Byrd overrated

Whatever Donte

Amazing.

I would have to agree that most of his INT's were gifts but at the same time, there's something to be said for ball-hawking instincts. He already has what? Three times more picks than Whitner in his careeer and he didn't start until a quarter of the way into the season, right?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

More than half of Byrds int's were due to the qb making a bad play, not byrd making a good play. All he has shown is that he can catch the ball. He is slow and takes terrible angles to the ball. Still needs alot of work and probably wont develop into a superstar like people think.

same thing must have happened in college...maybe the dude should play the lottery....repeatedly. :pirate:

More than half of Byrds int's were due to the qb making a bad play, not byrd making a good play. All he has shown is that he can catch the ball. He is slow and takes terrible angles to the ball. Still needs alot of work and probably wont develop into a superstar like people think.

this is how you crack your cherry with your first post ??.......most of byrds int's were because he was in the proper position to take advantage of the opponents mistakes.....that takes skill and brains......the only area that i agree with you on, is your comment on his "angles to the ball", which i assume you mean on running plays only, which i have also noticed a lil (another training camp should improve that). his angles to the ball on passing plays is brilliant. Byrd is one of our few bright spots....if you want or need to pick on him, you must really hate this team......i think it is much more likely that he will continue to be near or lead the league in interceptions..... don't forget, he didn't even play the entire season.

All Ints are due to a QB making a bad play. The point is he has instincts and he doesn't drop the ball. All DBs have these opportunities most of the time they drop the ball or don't make a play on it. That is what seperates the greats from the rest.

absolutly moronic post!

Actually, the entire secondary is overrated. Remember the opening game vs the Pats, Moss and Welker had like 25 catches between them? Yeah, great lockdown coverage. We don't have a single DB that WR's are losing sleep over facing. Don't overreact though and try and say I'm advocating taking a CB in the draft, cause I'm not. Just saying our secondary isn't that great, middle of the pack is about right.

You base your opinion on the first game of the season brilliant. We had the 2nd ranked pass D in the league Brady had 11 completions in the second meeting.

He is not a corner he's a safety, some guys are just ball hawks (see Ed Reed). Some guys are not we have one of those ball hawkers. Now is he a sound tackler - no, great cover guy - no but he knows how to be in the right spot at the right time. Other guys don't or when they do get it thrown to them they drop it.

another troll making a worthless post - actually your posting ability is overrated

readers beware - an obvious dull-fish fan, jest fan or patsie fan displaying his room temperature iq

He definitely has room for improvement. He doesn't need to be a superstar. He just needs to do his job and get better. And newsflash for you: he still has to be in position to make a play. Turnovers are all based on mistakes by the offense. RB's are not supposed to fumble. Receivers are supposed to run precise routes and make the catch. QB's are supposed to be accurate. When they are not the defense makes a play. When a defender is in position to make a play and makes it that's a GOOD play. No matter how it happens.

I hate you. Go back to your Clam Chowder, you Tom Brady loving fatty.

Looks like someone read that blog post by that non footbal schmuck in NYC... :pirate:

Yeah, it's true that most interceptions are on balls that were thrown perfectly by the QB on routes run perfectly by the WR, on plays when the OL pass protected perfectly.

Byrd is the only guy in the league whose INTs came on mistakes by the QBs.

Like the INT in the Super Bowl. A perfect play, perfect coordination between Manning and the reciever.

It's Garbo's first post.

We shouldn't feed the trolls. It's nice to know what he is.

You base your opinion on the first game of the season brilliant. We had the 2nd ranked pass D in the league Brady had 11 completions in the second meeting.

BUF was #30 overall against the rush:

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tab...;seasonType=REG

Given that, consider that the opposition didn't pass much against them...why bother? So you look like you have a killer pass rush or have an All-World backfield...

The CIN press releases used to yo-yo...one season, in the run-up hype to sell tix, they would say that they were way up there in pass defense (they got run over). Next season, they touted the tough run D (they got torched by passers and receivers).

No offence, but you're an idiot. You clearly didn't watch him play. Aren't all INTs the result of a bad QB play? Save for one's where a receiver screws up. Geez. He's a rookie who missed a lot of the off-season workouts and practices and he played hurt a lot, yet still produced big time. He was a corner who switched to safety. Not the easiest transition for a rookie. He made plays all over the field and showed good tackling ability. And he's only going to get better. He had a great year and is a star player already.

"no offense"

"but your an idiot"

LOL..... :pirate:

"no offense"

"but your an idiot"

LOL..... :pirate:

That would be you're vs. your. Otherwise garbo is in possession of an idiot, rather than being one. ;)

Sorry.. pet peeve of mine when someone calls someone else an idiot but doesn't know/use the correct words to do so.

Carry on!

BUF was #30 overall against the rush:

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tab...;seasonType=REG

Given that, consider that the opposition didn't pass much against them...why bother? So you look like you have a killer pass rush or have an All-World backfield...

The CIN press releases used to yo-yo...one season, in the run-up hype to sell tix, they would say that they were way up there in pass defense (they got run over). Next season, they touted the tough run D (they got torched by passers and receivers).

Actually they did. Either way you want to spin it it will look good because we almost led the league in Ints. Do your homework don't just assume.

Wow a whole 5 more pass attempts per game difference between them and the most passed against tem in the NFL.

The Titans had 37 passes against them per game and were ranked 31st in pass defence we had 32 per and were ranked 2nd. The Jets were 31 per game and #1. On second thought don't do your homework because you are not capable of analyzing stats completely just don't type.

Actually they did. Either way you want to spin it it will look good because we almost led the league in Ints. Do your homework don't just assume.

I didn't assume anything. I linked the results of the '09 season per the NFL's stat site.

What other homework do you suggest I do? :pirate:

I don't like the subject title...

...I AM NOT OVERRATED! (Jairus maybe, but I don't think so...this Byrd is under appreciated :pirate: )

I didn't assume anything. I linked the results of the '09 season per the NFL's stat site.

What other homework do you suggest I do? :pirate:

You make it sound like they had 20 less pass attempts. You could have a few attemps and have a good passer rating the ratings of their QBs were worse than ours and that is bad.

Yeah He barely accomplished anything in college:

2008: All-Pac 10 Conference first-team selection…

The three-year starter

Defensive MVP award at the Holiday Bowl

Fourth on the team with 83 total tackles and second with 60 solo hits,

1.5 stops for minus 3 yards…Caused and recovered a fumble…

five interceptions, good for 52 yards in returns

19 pass break-ups and ranked second in the league and third in the nation with a total of 26 passes defended (1.46 pg)…

Finished third in the conference with a 12.31-yard average (20th nationally) on 26 punt returns for 320 yards and a touchdown…

Benefited from tremendous strength as he joined a pair of current teammates in equaling the program's all-time power clean lift by a defensive back (330 lbs.) during the 2008 winter testing...

Byrd started each of his final 37 contests during a 39-game career at left cornerback, recording 203 tackles (143 solos)

with six stops for losses of 17 yards, four forced fumbles and two fumble recoveries…Deflected 53 passes, The Pacific-10 Conference's honorable mention all-league standout and leader in interceptions was the Ducks' fifth-leading tackler...

2006: 13 GP; 11 GS; 40 Sol-56 TT, 0.5 TFL, 5 INT, 7 PBU, 1 FF; Earned Pac-10 Conference Co-Freshman Player-of-the- Year honors as well as second-team Freshman All-America

DJ was a lousey HC, but he knows DB's. Byrd is the real deal and he is going to get even better.

Well, the byrd probably IS overrated...not saying he's bad, but the sheer number of balls thrown right at him or tipped to him probably make him overrated.

In other words, don't be shocked next season when he doesn't get 9 INTs again.

That's probably right, but unlike most of his teamates he actually made plays. He did the same in college. How is the rest of his game?- not sure, but it is more than luck that he often winds up with the ball in his hands.

You make it sound like they had 20 less pass attempts. You could have a few attemps and have a good passer rating the ratings of their QBs were worse than ours and that is bad.

What I'm saying is don't anoint him yet. Or the BUF pass defense. There's plenty of history of a rookie having a puffed-up season, and when the opposition gets the book on him, he's a sophomore fart. And so far, nobody has chimed in regarding his performance as a run stopper during his rookie year, unless I missed it.

My question...did he have a lucky rookie season, was in the right place at the right time when the ball was up there re his fat # of picks?

I already said I didn't see him play.

Well, the byrd probably IS overrated...not saying he's bad, but the sheer number of balls thrown right at him or tipped to him probably make him overrated.

In other words, don't be shocked next season when he doesn't get 9 INTs again.

Best post I have read. Byrd is not as good as everyone thinks, but he is very good. A few of those ints were gift wrapped and handed to him on a silver platter. Others - like his one vrs the Browns - was a touch down if it was an accurate throw. Others were great plays - like him out leaping B. Edwards.

I did hear a quote from Dickie when he was being interviewed as a new coach with the Eagles (they asked about Byrd and Juaron working with him bc Philly needs safety help) Dickie said Byrd was one of the smartest players - rookie or 20 year vet - he has ever coached. He also said Byrd was at 80-85% this year bc of injury.

Now I dont think we say Byrd at his best, but I also dont expect another 9 pick year anytime soon.

Even though some of byrd's inteceptions were a little easy and it was because of bad QB play, he is still VERY talented and has a nose for the football. Even without the interceptions, he was one of (if not THE) league leader in passes defected. No one is that lucky. You have to have a lot of talent for that.

Okay, it's your first post and we'll cut you a break. But your next dumbass post is fair game.

Well there is no doubt that Byrd was gifted 2-3 INT's this season the fact that he always seems to be in the right place at the right time speaks to his play on the field. The guys issues will be fixed with more playing time at FS. People forget that he was a CB in college so with a full season at FS the kid is going to be a beast either next season or the year after.

Byrd is still learning how to play FS at an NFL level. I also think that we will see more FS in the NFL be either converted corners from either College or the NFL. Receivers are getting faster so Free Safeties will be getting faster and the old add-edge of FS being too slow to play corner is going to be gone.