1st Round Selection: CB Leodis McKelvin - Troy, 11th pick overall

SDS

With the WR options left, it would have been a disaster if the Bills would have reached for one at 11.

What a great young defensive backfield the Bills have ammased in such a short time. LBs and D-Line is on the rise.

I love it.

Let's get that WR!

GO Bills!

I think the AFC east personnel guys know what they're talking about when they say: "You can't have enough good corners"

I don't think you necessarily need lockdown corners, but you've got to have enough quality guys when you go to the nickel, which is usually on second down....

Nobody watches Troy & anyone who says they did is a liar.

I watched Troy dammit! I've seen McKelvin play! Of course, it as because they came to FSU to play my noles on 9/9/2006...:thumbsup:

And i say prod Mike from Fla a little more. He's on the verge of a B.Harami type meltdown. (probably pissed because we havent traded losman)

And for the record, i absolutely love the pick. We got the top CB in the draft, which will put greer back to nickel back where he's best suited. I love our pair of starting McCorners.

Awesome pick. Why are our DB's and defense in general held in such high regard here? The Defense last year was less than mediocre. Yeah, we had injuries, but they weren't going to scare anyone. The DE's are revered here too, and what did they do last year? This was by far the right pick. And even more obvious since Hardy WAS chosen in the 2nd round. 65% of starting CB's were first round draft picks. Only 25% of WR were first rounders? Great value. Thank goodness Modrak and Russ are running the show.

And for the record, i absolutely love the pick. We got the top CB in the draft, which will put greer back to nickel back where he's best suited. I love our pair of starting McCorners.

It's the Pot o' Gold defense. Just follow the Leprechauns to the End Zone.

My only concern is he really that much better than our current CB duo?

Mcgee, although good at making tackles, drops a lot of easy ints.

Greer is young and inexperienced, but played well for a first time starter.

I'd hate for this guy to come into camp, and really struggle to take over the starting CB spot. For an 11 pick, I'd be a little disappointed if he didn't quickly (before the season is over) take over our #1 CB spot.

I'll wait for the Hardy thread to post my concerns on him.

I'm just hoping that we didn't come away from day 1 with the best CB, who may be barely better than what we currently have, and the 2nd-3rd best WR who may not be much better than what we currently have (there are serious concerns about his routes and off the line abilities).

Being the best in your class doesn't mean much if you're in a weak class.

(Guess I didn't really wait for the Hardy thread :thumbsup: )

But they're Bills now, so here's to hoping they're as good as we hope.

McKelvin?

Its an OK pick. He's better than what the Bills have, no question, but given how conservatively the Bills always play their CBs, and the fact they never re-sign them, AND the fact that I've seen more dynamic passing attacks at the local high school, this isn't a pick I can get overly excited about. Hopefully they can find some help offensively later in this draft. I'm not that optimistic, unfortunately.

That's okay--as a first rounder, we can sign him for 6 and franchise him after that if he's worth it. Nothing to worry about there. Anyone else check out his individual game stats last year--on a mid-level team, he typically held his man to between 0 and 3 catches for minimal yards all year long against good competition (like Auburn and Florida). How is this not a great pick considering we got Hardy at 41?

The Newest Bill is CB Leodis McKlevin Troy.......i hope he does great in Buffalo but i will not be satisfied if we do not get Sweed,Hardy,or Kelly ahhhhhhhhhhhh

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're wish has been granted. I couldn't be happier. Now we need another big target who is a quick release for young Trent. Brad Cottam... :thumbsup::lol:;);):worthy:

For those that hate this pick... who else would you have taken at 11? I can only think of Albert as a real alternative. Seeing as how our starters on the Oline are pretty good, I can understand not placing as high a priority on Albert (although it wouldn't have upset me at all if we got him). So who else do you select? We got the WR we needed. So what's the big deal?

A reasonable pick, with Randy Moss in the division. And they can still get a wideout later. Not bad at all.

But as always, the later rounds are what really determines the success of a draft. Day 2 is going to be key.

Sorry, son. Aint no CB gonna slow down Brady, Moss and Co. It's called pressure up front. Just replay this past SB. The Giants beat the mighty Pats* with a very pedestrian secondary.

What I'm saying is you better hope Schobel, Denney and Kelsay do their best impression of Strahan, Umenyura and Tuck.

Personally, Don't like the pick.. Live with it...don't we all. Most of the hype with the kid is his return skills....Trading down and drafting the Rodgers-Cromartie kid would've been a better option, IMO.. He's tall 6'3 and just as fast. If the bills drafted a cb to shut down Moss this isn't the kid. I think Cromartie fits better in the cover 2. We definetely need a WR next so keep your fingers crossed.

Agreed.

The thing about DRC is that he has one kidney. I have not seen anything reported on whether McKelvin does.

For those that hate this pick... who else would you have taken at 11? I can only think of Albert as a real alternative. Seeing as how our starters on the Oline are pretty good, I can understand not placing as high a priority on Albert (although it wouldn't have upset me at all if we got him). So who else do you select? We got the WR we needed. So what's the big deal?

I agree with you on this.

When our turn finally came I thought the best picks for us were Albert or McElvin.

I don't see why any one would whine about our choice. Would they have been happy with Limas Sweed at #11?

According to our draft here at TBD that was the case.......yikes......

What he said. <_<

Does he start from Week One, and if so, who does he bump? I think he takes McGee's starting job.And instead of McKelvin racking up the highlight reels, we will see McGee a lot more returning KOs for TDs and punts, too.

I know this team had the 30th ranked defense.

I know this team has routinely taken CB's in the 1st round (Winfield, Clements, Whitner, McKelvin) and where has that got them???

Ohhhh yeah, no playoff appearences in 8 SEASONS

its not too hard to figure out, you need to take big bodies with your 1st round pick; O or D line

If this team want to effectively run the Cover 2, they need ot consistent pressure with their front 4. Ohhh yeah, the bills had only 26 sacks last season which was 2nd to last.

You sheep can keep gloating over this pick all you want

Maybe we can pick 5'9" corner with our 5th overall selection next season....

When they *had* two first round CBs starting for them, they had the #2 defense overall. Don't let facts get in the way of a good rant, however ...

I know this team had the 30th ranked defense.

I know this team has routinely taken CB's in the 1st round (Winfield, Clements, Whitner, McKelvin) and where has that got them???

Ohhhh yeah, no playoff appearences in 8 SEASONS

its not too hard to figure out, you need to take big bodies with your 1st round pick; O or D line

If this team want to effectively run the Cover 2, they need ot consistent pressure with their front 4. Ohhh yeah, the bills had only 26 sacks last season which was 2nd to last.

You sheep can keep gloating over this pick all you want

Maybe we can pick 5'9" corner with our 5th overall selection next season....

The currenr front office and coaching staff hasn't been here for those 8 years.

With Roscoe and McGee still on the team, I would rather McKelvin spend all his time learning CB rather than dealing with special teams right now. I don't think he would be that much of an improvement over either of our current starters that would level out the extra time he could spend looking at film and doing CB drills (Like learning how to catch interceptions... :beer: )