Langston Walker released/Kirk Chambers re-signed

Warren Zevon

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

THAT is what I would like to know.

For what little it's worth, I think that Chambers will be about the same as Walker at LT. He is certainly smaller, but I think he is more agile and suited for the position. Still, your question is what stands out. WTF are they doing? How do you cut a player and then name him your starting LT? How on earth could a profession coach focus so little on the LT position?

What an absolute freaking mess. :wallbash:

He isn't the starting LT, Bell is. I would assume they had some sort of agreement with Chambers that they were going to resign him quickly. I assume if he received another offer, the Bills would match. Chambers would come back because the OT situation is so shaky here, as compared to any other team that might offer him a contract.

The bills knew that Walker could not do the job mid-way though training camp.

that why they were preparing Bell for the job before he hurt his back. Look at all the reps he got in the Green bay game.

But the timing sucks...

TO must be thinking if they can't protect Trent why the hell did I come here??

THAT is what I would like to know.

For what little it's worth, I think that Chambers will be about the same as Walker at LT. He is certainly smaller, but I think he is more agile and suited for the position. Still, your question is what stands out. WTF are they doing? How do you cut a player and then name him your starting LT? How on earth could a profession coach focus so little on the LT position?

What an absolute freaking mess. :wallbash:

From what everyone is saying, Bell will be the starting LT. Do you have any different info?

I think it's less the quality of Walker than it is the quality of the decision making process that leads an organization to cut their starting left tackle a week before the season opener and in turn resign a guy they just cut three days ago. :wallbash:

Questioning how the FO could ever think that Walker was capable of being a NFL caliber LT in the first place is a fair criticism. I'm just confused how people can go suicidal over cutting Walker after his god-awful preseason.

what a bunch of panty-wastes on this board!

this guy was horrendous. did anyone watch him play in any of the 5 preseason games? he was brutal in run blocking, and got abused by Dewayne White (who?), Detroit's RDE (2 penalties and 3 blown blocking assignments in 4 plays in the 2nd quarter) in the passing game.

there's no way this is such a bad move. yes, the timing was poor, but it was the right move.

Jauron just screwed himself and should be gone after another losing year. However, I wonder if a new O-line will be enough of an excuse to bring him back next year as long as the team is competitive. Honestly, I rather just tank the season than bring this guy back next year. Hell go 1-15 I just want one freakin win against the Patriots.

Russ Brandon: Hi, Kirk? It's Russ Brandon.

Kirk Chambers: !@#$ You, !@#$ - you !@#$ing cut me!

RB: Yeah... sorry about that. Listen, we just cut Langston Walker and we were wonder...

KC: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA You what?

RB: heh heh yeah... So anyways... We were hoping you'd like to come back to the Bills and be part of what we're building here

KC: I want double what I was making.

RB: OK... Seeya this afternoon then.

Congratulations to Ralph Wilson for saving another $3 million dollars! So, that means he has now saved $5 million in the past week by cutting Rhodes and Walker, plus who knows how much he may have pocketed terminating Schonert. I'm so happy for Ralph!! Hopefully he'll dump some more payroll before this is over, because I am a big fan of Ralph Wilson and get excited when he increases his net worth!

Remember, just as many fans here have astutely said in the past, Ralph is the Bills, who in turn represent Buffalo, which represent the communities that include friends and family members, so when Ralph clears a few million by cutting players, coaches and operating costs, plus pockets some big payola moving games to Toronto, we all can celebrate like our own flesh and blood just grew his portfolio!

Go Ralph, go! You da man!!

Maybe they better sign a few more TEs.

oh crap. dick jauron quote on the walker situation:

"I wasn't even thinking about thinking about cutting Langston last week, and wasn't thinking about cutting him two weeks ago. Now, after last season, I did think about switching him to left tackle, after thinking about trading Jason Peters. Once I started thinking about thinking about it, I clearly made my decision and think it's the right one. I was thinking about having Turk give him the news, but remembered thinking that I let Turk go last week after thinking about that.".

Bell will be back at practice tomorrow after the extra rest... no way they make this decision without knowing that. Walker was a waste of space and money... Give Karl's kid a game or 2 and he's solid.

Edwards may be blown up in a game or two!....Long term it could be fine...but in the interim....Look out!!

this guy was horrendous. did anyone watch him play in any of the 5 preseason games? he was brutal in run blocking, and got abused by Dewayne White (who?), Detroit's RDE (2 penalties and 3 blown blocking assignments in 4 plays in the 2nd quarter) in the passing game.

there's no way this is such a bad move. yes, the timing was poor, but it was the right move.

thank you

He isn't the starting LT, Bell is. I would assume they had some sort of agreement with Chambers that they were going to resign him quickly. I assume if he received another offer, the Bills would match. Chambers would come back because the OT situation is so shaky here, as compared to any other team that might offer him a contract.

I am less certain of Bell being the starter, at least initially. Chambers has actually played the position, and there is just so much inexperience on this line.

Either way, the Jauron method of building a team isn't just bad, it's mind boggling. There can be little wonder why his teams simply lose.

Congratulations to Ralph Wilson for saving another $3 million dollars! So, that means he has now saved $5 million in the past week by cutting Rhodes and Walker, plus who knows how much he may have pocketed terminating Schonert. I'm so happy for Ralph!! Hopefully he'll dump some more payroll before this is over, because I am a big fan of Ralph Wilson and get excited when he increases his net worth!

Remember, just as many fans here have astutely said in the past, Ralph is the Bills, who in turn represent Buffalo, which represent the communities that include friends and family members, so when Ralph clears a few million by cutting players, coaches and operating costs, plus pockets some big payola moving games to Toronto, we all can celebrate like our own flesh and blood just increased his portfolio!

Go Ralph, go! You da man!!

you keep posting this about schonert, but ralph has to pay out the length of his contract.

Agree. We're going serious, young, fast, high-endurance, fit, and cheap.

Walker was none of the above.

The Bills released veteran left tackle Langston Walker, according to league sources, after trying to deal him to other teams. Walker was a player they expected to be their starting left tackle after dealing Jason Peters to Philadelphia in the offseason, but Demetrius Bell beat him out and is now in line to start.

Walker, 30, had started 32 straight games for the Bills since joining the club in 2007.

yes!

This is dumb ass. Guy did everything that was asked of him without complaining. Our FO and coaching seem to live the mantra "Put them in positions to fail."

C

Actually this isn't entirely true, when asked about the move he didn't necessarily complain but he sure wasn't to thrilled about it, as he said something like "I'll just do what they tell me to do..."

Our o-line is very young, let's hope that we can develop them into a great line in a few years. I think Walker is a little better than Bell today but he has a tremendous upside so i'm okay with the move. Trent should invest in some additional insurance until these guys mature.

+1

Walker sucked the entire preseason, now we B word when he's cut. Bad timing, but good riddance, should have been cut a couple of weeks ago. Maybe they just kept him on until the knew if Bell was going to be ready.

Our o-line is very young, let's hope that we can develop them into a great line in a few years. I think Walker is a little better than Bell today but he has a tremendous upside so i'm okay with the move. Trent should invest in some additional insurance until these guys mature.

But this is exactly what I'm sick of. Maybe net year. Constantly rebuilding. Once the oline develops, even if they become good, we won't have the money to keep top FA's of our own around. I thought this could have been a great year for us. If we had dealt with Peters better 3 years ago, we would still have him at LT. And we'd be fielding a much better oline that would give our QB time to throw. Our line sucks. We are going to have a horrible year, and in a few years, players like Lynch, Poz, McKelvin might not be here anyway

Makes me think it is possible Trent said something to the effect that he couldn't function trying to throw down field while having one eye constantly veering to left. Just a thought. Walker must have graded out close to zero.

It baffles me that folks chalk this up to Ralph wanting to save $$. At this point in his life Ralph has more money than God and simply wants a winner. That may not have always been true, but I believe it is now. The moves by DJ over the past week may actually signify the END of Ralph's meddling. I think he has told DJ and Brandon to "make it happen by whatever means necessary."

Purely speculation on my part, but that's what these boards are for.

Langston Walker has been bashed since the day he arrived at One Bills Drive. Those of you touting his abilities at RT have forgotten his mediocre play.

The coaches must obviously believe Bell is healthy and will be ready to start next Monday night, and they re-signed a capable backup in Chambers.

Dick has finally grown a set of balls, and is putting his stamp on this team. Nobody should be feeling too comfortable in that locker room, seeing the likes of Schonert, Rhodes, and now Walker shown the door in a matter of days. It's a feeling of accountability that is long overdue, and I for one am encouraged by it.

What about Walker's contract?

Maybe Walker should tell Russ Brandon to show up at OTA's next year and they can "talk" about renegotiation and or voiding the contract?

LOL...I really hate to say it because the money gets in the way of the game but no wonder these players try to renegotiate their contracts when they out play them. Front offices have no problem telling them to wipe their butt with it and hit the road when they under perform it...Oh...unless you are Schobel or Kelsay that is.

Makes me think it is possible Trent said something to the effect that he couldn't function trying to throw down field while having one eye constantly veering to left. Just a thought. Walker must have graded out close to zero.

He looked waaaay out of his league all preseason. He was constantly turned around with one arm draped over the DE's torso. Bell, on the other hand, I didn't notice once-which is probably a good thing.

All about saving money people. All the tickets are already sold. Next year is looking more and more like it will be an uncapped year. Think Ralph is going to spend any money? Hell no. Save $5 million over the last week. Very nice Ralph. Then when the Bills go 1-15 this year and everyone gets all excited over the #1 pick and sells out the season before May, the Bills will trade the pick so they don't have to pay the guy. Then they will go 0-16 next year because RW will cry poor in an uncapped year and say he can't compete with no salary cap and then the following year there will be no season due to a lockout or strike. There's your next three years of the Buffalo Bills. At least Ralph will not be cash poor in the afterlife which I think is his only plan at this point.

there is something to be said about changing the culture. trying to get rid of losing types and start fresh with kids who dont know any better. all in all, they got rid of a losing player (walker) -- who has never been a winning pro team. he was on a sad raider team first.

this can either backfire or turn out to be brilliant. when it is brilliant -- often the talent and pedigree of the players are usually HIGH. GREEN BAY did this a few years ago and now has a dominant line. NE did it many years ago and is now dominates. you need to have good players to do it.

this experiment should be interesting. drafting a RT next year would be awesome -- if BEll pans out.

It baffles me that folks chalk this up to Ralph wanting to save $$. At this point in his life Ralph has more money than God and simply wants a winner. That may not have always been true, but I believe it is now. The moves by DJ over the past week may actually signify the END of Ralph's meddling. I think he has told DJ and Brandon to "make it happen by whatever means necessary."

Purely speculation on my part, but that's what these boards are for.

Langston Walker has been bashed since the day he arrived at One Bills Drive. Those of you touting his abilities at RT have forgotten his mediocre play.

The coaches must obviously believe Bell is healthy and will be ready to start next Monday night, and they re-signed a capable backup in Chambers.

Dick has finally grown a set of balls, and his putting his stamp on this team. Nobody should be feeling too comfortable in that locker room, seeing the likes of Schonert, Rhodes, and now Walker shown the door in a matter of days. It's a feeling of accountability that is long overdue, and I for one am encouraged by it.

Ok bud. Walker sucks, this move needed to be made. So what was the plan heading into the draft again? Tell me again why this team ended up with Maybin, Wood and Byrd instead of Oher and Everett Brown, etc.? Are you suggesting that the plan all along was to trade Peters, draft no left tackles, and hope Bell came into camp ready to take over? Come on. The fact is that the organization has no real plan, and hasn't from day one.