"The BILLS Have No Talent"

If I had a dollar for every time that phrase was uttered on this board, I'd give Buffet a run.

The team FINALLY picks the most talented football player on the board - a guy who has absolutely zero question marks. Doesn't fumble. Is a dynamic playmaker regardless of scenario. Has tremendous vision. Doesn't need "Hall of Fame" level blocking. Isn't a douche bag off the field.

Pretty much the anti-Lynch.

He compares favorably with both Marshall Faulk and Chris Johnson. The first game changer in Orchard Park since Thurman's heyday.

This pick is a home run. Baluga, Claussen, or Williams were ALL reaches at 9.

If I had a dollar for every time that phrase was uttered on this board, I'd give Buffet a run.

The team FINALLY picks the most talented football player on the board - a guy who has absolutely zero question marks. Doesn't fumble. Is a dynamic playmaker regardless of scenario. Has tremendous vision. Doesn't need "Hall of Fame" level blocking. Isn't a douche bag off the field.

He compares favorably with both Marshall Faulk and Chris Johnson. The first game changer in Orchard Park since Thurman's heyday.

awesome!!! i agree. a big need for chan's offense. huge!

I completely agree Darin....great post...

Plus remember there are still 3 VERY GOOD OL's available at the beginning of Round 2 right now...(Charles Brown, Roger Saffold)...if the Bills are not able to get Clausen and who even knows if the Bills want him, getting one of these OT's would be a steal....Brown and Saffold are no different then Baluga as an example, but Spiller was clearly the class of the draft from a RB standpoint.

Although there were needs that needed to be addressed I have to admit I can't argue with them taking the best rated player on their board at that point. I also agree that the guy is solid off the field and seems to have maturity which is great. Bulaga fell to number 23 and Clausen didn't even go in the first round....

Excellent post...kudos to you. <_<

Don't disagree. Was trying to think of the last time the Bills landed a consensus "blue chip" player, and I'm at a loss. I guess Big Mike, although I remember even at that time there was a debate as to whether he could play LT.

The fact is, we got one of the 4-5 "blue chips" of this draft. I can't complain that they stuck to their board. The only way it's a bad pick is if Anthony Davis has a 15 year career as an All Pro.

I'd like to see the lines fortified, as would everyone - good thing there are 6 more rounds.

Gotta be able to exploit that talent. We'll see whether Chan and Co. can do that.

The one thing that makes this pick more palatable to me was the players taken after Spiller. Consensus tells us that Baluga, Clausen & Williams would have been reaches.

Still would have preferred a trade down rather than a quick pick. I realize that groundwork for many/most trades is probably done before a team is on the clock (if this guy is there then...), but to rush your pick rather than see what might be happen???

8 more picks to go...let's make 'em count.

Anthony Davis wasn't a reach at 9. The D could have used a player like Paul-Pierre. A little raw to be sure but this D needs playmakers and he fits that bill.

And does Spiller really have no weaknesses? I haven't seen Clemson much in the past few years but everything I've seen of the guy shows him running wide on just about every play. Can he run between the tackles is my question? If he can't he's going to struggle in the NFL.

Imo it's relatively easy to find quality running backs in the NFL - not so easy to find quality OT or DE. Spiller has to be REALLY special to make this pick worthwhile.

Well i hope your right about "doesn't need HOF O-Line", because the Bills currently have the anti-HOF O-line. So what do you say? Start Spiller at QB, because anyone else is going to be running for thier lives just like last year.

I agree that he was the best avaible and good upgrade to an already filled hole. But what about the holes we didn't fill? I mean, look the Bills laid marble over a black topped road. Unfortunaitly the rest of the road is filled with huge craters and some holes the Bills don't have sand to fill them in.

I think the most glaring reason they drafted him is he does not need every player to be blocked for him to score or gain yards in chunks. They know our OL will not be fixed in a year but he will make their jobs a lot easier. I like the pick, I really can not believe Clausen fell this far.

Will the Bills open lots of holes so he grinds out a sequence of 5 yard runs in a row? Not a chance.

Will the line protect the passer as the Bills convert 60% of 3rd downs? Nope.

Given enough touches, will a guy with Spiller's speed and ability find a way to score? Yes.

Still a lot of holes on this team but it appears the offense now has a focus. It sure wasn't going to be Edwards/Evans/Jackson.

Well i hope your right about "doesn't need HOF O-Line", because the Bills currently have the anti-HOF O-line. So what do you say? Start Spiller at QB, because anyone else is going to be running for thier lives just like last year.

That's a load and ignores that Wood and Levitre have their best years in front of them. No one knows about Green and it's quite likely that someone like Saffold ends up at LT. This is the deepest draft in years at tackle - no reason to reach at 9, a fact Nix obviously knows.

I agree that he was the best avaible and good upgrade to an already filled hole. But what about the holes we didn't fill? I mean, look the Bills laid marble over a black topped road. Unfortunaitly the rest of the road is filled with huge craters and some holes the Bills don't have sand to fill them in.

Bull. The draft didn't end with CJ Spiller. It started there.

Will the Bills open lots of holes so he grinds out a sequence of 5 yard runs in a row? Not a chance.

Really? Why not? Levitre and Wood will only be better next year. Bell and Meredith are young and talented so they could still blossom, and I fully expect them to pick a talented LT prospect at 41 like Brown, Saffold, or Campbell. We have a new offensive minded coach now which could help. And also the o-line really wasn't terrible at run blocking last year. The Bills actually ranked 9th in rushing YPA last year.

RB is a filled hole. Filled with a 30 year old, and a guy who does lots of stupid things and is 1 stupid thing from a year-long suspension. RB isn't nearly as set as you're making out here.

Besides that, he fills a huge need, a critical one-playmaker. We've lacked one outside of WR (who depends on having a competent QB, LT, and offensive coordinator to be effective). This guy can score in multiple ways, and doesn't need much more than a narrow seam to do it.

Couldn't agree more, AD.

The first time the play fake to Spiller causes a cheating DB and/or LB to snap an ankle trying to get back into position will be fun to see.

We now possess the fastest player in the AFCE who also happens to be one of the most productive in NCAA history. There is no denying that production. There is no denying that production came from every aspect of offensive play. There is no denying the big-play, homerun plays that comprised much of that production. Defenses MUST respect his speed to the corners. But let's be clear, Spiller is a football player that possesses world-class speed, not a track star trying to play RB. We haven't had this combination of speed and ability since OJ.

Some folks may remember what it was like having OJ. Every time, EVERY time, he got a hand-off you literally had a feeling in your stomach that he could take it the distance. As good as Cribbs was, as good as TT was, I never got that feeling. There have only been two other backs since OJ that produced that feeling in me, Dickerson and Sanders. I think this kid has that kind of potential based on his combination of speed and football skills.

Speed kills. But mad football skills maim, injure, and weaken first.

GO BILLS!!!

I Agree 100%! well said

Imo it's relatively easy to find quality running backs in the NFL - not so easy to find quality OT or DE. Spiller has to be REALLY special to make this pick worthwhile.

If it's not 'easy' to find these players why risk a high draft pick on one when you can't be sure? Since it's 'easy' to find running backs, why not take the definite talent?

It's statistics. Take the best player who will most likely be a starter for you at any position. Upgrade your talent instead of taking a need.

Replacing a 'bad' player with a 'better' player doesn't mean anything. Replacing a 'good' player with a better player makes a larger impact.

When I fist read the thread title, i was like, oh no, here we go again. I was even thinking maybe I shouldn't open it so as not to get my blood boiling so early in the morning.(well, not exactly early seeing how I am on vacation but u get the drift)

I personally love this pick. He will be a difference maker. Many holes to fill still for the ones freaking out, but the draft has just begun. calm down. I don't care what you say, this IS NOT the same front office.

Welcome abourd C.J.! and you got to love his tweet yesterday!

It's only easy to find good RBs if your line is good. (See Denver.)

Bulaga had questions about ability...Davis has questions about dedication. Spiller is just plain good.

Upcoming play by play for most of the season...

Hand off to Spiller for three yards

Hand off to Spiller for two yards

Short pass to whoever for three yards

Punt

With no O line this pick is wasted. With no O line Joe Montana in his prime couldn't make this team work.

It's a really dumb pick unless they do something about the O line. The draft alone wont do it. We're still in plenty of trouble. This pick does nothing for us.

Completely Agree, but I must admit I didn't expect this response from Bills fans. To me the draft is ALWAYS about taking the BEST player in the top 1-2 rounds. When you draft for need, you end up with GM's and Coaches getting fired. This was GREAT drafting by Buffalo... and this is coming from someone (ME) who could not be more critical of things the Bills have done over the past 5-8 years. I think Brandon is a Moron. I wasn't happy with Nix and Gailey. But this pick of CJ Spiller makes me think that maybe something HAS changed at One Bills Drive.

When the regular season ended I didn't think Spiller was on the radar scope.

I noticed him at the combine because he was one of the quickest players there and drawing comparisons to Chris Johnson.

Once they brought him in for a visit is when I really started checking him out.

I have only checked out highlight films which always make the subject look great.

I can't say I have seen him play but I really like the pick.

I really like the fact that we are going for talent because we don't have much on each side of the ball.

I expect to see them build up the lines and get a QB before the weekend is out.

Upcoming play by play for most of the season...

Hand off to Spiller for three yards

Hand off to Spiller for two yards

Short pass to whoever for three yards

Punt

With no O line this pick is wasted. With no O line Joe Montana in his prime couldn't make this team work.

It's a really dumb pick unless they do something about the O line. The draft alone wont do it. We're still in plenty of trouble. This pick does nothing for us.

Your post does something for me at least. I was constipated up until now. I'll be back in 20.

Darin, would you mind explaining exactly what you mean by this?

Bill, I'm not Darin, but I can tell you what Faulk himself (as well as Barry Sanders) said about Spiller.

Not only is a dynamic in his running, unlike say Marshawn (or Willis in previous years) he is patient in the blocking of the run game. It's not the dancing, pit pat like 23 and 21 did, but it's because he understands every member of the line's blocking assignment and is waiting for the guy to get out there before he makes his next move.

Also, take a look at this video of him with Gruden, explaining how he fits into the Clemson offense on the play they review:

Gruden with Spiller

Totally agree, but it is now time to start building your offensive line again. If we do not, then I am not sure what our plan is.

If the Bills manage to grab a LT and interior dline help with remaining picks (a big hurdle) then this may go down as one of the best picks ever. If Spiller turns into the highlight reel he has been in college 3 years from now people will be saying Marshawn who? Don't forget that by NFL standards Fred Jackson is not a young man.

This pick is growing on me.

+ 1 Billion. Fans just don't get we added a pure playmaker that FINALLY opposing defenses MUST respect.

'but but but the lines'. the Lines ASS! I am sick of hearing about the OL. If not for retards at QB this line would have much better passing stats. This line put up a 1000 yard rusher out of a guy that doesn't have 1/10th the talent Spiller has. This line is NOT as bad as many make it out to be.

Does it need improvement, sure, but it isn't the **** line many think it is. Improve the QB and see how fast this line esp with Spiller back there, gets better.

It's the #9 overall. This holds true regardless of their selection.

Not so. You'd love to draft a top 1-3 guy at his position when selecting in the top 10 but it doesn't have to happen for the draft pick to significantly help your team. If you get a guy who is top 10-15 at his position at certain positions - QB, OT, DE, DT - that's good enough to help your team improve significantly. Those are positions where if you are weak you will be totally exposed and a guy who's very good - but not great, is almost a must.

When you start looking at positions like RB & S - spots that have traditionally been easy to pick up quality guys in later rounds then it devalues drafting those positions early in round 1 UNLESS the guy is an all time talent. Someone who is going to be a total game changer - a perennial pro bowler. Spiller has to be that type of player for this pick to be justified.

I said the same thing when Dante Whitner was drafted and got blasted by the board then. There are certain positions I just don't favor drafting at the top of the draft unless your team has just about all the other pieces in place already. If a team has a bunch of holes I just don't think you can justify taking a RB in the top 10.

It's just my opinion - I hope to hell Spiller ends up being the best back in the league and the pick works out but I have my doubts. If he ends up being good but not great it's a wasted pick.

The Bills are all too familiar with reaching in the first round. This is a can't miss pick, the guy is an absolute stud. The Bills weren't going to make a run at the SB next year no matter who they picked, but this is a guy you can really build your team around. He's the type of playmaker the Bills have not had in a very long time.

Anthony Davis wasn't a reach at 9. The D could have used a player like Paul-Pierre. A little raw to be sure but this D needs playmakers and he fits that bill.

And does Spiller really have no weaknesses? I haven't seen Clemson much in the past few years but everything I've seen of the guy shows him running wide on just about every play. Can he run between the tackles is my question? If he can't he's going to struggle in the NFL.

Look at the film. He finds holes and hits them fast. Unlike Marshawn's dancing last year.