Need Your Prayers

pkwwjd

Long story ... short,

A man in my church (I'm a pastor in Clarion, PA) has been diabetic since age 20. Shortly after that, his kidneys failed, too. Five and a half years ago (at age 42) he had a pancreas/kidney double transplant from a recently expired person. The pancreas works great, but the kidney was a lemon; it's been failing since early 2003.

This year, his family takes him off of the transplant waiting list and begins their search for a living donor. After ministering to his kids in the youth group for a few years, I am very close to the family and decide to pursue the process of testing for a match.

I've been going through testing for almost 2 months now and I am being presented to the surgical transplant board for approval on Sept 30th. My wife (themommy) and I are actually really excited about the prospects. We're looking at the possibility of surgery on December 7th -- and I should be home in time for the game on Sunday <_<

If they can take the left kidney, they'll do it laproscopically -- minimally invasive, 2 small holes and one 3" incision. If they have to take the right kiney, it's a 15" incision and I might lose my bottom rib. Obviously, the recovery time would be greatly extended if they take the right.

Anyway (I thought I said it would be short), I am an excellent candidate for the surgery and just wanted to ask for your prayers through the approval on the 30th and I'm praying that they could take the left kidney.

Thanks in advance.

And no, Portis is not hurt, he's very healthy. :ph34r:

You are the MAN pkwwjd! I might have a hard time giving up an organ for ANYONE outside of my immediate family. That man is lucky to have you as a friend, or more importantly, as a donor! I hope you have a speedy recovery if you should be the one! A speedy recovery to your friend as well!

You are a fine, fine man. You should be fine after yoiur recuperation. Just can't play hockey, tackle football or dive from a high board  from now on. I know-  had a kidney removed when I was 4.

34361[/snapback]

Actually, as a living donor, the Drs. told me that I wouldn't be a viable candidate if they thought that I had to undergo any changes in my lifestyle. No dietary changes and most importantly, Turkey Day football is still a go. <_<

Long story ... short,

A man in my church (I'm a pastor in Clarion, PA) has been diabetic since age 20.  Shortly after that, his kidneys failed, too.  Five and a half years ago (at age 42) he had a pancreas/kidney double transplant from a recently expired person.  The pancreas works great, but the kidney was a lemon; it's been failing since early 2003.

This year, his family takes him off of the transplant waiting list and begins their search for a living donor.  After ministering to his kids in the youth group for a few years, I am very close to the family and decide to pursue the process of testing for a match.

I've been going through testing for almost 2 months now and I am being presented to the surgical transplant board for approval on Sept 30th.  My wife (themommy) and I are actually really excited about the prospects.  We're looking at the possibility of surgery on December 7th -- and I should be home in time for the game on Sunday  <_<

If they can take the left kidney, they'll do it laproscopically -- minimally invasive, 2 small holes and one 3" incision.  If they have to take the right kiney, it's a 15" incision and I might lose my bottom rib.  Obviously, the recovery time would be greatly extended if they take the right.

Anyway (I thought I said it would be short), I am an excellent candidate for the surgery and just wanted to ask for your prayers through the approval on the 30th and I'm praying that they could take the left kidney.

Thanks in advance.

And no, Portis is not hurt, he's very healthy.  :ph34r:

34317[/snapback]

Wow. This is true bravery, and sacrifice.

Long story ... short,

A man in my church (I'm a pastor in Clarion, PA) has been diabetic since age 20.  Shortly after that, his kidneys failed, too.  Five and a half years ago (at age 42) he had a pancreas/kidney double transplant from a recently expired person.  The pancreas works great, but the kidney was a lemon; it's been failing since early 2003.

This year, his family takes him off of the transplant waiting list and begins their search for a living donor.  After ministering to his kids in the youth group for a few years, I am very close to the family and decide to pursue the process of testing for a match.

I've been going through testing for almost 2 months now and I am being presented to the surgical transplant board for approval on Sept 30th.  My wife (themommy) and I are actually really excited about the prospects.  We're looking at the possibility of surgery on December 7th -- and I should be home in time for the game on Sunday  <_<

If they can take the left kidney, they'll do it laproscopically -- minimally invasive, 2 small holes and one 3" incision.  If they have to take the right kiney, it's a 15" incision and I might lose my bottom rib.  Obviously, the recovery time would be greatly extended if they take the right.

Thanks in advance.

34317[/snapback]

You dont need our prayers ,we need yours , my fellow Bills fan God speed.

Long story ... short,

God bless you pastor..You will have lots of prayers.you are walking the walk!!!!!!

Thanks in advance.

34317[/snapback]

It's an amazing thing for you to do. My mom is currently one week out from donating one of hers to my uncle. She's doing fine, a little slow, a little uncomfortable, but basically fine. And my uncle is fantastic - talking and peeing basically non-stop (and if you're not familiar with kidney failure, you don't know how wonderful that is). Your friend doesn't even remember being healthy by now - he'll be on top of the world.