Who Would You Rather Have................................

H2o

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This ought to be a good debate. I would rather have Cutler because of the arm strength and ability alone. He makes mistakes at times, but what young QB doesn't? He reminds me of a young Brett Favre and would be the first legitimate franchise QB that we've had since Kelly. I don't think we can honestly say that Trent makes better decisions in game situations than Cutler. We know Cutler can play well in the Buffalo weather because he was good in Denver and would fit better with our #1, under contract for 5 more years, WR Lee Evans. I don't believe that Trent has a greater "upside" than Cutler. Just don't see it. That's just my 2 cents though.

Heres a good one, Trent or Peyton

Are you kidding? I dont think you understand just how much money we have to spend. The Skins just signed Albert, Hall, and Dock to total of almost 190 million dollars. They had 8 MILLION in cap room going into the off season. We had something like 37 million. We would sign everyone and their mother and still be well below the cap. We are not going to spend that 6.2 mil you would save on the cap hit, Ralph is going to take it to the grave.

Besides the salary cap you have to take into account:

The Bills were 27th in team revenue at $206 million.

The Washington Redskins where 1st at $327 million.

That means that Washington's team revenue is 159% of Buffalo's.

The Bills were 28th in operating income at $12.4 million.

The Redskins were 1st at $58.1 million.

I guess I should start a new post, I'm off topic.

That means that Washington's operating income is 468% of Buffalo's.

People who complain about the Bills not spending enough simply don't understand that it's about more than the salary cap.

I guess I should start a new post. I'm off topic.

I dont think thats true, losman will be in the league as a backup for many years just because he was a first round pick. it definately matters what position you are drafted in

Why does it matter? If JP is a back up from this time forward, he will be PAID as a back up. As the other poster said draft position has NO bearing on it.

Cutler has the better arm strength, but Edwards has the better accuracy. If you were to put Cutler in Buffalo's offense with Schonert calling plays, Cutler would have thrown way more INT's trying to force the ball to Evans.

Denver had way better receivers Eddie Royal and Brandon Marshall, Graham and Scheffler are better TE's,the better offensive line and most importantly the better head coach and offensive wizard in Mike Shanahan.

The only area where the Bills were way better then the Bronco's was the RB's, and the Bills didn't actually start using play action passing until the Cleveland game, nor did they ever try and mount a constant running attack. It seemed like all Schonert did was call shotgun pass plays.

I think Edwards would have looked great in Denver's offense with Shanahan installing the game plan

I dont think thats true, losman will be in the league as a backup for many years just because he was a first round pick. it definately matters what position you are drafted in

That's a different debate. If you are asking which QB you would rather have, as this topic is all about, it certainly doesn't matter when you were drafted.

I might be a homer but here are some stats...

Trent after 2 seasons (24 games)

643 Attempts

396 Completions

61.6%

4,329 Yards

6.7 Yards Per Attempt

18 TDs

18 INT

79.15 Rating

12 Wins - 12 Losses

Cutler after 2 seasons (21 games)

604 Attempts

378 Completions

62.6%

4498 Yards

7.4 Yards Per Attempt

28 TDs

19 INT

88.20 Rating

9 Wins - 12 Losses

The stats are VERY INTERESTING. The thing that stands out the most to me is that Cutler threw for 169 more yards and 10 more TD's in 3 less games than Trent. You guys can talk about our offensive scheme all you want, but Cutler gets the ball down the field more than Trent. Arm strength is a big factor in that. Cutler can rifle balls in there on throws that Trent can't make because the window would be closed before the ball got there. If the Broncos are shopping him why shouldn't we throw an offer out there? Maybe one that involves Trent going to Denver? Why not try?

Better offensive coaching too. And better weapons in Marshall, Royal, and Scheffler.

Cutler didn't have Royal until this season so he doesn't count. Denver has been a 1 man show at WR with Marshall the last couple of years before this one. Scheffler also didn't emerge until this season so he doesn't count either. I think his TE was Putzier the first 2 years.

Trent ,no doubt about it. Cutler and his smart azz attitude can go elsewhere. :thumbdown:

I like Trent, don't get me wrong... but I think Cutler is going to be one of the better QB's over the next decade. What you call a smart azz attitude, is what I call the good kind of cockey that I wish our players had more of. Even beyond that, his diabetes issues asside, I think Cutler is built to take a pounding... I think of Cutler as, poetentialy cuz he hasn't done it yet, a more talented version of Ben Roethlisberger.

The question doesn't ask us to consider other factors but in addition to the big difference in money, how about the fact that Cutler was taken 11th overall and Trent was taken 92nd overall?

I'm probably crazy but I'm a huge Trent fan....I'll take Trent. But to even have this debate is a compliment to Trent.

If you read carefully, the point I'm trying to make here is that to even pose the question is a tribute to Trent.

Cutler didn't have Royal until this season so he doesn't count. Denver has been a 1 man show at WR with Marshall the last couple of years before this one. Scheffler also didn't emerge until this season so he doesn't count either. I think his TE was Putzier the first 2 years.

He had Javon Walker in 2006 along with Rod Smith. Marshall was the #3 and the TE was Scheffler.

2007 Javon Walker was injurred most of the year. The leading recievers were Marshall, Stokely, and Scheffler.

For what it's worth... 6.2 million buys Brandon Marshall's and Scheffler's current salaries plus an extra million.

i've always wanted Cutler when he was available at the draft, i think he is a much better fit for Buffalo than Edwards. i have given Edwards the benefit of a doubt but i've never believed he was the one. my choice is Cutler (provided the coaches know how to work with him that is).

But seriously, is this even a conversation? Cutler is a top-five QB in this league (P. Manning, Brady, Cutler, Roethlisberger, Rivers), Edwards isn't even a top-ten QB (previous five plus E. Manning, Rodgers, Warner, Cassel (sad but true, at least at this moment), maybe Romo then maybe McNabb).

But seriously, is this even a conversation? Cutler is a top-five QB in this league (P. Manning, Brady, Cutler, Roethlisberger, Rivers), Edwards isn't even a top-ten QB (previous five plus E. Manning, Rodgers, Warner, Cassel (sad but true, at least at this moment), maybe Romo then maybe McNabb).

Cutler if you want a QB. Trent if you want poise and hair.

It's hard to say on this one when you Compare there surrounding cast around them As In Wideouts , I'm NOT DEFENDING Trent but you have to take that in account too ! But Denver had the better supporting cast around Jay then Trent had :thumbdown: And No TRUE Number #2 Wideout, But we all no if WhosYourMomma was here that might even it out a tad but right now Cutler definately has the Bigger Arm than Edwards. :lol:

I can't believe that you guys are comparing Trent straight up against Jay without taking other factors into consideration.

Like comparing Denver's, Mike Shanahan's offense vs Buffalo's, Turk Schonerts ...are you freaking kidding me!!!

With Denver you have an offensive genius running the west coast offense like it should be run,lets face it with a decent defense Denver is in the playoffs last season. Two super bowls and multiple playoffs under his belt, who would you rather play for, Denver or Buffalo?

The receiving corps, Schonert recently stated that the Bills don't have that receiver opposite Lee Evans, hence all the pass coverage goes against Evans and they take him away most of every game. So Edwards really has no viable deep down field options.

Whereas Brandon Marshall is like Plaxico Burris minus the handguns and is better receiver at this point, he is 6'4'' 230 and runs 4.4 40 ...are you freaking kidding me!!! Plus Denver has a player like Evans in Eddie Royal who is smaller and a burner. But Marshall is that receiver that all QB's dream of having.

Like I stated eariler, if you put Cutler in Buffalo's offensive scheme he would be horrid, Cutler throws way more interceptions trying to force passes to Evans when he isn't open. In the Bills offense Cutler would not be rated the way he is,no way would he be a top 5 QB.

You can't compare apples to toolboxes!!! Schonert is a tool, his first season as a offensive coordinator all he did was call shotgun passing plays, he was trained by someone most fans hated as a OC in Steve Fairchild. Running a system that has been dumped by every other team in the NFL. Martz was fired in St Louis,Fired in SF, Fired in Detroit, only the bills still run that crappy Martz offense.

I'm not a Trent Lover by any means, Cutler might be more effective in Buffalo due to his better arm strength in the latter part of the season, cutting through the rotten weather and wind. Still,he would throw way more INT's.

Didn't the Bills play the Broncos' last season? Which QB looked better for that game?

I can't believe that you guys are comparing Trent straight up against Jay without taking other factors into consideration.

Like comparing Denver's, Mike Shanahan's offense vs Buffalo's, Turk Schonerts ...are you freaking kidding me!!!

With Denver you have an offensive genius running the west coast offense like it should be run,lets face it with a decent defense Denver is in the playoffs last season. Two super bowls and multiple playoffs under his belt, who would you rather play for, Denver or Buffalo?

The receiving corps, Schonert recently stated that the Bills don't have that receiver opposite Lee Evans, hence all the pass coverage goes against Evans and they take him away most of every game. So Edwards really has no viable deep down field options.

Whereas Brandon Marshall is like Plaxico Burris minus the handguns and is better receiver at this point, he is 6'4'' 230 and runs 4.4 40 ...are you freaking kidding me!!! Plus Denver has a player like Evans in Eddie Royal who is smaller and a burner. But Marshall is that receiver that all QB's dream of having.

Like I stated eariler, if you put Cutler in Buffalo's offensive scheme he would be horrid, Cutler throws way more interceptions trying to force passes to Evans when he isn't open. In the Bills offense Cutler would not be rated the way he is,no way would he be a top 5 QB.

You can't compare apples to toolboxes!!! Schonert is a tool, his first season as a offensive coordinator all he did was call shotgun passing plays, he was trained by someone most fans hated as a OC in Steve Fairchild. Running a system that has been dumped by every other team in the NFL. Martz was fired in St Louis,Fired in SF, Fired in Detroit, only the bills still run that crappy Martz offense.

I'm not a Trent Lover by any means, Cutler might be more effective in Buffalo due to his better arm strength in the latter part of the season, cutting through the rotten weather and wind. Still,he would throw way more INT's.

Didn't the Bills play the Broncos' last season? Which QB looked better for that game?

Cutler!

The Bills won that game because of Freddy Jackson. :thumbdown:

Why all the fuss about Jay Cutler? What has he done in the league to warrant such accolades? Yes he has thrown for a lot of yards, but most of it was due to with having a great offensive mind (Mike Shanahan) and weapons around him. Has he ever won a playoff game? I'm sorry. He hasn't been to the playoffs. I wonder what Trent's career would be like if he had Cutler's opportunity. I personally would prefer Edwards over Cutler at this point. For one, Edwards isn't the primadonna Cutler is. Secondly, Cutler's performances toward the end of the season were not so great. Lastly, who knows how his bout with diabetes may effect the rest of his career.

Why all the fuss about Jay Cutler? What has he done in the league to warrant such accolades? Yes he has thrown for a lot of yards, but most of it was due to with having a great offensive mind (Mike Shanahan) and weapons around him. Has he ever won a playoff game? I'm sorry. He hasn't been to the playoffs. I wonder what Trent's career would be like if he had Cutler's opportunity. I personally would prefer Edwards over Cutler at this point. For one, Edwards isn't the primadonna Cutler is. Secondly, Cutler's performances toward the end of the season were not so great. Lastly, who knows how his bout with diabetes may effect the rest of his career.

Come on...how can anyone compare Edwards to Cutler and keep a straight face. You want to question what Cutler has done...well what has Trent done...NOTHING. He has only had more than 1 TD in a game 4 times his whole career. He has more turnovers than TD's in his career. 18TDs 18INTs and some lost fumbles...

By the way Cutler hasnt been to the playoffs because their defense cant stop a high school team, not because of Cutler...where we havent been to the playoffs because our QB play has been poor between JP and Trent.

In almsot 50% of his starts, Edwards has passed for less than 200 yards...but most importantly, he regressed last year, he wasnt improving, he was regressing and becoming gun shy.

Now, I hope Edwards turns it around, but if you are going to look at these two players, it is CLEAR Cutler has been the better player. Not to mention Cutler has a way better arm.

Everyone blames the OC...you do realize the OC designs the game plan AROUND the QB's abilities right? No one takes that into consideration when they rip our conservative game plan. I am not endorsing our OC, but too many excuses are made for Trent because of the OC. It was very interesting when we ran the ball 3 times straight to kick a long FG (which we missed and lost the game on). To me, that showed a lack of confidence in Trent to not turn the ball over as he had been struggling a lot in that game.

My answer is CUTLER!!!!!!!!!

All I know is if I thought I had a franchise qb I wouldn't even consider trading him. It's too hard to find a good qb in this league. Mcdaniels knows a thing or two about what it takes for a qb to be very successful, and the fact that he is entertaining trades speaks volume's. My guess is that he doesn't believe he is a leader, and that he makes too many boneheaded mistakes.

All I know is if I thought I had a franchise qb I wouldn't even consider trading him. It's too hard to find a good qb in this league. Mcdaniels knows a thing or two about what it takes for a qb to be very successful, and the fact that he is entertaining trades speaks volume's. My guess is that he doesn't believe he is a leader, and that he makes too many boneheaded mistakes.

He wanted Cassel...Cutler is going no where.

You want a clear indication...Cutler on the trading block will get back at least a first round pick, probably take a lot more than that and even read one site talking about 2 first round picks.

Edwards on the trading block would be lucky to net back a 2nd round pick, if that...

He wanted Cassel...Cutler is going no where.

Rumor is that they are still shopping him and that Detroit is in the cards. Plus he wants Cassel over Cutler, that all ready says it all.

Listen Alpha, we know you don't like Trent. We get it!! I know that you feel that you have to get the last word in, we know who you don't like.

It's pretty safe to say that the majority of the people here on this board feel that Cutler is better. At this point he has shown more.

I believe that by the time it's all said and done, Trent's career will be more remembered as a successful qb. That's my opinion.

Everyone blames the OC...you do realize the OC designs the game plan AROUND the QB's abilities right? No one takes that into consideration when they rip our conservative game plan.

/quote]

Really? I recall Buffalo calling numerous rollouts and naked bootlegs when Losman was quarterback. They really used his athletic abilities when he was here. Good try though Alphadawg.

Right on Magox!!

Anytime a new man comes to an organization, he wants to put his own STAMP on it. That is the reason he considered trading Cutler. Unless Trent plays LIGHTS OUT in 09 buying Dick another year, the next Bills regime will bring in a new QB to replace Trent.

Tell you this much....I'd much rather watch a game where our QB throws for 3 TDs and over 450 yards and we lose 38-35 than watch our QB throw for 100 yards, 0 TDs and we lose 10-0 at home against a division rival....

Cutler...HANDS DOWN. He reminds me of Kelly with the fire he shows sometimes.

Its funny, these two are at opposite ends of the spectrum to me. Edwards is gun shy, and Cutler takes too many risks. At this point in their careers I'm taking Cutler easily as Trent was just awful for most of last year, but at this point in his career, Cutler is far from the "franchise QB" some here are touting him as.

Tell you this much....I'd much rather watch a game where our QB throws for 3 TDs and over 450 yards and we lose 38-35 than watch our QB throw for 100 yards, 0 TDs and we lose 10-0 at home against a division rival....

Cutler...HANDS DOWN. He reminds me of Kelly with the fire he shows sometimes.

It has more to do with the offense Cutler was in at Denver then it does his overall ability, look what happened to Eli Manning and the NY giants offense once they lost Plaxico Burris. Without Brandon Marshall, and if put into the Bills offense of last year. Cutler throws 25 INTs.

Cutler 3 years in the NFL and in a dream passing offense with a top 5 great tall receiver and in a complex west coast offense

Edwards 2 years in the NFL and in one of the worst offenses in the NFL, with a rookie offensive coordinator

Jeez,tough choice