Jests complain about schedule for religious reasons

Beerball

oh fricking well.. NFl has played on Christmas day .... religion has no business determining schedules. If you can't make it because of your beleifs that is an issue for you to deal with not the NFL

So Jewish people in NYC are more important than those in any other NFL city? The Bills should offer to move one of the games to Toronto, and then the Jets can play the Bills at the Ralph.

That's EXACTLY what I was thinking. Well, let's make the Jewish people in Boston or Philly or Tampa suffer the home game on the holiday. We don't want it in New York City.

Very, very selfish, and frankly, typical NYC behavior.

Look, there are Jewish fans of sixteen teams that have trouble on each of those weekends (and for the very religious, all 32). It's simply the Jets' fans' turn this time. Too bad.

Who are the Jests? You can't please everyone all the time, it is impossible, but it is an oversight scheduling both days like that. I don't really think they will do anything about it though, I can't remember them ever changing a schedule because of fan complaints. I am not Jewish, do these holidays preclude them from attending events on those days? I know there are restrictions for them, but I have almost zero knowledge of the Jewish religion.

Here's my advice to people who have a conflict between their religious obligations and the scheduling of sporting events: Decide which one means more to you.

Bingo.

Additionally, I like to think that I respect everyone's religious beliefs and i do sympathize with those having a problem with this.

However, I do also respect TIVO and Stubhub.com, which are 2 ways to sort of resolve the problem.

Evidently the Jiants and Jests both attempted to get away games those two weeks.

For those who need it broken down mathematically:

17 weeks in a year

Jests play 8 home games

Jiants play 8 home games

It is impossible to accomodate both unless you mandate off day game like Thanksgiving for one of those teams.

This is something that they should have figured out before agreeing to share Jiants Stadium.

Next year what the Jiants Stadium ought to do is say stadium is "unavailable" those specific days and then NFL would be forced to change schedule.

What Douches in New York City!

Off-topic, but did anyone see the link to the Rex Ryan interview to the right of that story? "We don't expect to just win, we expect to win big". I know DJ takes a lot of flak for his dry personality, but I really hope this fat ba$tard chokes on the drumstick he keeps in his back pocket. He hasn't even coached a game yet and talks so much sh--.

Sloppy oversight on the part of the NFL. I wonder how they will resolve it.

How so? Every team has Jewish fans and so why should a team in another town suffer for their fans just because the Jests are babies. :lol:

Bingo.

Additionally, I like to think that I respect everyone's religious beliefs and i do sympathize with those having a problem with this.

However, I do also respect TIVO and Stubhub.com, which are 2 ways to sort of resolve the problem.

What the Jests are complaining about is the ability of Jewish fans to come to the stadium.

Evidently the Jiants and Jests both attempted to get away games those two weeks.

For those who need it broken down mathematically:

17 weeks in a year

Jests play 8 home games

Jiants play 8 home games

It is impossible to accomodate both unless you mandate off day game like Thanksgiving for one of those teams.

This is something that they should have figured out before agreeing to share Jiants Stadium.

Next year what the Jiants Stadium ought to do is say stadium is "unavailable" those specific days and then NFL would be forced to change schedule.

What Douches in New York City!

I was going to point out the same thing. :thumbdown: So the Jests want the Giants to suffer instead? What a bunch of crybabies.

Off-topic, but did anyone see the link to the Rex Ryan interview to the right of that story? "We don't expect to just win, we expect to win big". I know DJ takes a lot of flak for his dry personality, but I really hope this fat ba$tard chokes on the drumstick he keeps in his back pocket. He hasn't even coached a game yet and talks so much sh--.

his attitude reminds me too much of Gregggo. Watch, the guy will have an airhorn at training camp and everybody on ESPNM will call him the next lombardi.

So Jewish people in NYC are more important than those in any other NFL city? The Bills should offer to move one of the games to Toronto, and then the Jets can play the Bills at the Ralph.

No, but the Jewish people in NYC are the the ones most apt to kick and scream about literally anything, as evidenced here. This will eventually lead to cries of straight out anti-semitism by the NFL.

Bottom line, if you are that devote, it shouldnt even matter to you, your relgion should come first. Or just Tivo the game and STFU

Here's my advice to people who have a conflict between their religious obligations and the scheduling of sporting events: Decide which one means more to you.

Well said!! Growing up I had to go to Mass on Saturday afternoon if I wanted to go to the game on Sunday. Small sacrifice to make.

And I'm sure they would. But it's not the Jewish community complaining about the conflict in that article, it's the Jets complaining about the potential loss of revenue.

To which I say: screw 'em (the Jets, that is). Ain't the league's job to schedule around the religious needs of a portion of a team's fan base.

Well said!! Growing up I had to go to Mass on Saturday afternoon if I wanted to go to the game on Sunday. Small sacrifice to make.

I should probably note here that some other faiths do not have the option of rescheduling their obligations for convenience.

That said, I forget: did Sandy Koufax whine to the commissioner when the World Series conflicted with Yom Kippur, or did he merely choose to observe the holiday instead of pitching for the Dodgers that day?

Sorry for the inconvenience, Jets fans. You can commiserate with the Titans fans who have to decide whether or not to go to their game on Christmas Day.

I should probably note here that some other faiths do not have the option of rescheduling their obligations for convenience.

That said, I forget: did Sandy Koufax whine to the commissioner when the World Series conflicted with Yom Kippur, or did he merely choose to observe the holiday instead of pitching for the Dodgers that day?

Sorry for the inconvenience, Jets fans. You can commiserate with the Titans fans who have to decide whether or not to go to their game on Christmas Day.

He dint pitch.

but u new that

A Reform Rabbi was so compulsive a golfer that once, on Yom Kippur, he left the house early and went out for a quick nine holes by himself. An angel who happened to be looking on immediately notified his superiors that a grievous sin was being committed. On the sixth hole, God caused a mighty wind to take the ball directly from the tee to the cup — a miraculous shot.

The angel was horrified. "A hole in one!" he exclaimed, "You call this a punishment, Lord?!"

Answered God with a sly smile, "So who can he tell?"

To which I say: screw 'em (the Jets, that is). Ain't the league's job to schedule around the religious needs of a portion of a team's fan base.

Well...Buffalo threw a stink when their home schedule was heavy in the winter, saying its harder to sell tickets, so I can see where the Jets are coming from. In NYC, EVERYTHING gets planned around Jewish holidays, they're huge here.

Although teams are forced to play on Christmas, so I see the NFL's side of this as well. However there's nothing that says you can't go to a football game on Christmas, there are "rules" with the Jewish faith and their holidays that might not allow fans to attend. Maybe somebody of jewish faith on here can elaborate.

Well...Buffalo threw a stink when their home schedule was heavy in the winter, saying its harder to sell tickets, so I can see where the Jets are coming from. In NYC, EVERYTHING gets planned around Jewish holidays, they're huge here.

Although teams are forced to play on Christmas, so I see the NFL's side of this as well. However there's nothing that says you can't go to a football game on Christmas, there are "rules" with the Jewish faith and their holidays that might not allow fans to attend. Maybe somebody of jewish faith on here can elaborate.

There are Jewish fans in EVERY NFL city. Why is New York so special? Is it somehow more correct to have the Eagles play home on both of those dates instead?

DUH. NYC is the center of the universe...ask anyone who lives there.

Why ask the natives? Everyone knows it's a fact...

As for answering the question, the Jews aren't petitioning the NFL. They are telling the Jets that they won't attend the games, and Jets see dollars flowing out of the concession stands. It's not a big issue in other cities, because no other city has a higher population of Jews and no other team will likely have such a large crowd not attending. It's a Jets issue, not a Jewish issue.

DUH. NYC is the center of the universe...ask anyone who lives there.

No kidding. Actually, Philadelphia, which has a considerable Jewish population, has home games on both days as well. So does San Diego. SO DOES BUFFALO, and there are more than a few Jewish season ticket holders here. Where's the outrage? The OUTRAAAAAAAGE!

Look, New York, it really isn't just about you. The High Holidays fall during football season, and every year, fans of some teams are going to be faced with this. This year, one of those teams is the Jets. Chances are that it won't happen again for a while. Drop it.

The real problem is that by week 4, the Jets may be out of playoff contention, so these fans might be missing the best part of their season.

Why ask the natives? Everyone knows it's a fact...

As for answering the question, the Jews aren't petitioning the NFL. They are telling the Jets that they won't attend the games, and Jets see dollars flowing out of the concession stands. It's not a big issue in other cities, because no other city has a higher population of Jews and no other team will likely have such a large crowd not attending. It's a Jets issue, not a Jewish issue.

You think there's any chance those games aren't sellouts? Want to wager on it? The Jets won't lose a dime. But they're based in New York, so they'll B word up a storm.

A Reform Rabbi was so compulsive a golfer that once, on Yom Kippur, he left the house early and went out for a quick nine holes by himself. An angel who happened to be looking on immediately notified his superiors that a grievous sin was being committed. On the sixth hole, God caused a mighty wind to take the ball directly from the tee to the cup — a miraculous shot.

The angel was horrified. "A hole in one!" he exclaimed, "You call this a punishment, Lord?!"

Answered God with a sly smile, "So who can he tell?"

:thumbdown:

I agree so what if they miss those games there are still 6 others to chose from. It will suck though for Jewish season ticket holders

The only ticket holders in NYC are season ticket holders. There are no individual game tickets available, except for buying from a broker or individual season ticket holder. Still I think it's kind of stupid to be complaining about it. If you're truly devoted to your religion, you shouldn't be concerned with a religious holiday coinciding with a football game. If you're not devoted to your religion, put a sock in it.

There are Jewish fans in EVERY NFL city. Why is New York so special? Is it somehow more correct to have the Eagles play home on both of those dates instead?

There are jewish fans in every NFL city but their are more jewish people in the New York area than anywhere in the country. There are actually more Jews in the NYC area than in Israel! That is why it's a bigger deal in NY than elsewhere...

There is a difference between Yom Kippur and Rosh Hashannah and Christmas.. As BillsNYC said if you are religious you can't do anything on these days especially go to a game let along watch it.. If you celebrate Christmas there is nothing to stop you from going to a game for religious reasons...

Since Yom Kippur doesn't start until sundown on Sunday I bet the league will move the Sept. 27th game to 1pm. and they will be stuck with the Rosh Hashannah game.

That being said everyone needs to make their own choices... I'm Jewish but I hardly practice... I will be watching both Bills games that weekend and may even make the trip to buffalo for one of those games... Others would choose not too.

You think there's any chance those games aren't sellouts? Want to wager on it? The Jets won't lose a dime. But they're based in New York, so they'll B word up a storm.

Every game is sold out, but you can't sell food & drinks to people who don't show up.

There are as mny jews living in the NY tri-state area as there are in the entire rest of the country, I believe. So when you are talking about other cities, you are talking about a much smaller no. of fans, except for maybe Chicago.

We are not talking about one game either,but two- 25% of the regular season schedule.

With what the N.Y. teams charge for season tickets, these fans have a right to be upset. The teams and league should have been more sensitive.

And by the way, how about a little more sensitivity here? WE are all football fans at the end of the day, Jew and gentile alike.

Sheesh! :thumbdown:

There are as mny jews living in the NY tri-state area as there are in the entire rest of the country, I believe. So when you are talking about other cities, you are talking about a much smaller no. of fans, except for maybe Chicago.

We are not talking about one game either,but two- 25% of the regular season schedule.

With what the N.Y. teams charge for season tickets, these fans have a right to be upset. The teams and league should have been more sensitive.

And by the way, how about a little more sensitivity here? WE are all football fans at the end of the day, Jew and gentile alike.

Sheesh! :thumbdown:

Just to clarify: my comments are in no way anti-Semitic. I just wonder why New York has to be treated with kid gloves. Philadelphia has a huge Jewish population--larger than that of Chicago--but I don't hear complaints there.

I have no problem if they move a game to 1pm. But NYC already gets special handling from the NFL with respect to scheduling because two teams share a stadium (which wouldn't be allowed anywhere else, either, while we're at it).

I have no problem if they move a game to 1pm. But NYC already gets special handling from the NFL with respect to scheduling because two teams share a stadium (which wouldn't be allowed anywhere else, either, while we're at it).

NJ actually actually gets special treatment but I agree with your point.

it is no different than other religious holidays teams play games on.

The NJests are complaining about it because it is a home game but should have thought about it before agreeing to share stadium with team (NJiants) who have more influence with NFL.

NJ actually actually gets special treatment but I agree with your point.

it is no different than other religious holidays teams play games on.

It is different, people of Jewish faith will not be permitted to attend these games. Its not like Catholics who can go to 9am mass and then head over to Lot 1 having met their commitment. They are not permitted to WATCH THE GAMES ON TV, let alone go to a football game on those days, and its pretty strict unless you're not a practicing Jew.

Unless you live here you probably wouldn't be able to understand how influential the Jewish faith is in NYC.....I would liken it to no Polish people being able to attend the first two games in Buffalo nor watch on TV.

Its a PR nightmare for the Jets, and I'm sure they're getting an earful from their fans. I can't blame them for trying to get the games moved.

oh fricking well.. NFl has played on Christmas day .... religion has no business determining schedules. If you can't make it because of your beleifs that is an issue for you to deal with not the NFL

Not only do they play on Christmas Day, the play the vast majority of their games on SUNDAY.

The NFL and religion don't mix.