Marty Schottenheimer fired!

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think this is surprising, and I don't think this is a bad move. Living in San Diego we get the Marty soap-opera every day of the year. The issues between him and AJ were as bad as I've seen in pro sports, and I was very surprised he wasn't fired right after the NE loss. The reason clearly was having two exceptional coordinators and a 14-2 team with all the talent in the world, why rock the boat. But losing those two coordinators and needing to replace them meant that the coaching staff is going to have major turnover, so why not get rid of a problem area at the same time. If Wade had stayed Marty would have too, but replacing both coordinators getting a new HC is what made sense.

I think Martz would be the logical fit, but it is too early to tell. I don't think they can go with a rookie HC coming off 14-2 and with all their talent and expectations. They just need someone with experience winning to come in and not screw things up too much. Losing Wade and Cam were blows to the Chargers, but losing Marty will not be a negative.

I don't think this is surprising, and I don't think this is a bad move.

I think Martz would be the logical fit..

Wow... at least the team hasn't gone with a "we're going in a different direction" quote. There is but one from 14-2.

And are the Spanos the logical types ? Martz or Green are no more finishers than a goofball move like, oh say, Ditka or the reavailable Bobby Ross. Do they let Smith hand the thing over to Ted Cottrell ? What a mess.

I knew things were setup strangely in SD. But I didn't think it would happen this quickly!

They have no coaches there. Thier TE coach is the new OC of the Browns and their LB coach is the new DC of the Niners.

Too bad Rusty Jones didn't follow Wade and AJ to SD. He probably could have been named Schott's replacement.

Fassel will be their next HC. Rivera will get a sniff, but after his D's performance in the SupPar Bowl, I'd be surprised if they give him the job.

It seems like they will have to go for a top notch coach who can pull that ship together.

I mean they are coming off a 14-2 season!!

What proven winners are out there?

1.Cowher

2. Parcells

3. Vermeil

4. Johnson

5. Reeves

6. Levy

7. Martz (to some degree)

Anyone else?

1. Why do people think this guy still wants to coach? He JUST RETIRED.

2. See above.

3. Interesting thought; wouldn't shock me.

4. Leave cushy Fox job? I don't think so.

5. This is actually a legitimate possibility; he's been angling for another opportunity.

6. Marv won't screw Ralph by taking the GM job and then leaving a year later.

7. Possible.

I agree that SD can't bring in a nobody, because they have a team built to win now. Dennis Green is out there. This will be an interesting search.

This isn't surprising at all. He lost his top 2 assistants. With only a year left on his deal, he probably wasn't going to get any top flight assistants to replace what he lost. Plus, I think he is one of those locker room guys. Big speeches, lots of talk, but what has he ever won? I always think of him on the NFL films doing his "gleem" B.S. That stuff only goes so far.

No chance in hell Carroll leaves the cushy gig at USC to go back into pro ball. He's king of the hill at USC and at this juncture can do little wrong in the eyes of the school, where an NFL job is so messed up, they can give you a one-year extension, and fire you a month later just because.

Pete Carroll could be the guy.

Hard to believe the Chargers make this move without a wink-wink deal in place with someone.

And Carroll makes the most sense out of possible candidates.

too many cooincidences and circumstances line up to be dismissed outright

1. things WERE great at USC - until the Rggie Bush scandal hits and sanctions are imposed. The NCAA is noitorious for being more lenient if the gulity HC is no longer part of the program. USC may be pushing Pete out before all hell breaks loose in order to induce the NCAA to impose lighter sanctions.

2. Sarkasian mysteriously withdraws from getting a head coaching job in the NFL. a wink-wink whispser that he's the next USC HC this year would sway him from the RAider job.

3. Lane Kiffin, also gets the inside scoop that Sarkasion will be the next HC and bolts for the NFL.

4. firing Marty is delayed for 3 reasons

a. AJ keeps Marty off the market so he can't help any other NFL teams this year

b. AJ keeps marty from coaching this year to screw marty

c. Pete gets to lie to his recruits and gets their commitments while he is still HC at USC

5. Pete gets to stay on the West coast

Now- bring on those token minority candidates

I'm suprised no one has mentioned it because they clearly say it in the article, but I've got to believe that Rivera gets this HC position.

dont be too sure. Rivera doesnt run the 3-4, and the chargers have a nice little 3-4 D assambled out there in SD.

No....I think he would have kept Wade to be his coach.

I was thinking the same thing. Keeping the staff in place and just promoting Wade (who is clearing a "yes man" if he was willing to take the Cowboys gig) would have been the smart move.

I must laugh at anyone who suggests Denis Green. He will never, ever get a shot at becoming an HC of an established well run and stocked organization with big expectations.

He will only be considered for sad sack organizations on the road to nowhere. Or a college program or possibly some high school in Texas.

I also laugh at the people who blame AJ for this. AJ is the reason the team is where it is and he has had a problem with Marty for some time. Shame on AJ only for not having the stones to dump Marty last off season when he wanted to. Instead he thought it would be better for the team for him to put aside his issues with Marty because they felt they had a Superbowl team. Shame on AJ. He should have trusted his gut.

I don't know who will be the next HC, I assure you AJ is not a stupid man and it will not be Green.

Even though he says he done and likes his FOX gig, San Diego must be an alluring scene for

Jimmy sailor boy Johnson. He could come out of retirement, win a bowl real quick, sail off one of the nicest places to live in the country, and still get a quick laugh at Jone's expense.

Oh wait a minute, isn't that the way the Miami job played out? Minus the success?

Not that I'm all THAT old, but if I remember correctly the Senior bowl his senior year was held in Buffalo and he was so impressive at linebacker that the Bills drafted him. I think he played well, but he was in back of the best linebacker group that ever played for Buffalo, Jacobs Tracy and Stratton.

Wow...I guess winning isn't enough. I gotta admit though that given that his coaching staff kind of evaporated to bigger and better things it might have been time for a change...but firing the guy after a 14 win season is certainly surprising....Must have Pete Carrol or Dan Reeves (?) in mind to take over?

This isn't surprising at all. He lost his top 2 assistants. With only a year left on his deal, he probably wasn't going to get any top flight assistants to replace what he lost.

Amazing it took 52 posts before someone pointed out the most obvious problem with keeping Schottenheimer, after losing Cameron and Phillips...I can just picture Marty wanting to bring his sons and brothers in as OC/DC.

The more I read about AJ Smith, the more I am getting the impression that he is a pretty big !@#$. I respect him for his football knowledge (as does Spanos obviously), but he is an awful PR man.

Maybe getting rid of Schottenheimer, after a 14-2 season, will ultimately be a wise move, but it just seems that this guy does a piss-poor job of handling people. I can't help but thinking this doesn't hurt the Chargers chances of succeeding next year.

This is exactly the type of move that can cause a team to miss its window.....

.... or a good position for average to above-average coach to come in and win them a Superbowl (think Gruden with the Bucs after Dungy was let go). I for one am not surprised. Marty's pathetic post-season record had to catch up with him sometime. I don't care if people say the players did not play hard enough or whatever other excuse they can think of for the loss to NE. You have to seriously doubt the HC if his teams consistently underachieve in the post-season.

The coordinators may have left knowing MS was going to be fired. Wade landed himself a nice job which, had he waited for the MS firing, he may have lost out on.

Let me see if I understand something here...

Right after the Chargers handed the game to New England...all the talk was about how Marty chokes in the playoffs...he can never lead a team to a Super Bowl etc....but now, this move is SO bad for the Chargers...why?

Granted I question the way it was handled...but if Marty is nothing more then a great coach from Sept-Dec...how in the world could this be a bad move for the Chargers if their goal is to win the Super Bowl and Marty cannot get there in the first place?

Let me see if I understand something here...

Right after the Chargers handed the game to New England...all the talk was about how Marty chokes in the playoffs...he can never lead a team to a Super Bowl etc....but now, this move is SO bad for the Chargers...why?

Granted I question the way it was handled...but if Marty is nothing more then a great coach from Sept-Dec...how in the world could this be a bad move for the Chargers if their goal is to win the Super Bowl and Marty cannot get there in the first place?

The question is, who can the Chargers get as a HC who will be as good, much less better than (i.e. being able to win in the playoffs), at this late a stage, than Schottenheimer? Smith screwed the pooch and should have fired Schottenheimer AFTER he choked against the Pats, realizing that no matter how much talent Marty had, he'd always be a playoff choker, much less get a team to the SB and win it. And at that time, he would have had a lot more people from which to choose, namely Cameron and Phillips.

AJ screwed the pooch here. Be decisive and make your moves. Waiting around 'til mid February when he eventually lost both coordinators really hampers building a quality staff. Guess he learned this from his days with John "lead them along" Butler.

If it was up to AJ, Marty would have been fired last year. I am sure AJ wanted to walk into the lockeroom after the Patsies game and fire off a pink slip. Keeping Marty was all Spanos, and you get bet that AJ kept hammering Dean that all the good coaching was done by his asistants, and they were all gone now, why keep Marty?

If it was up to AJ, Marty would have been fired last year. I am sure AJ wanted to walk into the lockeroom after the Patsies game and fire off a pink slip. Keeping Marty was all Spanos, and you get bet that AJ kept hammering Dean that all the good coaching was done by his asistants, and they were all gone now, why keep Marty?

rumor has it old Ted Cottrall will be interviewed because of his past with AJ Smith

With alot of the assistants gone and both OC and DC gone is the perfect time to fire marty. Now the new HC can hire his own staff. Also it was Spanos who had enough of AJ and Marty fighting with each other and decided to fire Marty.

What is the talk in San Diego about who Spanos and Smith might hire?

rumor has it old Ted Cottrall will be interviewed because of his past with AJ Smith

Rumor has it that Cottrell was the final straw. AJ wanted Marty to interview Ted for the DC job. Marty says no, I want to hire my brother and that was that.

Also heard mention that the Chargers are pissed because Marty let two assistants leave to become coordinators. They (Spanos & Smith) didn't want to grant permission.

My darkhorse candidate...Vermeil.

If he was outta work...Marv

Marty has made millions by being fired by all the right people! :thumbsup:

Nobody touches Larry Brown in that department! In the course of 12 calander months, he was paid something like 70 million dollars not to coach the Pacers and the Knicks. Good work if you can't get it! :lol:

Nobody touches Larry Brown in that department! In the course of 12 calander months, he was paid something like 70 million dollars not to coach the Pacers and the Knicks. Good work if you can't get it! :thumbsup:

I believe it was the pistons and knicks

Furthermore, I agree that Mora Jr is a strong candidate in this situation. Guy was an average HC or so then ends up taking a job as like a secondary coach or something, doesnt sit right, even if it is in his home state.

Theres one more guy who nobody has mentioned(in part bc of how short-sighted the nfl is I think) and that guy is named Steve Mariucci

I believe, since Pete Carroll did interview (even if on his own vacation turf) for the Miami job, and because of the Reggie Bush situation, and the just revealed offer to another recruit to USC, that it is time for Pete to try the NFL again. I thought that he was above average coaching both the Patriots and the Jets, but did not have as good (coachable) a quarterback on either team as he had at USC each year he has been there.]

What about whomever was the OC for the Cowboys last year, he showed that hes capable of directing an offense that can attack you in a variety of ways. Unless it was just someone else coaching sean paytons offense

Also, what about Dick LeBeau as HC, he knows the 3-4 as good as anyone

What about whomever was the OC for the Cowboys last year, he showed that hes capable of directing an offense that can attack you in a variety of ways. Unless it was just someone else coaching sean paytons offense

Also, what about Dick LeBeau as HC, he knows the 3-4 as good as anyone

How about Charlie Weis i kno its unlikely but why not?