January 31, 1993

rockpile

Super Bowl XXVII - Rose Bowl in Pasadena, California.

This was a game between Buffalo and Dallas that produced a lot of "firsts":

The Bills - 1st team to lose three consecutive Super Bowls.

Emmett Smith - 1st player to win the rushing title and the Super Bowl.

Jimmy Johnson - 1st coach to win both a national college and NFLchampionship.

This was the first Super Bowl to have 69 points scored.

OK, Enough firsts! The Cowboys crushed the Bills 52-17!

The only positive memory I have from this game, happened in the fourth quarter, with the Bills already trailing by five touchdowns. Frank Reich was sacked on a 4th and 5 play, and stripped of the ball by Jeffcoat.

Leon Lett picked up the ball and ran for what he was sure would be another easy touchdown. He did not count on Don Beebe chasing him down and slapping the ball out of his hands at the Bills one yard line after a 64 yard return!

The ball went out of the end zone; Buffalo took possession at the twenty yard line with under five minutes left in the game.

Don Beebe's display of heart, even though it meant NOTHING to the outcome of the game, epitomizes the soul of the Bills and their fans.

The only positive memory I have from this game, happened in the fourth quarter, with the Bills already trailing by five touchdowns. Frank Reich was sacked on a 4th and 5 play, and stripped of the ball by Jeffcoat.

589487[/snapback]

I have a very positive memory of thinking early on that the Bills were going to win. Tasker blocks a punt, the Bills punch it in for 7...That is the type of score that can implode a team when it happens early on. Unfortunately, it was the Bills who imploded.

Leon Lett picked up the ball and ran for what he was sure would be another easy touchdown. He did not count on Don Beebe chasing him down and slapping the ball out of his hands at the Bills one yard line after a 64 yard return!

The ball went out of the end zone; Buffalo took possession at the twenty yard line with under five minutes left in the game.

Don Beebe's display of heart, even though it meant NOTHING to the outcome of the game, epitomizes the soul of the Bills and their fans.

589487[/snapback]

When Chris Berman said that if the Colts had returned the Bettis fumble it would have been the most memorable play in the history of the league, the Sports Guy retorted. He listed a number of plays that he felt were more memorable and the Beebe-Lett play was listed (so was Norwood).

589487[/snapback]

Actually, Beebe's legendary effort saved the Bills from the worst trouncing in Super Bowl history. If Lett scores, Dallas wins by the largest margin ever. Instead, the Broncos keep that dubious distinction -- 55-10 to the Niners.

I dont know about all of you....but I thought this SB was the most painful...because after the comeback game and spanking PITT and Miami on the road...I was almost certian the Bills were going to win this game.

But then to go out and turn the ball over 9 times....man that sucked...

Funny thing about this game is, I think in a span of 1:00 total or somewhere around that range of game clock time, Dallas scored 28 points....

When Chris Berman said that if the Colts had returned the Bettis fumble it would have been the most memorable play in the history of the league, the Sports Guy retorted.  He listed a number of plays that he felt were more memorable and the Beebe-Lett play was listed (so was Norwood).

589509[/snapback]

I would tend to agree with Berman simply because Pittsburgh had dominated that game. And to have lost ONLY because a HOF lock who made a career out of punching it into the endzone from the one did the one thing no one in the world ever expected him to do...an error that would have resulted in the Colts winning that game...would be pretty freakin' memorable.

The Beebe gig was special, no question, but Rock...I would say it no longer epitomizes Bills fans based on what I've been reading the past couple of years. In fact, I'm a bit stunned lately about how flippant Bills fans can be. They're not Patsy troll flippant, but they sure seem to hate every single thing this team does. Some seem to really enjoy watching the team lose just so they can be right.

SB XXVIII - the Bills were up 13-7. I wasn't happy as the Bills didn't try for the endzone on 3rd and 4 (I think) from the 7. Stupid shovel pass to Thomas for no gain. FG - the Cowgirls leave the field with their heads held high, the Bills leave the field with their heads low.

I was there and noticed it immediately.

Marv should have at least TRIED for the TD.

Beebe gig was special, no question, but Rock...I would say it no longer epitomizes Bills fans based on what I've been reading the past couple of years. In fact, I'm a bit stunned lately about how flippant Bills fans can be. They're not Patsy troll flippant, but they sure seem to hate every single thing this team does. Some seem to really enjoy watching the team lose just so they can be right.

589525[/snapback]

I am with you, bro. Some days it hurts to come here! Maybe it epitomizes what Bills fans SHOULD be. Thirteen years has changed a lot of things.

That is why I tried to point out something positive from an otherwise humiliating game.

Hell, I still wear Bills stuff to work, but I am about the only one! :lol:

The funniest thing is that some of these bastids would be the FIRST to jump back on the wagon to cheer for the same people they tossed under the bus.

:lol:

Actually, Beebe's legendary effort saved the Bills from the worst trouncing in Super Bowl history. If Lett scores, Dallas wins by the largest margin ever. Instead, the Broncos keep that dubious distinction -- 55-10 to the Niners.

589516[/snapback]

In what mathematical discipline does 42 exceed 45? :lol:

The Beebe gig was special, no question, but Rock...I would say it no longer epitomizes Bills fans based on what I've been reading the past couple of years. In fact, I'm a bit stunned lately about how flippant Bills fans can be. They're not Patsy troll flippant, but they sure seem to hate every single thing this team does. Some seem to really enjoy watching the team lose just so they can be right.

589525[/snapback]

I agree with you for the most part LA.

I go to the Ralph once a year and have been doing that for about 15 years...and CLEARLY I can see the decline in Bills fans behavoir at games...the sharp negativity about the team and its getting bad, real bad.

For some, being right is EVERYTHING, but even more then that, people LOVE attention,as evidenced by some of the threads started on TBD.

Having said that though, there are still plenty of good well behaved passionate Bills fans around thats for sure.

In what mathematical discipline does 42 exceed 45?  :lol:

589678[/snapback]

Check yourself before you wreck yourself. :lol:

The Bills lost by 42. If Beebe hadn't stopped Lett's TD, the Bills would have lost by 49, thus losing by more than Denver had lost to San Fran (45).

Am I the only one who thinks that the Beebe play, however singularly impressive it was, epitomized the fact the Bills were losers in those big games rather than winners? What did that play really do? Keep us from losing by a greater margin? It's really hard for me to be jacked up when your best play or the one you're most remembered for is from a loss.

For years, the Phoenix Suns were remembered for this Gar Heard shot in the last seconds of a playoff game against the Celtics which sent the game into triple overtime. It was truly a great shot in one of the best games in NBA history. But how stupid is it to think that the greatest and most remembered and most revered game in your team's history was a loss? That's what I think about the Beebe play.

Check yourself before you wreck yourself.  :lol:

The Bills lost by 42. If Beebe hadn't stopped Lett's TD, the Bills would have lost by 49, thus losing by more than Denver had lost to San Fran (45).

589747[/snapback]

Nobody's correcting this?

The Bills lost 52-17.

-

___

Had they lost 59-17, THAT would have been a 42-point loss.

Jeesh I'm almost about to look up the score just to make sure. I was wasted that night, but I remember THAT.

That Beebe play is a mixed bag.

1. Yeah, it was great that he showed the effort to stop fatty from getting a touchdown.

but

2. I am really tired of seeing that play, and how that might arguably be viewed nationally as the "best" play the Bills could conjure up in 4 Super Bowls.

It's best to forget those games.

:lol::lol::lol:

I actually got to GO to that one. Lucky me.

Although the blocked punt and the subsequent TD were right in front of me.

589514[/snapback]

Me too. Miserable game, but man was Beebe my hero that day.

PS, Cowboy fans suck.

I agree with you for the most part LA.

I go to the Ralph once a year and have been doing that for about 15 years...and CLEARLY I can see the decline in Bills fans behavoir at games...the sharp negativity about the team and its getting bad, real bad.

For some, being right is EVERYTHING, but even more then that, people LOVE attention,as evidenced by some of the threads started on TBD.

Having said that though, there are still plenty of good well behaved passionate Bills fans around thats for sure.

589732[/snapback]

You and LA are definitely on to something. I think the problem with attitude and behavior can be compared to "angry drunks" and "happy drunks". Due to the lack of success in the past few years and all the let downs, people take the "they suck, they'll blow it, hey great a first down" type attitude. This kind of outlook just begs for a sh------- mood. sh------- mood plus lots of booze = sh------- behavior. Now I think when the team starts winning again, it will become more of the "happy drunk/party" kind of attitude. You'll see less fights and confrontations between Bills fans and probably a lot less people that pass out or puke in the games. When the team is winning, its fun. Its fun to be there cheering with your fellow fans, high fiving after a first down, singing the shout song, and having some beers. I think if we can get a playoff season going and some stability at Qb, it will do tremendous things for the attitudes and behavior of fans at the Ralph.

I am with you, bro. Some days it hurts to come here! Maybe it epitomizes what Bills fans SHOULD be. Thirteen years has changed a lot of things.

That is why I tried to point out something positive from an otherwise humiliating game.

Hell, I still wear Bills stuff to work, but I am about the only one!  :doh:

The funniest thing is that some of these bastids would be the FIRST to jump back on the wagon to cheer for the same people they tossed under the bus.

0:)

589656[/snapback]

All these people, "Dawgged" or not, still root for the Bills. Otherwise, they wouldn't be here. It's hard to keep faith when your team hasn't made the playoffs in six years and hasn't won a playoff game in more than ten.

589656[/snapback]

always gotta support the team, no matter what.

589656[/snapback]

I agree. I think this "new wave" of Bills fans are too bandwagoney.

You need to learn to take the good with the bad and put faith in your football team.

I agree. I think this "new wave" of Bills fans are too bandwagoney.

You need to learn to take the good with the bad and put faith in your football team.

589897[/snapback]

That's all well and good, but what do you say to a fan like me, who's followed this team religiously for the last quarter of a century?

I love the team, always will. But it's REALLY difficult to love what they've become. They've become what they were before the renaissance years.

Futile.

SB XXVIII - the Bills were up 13-7. I wasn't happy as the Bills didn't try for the endzone on 3rd and 4 (I think) from the 7. Stupid shovel pass to Thomas for no gain. FG - the Cowgirls leave the field with their heads held high, the Bills leave the field with their heads low.

I was there and noticed it immediately.

Marv should have at least TRIED for the TD.

589581[/snapback]

And then the 1st drive after the break, James Washington returned for TD and the

game was broke open....

That's all well and good, but what do you say to a fan like me, who's followed this team religiously for the last quarter of a century?

I love the team, always will. But it's REALLY difficult to love what they've become. They've become what they were before the renaissance years.

Futile.

589899[/snapback]

I am not criticizing you, Joe. I do not get on the ra-ra pulpit seven days a week, neither do I join the we suck parade.

Look at my avatar, it's making fun of Ralph as he began a speech when he was not even sure what DAY it was. 0:)

I really have nothing I can say to you to make things better. I'll bet we share a pitcher at Danny's in September, though! :doh:

I dont know about all of you....but I thought this SB was the most painful...because after the comeback game and spanking PITT and Miami on the road...I was almost certian the Bills were going to win this game.

But then to go out and turn the ball over 9 times....man that sucked...

Funny thing about this game is, I think in a span of 1:00 total or somewhere around that range of game clock time, Dallas scored 28 points....

589517[/snapback]

The first one against the Giants is the most disheartening, and to this day still hurts like an old scar that will never heal.

During one of the recent playoff games either last week, or the week before, there was a hit where a reciever just couldn't hold on to the ball. The announcer said, something like, "no one could have held onto that ball..." Of course the announcer is an idiot. I immediately said outloud that Don Beebe could have!

I remember a game where Beebe took such a hit that he was knocked out, but he still made the catch. He was out cold before he hit the ground, but he DID NOT drop the ball.

Beebe was amazing!!!

Rockpile

"Hell, I still wear Bills stuff to work, but I am about the only one!"

Hey Rock. I still wear Bills stuff to work ALL the time...even to WVU games !!!

My memory of that SuperBowl was that Beebe's play cost me $200...

At work we did a "grid" and I had Dallas 9,,Buff 7 at the end of the 4th QTR...

Assuming Lett scores and the PAT is good, the score wudda been 59-17 and my

9---7 would have won...But I am glad that Beebe made that play...epitomizes the true heart of those great Bills teams..

My memory of that SuperBowl was that  Beebe's play cost me $200...

At work we did a "grid" and I had Dallas 9,,Buff 7 at the end of the 4th QTR...

Assuming Lett scores and the PAT is good, the score wudda been 59-17 and my

9---7  would have  won...But I am glad that  Beebe made that play...epitomizes the true heart of those great  Bills teams..

590287[/snapback]

Whenever I've done one of those grids, and it looks like I'll win that quarter, someone scores in the last minute or two and I miss out.

Hell, I still wear Bills stuff to work, but I am about the only one!  ;)

:(

589656[/snapback]

Some of us don't post a ton, but I do stand fast in Patsy land as a Bills fan. I have been saying to those I work with that the Bills will be in a SB before the Pats make it back as they are pretty clearly on the downslope. It seems to drive them nuts anyway...

The thing about that game was that I believed they were still in the game when they were really getting blown out. Hey, they came back a few weeks ago, why not in the SB?

From my standpoint today, I think I am a more than a little wary. The expectations were set artificially high for the last 5 years. I hope things can be set straight.

And then the 1st drive after the break, James Washington returned for TD and the

game was broke open....

590128[/snapback]

Didn't thurman fumble the ball while the bills were driving to start the second half of that game?? I remember thinking they were going in to score and put 2 scores between them and the cowboys.