Mack Hollins in the Locker Room

12 hours ago, Brand J said:

Isn’t he the guy who doesn’t believe in birds?

EDIT: Just found it. He’s the guy who doesn’t believe in wearing shoes - except on the football field - and doesn’t believe in using utensils “just eat with your hands.” 

One of the draft prospects this year doesn’t believe in birds. How or why, I don’t know.

Hey man -

I don’t believe in birds either!!!

- Don’t believe in the Eagles

- Don’t believe in the Falcons 

- Don’t believe in the Seahawks
- Don’t believe in the Cardinals

- Don’t believe in the Ravens 

He’s a smart man!!!!

….And don’t even get me started on the Lions Tigers and Bears let alone the Dolphins!!!!

GoBills

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

We were told when he signed about his leadership. I hate that our QB is mentioning Hollins 1st when discussing WRs though. That’s not a good sign.

Time to change the mindset Stampede.  Its a whole different type of receiving group this year.  Last year Sherfield and Harty were really not NFL caliber receivers in the slightest.  We had Diggs and Davis who both disappeared for large portions of the season.  Shakir was our guy the last month of the reg season and playoffs.

This year we have a lot of guys who could end up being good.  At worst they are high floor guys.  Whereas Sherfield and Harty were below the foundation type of guys.  These guys may not be dominant.  But I think collectively they will be pretty darn good with #17 winging it to them over the field.  And that includes Mack Hollins having his moments.  And don't forget we have Kincaid too.  Who should be a beast with a year under his belt.

As for not believing in birds.  That's bizarre.  I don't particularly like birds. (we used to shoot pigeon's in college off of the neighbors' roof with a beebe gun-do young people even play with beebe guns anymore?  They were a staple in our lives growing up in the 70's and 80's)  But I do think they are real.  LOL

9 hours ago, Your Brown Eye said:

No defensive coordinator is telling his secondary to "strap up, the Bills WR's are a bunch of bullies"...they are not trotting out 5 WRs that look like DK Metcalf

Is that what your crystal ball told you?  Bills bullied the Cowboys.  Oline is bigger.  Subtract diva at WR and Mack thinks everyone drafted before the 5th is soft.  

57 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Time to change the mindset Stampede.  Its a whole different type of receiving group this year.  Last year Sherfield and Harty were really not NFL caliber receivers in the slightest.  We had Diggs and Davis who both disappeared for large portions of the season.  Shakir was our guy the last month of the reg season and playoffs.

This year we have a lot of guys who could end up being good.  At worst they are high floor guys.  Whereas Sherfield and Harty were below the foundation type of guys.  These guys may not be dominant.  But I think collectively they will be pretty darn good with #17 winging it to them over the field.  And that includes Mack Hollins having his moments.  And don't forget we have Kincaid too.  Who should be a beast with a year under his belt.

As for not believing in birds.  That's bizarre.  I don't particularly like birds. (we used to shoot pigeon's in college off of the neighbors' roof with a beebe gun-do young people even play with beebe guns anymore?  They were a staple in our lives growing up in the 70's and 80's)  But I do think they are real.  LOL

I mentioned upthread that I don't personally adhere to the perspective of one WR "replacing" another... Every receiver group is unique, and each receiver offers their own value to the group (and I assume you would agree with that?), but I don't agree with your assessment of Sherfield, or Harty.

I think Harty just wasn't a good fit for the Bills, beyond his return abilities (which were quite valuable, frankly). I'll bet that if Daboll were still our OC, Harty would have been much more productive, and probably still a Bill. 

Trent Sherfield was a situational player that really wasn't used to his strengths (beyond being a "locker room guy"), outside of his blocking ability, which was... not bad (i suppose)... I honestly think he was culled for his "character," as much as his ability-- something Beane/McD take quite seriously (which I like, btw).

Not for nothing, both of these players are still in the NFL.

Your post did get me thinking though... In some ways, last season was more of a transition season than this one. We changed our identity as a team, first with the Dorsey experiment, and then with Brady. We shifted away from Diggs before the end of the season, shifted away from players like Harty (McKenzie light?), and established a more balanced approach. And at the end of the season, we started to look towards players that Allen would feel comfortable with-- not the OC du jour. This latest draft, and FA would suggest this, no? It wasn't a better version of McKenzie, or Harty, or Sherfield, or even Diggs we were missing. It was the big bodied, sure handed, bruising athletes that can "get the ball, or nobody gets it..." (Allen's words), right?

I'm excited as hell for this season. Whatever happens with our thin defense notwithstanding, this Bills' offense is not going to get pushed around.

GO BILLS!

(and, yo.... lay off the birds!!!)

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

I’ve never known why pigeons are so hated. I felt even more sorry for them after reading this story circulating on FB… (tried to post the picture at 134kb but the upload fails, so I extracted the text)

"My husband grew up in New England where they have pigeons. Apparently they also hate them. He was always saying bad things about pigeons until I pointed something out that he never thought of before.

We domesticated pigeons. They are (nearly) all over the world because HUMANS BROUGHT THEM THERE. And, they were more than pets. They carried messages. People raced them.

They lived spoiled lives as honored human companions for centuries.

Then we got telephones and we threw them out like trash.

Literally, we threw them away.

Their species had already been fully domesticated and they could not survive in the wild; they lost all their survival instincts during the centuries that they lived caged by people.

That is why they live in cities with people instead of off in a forest somewhere. It's OUR fault. And not only did we throw them away, but now humans curse them as "winged rats,” casting them as pests.

But they don't know how to live without us, and their instincts tell them that they should trust us. So, they continue to come up to humans and beg for food, because it's the only survival skill left in their genes.

They love us because they were bred by us to feel that way, and yet we hate them."

#Pigeons

#PigeonsAsPets

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

9 hours ago, HappyDays said:

WR is too valuable a position to keep 1 of 6 roster spots for just special teams when the top of the depth chart is well below average. Andre Roberts was our special teams ace when we had three legit starters above him on the depth chart. And we are an injury away from Mack Hollins playing real snaps in a playoff game like Trent Sherfield did last year.

What level of player do you think you can keep on the team all year as the 5th or 6th WR?   If he's not a ST contributor, he will be inactive most games.  Seriously, do you have examples from last year of another team that had significantly better WR as their 5th or 6th guy going into the postseason

• Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, MJS said:

They've never seen dead birds? They clearly aren't mechanical. But, I'm preaching to the choir, I'm sure.

Obviously the joke conspiracy as a whole isn’t true. But with most information, there is a kernel of truth in this. While obviously all birds aren’t drones, there is indeed fake bird drones that have been used for reconnaissance missions. 

Edited by Milanos Milano

20 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

I believe he’s almost certain to make the 53 for all these reasons you’ve already stated. 

As far as fans not being enthused enough by his signing, did you really expect a different reaction? There’s nothing about his career up to this point that would generate any sort of excitement from the average fan. 

he’s tough, and can play teams, and is a fine enough depth Wr…. And most importantly some of his pay was guaranteed which would be a tie breaker amongst some other similar guys. 

14 hours ago, Beck Water said:

That is your opinion, but historically, it has not been Beane's opinion.  And it's not "just for ST", it's for a guy who plays ST but is believed to be a capable WR backup.

Since Hollins was able to contribute 57 receptions on 690 yds when given the opportunity to play, "proven capable WR backup" would seem like an appropriate descriptor, No?  

I mean, who do you think should have been sitting on the WR bench all season behind Diggs, Davis, Harty, and Shakir?  Beane has always said, on the Bills, the #5 (and #6 if they keep one) WR has to play ST.

The problem last season wasn't that Sherfield was on the roster as a ST and backup WR, it's that halfway through the season Diggs stopped contributing like a #1 WR and Harty never contributed commensurate with the #4/gadget role.

less than 700 yards as a wr is a tough one. It could be a sign of talent but just as easily there are also a metric ton of guys that given the right reps could pull 500-700 yards because “someone has to catch the ball” and even terrible offenses put up thousands of passing yards. 

On 5/24/2024 at 1:03 AM, Brand J said:

Isn’t he the guy who doesn’t believe in birds?

EDIT: Just found it. He’s the guy who doesn’t believe in wearing shoes - except on the football field - and doesn’t believe in using utensils “just eat with your hands.” 

One of the draft prospects this year doesn’t believe in birds. How or why, I don’t know.

oh he'll learn to wear shoes in WNY, thats for sure

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Milanos Milano said:

Obviously the joke conspiracy as a whole isn’t true. But with most information, there is a kernel of truth in this. While obviously all birds aren’t drones, there is indeed fake bird drones that have been used for reconnaissance missions. 

I’ve always thought if a country wanted to spy, figure out how to create a drone bird.  Birds naturally are kind of robotic, if you watch them.  If a realistic drone bird was created, how would you know if it was real or not?  Same goes with other creatures like bugs (flies, mosquitoes, etc.).  People act like it’s a crazy idea to spy, not at all.

• Agree 1

Beane bringing in "a veteran/leader" to the WR room, you say?

Now that I consider it, given Beane's track record at this, Hollis could well be the next Kelvin Benjamin/Andre Holmes/Deonte Thompson/Terelle Pryor/Jeremy Kerley/Andre Roberts/Duke Williams/Emanuel Sanders/Jameson Crowder/Brown+Beasely 2.0/Deonte Harty/Andy Isabella/Trent Sherfield...

... and that's just the list of jabronies who made the roster.

On 5/24/2024 at 3:38 AM, JoPoy88 said:

I believe he’s almost certain to make the 53 for all these reasons you’ve already stated. 

As far as fans not being enthused enough by his signing, did you really expect a different reaction? There’s nothing about his career up to this point that would generate any sort of excitement from the average fan. 

He seems to have a knack of giving the QB a final place to go to. A QB friendly receiver. Likely why Josh likes him. 

On 5/24/2024 at 1:56 AM, TheWeatherMan said:

Let’s all take a deep breath here.  Statistically, Hollins is JAG in a WR room loaded with JAGs.  

You go ahead and keep believing that. Samuel has an elite skill set, and will thrive in this offense.  Shakir has continued to improve in his short career and I believe he will take another step forward this season.  If you think Coleman is “just a guy”, I question your ability to judge receivers.  

add in Kincaid, Hollins MVS etc, and you have a better WR group than last year.  

ps, I have stats to back up the “Samuel has elite skills” comment, if you don’t believe me.  I have posted them here previously.  

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Beane bringing in "a veteran/leader" to the WR room, you say?

Now that I consider it, given Beane's track record at this, Hollis could well be the next Kelvin Benjamin/Andre Holmes/Deonte Thompson/Terelle Pryor/Jeremy Kerley/Andre Roberts/Duke Williams/Emanuel Sanders/Jameson Crowder/Brown+Beasely 2.0/Deonte Harty/Andy Isabella/Trent Sherfield...

... and that's just the list of jabronies who made the roster.

I'm not even sure what point you're trying to make here. If Hollins makes the 53, he'll be #4 on the depth chart at best, and a likely core special teamer. Somehow that long, and varied list of WRs has something to do with Hollins? If you're in search of some sort of confirmation bias on Beane's ability to build a roster, I'd say you have fallen short.