Buffalo's next 4 games

Special K

One of the factors leading to the slow starts of the Bills in recent years has been the difficulty of their schedule(among other things, of course). This year that is certainly not the case.

Obviously, Jacksonville is not going to be an easy game, but its not out of the realm of possibility that the Bills can win that game.

The next three games are games where the Bills should have the advantage:

Oakland, probably the worst team in the NFL this year.

St. Louis, probably in the bottom five of worst teams in the NFL this year.

Arizona, a decent team that looked rather unimpressive vs. a sorry 49ers team.

These games are by no means locks, but if the Bills want to compete in a now wide open AFC East, they have to assert themselves in these games before the bye.

Dare I ask what are the odds we could see the Bills at 5-0 at the bye? 4-1? Or a more conservative 3-2?

One of the factors leading to the slow starts of the Bills in recent years has been the difficulty of their schedule(among other things, of course). This year that is certainly not the case.

Obviously, Jacksonville is not going to be an easy game, but its not out of the realm of possibility that the Bills can win that game.

These games are by no means locks, but if the Bills want to compete in a now wide open AFC East, they have to assert themselves in these games before the bye.

Dare I ask what are the odds we could see the Bills at 5-0 at the bye? 4-1? Or a more conservative 3-2?

Dont sleep on Arizona.They did play the 49ers and there d is much improved.Arizona has alot of weapons on offense,Fitzgerald,Bouldin,Breaston and a kid named Hightower.Jacksonville and Arizona are the toughest 2 games they have before the buy.Having said all that,i think well be 4-1 will a loss at Jax

St. Louis still scares me. I don't understand how their offense sucks that bad with Bulger, Steven Jackson, Tory Holt, Drew Bennett, Donnie Avery, and Randy McMichael. They have been sucking for a long time now, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them explode a couple of times.

3-2 needs to be the minimal with that schedule

You ask legit questions for us fans to dream about. However, the real key is that the players simply strap 'em on and take it one game at a time.

I like the Jax game the more I think about it. Its somewhat scary as Jax after the usual pre-season SB talks finds themselves facing he prospect of an 0-2 start with losses to two AFC teams. The season is far from over if they should happen but such a loss would be a very deep hole for them to climb out of. Jax early in the season will be playing with urgency.

However, though the Bills will be facing the extra penalty of playing on the road, the way the games went down yesterday will be an extra challenge for Jax. They will have to focus not on how to exploit the Bills but first on altering their own game play as a team to deal with a total failure of the OL. There will be an additional challenge to individual players as injury issues already are bedeviling the team.

Add to this that after they deal with their own problems, that SEA provided them with little clue on how to exploit the Bills. In fact, rather than exploiting the Bills weaknesses, they instead with have to focus their gameplanning in stopping an aggressive and sack successful Bills team as we attempt to replicate the Titans 7 sack game, how to stop a Bills O which was workmanlike but presented threats running, at TE, and even depth at WR.

Add to that they must gameplan for Parrish and also prepare themselves from Bobby April having an ability and willingness to pull rabbits out of his ST hat it will not be a fun week for Jax.

Before yesterday's game I believed that we need to win 3 of the 5 before the break to stay in the playoff hunt. Now it's very possible we win all 5 but I would certainly settle for 4. :rolleyes:

What is important is that we should win at least 6 of our home games and 4 of 6 of the divisional games.

I'm not so sure we need 11 wins to qualify for postseason now; 10 should do it.

I think 3-2 would mean the Bills are likely going to be on the outside looking in after Christmas. If Donte wants to follow-through on his guarantee, we NEED to be no worse than 4-1 at the break. That said, a win this Sunday "should" lead to a 5-0 start and total hysteria among bandwagoners, who have been without a ride for some time.

To get waaaaaay ahead of ourselves, wouldn't it be great to go into our MNF game with 7, 8 or even 9 wins? It is possible if the Bills are able to keep their level of play at or at least near this past Sunday's.

I'm the last person to really get out there and crow at the top of my lungs, but you might be right at 4-1. The switch I'd make, however, might indeed be Arizona for Jacksonville.

1) Jacksonville - Tuten Reyes is starting. Let THAT roll off your tongue. Tuten Reyes. There's a reason he's no longer with the Bills, and was last seen as a bank teller. And HE'S a NAME in that line. I don't want to know what the other guys were doing last year. That O-Line is going to get crushed this weekend, and the Bills' secondary is going to feast. If the Bills' offense plays like it did in the second half of Sunday's game, there's no way Jacksonville's going to keep up.

2) Arizona - Played SF pretty well this weekend. More to the point, however, is that this is the Bills' longest (geographically) road trip of the season. The schedule gods put all the Pacific teams in Orchard Park. The farthest West the Bills have to play is Phoenix. It's not as bad as coming East three time zones, but it's still a heckuva trip.

This all having been said, I'd take 4-1 with an NFC loss over 4-1 with an AFC loss any day of the week.

1) Jacksonville - Tuten Reyes is starting. Let THAT roll off your tongue. Tuten Reyes. There's a reason he's no longer with the Bills, and was last seen as a bank teller. And HE'S a NAME in that line. I don't want to know what the other guys were doing last year. That O-Line is going to get crushed this weekend, and the Bills' secondary is going to feast. If the Bills' offense plays like it did in the second half of Sunday's game, there's no way Jacksonville's going to keep up.

Right, but I don't know how much our offense will be able to do against a defense most expect to be one of the league's best, in their house. Whether Peters is in the lineup or not, I expect their defensive front to be able to hold the LOS and control Lynch and Jackson, meaning a lot falls onto Edwards' shoulders. This could be a low-scoring, ugly affair.

It should be a close game, and it should be a good one.

Right, but I don't know how much our offense will be able to do against a defense most expect to be one of the league's best, in their house. Whether Peters is in the lineup or not, I expect their defensive front to be able to hold the LOS and control Lynch and Jackson, meaning a lot falls onto Edwards' shoulders. This could be a low-scoring, ugly affair.

It should be a close game, and it should be a good one.

Kerry Collins and the Titans did alright against their defense last week, so... I'm not sweating it.

Kerry Collins and the Titans did alright against their defense last week, so... I'm not sweating it.

1. The Jags are more desperate for a win than they were last week.

2. That game was in Tennessee. This one's in their house.

3. Our quarterback has made 10 career starts.

4. We don't have a strong run blocking line.

I don't know if I'm 'sweating it' but I'm definitely preparing myself for a slow-moving, boring affair. Hopefully we can edge them out.

Not doubting you FISD but is this confirmed?

Vince Manuwai (starting LG) out for season (ACL)

Richard Collier (2nd string at both LT and RT) out (shooting)

Maurice Williams (starting RG) out indefinitely (ruptured biceps)

Brad Meester (starting C) was already out and will still not return for several weeks -- but at least his backup didn't get hurt Sunday

Our old friend Tutan Reyes will be asked to start, along with Uche Nwaneri, at the guard positions.

To say the Jags are thin on the OL is a gross understatement.

The Jacksonville game is going to be tough, no doubt. They are a well-coached, physical team. IF the Bills get the W, however, the next two weeks against Oakland and St. Louis do give them an opportunity to do something we haven't seen in these parts in God knows how long.

Oakland is BAD. St. Louis is TERRIBLE. Both of these teams will finish in the bottom five this season.

Go Bills. One game at a time.

Taking away a team's two starting guards goes way deeper than simply trying to replace the lost talent. Out the window is chemistry, timing and intricate blocking schemes that take the entire preseason, if not longer, to learn. Such a drastic rash of injuries will require the Jags to change their gameplan. This is a negative for Jax, but it also means the Bills will face something of an unknown attack.

But the inside blitz was very effective for the Bills this past Sunday. There probably isn't much Jax will be able to do stop that, other than roll Garrard out a lot and try a lot of screens. Don't forget they still have a banged up WR corps.

Vince Manuwai (starting LG) out for season (ACL)

Richard Collier (2nd string at both LT and RT) out (shooting)

Maurice Williams (starting RG) out indefinitely (ruptured biceps)

Brad Meester (starting C) was already out and will still not return for several weeks -- but at least his backup didn't get hurt Sunday

Our old friend Tutan Reyes will be asked to start, along with Uche Nwaneri, at the guard positions.

To say the Jags are thin on the OL is a gross understatement.

Thanks for this.

Now, picture the Bills with only Peters and Walker. Those guys are very good, better than the Jags starting tackles, but we would be looking to replace our entire middle. I cannot imagine how a team could do this.

I hope that Fewell assigns a player, perhaps a linebacker to Garrard, because one would think that he will be running for his life.

Thanks for this.

Now, picture the Bills with only Peters and Walker. Those guys are very good, better than the Jags starting tackles, but we would be looking to replace our entire middle. I cannot imagine how a team could do this.

I hope that Fewell assigns a player, perhaps a linebacker to Garrard, because one would think that he will be running for his life.

Bingo! Mitchell chasing Garrard all day long, with the "hit him as hard and often as possible" mindset in full swing, should equate into a very rough day for the Jags offense.

Bingo! Mitchell chasing Garrard all day long, with the "hit him as hard and often as possible" mindset in full swing, should equate into a very rough day for the Jags offense.

Yeah, you don't want him picking up long yardage, especially on 3rd downs.

Playing a good team on the road, in the heat is never easy. I hate being in the stands when it is too hot, and I don't weigh 300+ pounds. Yet, Stroud is used to it, and Schobel and Kelsay are speed guys who are not that big. With the middle of their OL definitely out as well as their backup OT, I cannot see how they will attack us other than qb draws/scrambles, and probably a few trick plays. We will see.

On offense, I really hope that Trent continues to grow, and gets enough time to make some big plays on the road. I think that most games boil down to line play, but this one really sticks out. Our OL needs to step up so we can score some points. If this happens, we really can win this one, and a 2-0 record would come with some strong possibilities. :rolleyes:

With this schedule we'd have to be embarassed NOT to get 10 + wins.

If Edwards plays smart, the Defense stays healthy and the "practically" new ST's play lights out for the 4th straight year we stand a god chance.

And some people here laughed at me in the spring when I thought the Bills would have 10 + wins

[Date & Time Favorite Line Underdog Total

9/14 1:00 ET At Kansas City -2.5 Oakland

9/14 1:00 ET Tennessee -1 At Cincinnati

9/14 1:00 ET Indianapolis Off At Minnesota

9/14 1:00 ET At Washington -1 New Orleans 43

9/14 1:00 ET Green Bay -1 At Detroit

9/14 1:00 ET At Carolina Off Chicago

9/14 1:00 ET NY Giants -8.5 At St. Louis 41.5

9/14 1:00 ET At Jacksonville -6 Buffalo 38

9/14 4:05 ET At Tampa Bay -9 Atlanta 38.5

9/14 4:05 ET At Seattle -9.5 San Francisco 39.5

9/14 4:15 ET At Arizona -7.5 Miami 39.5

9/14 4:15 ET At NY Jets -2.5 New England 37

9/14 4:15 ET At Houston -4.5 Baltimore 36.5

9/14 4:15 ET San Diego -3 At Denver

9/14 8:15 ET Pittsburgh -5.5 At Cleveland 45

Monday Night Football Line

9/15 8:35 ET At Dallas -7 Philadelphia 47

What would the spread be if every JAG was healthy?

I like the points and the under

Just my 2 cents

With this schedule we'd have to be embarassed NOT to get 10 + wins.

If Edwards plays smart, the Defense stays healthy and the "practically" new ST's play lights out for the 4th straight year we stand a god chance.

And some people here laughed at me in the spring when I thought the Bills would have 10 + wins

That's not why they laughed.

Addressing your first point, however -- the Bills haven't seen a 10-win season this decade. You would be wise to temper your enthusiasm, even if ever so slightly. Just as Tom Brady and both starting Jacksonville guards went down last week, so too could the Bills' hopes in the blink of an eye (or the tear of a ligament).

Don't prod the bear.

When the schedule first came out, I penciled the jville game as a sure loss but with their injuries & the way we looked sunday, I really think we have a chance to beat them. Either way, we should be 3-1 after the first month. The Arizona game will be another tough one.

Thanks for this.

BINYC's summary of their injuries was definitely helpful for visualizing this. Another way is to equate it to how the Bills would deal with this situation. We would be starting Whittle instead of Dockery, Preston instead of Fowler, and actually it would be so bad that our depth chart would require cloning Preston as he would be asked to replace Butler as well.

Waiver wire it is and it is not surprising that Garrard saw 7 sacks and the OL led them to 33 yards rushing despite having two talented RBs.

If the Bills play at the level they showed against Seattle, who is going to beat them? Really. 5-0 at the bye.

PTR

and just imagine if we improve on our week 1 performace....then we should be a tough team to beat. the bills r back!

I already predicted the Bills at 5-0 at the bye and got blasted....

Everyone said the JAGS game was an automatic loss!

Yea Right!

Seems to me some of you said the same thing about the Baltimore game last season (lol)

I already predicted the Bills at 5-0 at the bye and got blasted....

Everyone said the JAGS game was an automatic loss!

Yea Right!

So was Baltimore game last season!

I'm still waiting to see what teams will emerge as the teams to beat in the NFL this year, and so far none of the teams Buffalo plays have shown anything. But it is a long season, and who knows if the Bills will come out firing on all cylinders every game. And you can bet we won't be getting any more free TD's on fake field goals this year.

PTR

I'm still waiting to see what teams will emerge as the teams to beat in the NFL this year, and so far none of the teams Buffalo plays have shown anything. But it is a long season, and who knows if the Bills will come out firing on all cylinders every game. And you can bet we won't be getting any more free TD's on fake field goals this year.

PTR

It all seemed pretty obvious to me that the Bills were under rated.

We had some serious injuries last season and a rookie QB and still finished 7-9

The way I read that, the Jags will be missing three starting linemen and one backup.

You are correct; look for my post earlier in this thread. They are missing the starting RG, C, and LG, and the backup at both tackle spots.

You are correct; look for my post earlier in this thread. They are missing the starting RG, C, and LG, and the backup at both tackle spots.

Yep, and that is still huge. I think BillinNYC said it earlier, imagine if we were missing Dockery, Fowler, Butler and Chambers....no thanks! Our season would be over.

Dont look past Sunday..........

I cannot imagine anyone will. The Jags were a ton of people's Super Bowl pick this year. They still have very violent defense and formidable backs. But didn't you just start a thread about how Stroud is set to feast of Jacksonville?

After the injuries to the Jags, I'd say 5-0 at the bye week.

I am not able to see farther than one week ahead. I have had my heart stomped on too many times.

Even my daughter (Babyrock), after the Bills went up 34-10 looked at me and warned "Don't say it, Dad!"

I told her all I wanted to say was "Holy sh--" :censored::thumbsup: