Langston Walker released/Kirk Chambers re-signed

Warren Zevon

C'mon. Haven't you guys seen the movie Major League? The owner puts together a purposely horrible team so they'll lose, attendance will drop, and she can move the team.

I think Ralph is following the script.

I hope that is not the case. There would be a lot of sad, unhappy and hurt people, including myself. That would be worse than any loss on the field the Buffalo Bills have had over the years.

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If this was just a money move, in that LW was making too much money to play RT, couldn't his contract have been re-structured ?

It isn't like they are against the cap and need the coin. If this was a money move, which looks probable, it is pathetic.

From what everyone is saying, Bell will be the starting LT. Do you have any different info?

None at all.

I base my suspicions on the fact that Bell has never played in a real game, and Chambers has. Also, I think that Chambers, while nothing special against the run, is a decent pass protector at LT. He was a horrible guard mind you, but the man is agile. He is what I would characterize as the perfect backup LT, and I think that he would be somewhere around decent as a starter.

Next, let's go to Jauron. Is he inclined to taking risks? It's simply hard for me to visualize Jauron putting a kid at LT who has no experience AND coming off an injury. In this case, he might be right.

Again, this is nothing but my opinion.

If this was just a money move, in that LW was making too much money to play RT, couldn't his contract have been re-structured ? Or was the FO giving LW a chance to test the waters and sign him back if he didn't get any offers ?

If this was not a money move, then perhaps there is a plan to bring in Runyan or trade for someone ? In either case, things will become clear in the next few days.

I certainly hope the answer is not 'none of the above' as then we are woefully low on depth.

lack of depth??

you are looking in the wrong places

we have plenty of DBs - kept 11

who needs OL -

I want to follow the logic here, because I assume our coaches and front office are paid to think things out in a timely manner and improve our team.

#1 we have a weak offensive line, but we trade away our pro-bowl LT, who admittedly is underperforming and unhappy - but we don't pay him to make him happy, since pro-bowl LT's just grow on trees and its not an important position, see, you can just

#2 take our adequately performing RT, who now is the best player on the line, and have him play LT, right? Even though he knows and anyone who understand football knows it will be a disaster, because he has the body-type for a RT, not an LT. And he is even sceptical if he can play the position, but we're told it will be fine, and then

#3 a week before the season starts you decide he can't play LT, in fact, although he was your "best" lineman he can't even play on the team at all, not even moved back to the RT spot, and you end up with

#4 a cheap undrafted LT who, being the bass-tard son of Karl Malone, has some athletic ability but five years football experience. And the guy has a bad back and hasn't practiced in two weeks. But that's fine. Because he's on a solid line with

#5 two rookie guards (one seems up to the task) an underperforming free-agent center, and a perpetually broken-down RT playing out of position. And for depth you got a guy who was waived and nobody else wanted, Johnathan Scott who now the more optimistic fools on this board are high on, simply because we haven't seen him play/suck yet, and one mediocre vet guard. But we didn't need to hang onto Walker - we could just let him go.

that pretty much sums it up

Ralph is a joke. All of the moves the Bills make are about selling jerseys (T.O) or saving money (keep Jauron, cutting Rhodes/Walker).

Those player cuts were all about saving money. There is noone on the O line as good as Walker. He was not suited for LT, but he is by far the best RT on the roster. Rhodes is way better than Omon. Cutting those guys saves Ralph money.

He does not care about fielding a competitive team. He needs to go. The Bills are now the laughing stock of the NFL. Al Davis is laughing at Ralph. Atleast Al tries to win. Ralph treats the Bills like a 401k. He just wants to maximize the value for his family upon his death. He is not even pretending to care about football anymore, regardless of the crap he said in his HOF speech about loving the competitiveness. Maybe he did when he was younger. Clearly not any more.

I am a season ticket holder and will continue to be becasue I love this team and long for a time when we have a real owner to bring this team some real glory.

Ya, that was the gameplan, sign Rhodes, make it appear that we are trying to improve the team, so that we can cut him before the season starts so that we can save money. Ya ya ya, that's the game plan

:unsure:

I like this move. There was no way Langston Walker was going to be the long-term solution at LT. Or even RT, for that matter. By getting rid of him now, we get to see whether Bell can fill the LT role. If he can, great. And if not, then we'll know that LT is a serious need, come the 2010 draft.

If, on the other hand, we'd retained Walker while keeping Bell on the bench, then, come the 2010 draft, the Bills would have to guess about how well Bell's career might work out. Guessing incorrectly could lead either to using a high pick on a LT they didn't need, or it could lead to failing to address the LT position when it was one of dire need.

I've also read that releasing Walker hurts our chances of beating the Pats. But I'd disagree. We're not going to win that game, either with Walker or without him. Getting Bell in there as quickly as possible will give us a better chance to win games in future weeks.

lack of depth??

you are looking in the wrong places

we have plenty of DBs - kept 11

who needs OL -

Welcome to my world. :unsure: The Levy/Jauron era is going to take a long time to undo, and I'm not even sure if there is an end in sight. Jauron has to be jettisoned out of WNY for there to be a real shred of hope for this franchise.

A semi-competent defensive backs coordinator is making this beautiful franchise a train wreck.

PS: Langston Walker is not the cause of the comments above. He is also a train wreck.

I want to follow the logic here, because I assume our coaches and front office are paid to think things out in a timely manner and improve our team.

#1 we have a weak offensive line, but we trade away our pro-bowl LT, who admittedly is underperforming and unhappy - but we don't pay him to make him happy, since pro-bowl LT's just grow on trees and its not an important position, see, you can just

#2 take our adequately performing RT, who now is the best player on the line, and have him play LT, right? Even though he knows and anyone who understand football knows it will be a disaster, because he has the body-type for a RT, not an LT. And he is even sceptical if he can play the position, but we're told it will be fine, and then

#3 a week before the season starts you decide he can't play LT, in fact, although he was your "best" lineman he can't even play on the team at all, not even moved back to the RT spot, and you end up with

#4 a cheap undrafted LT who, being the bass-tard son of Karl Malone, has some athletic ability but five years football experience. And the guy has a bad back and hasn't practiced in two weeks. But that's fine. Because he's on a solid line with

#5 two rookie guards (one seems up to the task) an underperforming free-agent center, and a perpetually broken-down RT playing out of position. And for depth you got a guy who was waived and nobody else wanted, Johnathan Scott who now the more optimistic fools on this board are high on, simply because we haven't seen him play/suck yet, and one mediocre vet guard. But we didn't need to hang onto Walker - we could just let him go.

I think you're missing the part where the FO ignores LT in the draft, but spends half of its picks on DBs.

I like this move. There was no way Langston Walker was going to be the long-term solution at LT. Or even RT, for that matter. By getting rid of him now, we get to see whether Bell can fill the LT role. If he can, great. And if not, then we'll know that LT is a serious need, come the 2010 draft.

If, on the other hand, we'd retained Walker while keeping Bell on the bench, then, come the 2010 draft, the Bills would have to guess about how well Bell's career might work out. Guessing incorrectly could lead either to using a high pick on a LT they didn't need, or it could lead to failing to address the LT position when it was one of dire need.

I've also read that releasing Walker hurts our chances of beating the Pats. But I'd disagree. We're not going to win that game, either with Walker or without him. Getting Bell in there as quickly as possible will give us a better chance to win games in future weeks.

Understood, but there was this whole time period called the off-season that they could have used to make these moves. and maybe drafted someone THIS year as well

Welcome to my world. :unsure: The Levy/Jauron era is going to take a long time to undo, and I'm not even sure if there is an end in sight. Jauron has to be jettisoned out of WNY for there to be a real shred of hope for this franchise.

A semi-competent defensive backs coordinator is making this beautiful franchise a train wreck.

PS: Langston Walker is not the cause of the comments above. He is also a train wreck.

Has this team, has anyone, carried so many DBs? No, seriously...

I'm not saying they will be 1-15 because the cut Walker. Walker sucked. He didn't want to be at LT and it showed. I had the Bills at 3-13 before they cut Walker. I'm not saying Walker was worth two wins either. If anything his contribution was worth more losses than anything. What I am saying is the OL as a whole is very young and very inexperienced. Takes time to build a solid O-line. 1987 for example. Wolford, Devlin, Hull, Ritcher, Ballard. Devlin was the veteran and was out after 88. Young, mostly inexperienced line. Ballard almost got Kelly killed a few times. By 1990 they were one of the best if not the best in the NFL. Is there a plan now? Play the young guys- Levitre, Wood, Bell along with Hangartner and who? Chambers? and let them develop together, if that is the case, great. We all know it is going to be a long, long year with a young o-line. I'm cool with that, if that is the plan. My problem is the head coach is not and should not be part of any rebuilding plan and the Bills should not say it is anything other than a rebuilding plan at this point. The TO signing baffles me more and more. This team is in no position to compete this year. Give me a new- GOOD- head coach and let's see what the plan is going forward. Right now they just seem like a big, giant mess with no direction and no plan. I'd start by scraping the no-huddle. Fewer plays the offense runs the better it will be for Edwards. More he takes a beating the worse he will be, now and going forward.

Holy crap! I take a day to get some house work done and they cut our starting LT?!?! I'm tired and its late, so I don't have the inclination to read all 16 pages, but what gives??? Why not trade him?

Is there anything of substance in here or is this 300 posts of people saying we're doomed?

Holy crap! I take a day to get some house work done and they cut our starting LT?!?! I'm tired and its late, so I don't have the inclination to read all 16 pages, but what gives??? Why not trade him?

Is there anything of substance in here or is this 300 posts of people saying we're doomed?

Supposedly, they tried to trade him, with no takers.

Decent mix of "we're dooomed" and "good -- he sucked anyway." Looking forward to the media day festivities tomorrow; guessing that could turn out to be a lot of fun. :unsure:

Decent mix of "we're dooomed" and "good -- he sucked anyway." Looking forward to the media day festivities tomorrow; guessing that could turn out to be a lot of fun. :censored:

Thanks for the update. :unsure:

Has there ever been so much turmoil in the week before the season opener? I mean, wow. Hard to believe they'd just cut him though. I guess they saved alot of cash. Oh well.

We actually get this ridiculous chaotic ineptitude as the celebration of the team's 50th year?!? Whoo Hoo.....Party Time!!!

Love your avatar. Pretty sure that was opening day '69, with our all-rookie backfield (Harris, Earthquake and Juice). I think I see O'Donell in there too. I wonder if that's Kalsu blocking Philbin..

Anyway, thanks for the memory. Kinda put's an all new OL in perspective..

Love your avatar. Pretty sure that was opening day '69, with our all-rookie backfield (Harris, Earthquake and Juice). I think I see O'Donell in there too. I wonder if that's Kalsu blocking Philbin..

Anyway, thanks for the memory. Kinda put's an all new OL in perspective..

Thank You my friend.

Walker stunk. Another of John Guy's great scouting decisions. Good riddance.

Let's see what Bell can do. He won't be any worse than Walker would have been.

Amen. I am a little surprised at the reaction around here. It's not like they cut Evans, Lynch or Maybin. It's Langston Freaking Walker, an extraordinarily average RT and a severely below average LT. Bell at LT and Butler at RT is better than any combo including Walker.

That begs the question......WHEN did they try to trade him? Did they realize in the last week or so that he cannot play LT, and they no longer wanted him on the team? Or, did they know months ago, and simply let Peters walk? It would seem to me that if this was planned just a little, they could have got a mid round draft pick for him. The Bills need all the draft picks they can get, taking into consideration that half of them will be on defensive backs.

And Lori, what about the Chambers cut? What was that all about? I just cannot understand what these people are doing. :devil:

Geezz...the way many of you were saying the offensive line was playing in the preseason, I'd have thought we'd trade him for a first round draft choice to someone. The fact is, as I've said all along, we are crippled on offense because of the offensive line. AVP will have to work around a bad line to make anything happen. Walker wasn't getting the job done.

That begs the question......WHEN did they try to trade him? Did they realize in the last week or so that he cannot play LT, and they no longer wanted him on the team? Or, did they know months ago, and simply let Peters walk? It would seem to me that if this was planned just a little, they could have got a mid round draft pick for him. The Bills need all the draft picks they can get, taking into consideration that half of them will be on defensive backs.

And Lori, what about the Chambers cut? What was that all about? I just cannot understand what these people are doing. :devil:

Chris Brown inferred that they cut Chambers to keep Walker under contract for a few more days to try and trade him. I don't know if that's true or not. My suspicion (pure speculation) is that AVP didn't feel like he could make that call only being on the job for a few hours and never even running the offensive practice with Walker at LT.

as for the trade, it seems that there isn't really much demand for right tackles out there.

My guess would be that they were looking for something else to happen and it didn't so they were forced to play a bad hand. Again. Perhaps the rumor that Runyan flat out turned down a team that offered him a visit was accurate. Perhaps the Walker trade option involved players and not just future picks.

Funny thing... they just talked about it on NFL TA. Nothing new reported, of course. However, I found it funny that while talking about how Walker was beat alot during preseason and wasn't making the transition smoothly, they showed clips of Edwards getting sacked during the preseason games.

Funny part was that in each clip it was a guy from the right side getting the sack. Walker actually stood his guy up fairly well each time or pushed him out of the way. So I ask, was he really that bad at LT?

Chris Brown inferred that they cut Chambers to keep Walker under contract for a few more days to try and trade him. I don't know if that's true or not. My suspicion (pure speculation) is that AVP didn't feel like he could make that call only being on the job for a few hours and never even running the offensive practice with Walker at LT.

as for the trade, it seems that there isn't really much demand for right tackles out there.

That makes sense, but I do disagree wrt the trade value of RTs. A mid round draft pick would have seemed a reasonable way to go. There is always a need for these guys.

What has, and will continue to irk me is the way that Jauron approaches the OL. Since he has been here, the Bills have drafted 275 defensive backs and even brought in a bunch of UFA dbs to compete for spots. The man, intellect and all, seems to have no knowledge of how to build a winning football team. Jauron should be a defensive backs assistant coach, and nothing else.