-season plan...This is going to be a gradual thing...Can't do it all in one Draft or one off-season...So I won't be too surprised to see them go in with Edwards, Fitz and Brohm at QB and Bell at LT...I know it's not what they would prefer...But this is all about baby-steps right now... :beer:

Exactly why they drafted Spiller.......

Exactly - next year is supposedly going to be a great QB draft....

Honest question: I don't follow College ball much, who are the QB's that we should all be keeping an eye on? Call me stupid, because I am, but I have no idea.

I fully expect that the round four pick will be an OL, most likely a tackle. If Bruce Campbell is there I'd like to get him, but he was a one year wonder at MD and Nix is not fond of one year production players. Not sure who the pick will be, but should be a tackle. However, keep this in mind. Levitre played LT for three years in college. Hangartner's natual position is G. Don't be surprised to see the Bills take a C, perhaps Ted Larson from NCSU, who won the Jim Ritcher award to play center. That would allow them to move Hangartner to G, and move Levitre over to LT. D. Bell then becomse the LT back up, and can work on getting bigger and improving his technique. Jamon Meredith and Cornell Gree can fight for the starting job at RT, and Eric Wood starts at center. Just a thought.

Also, there are still good OL and skill players left. This was a very deep draft, and most of the players taken in the first four rounds have a higher percentage chance of becoming solid NFL starters.

Reread Nix's press conference, he doesn't like the idea of shifting Levitre to LT as it hurt two positions. The thing with us taking an OT, I think we should be we likley will only if we deem the prospect worth the draft position and he is an upgrade to our current roster or depth. I think at this point in the draft taking a chance on Bruce Campbell isn't much of a risk and worth taking.

I think the thinking may be that as inept as our offense was that it may not have been all due to a lack of talent. Seriously? remember the No huddle? The ousting of an experienced tackle because he wasn't on board with a scheme that was doomed to failure and thrusting a rookie into the position then promptly abandoning the no huddle when it was a disaster?

That level on inept coaching leads me to believe that perhaps someone like Demetrius Bell wasn't exactly receiving sound coaching all around. Perhaps, some of the time we wasted on the no huddle will be spent on preparing the guy on the fundamentals that he actually needed help with instead of ridiculous hail mary offensive schemes.

I'm not saying the offensive line is any good. They may be awful, but I think coaching certainly helped them along down sh*t highway.

Keep in mind, that as bad as the Bills were they were still in a number of games until other teams started just running the ball non-stop.

Here's what some are forgetting:

On offense, Chan Gailey > Skeletor+Doughboy.

The offensive plan at OBD is based partly on the conviction that the talent we have is not as bad as it looked last year, and that Chan will be able to do more with it than Dick Jauron ever could. No, it will not be a juggernaut, but it won't need to be. With an improved D, turn only a few field goals into touchdowns and our record is much better.

I believe as the season progresses we will find this to have been a sound plan.

It's true.

We can't even judge the rest of the offense. because they don't have a QB that can take advantage of their talent. It's obvious. I don't care how good the protection is, if a defense only has to defend 15 yards deep, and knows that the QB is only capable of making a handful of throws ....well, you have the Bills offense.

Wow. You need to lay off of the coffee.

I don't think everyone believes he will be good for a couple/game. But his speed and versatility will open doors for others to make plays. I believe the QB position will be de-emphasized with a pound it out thunder and lightening ground attack. The Dolphins of the 70's had a run game that put a mediocre QB(Bob Greise) in the HOF.