A Question To All TSW Posters

First,  Favre lost the game?!  Does anyone give our Defense credit for creating any of those turnovers or pressures? Or were they just out there walking around waiting for Favre, the almighty, to make a mistake?  I swear, its like our defense didn't do anything.  The only reason the Pack didn't score was because the Pack made mistakes. 

827453[/snapback]

Have you seen Favre play this year? I'm willing to believe it was the latter...

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our defense was responsible for the botched snaps?

827478[/snapback]

Perhaps Favre was changing the play because he saw the defense, the center didn't hear and snapped the ball early? Nope you're right. I'm sorry. I'll stop arguing. Favre gave us the win because he saw how bad we were and felt sorry for us.

I can't wait till we cut everyone next year. Think of the draft picks we can get, if Marv wakes up long enough to actually trade a few rather than just releasing them all.

Go Bills in the draft!

Your blind fanboy cheerleader crap is what's ridiculous. 

Just so we're consistent - when we killed the Jets statistically, we didn't lose the game right?  The Jets just won it with their top notch swiss cheese defense?

827493[/snapback]

Yes we lost it because the Jets beat us. I know its a shock, but the Jets are playing better than us.

I gotta say this is all just priceless. 

First,  Favre lost the game?!  Does anyone give our Defense credit for creating any of those turnovers or pressures? Or were they just out there walking around waiting for Favre, the almighty, to make a mistake?  I swear, its like our defense didn't do anything.  The only reason the Pack didn't score was because the Pack made mistakes. 

Sickening.  That's what that is.  I expect that kind of drivel from the national media, but not from supposed Bills fans.  Did any of you idiots bother to consider the fact that maybe our defense just played a good game for once? 

Second, JP badly under throws Evans on those 2 plays?!  Friggin insane!  How often do you see QBs throw the ball short and the reciever has to stop, adjust and catch the ball.  I'm not sure they're all designed that way; but I'd venture a guess that almost once every game by every team in the league a pass is thrown short and the receiver stops and gets the ball (or he stops and the DB runs into him and gets pass interference).  JP does this and OMG he sucks; he can't hit Evans in stride!    The ball hit Evans on the damn hands!  He should catch it period.  That miss is completely, 100% on Evans.  End of discussion.

On the touchdown pass, did any one else notice the guy rushing right up the middle, hitting JP as he throws the ball?!? He couldn't step into the throw at all.  I was surprised he got the ball off at all.  But, he did and actually hit a wide open Evans who walks in for the touchdown.  Yet, who cares, because the pass wasn't pretty.  Nevermind JP got laid on his ass immediately after the throw.

And this pass, is after a penalty.  8 minutes left in the game. The Pack has all the momentum, just scoring 10 points to tie the game.  We desparately needed a play, just 1 play - and we got it.  But, yet we all still want "the ball in the endzone".  News flash, it was a touchdown.  We all still want JP to lead a game winning drive in the 4th quarter.  Newsflash, that's what he did.  We all want the team to play a full 60 minutes.  Newsflash, they did - scoring 2 touchdowns in the 4th quarter to win the game. When was the last time, we got the ball and kneeled down to end the game?

I'm sorry, it's not that JP or anyone on the defense did anything good; rather the Packers let us win out of their kind generosity.

Do we need to improve? Absolutely!  Do we need a new fanbase? Absolutely.  Because I've never seen so many idiots complaining when they're seeing (1) exactly what they wanted to see and (2) what we all knew we were going to see back in August. 

The greatest joy I'll get from the rest of this season is seeing all the idiots here blow a gasket watching JP play, because guess what? JP's not going anywhere.  Listen to Jauron, JP is here for the time being.  So, you might as well suck it up for the long haul because it's going to get worse before it gets better.

Ridiculous, it is.

827453[/snapback]

BRAVO! Dan. :flirt:

Perhaps Favre was changing the play because he saw the defense, the center didn't hear and snapped the ball early?  Nope you're right.  I'm sorry. I'll stop arguing.  Favre gave us the win because he saw how bad we were and felt sorry for us. 

I can't wait till we cut everyone next year.  Think of the draft picks we can get, if Marv wakes up long enough to actually trade a few rather than just releasing them all. 

Go Bills in the draft!

827495[/snapback]

Yeah riiiiiiight, Favre was frightened of a defense that gave up 427 yards, surrrrre.

LOL!

827468[/snapback]

I'm half-joking, but half-serious. Before the Chicago game, I fooled myself into thinking the team could go out, play a good game, and at least make an interesting game of it. But that game was an illustration of how far the game needs to go to compete. For better or for worse, I'm looking at this season as an extended preseason. We need to determine if we need 1, 2, 3 or more players on the offensive line, and we need to find out if JP can get the job done. Frustratingly, to me he remains an enigma, but I'd prefer to continue handing out more rope for him to hang himself with rather than pulling the plug now and still leaving doubts.

If he continues on this Kyle Boller career path he's on, I won't object if the Bills opt to go a different direction in the offseason, but I think it would be foolish to take out a young QB who's playing poor-to-mediocre ball on a poor-to-mediocre team.

Okay, well why WEREN'T you looking for more offense? Someone else posted what QBs have done against the GB defense, and JP is at the bottom of the list. Do you really think we can hang with the Colts next week if we're throwing for 100 yards? Even if the defense plays well, you've got to score points.

I dunno...I'm just frustrated with this team right now....llike a lot of other folks.

827435[/snapback]

If you feel the Bills have any chance of winning in a shoot-out next week brace yourself for a long day. Only chance they have to beat the colts is by playing exactly the way they played yesterday.

No mistakes(turnovers) and oppurtune D. win the turnovers and make a couple of plays late in the game to pull out the win......just the way I see it, sorry. :flirt:

Grow up.

827520[/snapback]

Sickening. That's what that is. I expect that kind of drivel from the national media, but not from supposed Bills fans. Did any of you idiots bother to consider the fact that maybe our defense just played a good game for once?

Sorry I'll try harder to mix in some namecalling and question others' fandom next time....as long as I don't criticize the team I'm all growns up :flirt:

I love it how "we wont be any better next year" Ever hear of rookies getting better and developing? Teams play together and grow together. Its called game experience. Its amazing what a bit of cohesiveness can do, but no, that doesnt satisfy the hot pocket crowd.

Ramius is referring to the "get it quick" mentality of the recent era, long after those back to back 2-14 seasons, where you waited for the Sunday highlights until Cosell narrated them at halftime during MNF.

Hot Pockets Fans, some of you are.

Sorry I'll try harder to mix in some namecalling and question others' fandom next time....as long as I don't criticize the team I'm all growns up  :flirt:

827529[/snapback]

Look, I'm not saying the Bills played a great! game and deserve our unconditional praise. All I'm saying is that there were good plays made by Buffalo players (even JP). Yet no one wants to give credit for that. If some ESPN writer pens a piece talking about how bad Favre played and how he gave the game away. Wouldn't you be upset that he didn't even mention any of the good plays our defenders made? I would. And it especially upsets me when fans of this team don't acknowledge any of the good play.

I was wondering what the hell Green Bay was thinking when they decided to pass on 1st and goal from the 1 yard line. They had just ran it up our ass for about 50 yards prior to that Simpson pick at the goal line.

There is no way in hell we could've stopped Ahman Green from getting 1 yard...

I was wondering what the hell Green Bay was thinking when they decided to pass on 1st and goal from the 1 yard line. They had just ran it up our ass for about 50 yards prior to that Simpson pick at the goal line.

There is no way in hell we could've stopped Ahman Green from getting 1 yard...

827577[/snapback]

From what I gathered GB felt sorry for us :flirt:

Look, I'm not saying the Bills played a great! game and deserve our unconditional praise.  All I'm saying is that there were good plays made by Buffalo players (even JP).  Yet no one wants to give credit for that.  If some ESPN writer pens a piece talking about how bad Favre played and how he gave the game away.  Wouldn't you be upset that he didn't even mention any of the good plays our defenders made?  I would.  And it especially upsets me when fans of this team don't acknowledge any of the good play.

827561[/snapback]

I'm not going to say the defense didn't have its moments. There were a few drives where they completely stymied the Packers, Fletcher-Baker made a nice read on his int, and I think Clements played a very good game. But having said that, they gave up a lot of yards, and the turnovers were due in large part to GB miscues. The fumbled snaps in particular were completely unforced, one of which bailed out the D from a near-certain touchdown at the end of the first half. And Favre had no business attempting the throw that got picked in the end zone. I think it's fair to say that the primary story of the game is Favre giving the game away.

I gotta say this is all just priceless. 

Sickening.  That's what that is.  I expect that kind of drivel from the national media, but not from supposed Bills fans.  Did any of you idiots bother to consider the fact that maybe our defense just played a good game for once? 

Second, JP badly under throws Evans on those 2 plays?!  Friggin insane!  How often do you see QBs throw the ball short and the reciever has to stop, adjust and catch the ball.  I'm not sure they're all designed that way; but I'd venture a guess that almost once every game by every team in the league a pass is thrown short and the receiver stops and gets the ball (or he stops and the DB runs into him and gets pass interference).  JP does this and OMG he sucks; he can't hit Evans in stride!    The ball hit Evans on the damn hands!  He should catch it period.  That miss is completely, 100% on Evans.  End of discussion.

On the touchdown pass, did any one else notice the guy rushing right up the middle, hitting JP as he throws the ball?!? He couldn't step into the throw at all.  I was surprised he got the ball off at all.  But, he did and actually hit a wide open Evans who walks in for the touchdown.  Yet, who cares, because the pass wasn't pretty.  Nevermind JP got laid on his ass immediately after the throw.

And this pass, is after a penalty.  8 minutes left in the game. The Pack has all the momentum, just scoring 10 points to tie the game.  We desparately needed a play, just 1 play - and we got it.  But, yet we all still want "the ball in the endzone".  News flash, it was a touchdown.  We all still want JP to lead a game winning drive in the 4th quarter.  Newsflash, that's what he did.  We all want the team to play a full 60 minutes.  Newsflash, they did - scoring 2 touchdowns in the 4th quarter to win the game. When was the last time, we got the ball and kneeled down to end the game?

I'm sorry, it's not that JP or anyone on the defense did anything good; rather the Packers let us win out of their kind generosity.

Do we need to improve? Absolutely!  Do we need a new fanbase? Absolutely.  Because I've never seen so many idiots complaining when they're seeing (1) exactly what they wanted to see and (2) what we all knew we were going to see back in August. 

The greatest joy I'll get from the rest of this season is seeing all the idiots here blow a gasket watching JP play, because guess what? JP's not going anywhere.  Listen to Jauron, JP is here for the time being.  So, you might as well suck it up for the long haul because it's going to get worse before it gets better.

Ridiculous, it is.

827453[/snapback]

This makes far too much sense to be seen on this board.

If you feel the Bills have any chance of winning in a shoot-out next week brace yourself for a long day. Only chance they have to beat the colts is by playing exactly the way they played yesterday.

No mistakes(turnovers) and oppurtune D. win the turnovers and make a couple of plays late in the game to pull out the win......just the way I see it, sorry.  :flirt:

827519[/snapback]

Sure, I totally agree. The only way to beat the Colts is by playing top notch defense, but you sure as hell have to score points on top of that. They are going to score, regardless of how well we play on defense. I think it will take a few more than just a couple plays in the end of the game, man.

Is it too much to ask to win the game AND be entertained? It's very tough to watch a team go three and out all day and get sacked every time they drop back to pass.  You might win a game here and there under those circumstances, but you'll never contend for a Super Bowl.

827003[/snapback]

Almost worked for the Sabres during the Hasek years.

Look, I'm not saying the Bills played a great! game and deserve our unconditional praise.  All I'm saying is that there were good plays made by Buffalo players (even JP).  Yet no one wants to give credit for that.  If some ESPN writer pens a piece talking about how bad Favre played and how he gave the game away.  Wouldn't you be upset that he didn't even mention any of the good plays our defenders made?  I would.  And it especially upsets me when fans of this team don't acknowledge any of the good play.

827561[/snapback]

To each his own I guess. Until we make those plays vs. NE I'm going to remain unimpressed. I don't know what you were expecting on Sunday, but I expected a win vs. a bad NFC team at home because those are the games the Bills always win. I might add most of the ESPN haters picked us as well. Favre has been throwing games away like that for years - particularly on the road; not withstanding a couple good games in Detroit & Miami this year.

It's refreshing to see that I'm not the only one that some some positives yesterday.

Honestly, anyone that thought our offense was going to be on fire a week after completely overhauling the offensive line... well I don't know what to say.

Also, someone posted in another thread, we had a 10 point lead through much of the game. A point I hadn't considered. That could certainly explain the overly conservative approach much of the game.

Hopefully, the Bills can look good against the Colts, but reality often bites. Let's all just hope for more improvement.

Overall Mormon was the best Bills player yesterday...the guy is rediculous. Schobel was great, Fletch played a good game, Nate decided to show up and play well..the D was solid and so was the ST....

The offense was not going to get any better, regardless of how you shuffle the OL, the players are the same..I think the left side will be just fine and the right mix is there, CV needs to just go away....

The WRs....why can't these guys get open consistently

JP...

here is what concerns me, from Fairchild's own mouth (through Chris Brown who also shared his opinion...)

"I actually talked to Steve Fairchild about this very subject this week. He maintains the way to develop J.P. the fastest is to keep him in the pocket and force him to read defenses and only use his running ability as a last resort. I agree allowing a running QB to use his legs prematurely on a play stunts their growth in reading defenses because they don't hang in there long enough to watch things unfold.

I think that's why he is a slow reader right now, because his college coaches let him run around all over the place. As a result he saw less plays from the pocket and now is less experienced than players like Phillip Rivers who are forced to read defenses because they don't have the same mobility. Michael Vick only now is starting to read defenses effectively and he's in his fifth season.

I think Fairchild is committed to developing Losman's ability to read defenses knowing he's going to take his lumps. But I think he feels if J.P. is going to be successful at this level that he has to go through this process to understand and read defenses properly. If he doesn't he'll never get better and never be a consistent or effective QB. "

What really concerns me is that the coaches know that reading defenses is weakness of his...while I do agree that they need to get him to learn how to do this in order for him and the Bills to be successful in the long run; they are sticking with this mindset a little bit too long...here are my reasons for saying this:

It seems like the coaches are focusing on trying to increase his knowledge in a are ahe needs to improve, which is great, however, what they are not allowing him to do is to use his abilities that made him a 1st round draft choice...JP is not a true pocket passer, his game has always been running around and throwing the ball...there is no reason that for what 5-6 plays a game that you call plays that JP is comfortable with and allows him to play the game he has always played - roll him out and let him fly..some of his best throws and biggest successes are when he is out of the pocket...not to mention that it'll also keep opponent's Defense on their heels and honest, it will help the OL, it still force JP to stay in the pocket and read the defense throughout a majority of the game, but it will also allow him to be comfortable, play the game ina way is his comfortable and effective, and it'll take some of the "fan" pressure off of him by now starting to boo everytime they don't score a TD...JP looks uncomfortable period....now the chants for Nall or Hoclumb will be there...the coaches need to back off a bit to allow him to play comfortabley in his game, if he still can, to gain some confidence and get us fans off his back....

BTW, I thought that Sam Wyche, the great QB teacher, was supposed to have done this...

And to answer some other points in this post...as fans we are way over critical, but that's what happens when its the same thing year in and year out with this team...and yes everyone misses the K-gun and the great team we had

And that 12 teams have the same, or worse record than the Bills means squat. This team already won 50% more games in a season than the '84 & '85 disasters, but who's counting?

Waa waa, the QB played like crap, the OL didn't block, the coach is a natural loser.

But, Mrs. Jones, who won the game?

What does it matter? The QB looked like crap.

But aren't Bills getting better play from their defense, which was the primary goal of the offseason?

What does it matter? The RB will be playing in Miami next year. Waa waa.

How many games will the Bills win if they complete EIGHT passes per game?

It's not really anymore complicated than that.

826966[/snapback]

Wasn't there a Game against the Jets (@ Rich) back in the 1970's where the Bills completed ZERO passes and still WON the game?...

I think they had OJ for that game??...

:blink:

No I can't remember a time of so much gloom.

That being said. We get farther and farther away from the glory years and see more and more poor performance. Every year we buy into the rosy picture painted by "them" ( management, the press etc.} and we are again disapointed. we try to keep a good out-look but it is getting harder. It has been approx. 8 yrs that we have had a sub-par O-line. every year they try to put a bandaid on a bleeding wound.

I will continue to follow the BILLS but I need a little encouragement'

GO BILLS!

827414[/snapback]

Very well said. And its a shame that those who think like this are labeled as "bad fans" and as the "hot pocket crowd" of little patience. As if eight years of devotion before frustration sets in is not reasonable.

Is it not reasonable to expect this organization to finally show me something.....anything...before I invest thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours into them? Why is blind faith the only way to go?

If he continues on this Kyle Boller career path he's on, I won't object if the Bills opt to go a different direction in the offseason, but I think it would be foolish to take out a young QB who's playing poor-to-mediocre ball on a poor-to-mediocre team.

827515[/snapback]

You know, the Boller reference is probably a pretty good analogy. Losman has the tools to do the job, but he hasn't shown the ability to pull it together. Flashes? Yes, we get flashes (but fewer lately), but consistency is lacking. I am concerned for his future.

Hot Pockets Fans, some of you are.

827548[/snapback]

Some yes, all...no. I've been through the dark ages, and they weren't fun, but I still looked forward to Sunday. The despair that is creeping into my psyche is due to the fact that I'm beginning to feel that we'll be going through the same process with a QB in short order. The thought that we've wiffed again...

Overall Mormon was the best Bills player yesterday...the guy is rediculous. Schobel was great, Fletch played a good game, Nate decided to show up and play well..the D was solid and so was the ST....

The offense was not going to get any better, regardless of how you shuffle the OL, the players are the same..I think the left side will be just fine and the right mix is there, CV needs to just go away....

The WRs....why can't these guys get open consistently

JP...

here is what concerns me, from Fairchild's own mouth (through Chris Brown who also shared his opinion...)

"I actually talked to Steve Fairchild about this very subject this week. He maintains the way to develop J.P. the fastest is to keep him in the pocket and force him to read defenses and only use his running ability as a last resort. I agree allowing a running QB to use his legs prematurely on a play stunts their growth in reading defenses because they don't hang in there long enough to watch things unfold.

I think that's why he is a slow reader right now, because his college coaches let him run around all over the place. As a result he saw less plays from the pocket and now is less experienced than players like Phillip Rivers who are forced to read defenses because they don't have the same mobility. Michael Vick only now is starting to read defenses effectively and he's in his fifth season.

I think Fairchild is committed to developing Losman's ability to read defenses knowing he's going to take his lumps. But I think he feels if J.P. is going to be successful at this level that he has to go through this process to understand and read defenses properly. If he doesn't he'll never get better and never be a consistent or effective QB. "

What really concerns me is that the coaches know that reading defenses is weakness of his...while I do agree that they need to get him to learn how to do this in order for him and the Bills to be successful in the long run; they are sticking with this mindset a little bit too long...here are my reasons for saying this:

It seems like the coaches are focusing on trying to increase his knowledge in a are ahe needs to improve, which is great, however, what they are not allowing him to do is to use his abilities that made him a 1st round draft choice...JP is not a true pocket passer, his game has always been running around and throwing the ball...there is no reason that for what 5-6 plays a game that you call plays that JP is comfortable with and allows him to play the game he has always played - roll him out and let him fly..some of his best throws and biggest successes are when he is out of the pocket...not to mention that it'll also keep opponent's Defense on their heels and honest, it will help the OL,  it still force JP to stay in the pocket and read the defense throughout a majority of the game, but it will also allow him to be comfortable, play the game ina way is his comfortable and effective, and it'll take some of the "fan" pressure off of him by now starting to boo everytime they don't score a TD...JP looks uncomfortable period....now the chants for Nall or Hoclumb will be there...the coaches need to back off a bit to allow him to play comfortabley in his game, if he still can, to gain some confidence and get us fans off his back....

BTW, I thought that Sam Wyche, the great QB teacher, was supposed to have done this...

And to answer some other points in this post...as fans we are way over critical, but that's what happens when its the same thing year in and year out with this team...and yes everyone misses the K-gun and the great team we had

827662[/snapback]

Very good post, but you have to learn to walk before you can run. Once JP can read defenses effectively, it will make him an all around better QB. The roll outs will work that much better anticipating how the D will react. He will have a better grasp on when to run. i think the coaching staff is doing an excellent job in attempting to make JP a better QB, whether they accomplish that is yet to be determined. They are basically sacrificing some of the offensive production this year in an attempt to make JP into a top notch QB. I'll give them all the credit in the world for sticking with him and being patient, but it's a huge risk and it better pay off.

Very good post, but you have to learn to walk before you can run.  Once JP can read defenses effectively, it will make him an all around better QB.  The roll outs will work that much better anticipating how the D will react.  He will have a better grasp on when to run.  i think the coaching staff is doing an excellent job in attempting to make JP a better QB, whether they accomplish that is yet to be determined.  They are basically sacrificing some of the offensive production this year in an attempt to make JP into a top notch QB.  I'll give them all the credit in the world for sticking with him and being patient, but it's a huge risk and it better pay off.

828045[/snapback]

And that is the reason why I don't see the Bills getting rid of JP in the offseason and why they see something in him the average fan doesn't. The average fan watches the games and looks at the stats and says, we didn't score or he could complete passes and says he is a bust while the coaches look and say, he did exactly what we asked him to, stay in the pocket and look for plays.

Letting him go out there and play like he did in college is not going to mean success in the NFL. Look at Vick, JP is pretty much a Vick 2.0, a supposed cannon of an arm, and the ability to scramble and get away with his legs. Atlanta decided to just let Vick play his way and it didn't work. Yes he had great stats, but Atlanta was one dimensional, WR's were not being used and he was not getting the job done. Now they are starting to get him to settle down and try to make the throw first, then run only when needed and its starting to work out. Unfortunately for them, it took about 5 years to do this

Is it not reasonable to expect this organization to finally show me something.....anything...before I invest thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours into them? Why is blind faith the only way to go?

827958[/snapback]

If you do not go by blind faith, you are not a real fan remember? (Sarcasm Off)

First of all, anyone who had any high expectations for this Bills team this year was drinking way too much Kool-Aid. This team is lacking in leadership, especially on the O side of the ball. IMO the WR's need to be overhauled. Evans is a 1a-2 receiver...not a legitimate #1..if you get Evans another top threat, he would be even better.

Give JP the rest of the year, if things do not improve, lets go out and get a veteran QB who can get the job done, who can close out games, who can play with consistency, and also play without making the OC devise a playbook to make sure he does NOT make mistakes, rather a playbook that lets the Bills play to WIN.

I just get the stronger feeling every day that, at this time next year, JP will still be the QB and will not look any better. The OL will have 1 or 2 new scrubs that no other team wants & still suck, and the Pollyannas will still be saying that it's not JP's fault, just give him time.

It's like the movie Groundhog Day. :w00t:

827080[/snapback]

Welcome to the Club......

The Bills, or any team, would win probably 9-10 games if they got 100 yards, 50+% passing, 1 TD and no turnovers from their quarterback.

827105[/snapback]

Provided that that team has the '85 Bears defense......

But aren't Bills getting better play from their defense, which was the primary goal of the offseason?

827799[/snapback]

The offseason is history. Wasn't the primary goal of the *season* to develop a competent NFL QB?

JDG

Fine then - what do your eyes tell you about how well he has played?

828378[/snapback]

You do know it's a bit difficult to play QB with human turnstiles as passblockers. Don't you? But somehow it's all JP fault and his detractors will continue to say "well yes the pass blocking does suck but...". This constant ragging on JP like the offense problems are just his fault have become ridiculous.

Can anybody remember this much gloom after a Bills victory? My memory is admittedly cloudy and not what it used to be, but I just can't recall this type of reaction after a win for the Buffalo Bills.

The only explanation that comes to mind is that JP was SO bad, that his dismal performance caused concern for his future as an NFL quarterback, and even the short term future of the franchise in terms of reaching the playoffs.

What's up?  :w00t:

826956[/snapback]

Here's my theory. People who whine and complain the most are the ones who don't remember when this team really sucked, bad. Take a look at the 80's. I remember how bad we sucked obviously these people don't. Some of us have seen the lowest of lows in this team 20+ years ago and some haven't. This team is bad but not as bad as then.