Adam Schefter says Derek Anderson is good enough to start for most NFL

The Dean

On SportCenter, this morning, Adam Schefter asserted Derek Anderson is good enough to start at QB for most NFL teams.

Really?

Anyone agree with this?

[Let's take care of some well known responses in advance.

Who's Adam Schefter/Derek Anderson? Just a couple of guys

Who cares what Schefter says? Not me, really. Just thought it was absurd enough to share and discuss. He did have a good year in 2007, but hasn't shown anything before or since, IMO.

ESPN sucks! Fine. Whatever.]

On SportCenter, this morning, Adam Schefter asserted Derek Anderson is good enough to start at QB for most NFL teams.

Really?

Anyone agree with this?

Who cares what Schefter says? Not me, really. Just thought it was absurd enough to share and discuss. He did have a good year in 2007, but hasn't shown anything before or since, IMO.

I don't know about "most," but did you see Leftwich? Farve and Collins are 90. Nothing special in KC or Denver. Jason Campbell? Not so sure anymore. Hasselback is out. How much do you like JeMarcus?

That was off the top of my head so I am thinking he is at least close. How about you?

Really?

Anyone agree with this?

No no no you heard it wrong, he said he's good enough to start for most UFL teams :thumbsup:

Really?

Anyone agree with this?

I don't agree. He had a good season (that paid off - CLE got something like 4 prime-time games the following season), but he really fell off.

Really?

Anyone agree with this?

I find Derek Anderson to be an enigma. How can he have gone from his pro-bowl season from a few years ago to an absolute zero? It's mind-boggling. But the current version of Derek Anderson couldn't start in the NFL. I would probably go with Losman over him if I had to choose.

It strikes me, Dean, that the phrase "so and so is good enough to start for most teams.." has become a go-to cliche for sports talkers when they discuss backups. Like all cliches, it might have a grain of truth, but is also meaningless.. most professionals are good enough to start on a lot of teams, depending on whether there happen to be better professionals in front of them. It is mindless blather, another reason why the only place I go for sports discussion is TSW. The TV and radio talking heads have nothing worthwhile to say.

Really?

Anyone agree with this?

It strikes me, Dean, that the phrase "so and so is good enough to start for most teams.." has become a go-to cliche for sports talkers when they discuss backups. Like all cliches, it might have a grain of truth, but is also meaningless.. most professionals are good enough to start on a lot of teams, depending on whether there happen to be better professionals in front of them. It is mindless blather, another reason why the only place I go for sports discussion is TSW. The TV and radio talking heads have nothing worthwhile to say.

In this case, Schefter went on a little bit about Anderson, so I think he meant it more than in the usual clichéd way. But you make a good point, RJ.

Really?

Anyone agree with this?

He maybe starting in Cleveland if they go 0 for october.

Dereck anderson >, Oakland, SF, Carolina, Cleveland, Detroit (right now), Denver?, Washington, Seattle, Tampa Bay, Chiefsand maybe St. Louis. So a bunch of teams but not MOST.

Nope. The biggest mistake Cleveland made was not dealing Quinn or Anderson after Anderson's 2007 season. I believe the Vikes were calling with a 1st round pick for him.

Even in Anderson's pro-bowl season, he started to tail off at the end of the season. Take a look at the numbers. He threw something like 18 or 19 or his 28 TDs in the first half of the season and then his play dropped dramatically. Derek Anderson is another QB in the long line of guys who got hot for half a season and then faded into obscurity.

I guess he would get the Scott Mitchell Award... but was not fortunate enough to cash in before obscurity....

Nope. The biggest mistake Cleveland made was not dealing Quinn or Anderson after Anderson's 2007 season. I believe the Vikes were calling with a 1st round pick for him.

Even in Anderson's pro-bowl season, he started to tail off at the end of the season. Take a look at the numbers. He threw something like 18 or 19 or his 28 TDs in the first half of the season and then his play dropped dramatically. Derek Anderson is another QB in the long line of guys who got hot for half a season and then faded into obscurity.

Really?

Anyone agree with this?

Derrick Anderson is a below average NFL QB. Sure he could start on a few NFL teams but thats more of a product of some teams in the NFL not having very good starters. Anderson's biggest issue is accuracy even in his one good year in 2007 he was still below 60% completion percentage. Anderson has a good arm as far as how far he can throw it but he negates that with accuracy issues and bad decision making.

If Anderson is to be traded next offseason (That is assuming he is willing to take a pay cut or else the Browns are likely to cut him) a few teams would be willing to pick him up (Vikings, 49ers, Redskins, Seahawks if Hasselbeck is hurt, Oakland, Denver, St.Louis and maybe Carolina) so I don't think he is done playing QB in the league there aren't enough good ones in the league to keep him from getting a job.

BUT I don't think he will be any good. Teams have learned you can't teach accuracy (The old school of though was if he could throw it deep you could teach him to be more accurate) and unless Anderson's lack of accuracy is a product of bad decision making (Which you can improve upon some what) he just won't be anything more than a back up in this league.

Really?

Anyone agree with this?

Derek Anderson could compete for the starting job on the following teams in my opinnion based on the level of QB play by their current QB's:

CLEVELAND - He is better than Quinn, at least at this point...

Mia

SF

Oak

Min - Farve is going to be made to look good by AP and the O Line...but I would rather have a young DA over him

TB

Jax

Ten - Collins is no more than a game manager at this point in his career

Den

Det - Stafford is not better than DA right now, may be down the road, only time will tell, but not now.

Was

Car

Rams - Bulgers best days are behind him

Dark Horse team = Dal - I think he might give Romo a run for his money as Romo just doesnt seem to be getting better, its like he has just flattened out...

So to my account, that is 14 teams he could potentially start for...almost half the league. KC could also be included potentially only because Cassel is still unproven on his new team...

Yeah, not dealing him or Quinn to the Vikes that year was a big miss on their part...they knew it would eventually lead to this much like it did in SD with Rivers and Brees, but unlike Quinn, Rivers became one of the best QB's in football...

Derek Anderson could compete for the starting job on the following teams in my opinnion based on the level of QB play by their current QB's:

CLEVELAND - He is better than Quinn, at least at this point...

Mia

SF

Oak

Min - Farve is going to be made to look good by AP and the O Line...but I would rather have a young DA over him

TB

Jax

Ten - Collins is no more than a game manager at this point in his career

Den

Det - Stafford is not better than DA right now, may be down the road, only time will tell, but not now.

Was

Car

Rams - Bulgers best days are behind him

Dark Horse team = Dal - I think he might give Romo a run for his money as Romo just doesnt seem to be getting better, its like he has just flattened out...

So to my account, that is 14 teams he could potentially start for...almost half the league. KC could also be included potentially only because Cassel is still unproven on his new team...

Well, if you REALLY believe he is better than Pennington, Collins, Favre, Romo, etc, he should have won the Cleveland job with ease.

Truth is, Anderson probably wouldn't start on ANY of those teams. He might, just might, be a #2 for those teams.

The Browns pretty much know what Anderson can do. He's a tall guy with a big arm who doesn't improvise well. With good blocking and good targets he can light up teams like he did in 2007. Like almost all players Anderson has his strengths and weaknesses. IMO he probably could start for half the teams in the league.

But the Browns spent a number one draft pick on Ohio product and Golden Domer Brady Quinn and they need to evaluate him...so they are playing him.

Quinn has played poorly in the first two weeks. If he doesn't show improvement and they feel like he's hit a ceiling, it's possible they go back to Anderson. If they feel Quinn is progressing and the season is a lost cause anyways, they might continue to play Quinn, to get him the experience he needs.

BTW, I agree with most of Alphadawg's list.

Really?

Anyone agree with this?

A bit of Hyperbole' I would say on Schefters part. Sure, if you could just only consider that one really good year that would be a fair statement, but you can't just rationally choose and pick what games or what year to make an over the top statement such as that.

I would say that he could compete for a starting job with roughly 1/3 of the teams in the NFL, out of those teams he would be lucky in my view to win the battle out of half of them.

Well, if you REALLY believe he is better than Pennington, Collins, Favre, Romo, etc, he should have won the Cleveland job with ease.

Truth is, Anderson probably wouldn't start on ANY of those teams. He might, just might, be a #2 for those teams.

Well, first I said he could challenge for the job in those cities, some he would flat out start, but others I think he could push for the job come next year. As far as him not winning the job in Cle, well it was no secret they really wanted Quinn to get the job...home town kid, 1st round draft pick, etc, etc...DA clearly outplayed Quinn in preseason yet they still gave the job to Quinn who has not been good so far.

As far as your other QB's, let me shed some light on why I listed the ones I did, starting with the QB's you mentioned:

Pennington is on the hot seat and in jeopardy right now of losing the job to Henne if he doesnt start doing something better in the next couple of weeks, and I definitely think he is better than Henne.

Collins is no more than a game manager at this point and in an open competition I think DA would push him for the job.

Favre is on his last leg IMO and I would prefer a young DA than a guy in his last year in football. I am not saying he is better than Favre per se, I just dont think Favre has a lot left in the tank.

Romo is up and down, so hard to get a grip on how good he is. The thing that concerns me about him is there just doesnt seem to be any improvement. If Dal doesnt get it done down the stretch and Romo stuggles again, he will be on the hot seat and I could see DA pushing him for the job. Jerry Jones isnt afraid of making big change...

As far as the other teams, how can you say he wouldnt start on those teams or at least challenge?

Oak - Russell is the most inaccurate QB in the NFL and hasnt made a single step forward and looks as bad this year as last year.

SF - Shaun Hill? If DA was in SF he would have won the QB job. Heck Hill barely beat out Smith who is terrible.

TB - Leftwhich? Really? You dont think DA is better than Byron who has done nothing in the NFL and barely won the QB job amongst a stable of inexperienced and bad QB's?

Jax - Garrard? He cant get it done in the passing game and is in a make or break year for him.

Den - Orton? Really? The best he has ever done is mediocre at best...and so far he hasnt been good in Den

Det - Stafford may be better or may not be...no one knows, but DA is better right now just on experience alone.

Was - Campbell? He has promise but isnt there yet...more concerning is the fact Was keeps looking for other QB's

Car - Delhomme? He seems to be a shell of his former self, and even S. Smith was overheard on audio saying he has never liked him as their QB but loves him as a friend.

Rams - Bulgers best days are behind him and he hasnt had a good year in a while. DA could easily push him for the job.

Really?

Anyone agree with this?

I think this says more about the state of NFL Quarterbacking than it does about Anderson...

A bit of Hyperbole' I would say on Schefters part. Sure, if you could just only consider that one really good year that would be a fair statement, but you can't just rationally choose and pick what games or what year to make an over the top statement such as that.

I would say that he could compete for a starting job with roughly 1/3 of the teams in the NFL, out of those teams he would be lucky in my view to win the battle out of half of them.

That sounds about right. I think Anderson would make the roster of maybe half to two-thirds of the teams in the NFL.

I think this says more about the state of NFL Quarterbacking than it does about Anderson...

According to a report on the NFL Network today (Total Access) this is the Golden Age of NFL QBs. The level of play has never been higher. They even used Trent Edwards as an example.

(For the record, I'm not sure I buy it.)

He maybe starting in Cleveland if they go 0 for october.

Dereck anderson >, Oakland, SF, Carolina, Cleveland, Detroit (right now), Denver?, Washington, Seattle, Tampa Bay, Chiefsand maybe St. Louis. So a bunch of teams but not MOST.

I would add to that list Jacksonville, and possibly Miami.

Really?

Anyone agree with this?

The Dean. You really seem to be hung up on "draft status". And I can't figure out why.

Anderson could start and play better than about half of the leagues starters. I'll take him in Denver any day.

His so called "poor performance" last year was based on dropped balls that hit the receives right in the hands.

Same with Jake Delhomme. Carolina fell apart in the season that he had Tommy John surgery. And he's had two bad games and every one wants to dump him.

If they did, half the league would sign him, even at his advanced age.

People also said Kurt Warner was done and look at what he's done.

The Dean. You really seem to be hung up on "draft status". And I can't figure out why.

Anderson could start and play better than about half of the leagues starters. I'll take him in Denver any day.

I'm hung up on "draft status"?

How did you possibly come up with that? Where in my post did I mention the draft status of anyone?

I'm hung up on "draft status"?

How did you possibly come up with that? Where in my post did I mention the draft status of anyone?

Because you ignore production.

You declare a guy to be a one-hit wonder. You are assuming that Brady Quinn actually won the job vs being a high-round draft pick who was declared the winner because of his draft status.

The throws that Anderson can make . . . and that's all the throws that are needed . . . gives him the nod. He can't help dropped balls.

Because you ignore production.

You declare a guy to be a one-hit wonder. You are assuming that Brady Quinn actually won the job vs being a high-round draft pick who was declared the winner because of his draft status.

The throws that Anderson can make . . . and that's all the throws that are needed . . . gives him the nod. He can't help dropped balls.

LIAR!

How's that? :devil:

Draft status didn't factor into my analysis, And I don't think it factored into the Browns' decision, either.

I don't give a rat's ass about draft status. I just don't think Anderson has been any good, outside of that one season. I think he might have a fighting chance to be a legit #1 on a handful of teams. It's preposterous to think a team like Miami would consider starting him over Chad (for example), IMO.

LIAR!

How's that? :devil:

Draft status didn't factor into my analysis, And I don't think it factored into the Browns' decision, either.

I don't give a rat's ass about draft status. I just don't think Anderson has been any good, outside of that one season. I think he might have a fighting chance to be a legit #1 on a handful of teams. It's preposterous to think a team like Miami would consider starting him over Chad (for example), IMO.

It did indeed factor into the Browns decision, IMO.

I think Brady hasn't shown a thing to justify him being the starter. We'll see how long he last. They did pay Quinn a ton and they'd look bad if they got rid of him.

But there's a trade factor with Anderson also.