While Nix & Co. enjoy Easter weekend, Skins steal McNabb

A similar deal would have him in the AFC east. Then grab the LT released by the cowboys. What is so difficult?

Other teams just move faster.

I agree with Clark Judge's article. http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/1315832...overlist_footer

If the Eagles were willing to trade him within the division, they must believe pretty strongly that he isn't the QB he has been in the past. Reminds me of when Bellicheat & Co. were happy to let Bledsoe come to Buffalo. He was serviceable at that point in his career, just enough to give Bills fans false hope that the promised land was near. I initially like the idea of McNabb to Buffalo for a 3rd or 4th rounder, but definitely not a 2 and a 3 or 4 like Washington gave them.

Now the questions are: Does Clausen fall to No 9? Do the Bills make a play for Jason Campbell? I'm in the "Just Say No to Clausen" camp, so I'm a little bummed because there is now a much greater chance he will be there when Buffalo picks at No. 9. I'd still rather see them go after an LT (but the McNabb deal means Washington will take a LT instead of a QB).

Keeps things interesting!

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Listen, this has already been beaten to death, but a few recycled points...

-Judging from several articles, links etc. McNabb had no interest in being here... Even after an extension offer by Nix.

-Even if, by some miracle, he did come here, I don't care if we drafted 4 offensive linemen in this draft, he would have protection problems... And McNabb doesn't have a real stellar consecutive starts record... He'd get killed here in about half a season. Especially against that Jets/Rex Ryan blitz...

-Why would a team in full rebuild mode want a 33-year-old injury-prone QB?

-Do the rebuilding Bills really have draft picks to spare over the next couple of seasons for an over-the-hill, injury-prone QB?

I could go on, but really, would this have been the correct choice for us..? I doubt it...

Honestly, Shefter is really blowing that trade into something that's bigger than it really is. I personally wouldn't call the McNabb trade a blockbuster trade, he's 35, on the downside and all for a 2nd and 3rd. That is big but not a Blockbuster.

McNabb is not 35, he just turned 33 a few months ago and is still at the top of his game going to a divisional rival with one of the best offensive coaching staffs in football...this is a pretty big deal, especially for Redskin fans and Eagles Fans.

Washington now becomes one of the favorites in the NFC instantly...The skins are loaded at RB, have a lot of talent at TE and WR, a good OL and a pretty good D...McNabb makes them very strong Super Bowl contenders much like Favre did for the Vikes last year except McNabb will be playing at high level for at least 3 to 5 more years. Oh, and did I forget to mention the Skins STILL have the 4th pick in the draft where they can add another Elite prospect to their roster and no longer have to look at a developmental player like say Claussen.

This is WAY more significant than you give credit for and McNabb is a WAY better QB than I think you believe he is...

Listen, this has already been beaten to death, but a few recycled points...

-Judging from several articles, links etc. McNabb had no interest in being here... Even after an extension offer by Nix.

-Even if, by some miracle, he did come here, I don't care if we drafted 4 offensive linemen in this draft, he would have protection problems... And McNabb doesn't have a real stellar consecutive starts record... He'd get killed here in about half a season. Especially against that Jets/Rex Ryan blitz...

-Why would a team in full rebuild mode want a 33-year-old injury-prone QB?

-Do the rebuilding Bills really have draft picks to spare over the next couple of seasons for an over-the-hill, injury-prone QB?

I could go on, but really, would this have been the correct choice for us..? I doubt it...

The problems are that the Skins don't have a good OL and need a LT, so he'll be just as under-fire as he would have in Buffalo. And despite Shanahan's and Allen's beliefs, the Skins aren't ready to contend yet, and next year could be a lockout season.

<_<:wallbash: Reid says McNabb is "happy," would have played anywhere

That's crap. McNabb chose Washington over the Bills and Raiders. Get over it. Buddy made a good offer and the guy didn' twant to come here. So let's move on and quit blaming the FO for every little set back in your life.

The problems are that the Skins don't have a good OL and need a LT, so he'll be just as under-fire as he would have in Buffalo. And despite Shanahan's and Allen's beliefs, the Skins aren't ready to contend yet, and next year could be a lockout season.

I will agree that the Skins have some offensive line concerns and 2011 could be a lockout season.. However, McNabb is not just as under fire/pressure in Washington as he would be here I don't believe... Shanahan runs the ball a lot more than Reid, but runs a similar west coast offense, which McNabb is accustomed to. The Skins have 3 RBs now in Larry Johnson, Willie Parker and Clinton Portis, WRs Santana Moss and Devin Thomas, TE Chris Cooley... Not to mention they still have the 4th pick in the draft which they could use on the top OT or trade down and pick up a couple of linemen for Shanahan's zone-blocking scheme... Now, perhaps all of that still doesn't translate into mass protection this year for McNabb, especially against tenacious D's like Dallas, NY and Philly... But, he'll have a FAR better chance around Washington's offensive talent and WC coach then he would in Buffalo in 2010...

I've never understood how anyone can evaluate a trade or a draft pick until you see how it plays out which usually takes YEARS. Maybe it was a genius move by the Skins, maybe McNabb beats the odds and stays healthy and gives them what they need. Or they may have just set the entire team back 3 years. Someone explain to me how they can know either way in the spring of 2010.

Its like calling someone an idiot for picking tails over heads before they flip the coin.

A similar deal would have him in the AFC east. Then grab the LT released by the cowboys. What is so difficult?

Apparently you don't pay attention to ESPN ,Sal Pal said the Bills had the best deal on the table & Mcnabb said NO !! So that gives me a little faith that the new staff is willing to do what it takes to get the job done . But until the Bills prove thet are worthy it looks like free agency and the draft are whats going to turn this thing around .

He has a higher career QB rating than Jim Kelly and Dan Marino, and is tied with Brett Farve. He had less weapons/OL than Kelly in his career. Let's stop pretending like he's an average QB. He is significantly better than any QB on our roster and anyone we can get in the draft.

Exactly why no one pays attention to the qb rating.......if we want to use "stats" lets go get Dave Krieg

McNabb is not 35, he just turned 33 a few months ago and is still at the top of his game going to a divisional rival with one of the best offensive coaching staffs in football...this is a pretty big deal, especially for Redskin fans and Eagles Fans.

Washington now becomes one of the favorites in the NFC instantly...The skins are loaded at RB, have a lot of talent at TE and WR, a good OL and a pretty good D...McNabb makes them very strong Super Bowl contenders much like Favre did for the Vikes last year except McNabb will be playing at high level for at least 3 to 5 more years. Oh, and did I forget to mention the Skins STILL have the 4th pick in the draft where they can add another Elite prospect to their roster and no longer have to look at a developmental player like say Claussen.

This is WAY more significant than you give credit for and McNabb is a WAY better QB than I think you believe he is...

I agree this is huge, but I don't want to say (yet) that it makes the Skins an instant Superbowl contender. I want to see how well they play together over the first 5-6 games. If the offense clicks right away and the defense improves, then I'll be on that bandwagon...but not until then.

A couple of other thoughts on this...

- I wanted McNabb here, but it just looked like it wasn't meant to be. I'm happy for him that he got out of Philly - they were one of my favorite non-Bills teams - especially with McNabb - but since he got a raw deal from the fans, I'd love to see him beat Philly twice this year to shove it back at them.

- This tells me Philly is restructuring their team. Despite how I think he can still play, McNabb is on the downside, so it was probably time to get rid of him for the team's sake. Westbrook isn't getting any younger, either, so it seems like they're going to go with the young guys now - McCoy, Desean Jackson, Maclin, and Kolb.

I agree this is huge, but I don't want to say (yet) that it makes the Skins an instant Superbowl contender. I want to see how well they play together over the first 5-6 games. If the offense clicks right away and the defense improves, then I'll be on that bandwagon...but not until then.

A couple of other thoughts on this...

- I wanted McNabb here, but it just looked like it wasn't meant to be. I'm happy for him that he got out of Philly - they were one of my favorite non-Bills teams - especially with McNabb - but since he got a raw deal from the fans, I'd love to see him beat Philly twice this year to shove it back at them.

- This tells me Philly is restructuring their team. Despite how I think he can still play, McNabb is on the downside, so it was probably time to get rid of him for the team's sake. Westbrook isn't getting any younger, either, so it seems like they're going to go with the young guys now - McCoy, Desean Jackson, Maclin, and Kolb.

I'm wondering how much longer Reid is going to be there.

Bills could of made this happen if they were a little more aggressive on this deal. It would of been a great move and they just plain "missed" the chance by not adding more to the trade to get this done faster. The could of added extra players with the picks to make this a great deal for the Eagles.

Why the hell would the Bills make a trade if he wouldn't sign an extension? Seriously, what is your reasoning? I'd love to hear it. My guess is there is no logic behind your bizarre opinion.

It would have been great if McNabb came here and signed an extension for a few years. Without an extension, the two picks required for the trade would have been a complete waste. Please tell me how two picks for a 1 year QB would be a good thing.

Bills could of made this happen if they were a little more aggressive on this deal. It would of been a great move and they just plain "missed" the chance by not adding more to the trade to get this done faster. The could of added extra players with the picks to make this a great deal for the Eagles.

I believe the purpose of any trade is to make a great deal for the BILLS, not the Eagles.

Does anyone know who New England picked up for the draft picks they got for Bledsoe?

Last year the Bills picked up Eric Wood and Jarius Byrd in the 2nd. Would you be willing to have missed out on either of those even for a gifted QB like McNabb for only 1 year?? I suspect we may get a bit over one year of solid play out of both Wood and Byrd.

I don't think the Bills should mortgage their future for the short term gain. Next year in a draft that is supposed to be deep in quarterbacks, we would need to spend a pick on a quarterback, but would have given away 2nd and 3rd round picks for McNabb. Bad math.

Nonsense. Gailey and Nix are getting lots of sleep and will win with the guys they have. Its people like Shanahan, Parcells, Bilichek and those other no nothings that are out there making deals...we're above all that.

I was a little upset for about 12 seconds! Then I said to myself..."Hey, the Redskins pick 4th and they wanted a QB...HMM

we may have a .01 chance of getting Bradford and we have a 50/50% chance of getting Clausen now!", Then I rationalized that McNabb is a good QB...but he may hit that wall at anytime and we'd be lucky to get a two years out of him..especially if their is a lockout in 2011. The non-move may be the best thing to happen to us...Now, Nix go get us the next Kelly in the draft and stay away from Jason Campbell now that he is almost disposable to the Redskins!

I was a little upset for about 12 seconds! Then I said to myself..."Hey, the Redskins pick 4th and they wanted a QB...HMM

we may have a .01 chance of getting Bradford and we have a 50/50% chance of getting Clausen now!", Then I rationalized that McNabb is a good QB...but he may hit that wall at anytime and we'd be lucky to get a two years out of him..especially if their is a lockout in 2011. The non-move may be the best thing to happen to us...Now, Nix go get us the next Kelly in the draft and stay away from Jason Campbell now that he is almost disposable to the Redskins!

Nix and Co will also be kicking themselves as they watch him carry the skins to the post season.

This franchise still has no balls. The upcoming season is going to be another waste.

The biggest news (so far) out of two bills drive this offseason: They took the TV's out of the weight room! YAWN....

mcnabb had a defacto "no trade" clause......all he had to do to mess up a philly trade is let it leak out that he will NOT sign an extension AND that he would not be thrilled about going to that team......a team like buffalo would never want him for just one year.....it's being reported that buffalo had the best deal on the table AND was prepared to extend his contract.

kudos to the bills, shows this regime is actively trying to improve the team. personaly, i think mcnabb is over rated, he will struggle in washington.......giving up the 2nd rounder (#37 overall) and a conditional 3rd rounder is STEEP, plus the $15/yr salary ???

i would rather take a QB like McCoy or Tebow with that #37 pick AND save a ton of money (like $14 mil / year).

I think the Philly fans are in for a rude awakening like the Bills fans were after so many were begging for Jimbo to be jettisoned. We were so spoiled by Superbowls and deep playoff runs, that we forgot why we got there in the first place.

Poor comparison IMO. Kelly was 37 and had played 14 years of pro ball. He was done. The Bills failure was not finding a replacement (ever).

If Kolb turns out to the AVP, then Eagles fans might regret the move, but I doubt it. McNabb is well past his prime and has as many awful games as great ones at this stage of his career.

The Eagles got quality draft picks and shed a big salary. I think it's a very smart move.

Nix and Co will also be kicking themselves as they watch him carry the skins to the post season.

This franchise still has no balls. The upcoming season is going to be another waste.

The biggest news (so far) out of two bills drive this offseason: They took the TV's out of the weight room! YAWN....

reading isn't a strength of yours, is it? It's been explained a few dozen times so far that the Bills tried to get him but he had no interest in coming here

LMAO at posts all over this board like these...do you have any comprehension of what happened or are you just stomping your feet over this?

I wanted McNabb, badly actually, but the FO did this right.

1. McNabb has every reason in the world to prefer Was to us right now. They have a solid D, talent at WR, TE, RB, and two of the most respected offensive coaches in the NFL...not to mention the #4 pick in the draft still, a owner who will spend to get him weapons, and most importantly he gets to play the Eagles twice a year at least.

2. Reid loves McNabb and fought to keep him and insisted along with the Eagles to try and make a deal that both works for them and McNabb becuase of that.

3. The Skins pick is 5 spaces higher than ours and they traded a 3rd with it too. So we would have at least had to give them two 2nds, or swap first and still give up our 2nd to get him, whcih still may not have been enough to sway them to trade him to us instead of a place he preferred to go.

So lets recap, the FO made a very good offer that doesnt require us to give up the farm, but the Skins offer was better and it was also a preferred destination for McNabb. The Skins wanted a deal that both was good for them and for McNabb, and that was the Skins and thats the bottom line.

Our FO did this right and has done a lot of good things this offseason. Not to mention, it also increases the likely hood Claussen is there at #9, so if the staff likes Claussen this trade makes it more likely we will have a shot at him in the draft (although I personally am not that high on the kid).

Exactly why no one pays attention to the qb rating.......if we want to use "stats" lets go get Dave Krieg

Okay... then how do you compare players? Stats are the only medium to do so on a quantatative basis. Maybe you would prefer wins? Here's his record: 92-49-1 record (.651 winning percentage).

Okay... then how do you compare players? Stats are the only medium to do so on a quantatative basis. Maybe you would prefer wins? Here's his record: 92-49-1 record (.651 winning percentage).

comparing wins and losses only works in tennis...the only way to really compare players is in how they actually play...stats are the 2nd best way....but stats are pretty subjective as well and depend on players around them