A Question To All TSW Posters

Can anybody remember this much gloom after a Bills victory? My memory is admittedly cloudy and not what it used to be, but I just can't recall this type of reaction after a win for the Buffalo Bills.

The only explanation that comes to mind is that JP was SO bad, that his dismal performance caused concern for his future as an NFL quarterback, and even the short term future of the franchise in terms of reaching the playoffs.

What's up? ;)

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anybody remember this much gloom after a Bills victory? My memory is admittedly cloudy and not what it used to be, but I just can't recall this type of reaction after a win for the Buffalo Bills.

The only explanation that comes to mind is that JP was SO bad, that his dismal performance caused concern for his future as an NFL quarterback, and even the short term future of the franchise in terms of reaching the playoffs.

What's up?  ;)

826956[/snapback]

How many games will the Bills win if they complete EIGHT passes per game?

It's not really anymore complicated than that.

The gloom is there because people realize the Bills cannot bank on getting 4 huge turnovers to none each week. Our offensive stats for the season are so bad i can't remember a Bills team that averaged less than 250 yds per game. That is horrible.

I do not want to see Holcomb but it's a lock even his noodly arm would produce more yardage.

How many games will the Bills win if they complete EIGHT passes per game?

It's not really anymore complicated than that.

826966[/snapback]

They only made 15 attempts so completing 8 isn't horrible.

I must say I can't believe the doom and gloom around here, especially after a win, and one that they scored more then 20 points in.

It just reinforces my theory that Bills fans will never be happy with what the Bills do

What's up?  ;)

826956[/snapback]

I can. Back in the RJ/DF days. "The Bills won with the wrong guy at QB. Life sucks."

What's up?  ;)

826956[/snapback]

People need to look beyond the stats, and I think that's what the majority are doing. Our QB was inept, and our backup, journeyman RB looked better than anything we have seen from WM all year. That's what is discouraging.

Having been here in those days I can recall the endless qb debates, but not the despair after a Bills win.

Again, maybe it's me.

826985[/snapback]

Nope, not just you. I have never seen the droves of people lining up on the bridge like after this game. Most posters just need ot get a grip.

Hell, we got a win. We are 3-5, which is better than 2-6. The Bills won, so maybe this is just me, but i cant be terribly upset.

WE GOT A FUGGIN VICTORY.

I think that despite the win, the team looked worse this week than they did against the Patriots. In fact, they seem to get worse every week. By the end of the season, they will probably be playing flag football.

What's up?  ;)

826956[/snapback]

Totally agree. I can't personally remember feeling so bad after a win.

Is it too much to ask to win the game AND be entertained? It's very tough to watch a team go three and out all day and get sacked every time they drop back to pass. You might win a game here and there under those circumstances, but you'll never contend for a Super Bowl.

Having been here in those days I can recall the endless qb debates, but not the despair after a Bills win.

Again, maybe it's me.

826985[/snapback]

You might be right...but I do remember this level of despair after Flutie stunk it up against Baltimore, for example.

Since then...it's been a long, slow slide down into football retardia...

What's up?  ;)

826956[/snapback]

I remember coming to the board before we had user names in 1996, and in 1997 we were pretty bad. But I think you are right, there wasn't this much gloom back then. I think we getting tired of losing. That's all there is too it.

A win is a win, and certainly warrants some satisfaction. On the other hand this was a weak win against a weak team and the offense really did not put on much of a show. The defense played better, but allowed LOTS of completions. Now, if we should defeat INDY..this board will light up like the fourth of July!!!

I think the fans in Buffalo are smart and we know when a team is ready to bust out and head in the right direction. This team just isn't good. The D and special teams are actually competent imo. I realize we could use a big D tackle to stuff the middle and some maturity in the secondary. The O is awful and JP looks woefully overmatched. The penalties are a joke and the O-line is a revolving door of players.

As for Flutie, he may not have had 63% completion % but he was a gamer and had several 225+ yd passing days and a few 300 yarders with good TD to INT ratio.

Now, if we should defeat INDY..this board will light up like the fourth of July!!!

827011[/snapback]

I agree with you 100%. I can pretty much guarantee that if we beat Indy next week everyone on here for the most part is going to be happier then a pig in shite. I know I will.

I think that being discouraged due to the fact the Bills continued to look offensively inept against one of the worst defenses in the league, coming off a bye in good weather is acceptable.

QB's vs. GB

Grossman- 262 1 Td/ 1 int

Brees - 353 2 Td / 1 int

Kitna- 342 2 TD/1 Int

McNabb 288 2 TD

Bulger 220 2 TD

Harrington 414 2 TD / 3 Int

Leinart 157 1TD / 1 Int

Losman 102 1TD

I've can not remember ever having been so frustrated with team that won by 1, much less 14.

Can anybody remember this much gloom after a Bills victory?

826956[/snapback]

"Every time a door closes, a window opens".

The 0 for 10 years vs. MIA topped today's angst... ;)

Getting knocked off by KC in '66 was not nice, too...although they were out-matched. That KC club was one good team.. :doh:

we've seen enough bad football teams in the past 5 years to recognize one instantly. it was nice of favre (and brad johnson) to come here and play so god-awful with the game on the line, but i don't think anyone was fooled into thinking there is much hope for this crew.

I think that being discouraged due to the fact the Bills continued to look offensively inept against one of the worst defenses in the league, coming off a bye in good weather is acceptable. 

QB's vs. GB

Brees - 353 2 Td / 1 int

Kitna- 342 2 TD/1 Int

McNabb 288 2 TD

Bulger 220 2 TD

Leinart 157 1TD / 1 Int

Losman 102 1TD

I've can not remember ever having been so frustrated with team that won by 1, much less 14.

827025[/snapback]

I think that the stats above answered my question. I pay less attention to qbs than almost any football fan, but JP was so bad it was scary. ;)

What's up?  ;)

826956[/snapback]

I'm glad you've pointed this out. Some Bills fan simply won't be happy until they can A) clone Jim Kelly, B) clone Tom Brady or C) clone Payton Manning. I get the sense that they feel that every other NFL offense has a HOF QB and is scoring points like a pinball machine. They can't get the image of the k-gun offense out of their minds. They have no patience of watching young players find their way on a rebuilding team. Speaking of rebuilding, I don't think they've accepted the Bills as a young rebuilding team. They simply don't realize that this offense can hit their stride at any moment. It takes time to find the right combination of players, the right plays and the confidence that comes with success. It's the last one that's the trickiest and the thing that some miserable people here are not willing to wait on any longer.

I enjoyed yesterdays game bigtime. Believe it or not, I even saw some promising things on offense! A running game, no turnovers, a huge timely big play that answered the opposing teams huge big play. If this line can ever learn to pass protect I think this offense will hit their stride in a big way the second half of the season.

You might be right...but I do remember this level of despair after Flutie stunk it up against Baltimore, for example. 

Since then...it's been a long, slow slide down into football retardia...

827004[/snapback]

Are you talking about the game he won at the very end with the pass to Linton?

I do not want to see Holcomb but it's a lock even his noodly arm would produce more yardage.

826970[/snapback]

Somehow I just don't see Holcomb making that 43-yard TD pass to Evans - I envision something more like a 2 or 3 yard slant from KH!

But I am ecstatic that the Bills won! Makes Monday much more pleasant just about everywhere - except TSW! ;)

QB's vs. GB

Brees - 353 2 Td / 1 int

Kitna- 342 2 TD/1 Int

McNabb 288 2 TD

Bulger 220 2 TD

Leinart 157 1TD / 1 Int

Losman 102 1TD

827025[/snapback]

You have four of the hottest QBs in the NFL this season on that list (Grossman, Brees, McNabb, and Bulger) and a guy who passed 63 times to get 414 yards (Harrington).

63 TIMES!!

Hell, McNabb (#1), Bulger (#2), Brees (#4), and Kitna (#5) are 4/5ths of the top five leaders in passing yardage.

Lienart completed 14 of 35 passes (40%) against this defense. That's about 4 yards an attempt. He was also sacked four times.

The passing game yesterday was bad, but these stats are totally skewed.

What's up?  ;)

826956[/snapback]

I just get the stronger feeling every day that, at this time next year, JP will still be the QB and will not look any better. The OL will have 1 or 2 new scrubs that no other team wants & still suck, and the Pollyannas will still be saying that it's not JP's fault, just give him time.

It's like the movie Groundhog Day. :doh:

You have four of the hottest QBs in the NFL this season on that list (Grossman, Brees, McNabb, and Bulger) and a guy who passed 63 times to get 414 yards (Harrington).

63 TIMES!!

Hell, McNabb (#1), Bulger (#2), Brees (#4), and Kitna (#5) are 4/5ths of the top five leaders in passing yardage.

Lienart completed 14 of 35 passes (40%) against this defense. That's about 4 yards an attempt. He was also sacked four times.

The passing game yesterday was bad, but these stats are totally skewed.

827061[/snapback]

They're not skewed, they're every QB that has played the Packers this season. Skewed would be me leaving someone out to help prove my point. I didn't do that...it's just the facts.

They're not skewed, they're every QB that has played the Packers this season.  Skewed would be me leaving someone out to help prove my point.  I didn't do that...it's just the facts.

827081[/snapback]

You didn't leave anyone out but you certainly left out some of the context. It is "lying" through omission. Harrington completed the same % of his passes for almost the exact same yards per attempt. Lienart completed a much lower percentage of his passes with a much lower yards per attempt. Both had turnovers. Both were sacked four times. The rest of the QBs are some of the best performers in the league this year.

I didn't mean it as a personal attack (that is why I put lying in quotation marks) but you cherry picked some stats that certainly do not paint the whole picture about Green Bay's pass defense.

The Bills, or any team, would win probably 9-10 games if they got 100 yards, 50+% passing, 1 TD and no turnovers from their quarterback.

827105[/snapback]

great insight. There is a spot for you in the MNF booth next to Joe Theisman.

The Bills, or any team, would win probably 9-10 games if they got 100 yards, 50+% passing, 1 TD and no turnovers from their quarterback.

827105[/snapback]

I dunno about that...it took some big defensive and special teams plays to get the scenerio to play out in our favor yesterday. Moormans leg was about to fall off he was punting so much. You need to have a good balance on offense, but if you throw for 100 yards every game, there will be all 11 guys in the box.

...but if you throw for 100 yards every game, there will be all 11 guys in the box.

827117[/snapback]

But he did and there weren't. Which would you rather have, 200 yards and two turnovers? I wouldn't. If you don't turn it over and you score at least a TD through the air you will usually win.

But he did and there weren't. Which would you rather have, 200 yards and two turnovers? I wouldn't. If you don't turn it over and you score at least a TD through the air you will usually win.

827118[/snapback]

That is assuming that the other team turns the ball over and your defense can prevent them from scoring.

827118[/snapback]

I agree with you on the total importance of playing mistake free football and getting a score through the air, I just think you need your QB to make more plays than what Losman has been making to consistently get in the win column. You are putting a trememdous strain on your defense to keep the other team locked down with no margin for error when you have this type of production.

827118[/snapback]

Particularly with Dick Jauron as your coach.

Yesterday was a perfect example of Jauron-ball. Protect the football, keep the opponent out of the end zone, and get turnovers. It'll win games, but it's not the most thrilling football on the planet...

...which is part of the problem here. If it isn't the K-Gun, it's sh-- to most younger Bills fans, it seems.

I agree with you on the total importance of playing mistake free football and getting a score through the air, I just think you need your QB to make more plays than what Losman has been making to consistently get in the win column.  You are putting a trememdous strain on your defense to keep the other team locked down with no margin for error when you have this type of production.

827122[/snapback]

I was at the game. He played like crap. But you had to see the whole game to see the problems, and he wasn't the worst player out there. You can win a lot of games without turning the ball over. Which QB had the better game, Losman or Favre? He only threw 6 incompletions. He only through 3-4 bad passes. At least two of the five sacks were on 3rd and long where he was holding the ball looking for a receiver and there was NO ONE open and then he got sacked. If he just through the ball away we would be punting anyway. He was just looking to make a play. The first pass to Evans just sucked and he MUST make that play but he didn't. He threw another terrible pass in the endzone that could have been a score but it looked worse than it was. The receivers SUCKED this game. The line sucked pass blocking. The coaches refuse to let him run or roll him out. And he make a couple bad throws. But he didn't turn it over, he threw the one great scoring pass and we won. And we would win a lot more if he only does that. he needs to do a lot more, he needs to be way better. He had a pretty bad game and yet his bad game won it in the 4th quarter.

Particularly with Dick Jauron as your coach.

Yesterday was a perfect example of Jauron-ball.  Protect the football, keep the opponent out of the end zone, and get turnovers.  It'll win games, but it's not the most thrilling football on the planet...

827129[/snapback]

For the record, the opponent did a better job of keeping themselves out of the end zone than we did. I have a bad feeling that Jauron-ball only works if the team you are playing is crappier than you.

For the record, the opponent did a better job of keeping themselves out of the end zone than we did. I have a bad feeling that Jauron-ball only works if the team you are playing is crappier than you.

827134[/snapback]

That's because the Bills got the turnovers. Jauron-ball works if the opponent coughs it up more than you do.

Which is pretty much synonymous to "the team you are playing is crapper than you", of course...