Question about tipping at restaurants.....

The Poojer

actually 2...

when you place a pick up order at a deli or chinese restaurant, for example, what is the tipping ettiquette

when you are out at a bar and they have discounted drinks as part of their special, how do you tip? last night i was at a place that had $2 drafts, with food my bill came to a whalloping $16...now ordinarily it would have been roughly $24...but in the moment people probably dont figure out what the check should have been and instead base the tip on that $16...i know its probably not much to you and I but there is almost a $2 discrepency, based on 20% tipping....fwiw, i did go more than 20% last night, but it was something that got me thinking.....

what are everyone's thoughts on these 2 issues

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pickup - $0. The tip isn't for preparing the food, it's for serving the food. Conversely, I ususally tip a delivery guy at least $5.

Bar -- I don't use the % method; I go more off the # of drinks in the round; i.e., 2 beers = $1, regardless if it's $.50 draft night or $6 a pop at the trendy place with chicks. Bigger order or mixed drinks means bigger tip. Also, if it's crowded and you want to ensure attention later, a bigger tip at the start of the night often makes sense.

yeah at a bar, i usually try to go with a buck a beer, thanks for the info on the pickup...that always confuses me

Pickup - $0. The tip isn't for preparing the food, it's for serving the food. Conversely, I ususally tip a delivery guy at least $5.

Bar -- I don't use the % method; I go more off the # of drinks in the round; i.e., 2 beers = $1, regardless if it's $.50 draft night or $6 a pop at the trendy place with chicks. Bigger order or mixed drinks means bigger tip. Also, if it's crowded and you want to ensure attention later, a bigger tip at the start of the night often makes sense.

Delivery guy will usually get 3$ from me. Tipping at pickup = 0. If it's a trendy place I'll give between 2-3$ a round.

actually 2...

when you place a pick up order at a deli or chinese restaurant, for example, what is the tipping ettiquette

when you are out at a bar and they have discounted drinks as part of their special, how do you tip? last night i was at a place that had $2 drafts, with food my bill came to a whalloping $16...now ordinarily it would have been roughly $24...but in the moment people probably dont figure out what the check should have been and instead base the tip on that $16...i know its probably not much to you and I but there is almost a $2 discrepency, based on 20% tipping....fwiw, i did go more than 20% last night, but it was something that got me thinking.....

I always base the tip on what the bill would have been at full price(including specials, using coupons etc), but I do figure tip out before tax. Some people are real cheap and say wine does not factor into the equation, but I say BS to that.

In terms of takeout, I usually leave a few bucks if I think the person at the checkout had some prep work to do. So I do not tip in a pizza place, but might iat the greek place where that person is preparing the salads, getting the bread etc.

Drinks vary, but I am still usually a 20% guy, also on what full price would have been.

+1 on all accounts

I almost always leave the counter person a buck or two on a pickup. More if it is an extravagant order or I have asked for special services (on the side, extra hot sauce, make sure they are crispy, etc.)

At a bar, if you're just drinking then I tend to tip on my own personal inexact formula that considers # of drinks, time spent at the bar, service and conversation with the barkeep, etc.

If I'm eating, too, I might use the % calculation (especially if the entire bill comes on one check). If that's the case, you don't have to consider the regular price of the drinks (although that's a good touch if you actually know the prices), but keep in mind the bill is low and be generous with the %.

In general, I figure out what a good tip should be (20-25%) and then add another buck or two (or more depending on the circumstance). It makes a difference if you are a return customer, trust me.

I always base the tip on what the bill would have been at full price(including specials, using coupons etc), but I do figure tip out before tax. Some people are real cheap and say wine does not factor into the equation, but I say BS to that.

In terms of takeout, I usually leave a few bucks if I think the person at the checkout had some prep work to do. So I do not tip in a pizza place, but might iat the greek place where that person is preparing the salads, getting the bread etc.

Drinks vary, but I am still usually a 20% guy, also on what full price would have been.

I worked in the bar/resturant industry for about a decade and this is not necessarily true. It really depends on the wine. A couple of glasses or a standard-type bottle (under $100), you expect the tip to reflect the whole bill. If the customer is ordering $300-$400+ bottle of wine, I would not expect my tip to reflect the wine.

I worked in the bar/resturant industry for about a decade and this is not necessarily true. It really depends on the wine. A couple of glasses or a standard-type bottle (under $100), you expect the tip to reflect the whole bill. If the customer is ordering $300-$400+ bottle of wine, I would not expect my tip to reflect the wine.

Agreed. But if you provided the wine service, you wouldn't expect to receive NO tip on the wine, right? But obviously one isn't necessarily expected to tip 20% of a $300 bottle. An extra $10 or $20 on top of the regular tip should do.

Another question--do you guys tip hairdresses/barbers? If so, why? They're providing a service for which you're already paying. (My wife and I argue about this from time to time).

Yes, but I hate to. 1) For the reason you mentioned and 2) because I'm bald. They don't even bother with the electric clippers. Just grab the scissors and take a little of the sides..

Tip hell, I should get a discount! :wallbash:

Another question--do you guys tip hairdresses/barbers? If so, why? They're providing a service for which you're already paying. (My wife and I argue about this from time to time).

I am a "computer guy" and I get tips all the time from customers as well as fruit baskets, gift certs etc at Christmas. Never really understood that, becuase the are already paying for the service, but I'm not complaining. :wallbash:

All this crap, I'm happy I can count on one hand the number of times I've gone out to eat in the last 5 years.

I make it at home. I know what's in it. I know who made it. Hella cheaper (or, better ingredients). I know the meat is cooked safely (have had a couple incidents among the times when we did eat out, and it was not at low-brow places). And I know where to put blame if it doesn't taste good --- it's the garden troll's fault!

same argument goes for bartenders then, right? I read somewhere that gratuity is a very large part of the income for a barber or stylist. I tip mine $5.00.

YES. I dated a hairdresser for a long time, and nothing would piss her off more than cheap dudes stiffing her on a tip after a cut. Somewhere between $3-5 is fine. If not for yourself, do it for the boyfriends/husbands of those hairdressers who will have to deal with the never-ending tip bitching when they get home after a shift of bad tips.

actually 2...

I usually don't tip at a takeout or deli unless it's an unusually large order. I worked at a pizza place for over three years, mostly working the counter for the take-out and I did not receive a tip at least 95% of the time. But when I did receive a tip and it was a returning customer, I would definitely take care of them the next time around. I did used to work the Super Bowl, which was a day in which I usually received many tips because everybody just looked like they felt sorry for you, haha.

For a haircut, I go to a barbershop where they charge $9/haircut for men. I think that a $3-$5 tip is sufficient depending on the how good the haircut is.

For a haircut, I go to a barbershop where they charge $9/haircut for men. I think that a $3-$5 tip is sufficient depending on the how good the haircut is.

Q: What's the difference between a good haircut and a bad one?

A: 2 weeks

For me, 1 day.. :D

actually 2...

Take-out - forget it.

Eateries? - depends on if I get plates dropped down and immediately asked "Everything OK?"

I do not want to know a server's name. I do not want to tell me that they are my server. I do not want to be told "No Problem!" A simple hello, or good morning, or good evening is all that is necessary - common courtesy and manners. Else is fawning, affected, possibly forced by the employer's manic personnel wonks. But not exclusively - there is no end of servers that are idiots of the first water, and only consider themselves and think only about how to pocket max cash.

Bars? The profit margin in the biz is huge. How much effort does it take to dispense a drink or a shot, uncap a beer bottle or pull a tab and walk 4 or 5 or 6 feet? Nothing.

At 99% percent of the booze establishments in America - one buck if you are sitting at the bar...regardless of quantity paid for. Table service, add some more.

Edited by stuckincincy

I usually tip pretty well as I know most people receiving tips are not earning a fortune. However one thing I can't stand is the "tip jars" that have appeared everywhere. I find this practice annoying - if you've earned a tp - fine I will give you one. If you are simply using a glorified panhandling practice - forget it.

Take-out - forget it.

Eateries? - depends on if I get plates dropped down and immediately asked "Everything OK?"

I do not want to know a server's name. I do not want to tell me that they are my server. I do not want to be told "No Problem!" A simple hello, or good morning, or good evening is all that is necessary - common courtesy and manners. Else is fawning, affected, possibly forced by the employer's manic personnel wonks. But not exclusively - there is no end of servers that are idiots of the first water, and only consider themselves and think only about how to pocket max cash.

Bars? The profit margin in the biz is huge. How much effort does it take to dispense a drink or a shot, uncap a beer bottle or pull a tab and walk 4 or 5 or 6 feet? Nothing.

At 99% percent of the booze establishments in America - one buck if you are sitting at the bar...regardless of quantity paid for. Table service, add some more.

You sound like a gem to serve.

Take-out - forget it.

Do you tell them this right away? Maybe you could just wear a "I'm too good for you" t-shirt. :D

Do you tell them this right away? Maybe you could just wear a "I'm too good for you" t-shirt. :D

Feel free to continue to shell out your money, while they make jokes about you in the kitchen... :thumbsup:

Travel to Germany. Read the term..."price inclusive". One of the prevailing, persistent myths is that serving tables is poor-paying occupation. Not only can you pocket a bundle of cash money that you may or may not report, you get to plead poverty and get saps to pet you about your poor lot in life.

Like you have to train, go and pay for higher education to get into the biz...please... ;)

Tipping - I almost always double the tax and round up to the nearest dollar. At 9.5% out here that usually works out to more than 20%. I usually have a "minimum" tip when I visit a cheapo place like an ihop or similar local establishment, which is typically $4 unless the service was awful, in which case I'll adjust accordingly. Servers earn larger tips from me if they keep my beverage filled and are actually visible if I need something. Too many of them stay in the kitchen for five minutes when I run out of something like bread, ketchup, cocktail sauce, whatever.

Pickup - never, the only exception being a place like Outback that'll take it out to your car, when I'll usually leave $2.

Another note. I NEVER complain about my meal. Ever - I've been brought the wrong thing and I'll still eat it... but I've never been in a situation where a completely different entree has been brought out. I've read about and heard too many horror stories with chefs and wait staff retaliating against complainers that I simply won't do it.

Feel free to continue to shell out your money, while they make jokes about you in the kitchen... ;)

Travel to Germany. Read the term..."price inclusive". One of the prevailing, persistent myths is that serving tables is poor-paying occupation. Not only can you pocket a bundle of cash money that you may or may not report, you get to plead poverty and get saps to pet you about your poor lot in life.

Like you have to train, go and pay for higher education to get into the biz...please... :D

I have friends that are bartenders and usually, on a good weekend, a good looking girl in a club will take home about 600-800 in tip money. That's for working from 10-11PM to 3 AM serving drinks.

Roughly 100$ an hour to serve drinks in a nightclub. After the chicks worked about 50 hours, she's paid off her boobjob and is making 4 times what I make without somewhat of a high school degree. And the way they talk, it's as if they're entitled to it. Obviously i try to stay within the norm since I like to get served my drinks but it's just ridiculous.

In Europe, most places, it's included in the bill.

Tipping - I almost always double the tax and round up to the nearest dollar. At 9.5% out here that usually works out to more than 20%. I usually have a "minimum" tip when I visit a cheapo place like an ihop or similar local establishment, which is typically $4 unless the service was awful, in which case I'll adjust accordingly. Servers earn larger tips from me if they keep my beverage filled and are actually visible if I need something. Too many of them stay in the kitchen for five minutes when I run out of something like bread, ketchup, cocktail sauce, whatever.

Pickup - never, the only exception being a place like Outback that'll take it out to your car, when I'll usually leave $2.

Another note. I NEVER complain about my meal. Ever - I've been brought the wrong thing and I'll still eat it... but I've never been in a situation where a completely different entree has been brought out. I've read about and heard too many horror stories with chefs and wait staff retaliating against complainers that I simply won't do it.

That last part reminds me of a story. My dad was executive chef at the Glen Iris, and every weekend the same old woman would come in and order the prime rib "well done." No matter how much they cooked it, she would always send it back because it wasn't done enough, never failed. Eventually, they just started throwing a piece of prime rib in the broiler and cooking it until you could barely cut it, then soaking it in au jus until she came in. Then they would heat it up and bring it out to her.

P.S. She still sent it back.

Feel free to continue to shell out your money, while they make jokes about you in the kitchen... ;)

Like you have to train, go and pay for higher education to get into the biz...please... :D

No Problem.

I like you Cincy, so a little tip for you, don't visit the same place a lot. Seriously, hit new places every time.

I have friends that are bartenders and usually, on a good weekend, a good looking girl in a club will take home about 600-800 in tip money. That's for working from 10-11PM to 3 AM serving drinks.

Roughly 100$ an hour to serve drinks in a nightclub. After the chicks worked about 50 hours, she's paid off her boobjob and is making 4 times what I make without somewhat of a high school degree. And the way they talk, it's as if they're entitled to it. Obviously i try to stay within the norm since I like to get served my drinks but it's just ridiculous.

In Europe, most places, it's included in the bill.

That is extreme and there are very few places where the bartenders make cash like that.

That is extreme and there are very few places where the bartenders make cash like that.

big clubs in big cities. shoot, i used to make a couple hundred a night just waiting tables at a nice restaurant.

the big, packed bars with $7 bottles of beer and $10 drinks... the bartenders can make a killing. $500 on a Thursday night, who knows what over the weekend.