One reason why I think Losman will be good

The biggest problem most fans had with him last year was his accuracy. I contended that it was because he was nervous or jittery rather than inaccurate. And that when he had more experience and he wasn't so emotional that his ability would take over.

He didn't have a great game today but he was decent, if not good. He didn't make any mistakes that hurt him. In three of four games he has no turnovers, although the TOs in the Jests game cost us the game. But his accuracy this season, and this game in particular, has been very good if not excellent. That is glaring progress, and gives me hope that other elements of his game that he wasn't showing will show soon. Some of those balls today, most of them in fact, were on a rope right to our guys, even when he was rushed. For the most part, he has been very accurate this entire season. Those who say he still throws some bad passes at times are correct, but they are not watching other QBs, including the very best, who throw 2-4 bad passes a game, too.

The biggest problem most fans had with him last year was his accuracy. I contended that it was because he was nervous or jittery rather than inaccurate. And that when he had more experience and he wasn't so emotional that his ability would take over.

He didn't have a great game today but he was decent, of not good. He didn't make any mistakes that hurt him. In three of four games he has no turnovers, although the TOs in the Jests game cost us the game. But his accuracy this season, and this game in particular, has been very good if not excellent. That is glaring progress, and gives me hope that other elements of his game that he wasn't showing will show soon. Some of those balls today, most of them in fact, were on a rope right to our guys, even when he was rushed. For the most part, he has been very accurate this entire season. Those who say he still throws some bad passes at times are correct, but they are not watching other QBs, including the very best, who throw 2-4 bad passes a game, too.

792293[/snapback]

Losman's accuracy is certainly up from where it was last season by *any* measure.

I do notice, however, that our game plan seems very reliant upon WR screens and swing passes, though - almost unusually so. That certainly is helping Losman's apparent accuracy, beyond the improvements he has made from last season. He still, however, sometimes makes me completely shake my head. For example, on the Peerless Price touchdown - that pass should be so routine, it almost seems inexcusable to throw it that badly. A play like that doesn't outweigh the other good things he did today, but it does point towards things that Losman still needs to improve before we can truly call him a "good" NFL QB.

JDG

Losman's accuracy is certainly up from where it was last season by *any* measure.

I do notice, however, that our game plan seems very reliant upon WR screens and swing passes, though - almost unusually so.  That certainly is helping Losman's apparent accuracy, beyond the improvements he has made from last season.  He still, however, sometimes makes me completely shake my head.  For example, on the Peerless Price touchdown - that pass should be so routine, it almost seems inexcusable to throw it that badly.  A play like that doesn't outweigh the other good things he did today, but it does point towards things that Losman still needs to improve before we can truly call him a "good" NFL QB.

JDG

792304[/snapback]

he's got to learn to throw screens and swing passes to the RB a little better, but other than that he's been great, and anyone who says that a swing pass or an effective screen pass is an easy or routine throw has most definitely never played QB at a competitive level ever.

he's got to learn to throw screens and swing passes to the RB a little better, but other than that he's been great, and anyone who says that a swing pass or an effective screen pass is an easy or routine throw has most definitely never played QB at a competitive level ever.

792308[/snapback]

Watching those passes today (screens and swings) he was letting up on the fastball alot, compared to previous weeks. Can tell he's listening to his coaches and they are installing certain plays to "ease" the game for him. It's refreshing to watch JP progress little by little each week. This kid has a friggen GUN for an arm. I'm smiling just imagining the possibilities this year and years to come. <_<

792308[/snapback]

An excellent point. Even a QB with a great arm like Drew Bledsoe has never been able to master the screen pass....

792308[/snapback]

I love how the response is not - "Yes, Losman made a terrible throw that had no business resulting in a TD, but should have set up 3rd and Goal from the 8 in a game we ultimately only won by 4 points" and instead the reaction is "How dare you criticize Losman in any way, you obviously know nothing about football."

JDG

I love how the response is not - "Yes, Losman made a terrible throw that had no business resulting in a TD, but should have set up 3rd and Goal from the 8 in a game we ultimately only won by 4 points" and instead the reaction is "How dare you criticize Losman in any way, you obviously know nothing about football."

JDG

792446[/snapback]

We just have your number. That's all. B-)

I do notice, however, that our game plan seems very reliant upon WR screens and swing passes, though - almost unusually so. That certainly is helping Losman's apparent accuracy....blah blah blah....

have you watched much of the NFL the last 4-5 years? B-) I'm quite certain that we don't run those types of plays much more than any other team...see Brady, dink, dunk...dude you have an agenda.

JDG

792446[/snapback]

You really should take a deep breadth and sit back for a while. Please, pull up your posts and give them a read one after the other. Your gripes are getting more and more assinine by the week.

Paint me a picture of your ultimate QB. Bettter yet, put a name to him. If you could have one wish who would QB the Bills? Pick a player from any era to place behind center today.

792293[/snapback]

That is exactly the disaster plan that one would chose to bring up a QB. Mularkey chose that, abandoned the run and put all the pressure on his young QB to deliver and divided the locker room where there was no backing for the QB.

What happened in the past cannot be changed...I am glad Losman has been able

to elevate his game and gain the confidence and respect of his teammates.

Honestly, the only thing worse than JDG's Monday posts are the fact that people actually respond to them.  Please, for the love of my ignore filter, STOP IT.

792575[/snapback]

JDG just can't admit that JP is the future of the Bills.

Each week I watch him play, the more and more I'm seeing the makings of a great QB. I only wish that Jauron would let that arm go nuts once in a while. Remember that 50 yarder he threw against the wind? I'd like to see him throw a 60+ ball into the hands of Evans.

He didn't have a great game today but he was decent, if not good. He didn't make any mistakes that hurt him. In three of four games he has no turnovers, although the TOs in the Jests game cost us the game. But his accuracy this season, and this game in particular, has been very good if not excellent. That is glaring progress, and gives me hope that other elements of his game that he wasn't showing will show soon. Some of those balls today, most of them in fact, were on a rope right to our guys, even when he was rushed. For the most part, he has been very accurate this entire season. Those who say he still throws some bad passes at times are correct, but they are not watching other QBs, including the very best, who throw 2-4 bad passes a game, too.

792293[/snapback]

Watching him last season, I certainly thought he didn't have the accuracy to stick in the NFL. So maybe you're right about the nerves/jittery thing. Like JDG, this season I've questioned his ability to make the short "touch" passes. However, those are the passes he still looks like he's rushing or "jittery." Hopefully, as the game continues to "slow down" for him, he'll get better at those as well.

With regard to the Bills' throwing a lot of quick passes to their WRs (or WR screens,) I think it's a great way to utilize the talent they have at WR. It appears they made an extra effort to get Evans the ball yesterday, and he almost always made the first defender miss on those quick passes.

JDG just can't admit that JP is the future of the Bills.

Each week I watch him play, the more and more I'm seeing the makings of a great QB.  I only wish that Jauron would let that arm go nuts once in a while.  Remember that 50 yarder he threw against the wind?  I'd like to see him throw a 60+ ball into the hands of Evans.

792599[/snapback]

Are JDG and Holcomb's Arm the same person? I watched the game last night on Tivo and was very impressed with the kid.

Its fun to watch the Bills again.

You really should take a deep breadth and sit back for a while.  Please, pull up your posts and give them a read one after the other.  Your gripes are getting more and more assinine by the week. 

Paint me a picture of your ultimate QB.  Bettter yet, put a name to him.  If you could have one wish who would QB the Bills?  Pick a player from any era to place behind center today.

792571[/snapback]

His name would be: DaJohnjim FavraKellway

JDG

792446[/snapback]

I love how you take a great play made by peerless price, and somehoe manage to focus and dig to find the slightest thing you can bash losman for.

Sure it wasnt a great pass. But, you know what? It was completed for a TD. Are you trying to tell me that no other WB has ever thrown a bad pass where a good play was made by the WR for a TD?

Oh thats right, you and HA wont give losman credit for that, because the WR did a lot fo the work, and it "almost was incomplete".

Watching him last season, I certainly thought he didn't have the accuracy to stick in the NFL.  So maybe you're right about the nerves/jittery thing.  Like JDG, this season I've questioned his ability to make the short "touch" passes.  However, those are the passes he still looks like he's rushing or "jittery."  Hopefully, as the game continues to "slow down" for him, he'll get better at those as well. 

With regard to the Bills' throwing a lot of quick passes to their WRs (or WR screens,) I think it's a great way to utilize the talent they have at WR.  It appears they made an extra effort to get Evans the ball yesterday, and he almost always made the first defender miss on those quick passes.

792605[/snapback]

You clearly have a deep visceral hatred of JP Losman....

You really should take a deep breadth and sit back for a while.  Please, pull up your posts and give them a read one after the other.  Your gripes are getting more and more assinine by the week. 

Which gripes are those? That his accuracy is much improved? That his mistakes are no longer outweighing the good things he is doing?

Paint me a picture of your ultimate QB.  Bettter yet, put a name to him.  If you could have one wish who would QB the Bills?  Pick a player from any era to place behind center today.

792571[/snapback]

That's easy. Peyton Manning.

JDG

I do notice, however, that our game plan seems very reliant upon WR screens and swing passes, though - almost unusually so.  That certainly is helping Losman's apparent accuracy, beyond the improvements he has made from last season.  He still, however, sometimes makes me completely shake my head.  For example, on the Peerless Price touchdown - that pass should be so routine, it almost seems inexcusable to throw it that badly.  A play like that doesn't outweigh the other good things he did today, but it does point towards things that Losman still needs to improve before we can truly call him a "good" NFL QB.

JDG

792304[/snapback]

I think that is by design, partly but not entirely because JP is a young QB. They are generally speaking a high percentage pass. If you thought they've done a lot of screens until now, wait until they face Chicago's defense. With their speed, Buffalo will not be able to run wide or pass deep much. Until Chicago slows down I think the screen pass is going to be Buffalo's bread and butter next week.

Which gripes are those?  That his accuracy is much improved?  That his mistakes are no longer outweighing the good things he is doing?

That's easy.  Peyton Manning.

JDG

792659[/snapback]

Super Bowl appearances/Wins: Peyton Manning 0/0, Tom Brady 3/3.

Manning's not even the best QB of his generation.

Time to update the Losman-Meter, isn't it?

I think that is by design, partly but not entirely because JP is a young QB.  They are generally speaking a high percentage pass.  If you thought they've done a lot of screens until now, wait until they face Chicago's defense.  With their speed, Buffalo will not be able to run wide or pass deep much.  Until Chicago slows down I think the screen pass is going to be Buffalo's bread and butter next week.

792756[/snapback]

To me there are numerous reasons why they throw a lot of screens as well as why they are working. In no particular order, they are:

1] To get the QB some confidence and moving forward.

2] To get the ball in Parrish's hands as much as they can because he can explode.

3] Because Parrish, Evans, Reed and Peerless are all very good running with the ball after the catch.

4] To relieve some pressure off the young and inexperienced and still geling OL.

5] To take advantage of some of Fairchild's unique abilities in designing plays.

6] To take advantage of Losman's ability to move quickly and avoid pressure (some of these plays are designed like more conventional screens where DLs are let through counting on the QB to be able to backpedal and release the ball just beyond the onrushing DL.

7] To mess a little with the defense so it cannot just concentrate on stopping Willis. These are in lieu of some wide running plays and somewhat distort the Bills run/pass ratio. It looks to be passing a little too much but a lot of these plays are more like running plays, like the Pats used to do. It's just smart football.

Super Bowl appearances/Wins: Peyton Manning 0/0, Tom Brady 3/3.

Manning's not even the best QB of his generation.

792761[/snapback]

I guess that everyone can rate QB's however they want....

To me there are numerous reasons why they throw a lot of screens as well as why they are working. In no particular order, they are:

1] To get the QB some confidence and moving forward.

2] To get the ball in Parrish's hands as much as they can because he can explode.

3] Because Parrish, Evans, Reed and Peerless are all very good running with the ball after the catch.

4] To relieve some pressure off the young and inexperienced and still geling OL.

5] To take advantage of some of Fairchild's unique abilities in designing plays.

6] To take advantage of Losman's ability to move quickly and avoid pressure (some of these plays are designed like more conventional screens where DLs are let through counting on the QB to be able to backpedal and release the ball just beyond the onrushing DL.

7] To mess a little with the defense so it cannot just concentrate on stopping Willis. These are in lieu of some wide running plays and somewhat distort the Bills run/pass ratio. It looks to be passing a little too much but a lot of these plays are more like running plays, like the Pats used to do. It's just smart football.

792765[/snapback]

I would add, to force the CBs to play tighter, which would open up the deep ball.

For example, on the Peerless Price touchdown - that pass should be so routine, it almost seems inexcusable to throw it that

792304[/snapback]

To be sure, that was not a greatly thrown ball. However, if the ball is properly thrown, Peerless is probably tackled. The defender was right there and it seemed to me the only reason Price got by him was because he was down on the ground. Then many of the defensive players let up for a second, thinking he may have been down by contact.

So, not a great pass, but great effort by price led to a touchdown. Had the pass been thrown properly, the entire dynamic of the play changes and we likely don't score. All in all, I'll take the poor pass on that play and the touch down.

I'm not saying all passes should be poor, or that JP even gets a good job on that play. All I'm saying is that the game is more than just one player. Sometimes a good receiver can make a QB look better. That play exemplifies that fact.

But, after all is said and done, we're nit picking one pass. Can you honestly say JP didn't look like an NFL QB yesterday? He's progressed so little that we should draft a new QB?

But, after all is said and done, we're nit picking one pass.  Can you honestly say JP didn't look like an NFL QB yesterday?  He's progressed so little that we should draft a new QB?

792809[/snapback]

I must have missed the posts where somebody was saying that JP Losman did not look like an NFL QB yesterday and that we should draft a new QB in the first round this year.... Maybe you could link to them for me? I'd be very interested to see them....

As for myself, I know that my post actually emphasized how much he has progressed since last season....

While it is nit-picking one pass, that pass is emblematic of what over the last couple weeks has been the biggest weakness in JP Losman's game - the still too frequent pass to an open receiver thrown into the dirt, along with the lack of touch he showed on his implosion on the last drive against the Jets. As I have noted many times, however, it is certainly a major improvement that we are no longer talking about his sub-.500 completion percentage or sub 6.00 Yards Per Attempt. He has made great strides, and is a much better QB than we saw last year.

Unfortunately, unless I annoit JP Losman as the second-coming of Tom Brady (Peyton Manning apparently not being good enough), and bow down before his altar of glory, people will just remain absolutely convinced that I somehow hate Losman, and that I know nothing about football. Go figure...

JDG

I must have missed the posts where somebody was saying that JP Losman did not look like an NFL QB yesterday and that we should draft a new QB in the first round this year....  Maybe you could link to them for me?  I'd be very interested to see them....

As for myself, I know that my post actually emphasized how much he has progressed since last season....

While it is nit-picking one pass, that pass is emblematic of what over the last couple weeks has been the biggest weakness in JP Losman's game - the still too frequent pass to an open receiver thrown into the dirt, along with the lack of touch he showed on his implosion on the last drive against the Jets.  As I have noted many times, however, it is certainly a major improvement that we are no longer talking about his sub-.500 completion percentage or sub 6.00 Yards Per Attempt.  He has made great strides, and is a much better QB than we saw last year. 

Unfortunately, unless I annoit JP Losman as the second-coming of Tom Brady (Peyton Manning apparently not being good enough), and bow down before his altar of glory, people will just remain absolutely convinced that I somehow hate Losman, and that I know nothing about football.  Go figure...

JDG

792917[/snapback]

Ok, perhaps I've extrapolated from you comments. Those exact words have not been written by your hand. For implying you did, I apologize. However...

You have yet to say a single postive thing about JP without qualifying it. Lets take the original post here, as an example.

JDG

792304[/snapback]

First, you acknowledge that his accuracy has increased, but then immediately follow it to say, it's because of WR screens and screen passes, which the Bills do so "almost unusually". It's these type of back handed compliments that lead everyone to suggest you have a crusade against JP.

I think everyone would agree that JP has a long way to go, but would it be so terrible to just say... JP played a good game yesterday. I saw HA do it in a post yesterday. And I commend him for that. That's all there is to it, a simple job well done. JP is not the best, but he's certainly not the worst either. I think, in fact, many statistical categories this year would put him in the "good" category. That's not to say he doesn't have a long way to go, but again... he played a "good" game yesterday.. and it seems that cannot be said (by some) unless its followed up by a ..but. Look at all other starting QBs yesterday; JP played on par with most of them. And in the end, the Bills won because of it. I think that deserves a compliment without reservation. For at least one week.

I don't suggest you annoint the next Brady. But to read your posts, you seem to think the Bills would be better off without him. So, lets cut to the chase. We both agree JP needs to improve. I think he is showing weekly improvement, and is unquestionably te starter for the rest of this year and at least another 2-3 years. Would you agree with that? (Borrowing some collosal collapse of course).