Lock Up Trent Now '

Gasjuggler

No way does Trent sign a contract yet. He's on the cusp of becoming a super star and the best is yet to come. It would be in the Bills best interest to sign him today but probably not in Trent's.

But if the Bills are sitting pretty in the standings in Week 12-13, that may be enough incentive for the them to make #5 very rich sooner rather than later.

I think its too early...he has been really good so far and I am personally very impressed and very excited. However, he has done a lot of it against low level defenses (SD is 30th in the league in pass D) and has only done it for 5 games. 5 games dont make a career and to lock a guy up based on potential can handicap a team if he doesnt continue to get better. Remember JP Losman had a great second half of the season that one year and looked like the kid was gonna keep improving...

So, I love what I see from Trent, but for us to sign him to a monster contract I want to see him both stay healthy for a season and put together a great season, not just a string of 5 games. If we lock him up now for what he is worth, he wont be happy in a few years if he excels. If we lock him up with a huge contract based on what we all see him potentially (potentially being the key word) becoming before he gets there, then we risk crippling the franchise if he doesnt develop.

So, I think this offseason will be the time to extend him once he has shown us a full body of work and just what he can do in the playoffs.

All in all, I do think this kid is going to be special with my only concern being his durability.

No way does Trent sign a contract yet. He's on the cusp of becoming a super star and the best is yet to come. It would be in the Bills best interest to sign him today but probably not in Trent's.

But if the Bills are sitting pretty in the standings in Week 12-13, that may be enough incentive for the them to make #5 very rich sooner rather than later.

Trent's agent would probably like to get him signed to a competitive contract. He's making about $400K this year. Another concussion or two this year or next (if he's not re-signed) or other injury could be devastating financially if he plays out his rookie deal much longer.

Why does everybody get so eager to pay out money before it is due.

Trent Edwards isn't going anywhere........and frankly I thought that Jason Peters played pretty darn well last night.....lets pay our players in a way that we can afford to keep them all rather then have to let some go in order to pay players that contracts are not due yet (Yes I know that Peters is also not due but we cannot afford for him to hold out again next offseason)

Guys we need to pay

- Peters

- Jackson

- Edwards

- MgGee?

let me fix that list for you

Edwards

Jackson

McGee

The guys who fixed the electrical problems yesterday

The waterboy

Anyone we can think of

Peters

Peters screwed the Oline by sitting out and he has given up TONS of big plays this year. he should give us money back for every sack he is responsible for

Edwards

Jackson

McGee

The waterboy

Anyone we can think of

Peters

Peters screwed the Oline by sitting out and he has given up TONS of big plays this year. he should give us money back for every sack he is responsible for

irish,

I am not happy that he sat out either....and yes it has taken him a while to get it together....but I thought he turned the corner last night. Great effort by Peters.

Trent Edwards isn't going anywhere........and frankly I thought that Jason Peters played pretty darn well last night.....lets pay our players in a way that we can afford to keep them all rather then have to let some go in order to pay players that contracts are not due yet (Yes I know that Peters is also not due but we cannot afford for him to hold out again next offseason)

Guys we need to pay

- Peters

- Jackson

- Edwards

- MgGee?

You pay your QB what your QB is due. Lets be realistic. Lets see how well the Bills do at the end of the season, and in the playoffs and them throw an incentive laden contract extension at him.

By far Trent is woth more than a bottom rate price tag.

I not too worried about getting Trent signed for an extension. As someone said above, elite QBs don't test the FA market. Eventually, he WILL get a ton of money. But, the urgency to extend him right now just isn't there. He isn't going anywhere, ever.

Now, I think we should sign Jackson to an extension BEFORE the end of the year. As I understand, Jackson is a RFA, therefore we have the right to match any offer. But,what is likely going to occur is that some lowly team, like Detroit or the Texans, is going to offer him a boat load of cash that we will not be able to match. So, if Jackson makes it to FA, he is likely gone. He is too valuable to our offense to let go.

I think Trent should be the priority not Perters.

Like a 10 year or lifetime contract.

What do you think? or am I all wet?

Trent ....how much is that guy worth in this league right now??? That guy is gonna be so damn rich...its hard to even imagine. I'm serious. 7 YRS 90 million...40 million guaranteed.

Edwards

Jackson

McGee

The waterboy

Anyone we can think of

Peters

I disagree. Next week we are in the heat at Miami. Before we shell out big $$$ I want to see how the waterboy performs there :lol:

Guys we need to pay

- Peters

- Jackson

- Edwards

- MgGee?

What about Greer and Wilson?

I not too worried about getting Trent signed for an extension. As someone said above, elite QBs don't test the FA market. Eventually, he WILL get a ton of money. But, the urgency to extend him right now just isn't there. He isn't going anywhere, ever.

Now, I think we should sign Jackson to an extension BEFORE the end of the year. As I understand, Jackson is a RFA, therefore we have the right to match any offer. But,what is likely going to occur is that some lowly team, like Detroit or the Texans, is going to offer him a boat load of cash that we will not be able to match. So, if Jackson makes it to FA, he is likely gone. He is too valuable to our offense to let go.

If Fred Jackson is an RFA (and as a caveat, i dont know if he is), then you tender him at the 1st round level. If someone offers him a boatload of cash to be a starter, let him walk and take the 1st in exchange.

So, I love what I see from Trent, but for us to sign him to a monster contract I want to see him both stay healthy for a season and put together a great season, not just a string of 5 games.

All in all, I do think this kid is going to be special with my only concern being his durability.

I agree with this, but I will add that in addition to staying healthy (which is actually less of a concern for me as you can clearly see the benefits of the added muscle he put on in the offseason), I want to see more of him playing in the elements. I know this will likely get some people cranky, but his performance in wind and rain last year should be a concern of some magnitude, large or small. Part of that was the playcalling and part of that was the line, but I still want to see him do his thing this year with the improved line and better play calling.

Like I said, I'm sure people will start getting on me about this, but he needs the full season under his belt -- particularly in the crappy weather -- before he gets any cash.

(Note: Look, I know Manning and Anderson sucked in the cold, too, but the difference is, they won.)

no. make him earn it each week. when the 'boys dealt for r. williams they gave him an extension right away and i thought "how dumb"-now he has nothing to prove/earn/try for besides, you know, winning-you tell me what is more important to today's playas-$ or the wins. it's $

I think Trent Edwards will have to be signed sooner, as opposed to later. The difference between him and players like Rivers, is that Rivers signed for a large rookie contract due to his draft position. Edwards is making very little, and could demand more. If he does, the bills will have no option other than showing him the money.

You realize this is the NFL and not the NHL, right? You keep your franchise Quarterback until he's too old and becomes unproductive. That's how it works. IMO this thread should become closed if for no reason other than because it is a non-debatable issue as to whether or not he will be signed, and the debate over when he will be signed is as meaningless as the yards Edwards throws in each of the five games he's won.

it would be wise to wait and see if he can perform in cold/rain/snow - i mean what if he is below average in these conditions like he was last year