RIP Ted Kennedy

Buftex

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RIP Ted. His legacy will be marred forever by his youth (and rightfully so)...but he was also one of the few legislators on Capitol Hill with the ambition and ability to get sh*t done. We have Ted to thank for the improvement of the Voting Rights Act, funding of AIDS research, and Title IX among many other things.

Politics and personal issues aside, this was a man who served his country.

RIP

I was not a fan of this man. I thought he said a lot of vile things about President Bush, yet he was not alone in that area.

Also "The Big Dig" is not exactly a shining moment in his career.

Nevertheless, many people looked up to him, and he was one of the biggest figures in the liberal cause. The man had his critics, yet you could'nt say that the man was a phony.

I wasn't a big fan of his personal life either. Although he cleaned up his act over 40 years ago, he still killed someone. That can't be lost in all of this, so I offer an RIP to Mary Jo Kopechne. With that said, he did do a whole lot of good for this country, and he should be commended. RIP Ted.

Heard a guy on the radio talk about all the tragedy he was surrounded with his entire life,and it really surprised me. He buried multiple brothers,sisters and even nephews,that died before their time. And helped to raise many of his nieces and nephews. It's amazing he accomplished what he did. Even with all the money and everything the man had I wouldn't have wanted to trade places with him. He's definitely in a better place now. RIP Ted.

Being old enough to have many fond memories of Camelot, this is indeed a sad day. Of course he had his demons. Let only those who don't, cast stones. He overcame so much in his personal and political life to accomplish so much. It's conceivable history may show his biggest contribution to US politics may be forsaking his long friendship with the Clintons, to back/support Obama last year. For me, it's hard to imagine Hillary could have pulled it off..

Thank you for your service, Ted.

R.I.P.

i remember this from his speech withdrawing from his presidential bid. Seems appropriate now...tennyson.

There lies the port; the vessel puffs her sail;

There gloom the dark, broad seas. My mariners,

Souls that have toil'd, and wrought, and thought with me,--

That ever with a frolic welcome took

The thunder and the sunshine, and opposed

Free hearts, free foreheads,-- you and I are old;

Old age hath yet his honor and his toil.

Death closes all; but something ere the end,

Some work of noble note, may yet be done,

Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.

The lights begin to twinkle from the rocks;

The long day wanes; the slow moon climbs; the deep

Moans round with many voices. Come, my friends.

'T is not too late to seek a newer world.

Push off, and sitting well in order smite

The sounding furrows; for my purpose holds

To sail beyond the sunset, and the baths

Of all the western stars, until I die.

It may be that the gulfs will wash us down;

It may be we shall touch the Happy Isles,

And see the great Achilles, whom we knew.

Tho' much is taken, much abides; and tho'

We are not now that strength which in old days

Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,--

One equal temper of heroic hearts,

Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will

To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

RIP Ted. His legacy will be marred forever by his youth (and rightfully so)...but he was also one of the few legislators on Capitol Hill with the ambition and ability to get sh*t done. We have Ted to thank for the improvement of the Voting Rights Act, funding of AIDS research, and Title IX among many other things.

:unsure:

i remember this from his speech withdrawing from his presidential bid. Seems appropriate now...tennyson.

There lies the port; the vessel puffs her sail;

There gloom the dark, broad seas. My mariners,

Souls that have toil'd, and wrought, and thought with me,--

That ever with a frolic welcome took

The thunder and the sunshine, and opposed

Free hearts, free foreheads,-- you and I are old;

Old age hath yet his honor and his toil.

Death closes all; but something ere the end,

Some work of noble note, may yet be done,

Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.

The lights begin to twinkle from the rocks;

The long day wanes; the slow moon climbs; the deep

Moans round with many voices. Come, my friends.

'T is not too late to seek a newer world.

Push off, and sitting well in order smite

The sounding furrows; for my purpose holds

To sail beyond the sunset, and the baths

Of all the western stars, until I die.

It may be that the gulfs will wash us down;

It may be we shall touch the Happy Isles,

And see the great Achilles, whom we knew.

Tho' much is taken, much abides; and tho'

We are not now that strength which in old days

Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,--

One equal temper of heroic hearts,

Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will

To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

Language can be a glorious thing. Thanks for the teny, tenny.

Rest easy, senator.

Heard a guy on the radio talk about all the tragedy he was surrounded with his entire life,and it really surprised me. He buried multiple brothers,sisters and even nephews,that died before their time. And helped to raise many of his nieces and nephews. It's amazing he accomplished what he did. Even with all the money and everything the man had I wouldn't have wanted to trade places with him. He's definitely in a better place now. RIP Ted.

Here's someone else that died before her time...

Remembering Mary Jo

I did not agree with his politics but his belief in service to the country is to be admired. May he RIP.

+1

He may be the rallying cry to pass ObamaCare, but we'll save that discussion for another day ...

If that term makes you sleep better at night... more power to you.

Scott--when I grew up my options (at a small school) were:

football

baseball

basketball

wrestling

track

cross country

girls options were:

softball (I think, but am not positive)

basketball

track

Today youth sports have exploded for both genders and if you don't think Title IX had something to do with that then you are dumber than you appear. Yes, I want my kids to be able to try everything. Girls hockey? WTF not? Soccer? Absolutely. Gymnasticsbasketballvolleyballsoftballandonandonandon.

If you don't think Title IX was necessary what are your thoughts about the Civil Rights Bill?

I sleep fine, thanks.

(hope your next is a girl :unsure: )

<but I suppose this discussion should take place elsewhere>

'Marred by his youth', huh? He was 57 years old at the time of this incident...

In the Summer of 1989 Kennedy and fellow Senator Chris Dodd were having lunch at famous Washington D.C. restaurant La Brasserie. Kennedy requested the attendance of waitress Carla Gaviglio. According to the Washington Times...

"When she put in an appearance in their private retreat - 'The Teddy Kennedy Fun Room' - the Massachusetts senator picked her up and heaved her onto a table. The crystal candlesticks and champagne glasses shattered as he grabbed her again and flung her on top of Dodd.

"Then Kennedy threw himself on top of the woman. The waitress implored Mr. Kennedy to 'Get off me!'

"Another waitress entered to find 'things all tipped over and Kennedy was on top, [the waitress] was in the middle and Dodd was on the bottom.' At that point the sandwich was disassembled."

Two years later, on Good Friday, the now 59-year old senior senator from Massachusetts went out drinking and carousing with his young nephews in Palm Beach. Later that evening, Patricia Bowman ended up being raped on the beach by Kennedy nephew William Smith. Patricia Bowman later told her best friend that while she was being raped and shouting for help, that Sen. Ted Kennedy was nearby, watching, and did nothing.

I you really want to know about Edward Moore Kennedy - booze, pills, poppers, cocaine, and all - get yourself a copy of Richard Burke's book...

The Senator: My Ten Years with Ted Kennedy

TK was a spoiled frat boy that never grew up, and used his family's money and privilege to hold himself above the law.

Yeah but he tried really hard and did things for the people.....he turned around his life...a couple times...... :unsure:

In the Summer of 1989 Kennedy and fellow Senator Chris Dodd were having lunch at famous Washington D.C. restaurant La Brasserie. Kennedy requested the attendance of waitress Carla Gaviglio. According to the Washington Times...

"When she put in an appearance in their private retreat - 'The Teddy Kennedy Fun Room' - the Massachusetts senator picked her up and heaved her onto a table. The crystal candlesticks and champagne glasses shattered as he grabbed her again and flung her on top of Dodd.

"Then Kennedy threw himself on top of the woman. The waitress implored Mr. Kennedy to 'Get off me!'

"Another waitress entered to find 'things all tipped over and Kennedy was on top, [the waitress] was in the middle and Dodd was on the bottom.' At that point the sandwich was disassembled."

Two years later, on good Friday, the now 59-year old senior senator from Massachusetts took went out drinking and carousing with his young nephews in Palm Beach. Later that evening, Patricia Bowman ended up being raped on the beach by Kennedy nephew William Smith. Patricia Bowman later told her best friend that while she was being raped and shouting for help, that Sen. Ted Kennedy was nearby, watching, and did nothing.

I you really want to know about Edward Moore Kennedy - booze, pills, poppers, cocaine, and all - get yourself a copy of Richard Burke's book...

TK was a spoiled frat boy that never grew up, and used his family's money and privilege to hold himself above the law.

Precisely.

Call me a cynic, jerk, a**hole, whatever, but it bothers me how much ball washing goes on for someone like TK when they pass away. RIP, but the guy (IMO) was arrogant, pompous, self-serving, stubborn, and in general not that good of a person at all for much of the time when he lived, so that's exactly how I'm going to dictate how I react to his passing away. I'd much rather pay more attention and respect to good people losing their lives rather than Ted Kennedy or Michael Jackson types. I guess that's just not as interesting, though. :unsure:

Two years later, on Good Friday, the now 59-year old senior senator from Massachusetts went out drinking and carousing with his young nephews in Palm Beach. Later that evening, Patricia Bowman ended up being raped on the beach by Kennedy nephew William Smith. Patricia Bowman later told her best friend that while she was being raped and shouting for help, that Sen. Ted Kennedy was nearby, watching, and did nothing.

The Senator: My Ten Years with Ted Kennedy, by Richard Burke (St. Martin's, 328 pp., $23.95)

A PERSONAL assistant to Senator Edward M. Kennedy in the late 1970s, Richard Burke left his job after he was found to have faked death threats to himself and an attempt on his own life. Now, after business failures and bankruptcy, Burke has written an expose of his years with Kennedy. Why should anyone believe this guy? Burke addresses the problem cleverly by admitting that he told all those lies. But he says it was the booze-soaked, drug-laced, womanizing years with Kennedy that made him crazy and desperate enough to do it. Burke reports that Kennedy not only drank but used cocaine regularly, at least once with his children, and slept with one blonde after another--or, when possible, two at a time. Burke says he wanted to quit his job but was afraid of angering the senator. Finally he snapped and began conjuring up those phony threats. When his emotionally disturbed state was exposed, he had his justification for departing. Burke admits that Kenned, s decadence was limited in scope; the senator was a loving father and often acted out of real political principle. In other words, Kennedy's life, even in Burke's telling, was less disgusting than Burke's decision to write about it. Burke says that even before publication, Kennedy's friends began a carapaigu to discredit his book. This time around, it is hard not to sympathize with them.

Sounds like a great book by a really reliable author :unsure:

:unsure:

Don't see how you can be confused with Sage's post. While certainly a flawed human, Ted was a terrific Senator and a man devoted to public service.

RIP, Ted.

The Senator: My Ten Years with Ted Kennedy, by Richard Burke (St. Martin's, 328 pp., $23.95)

A PERSONAL assistant to Senator Edward M. Kennedy in the late 1970s, Richard Burke left his job after he was found to have faked death threats to himself and an attempt on his own life. Now, after business failures and bankruptcy, Burke has written an expose of his years with Kennedy. Why should anyone believe this guy? Burke addresses the problem cleverly by admitting that he told all those lies. But he says it was the booze-soaked, drug-laced, womanizing years with Kennedy that made him crazy and desperate enough to do it. Burke reports that Kennedy not only drank but used cocaine regularly, at least once with his children, and slept with one blonde after another--or, when possible, two at a time. Burke says he wanted to quit his job but was afraid of angering the senator. Finally he snapped and began conjuring up those phony threats. When his emotionally disturbed state was exposed, he had his justification for departing. Burke admits that Kenned, s decadence was limited in scope; the senator was a loving father and often acted out of real political principle. In other words, Kennedy's life, even in Burke's telling, was less disgusting than Burke's decision to write about it. Burke says that even before publication, Kennedy's friends began a carapaigu to discredit his book. This time around, it is hard not to sympathize with them.

Sounds like a great book by a really reliable author :unsure:

I notice you didn't try to discredit the Washington Times excerpt.

I have an 11:30 meeting with a retired judge who gets cranky when I'm late, so don't have time for this nonsense right now - will cite another 20 or so authors later, so you can spend the rest of the evening discrediting them. :P

precisely. I was in Biloxi Miss. the day Martin Luther King Jr. was killed. Some of these posts remind me of the comments I heard down there that day. :unsure:

Stark contrast between MLK Jr. and TK, and I don't mean just literally either.

precisely. I was in Biloxi Miss. the day Martin Luther King Jr. was killed. Some of these posts remind me of the comments I heard down there that day. :unsure:

It's amazing how hatred can go on into death. I am sorry for the people who think they knew him and didn't like him. Fact is that everyone can rub another person the wrong way. I would be willing to bet most of these people never even met the guy yet he's "was arrogant, pompous, self-serving, stubborn, and in general not that good of a person at all for much of the time when he lived"

Scott--when I grew up my options (at a small school) were:

football

baseball

basketball

wrestling

track

cross country

girls options were:

softball (I think, but am not positive)

basketball

track

Today youth sports have exploded for both genders and if you don't think Title IX had something to do with that then you are dumber than you appear. Yes, I want my kids to be able to try everything. Girls hockey? WTF not? Soccer? Absolutely. Gymnasticsbasketballvolleyballsoftballandonandonandon.

If you don't think Title IX was necessary what are your thoughts about the Civil Rights Bill?

I sleep fine, thanks.

(hope your next is a girl :P )

<but I suppose this discussion should take place elsewhere>

Obviously, your knowledge of Title IX and the insanity that surrounds it is severely limited, so I will refrain from hurling insults. Here's a nice little summary from the NYT if you care to educate yourself:

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/01/28/opinion/...h-title-ix.html

Marquette University had a wrestling team that was completely financed by alumni and supporters; yet the sport was dropped in 2001, to comply with gender equity.

This is Title IX reality... think about that quote for awhile. A law passed to address real or perceived gender discrimination in sports culminates in schools dropping programs financed by private individuals in order to meet some artificial quota. A law passed to expand opportunity results in less opportunity. Awesome.

and I'm sure you are pounding on your congressmen to force equal numbers in engineering classes, dance classes, early child care, and art classes... :unsure: