Round 3 (#70) Selection: CB Ashton Youboty

SDS

First pick that's been remotely good value.

Too bad he can't block Jason Taylor.

Is there any way to strike a deal with the NCAA where we annually forfeit our first 4 rounds, and just take the entire Ohio State defensive backfield?

Ashton Youboty/CB/Ohio State

Height: 5'11"

Weight: 189

40 Time: 4.43

Vertical Jump: 36"

DOB: 7/7/1984

Interested Teams: Chicago Bears, Washington Redskins

Projected Round: 2nd

Strengths: Youboty is a tall, lean cornerback with excellent speed and overall athletic ability. He has the speed to stay with faster receivers and recover quickly. Displays solid footwork and changes directions quickly. Is a strong, technically sound tackler for a cornerback. Can deliver hard hits and wraps up quickly, allowing him to miss few tackles. Is quick in pursuit and shows good burst and closing speed, which could potentially make him valuable in run support, provided that he develops better strength. Has the raw talent to become a shut-down corner along with his height and athleticism.

Weaknesses: Youboty is a very inconsistent defender whose biggest weakness is giving up big plays. Despite having good speed, he has a tendency to get beat deep because at times he is a bit slow to react on plays or too aggressive. Does not have a great amount of experience and will take some time to develop. Needs to become a more consistent player. Shows signs of stardom at times but then is prone to making mistakes at other times. Has the height but needs to add some bulk. Lacks the strength to be a physical corner and will struggle against some of the bigger, stronger receivers in the NFL. Has very little experience playing man coverage.

Overall: Youboty has some potential and is certainly a talented cornerback, but he may have made a mistake by leaving Ohio State early. He still needs some time to develop better consistency and stop giving up deep passes. He has good height for the NFL, but he needs to develop some strength so he can get ready for more physical play at the next level. Has proven his athletic ability with great speed and quickness, but he is appears to be a work-in-progress who will take some time to fully develop into a consistent shut-down corner.

Reminds you of: Chris Gamble, Carolina Panthers

Courtesy of NFl Draft Almanac.com who ranks him as the 7th best CB.

Steal in the 3rd, a month ago most thought he'd go before Whitner.

676458[/snapback]

Um....is that GOOD? lol

No offensive players picked yet. The guy that i really wanted with this pick that was taken before we picked was Tapp. Guy took it to the house against D'Brick in the senior bowl.

Since he was gone, i wanted either Pope or Jean-Giles, but since we didn't get them, Marv better pray that the defense dominates within the next two years.

Just out of curiousity how can you use the guru rankings to defend a pick now and say they don't know what they're talking about with the first few picks?

676491[/snapback]

I'm just quoting for the sake of those who live and die by such rankings. If you want to hate him, be my guest.

PTR

I had Youboty above Gordon and Minter at CB, and best in RD#3.

I thought we'd wait on a CB until Day 2.

Surprised that this isn't an OT, though.

Jon Scott still on the board at OT, and Max Jean-Gilles at OG.

Good VALUE pick.  Yeah, I think this is a guy who could be very good in a year or two.

676515[/snapback]

I dig it. I think it may spell the end of the road for Mr. Clements, though :o

Just out of curiousity how can you use the guru rankings to defend a pick now and say they don't know what they're talking about with the first few picks?

676491[/snapback]

Excellent point. Anything goes when you're in homer mode though. :blink::o:D

Scouts Inc. Analysis

Strengths: Possesses ideal height, adequate bulk and the frame to get bigger. Is a smooth and fluid athlete for his size. Possesses good top-end speed. He has long arms and good leaping ability to challenge for the ball in the air. He is intelligent and should be able to learn from his mistakes. He plays aggressively in run support. Fills hard, takes decent angles and has developed into a solid open field tackler. Shows playmaking instincts when the ball is in the air and he has outstanding ball skills. He has experience returning punts and shows NFL upside in that capacity.

Weaknesses: Recognition skills are below average. Remains too inconsistent in coverage. Gambles too often and will give up too many big plays consequently. He gives away his tendencies and got burnt for it on several occasions as a junior in 2005 (see Minnesota and Texas games). Lacks ideal bulk and strength. Will have some more trouble taking on bigger blockers and taking down bigger runners in the NFL.

Overall: Youboty enrolled during the winter quarter in 2002. He played as a reserve defensive back in all 13 games of his true freshman season in 2003. Youboty started nine of the 12 games that he played as a sophomore in 2004 and finished with 61 tackles, four interceptions and 14 passes broken up. Youboty started all 12 games as a junior in 2005 and finished with 56 tackles, six TFL, one sack, one interception and nine PBU. Youboty is an early entry prospect with loads of upside but also lots of room to improve. He possesses an outstanding combination of size, athletic ability and speed, and he also flashes playmaking skills as a man-to-man cover corner. However, he inconsistent in terms of his technique and recognition skills in coverage, which leads to entirely too many big plays allowed on his watch. In short, Youboty is by no means a finished product but he has the potential to develop into a shutdown cover corner in the NFL, which is why he could come off the 2006 draft board late in the first round.