The end of "moving the chains"?

2 hours ago, babulator said:

I like the drama of the chains and measurement. Games should be able to be played without electronics imho.

yea, get those cameras out of there.

• Eyeroll 1

Posted (edited)

If there is a tech solution to spot marking the ball I’m for it. Remove the subjective parts to eliminate ref bias or ineptitude and opportunity to fix game results. One less thing to argue about. 

Edited by Andy1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

How ‘bout scantily clad hotties working for the chain gang? 😍

Move over Goodell... there's a new commissioner waiting in the wings. His name is Chandler # 81 😀

• Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

this will change everything!!!!

lol

in will chains nothing

5 hours ago, agilen said:

Do you really though….

Tide pod eaters confirm this works

8 hours ago, Just Jack said:

How about the Nickelodeon celebration?

How do they clean up that slime so quickly to keep the game moving?   I bet it slows it down, they should stop dumping slime on the field after touchdowns.

12 hours ago, babulator said:

I like the drama of the chains and measurement. Games should be able to be played without electronics imho.

No electronic scoreboards or instant replay then.  Should we also go back to leather helmets???

4 minutes ago, Strethor said:

The chains don't spot the ball, if the technology would be used to help accurately spot this would be a huge deal

Or how about technology that actually projects the line to gain on the field so that the players can see it? Now that’d be cool! 

13 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

1st down play ends: some official puts his foot down within approximately a couple inches of the actual tip of the ball.

2nd down ends: repeat.

3rd down ends: repeat.

Error of up to 6 inches after 3 plays.

Bring the sticks out and find, definitively, that he came up an inch short!

Hint: the laser won't improve this.

A laser doesn't fix issues with ball spotting so i tend to agree.  It's like putting a chip in the ball - what use is it to know if the ball broke the plane if you can't determine possession, whether it was a catch, or whether their knee was down.  

I think a few extra camera's might be beneficial, and potentially some eye in the sky officials who can radio in calls a bit quicker.  I also think the review process of having the ref run to the sideline with headphones is stupid.  Why isn't there just a league office who can review and radio it in?  

40 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Or how about technology that actually projects the line to gain on the field so that the players can see it? Now that’d be cool! 

Having played football... You look at that bullseye on like every play.  It really isn't hard to see it.  

9 hours ago, Andy1 said:

If there is a tech solution to spot marking the ball I’m for it. Remove the subjective parts to eliminate ref bias or ineptitude and opportunity to fix game results. One less thing to argue about. 

My biggest gripes with refs are the phantom calls and the inconsistency from crew to crew on things like defensive holding and illegal contact, and team to team on things like holding offensively.  

Ball spotting i guess can be an issue but it feels rarer and far less likely to have a big influence on the game results.  

3 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Ball spotting i guess can be an issue but it feels rarer and far less likely to have a big influence on the game results

I think it's a huge impact, but we don't notice it. That favorable spot on 1st down? That extra foot? It can make a big difference. I just think we all understand that spotting errors are pretty much unfixable.