Josh thinks he can come off the bench in the NBA

5 minutes ago, Brand J said:

I keep hearing the same argument, but how many big hits happen in the NFL nowadays? There are no more crack back blocks, you have to give receivers space to land (defenseless), there are no helmet to helmet shots - all the “ooooh” hits of the 80s and 90s. Most “jacked up!” moments now are offensive players delivering hits to defensive players (cue Brandt’s “angry runs”).

It’s adaptation. Lebron James, all 6’8” 260lbs of him, acts like the biggest crybaby on the basketball court because he knows the flailings gets him foul calls. Do I think he’s physical or strong enough for today’s NFL if he didn’t have those dramatic antics to lean on? Absolutely. 

NBA players are soft.  Lebrun cries for calls, sure.  But he’s not strapping in a helmet for even a quarter of a game ever.

No one who even casually watches football would ever claim there are no more big hits.  Helmet to helmets obviously happen still—despite penalties.  You’re not making much sense with this line of argument 

41 minutes ago, Special K said:

Jalen Suggs of my Orlando Magic, a former All-State QB in high school, is the same size as Josh Allen...6-5 240 lbs...and he looks so tiny on the court in the NBA.

As big as Josh looks on the football field, it is amazing how small he would look on an NBA court!!

Jalen Suggs is NOT 240.  

I agree, Josh wouldn’t look big on the basketball.  He’d have to play like Josh Hart.  Wing that can hit the boards, play d and hit 3s.  Anyone can stick in the nba if they can play D and hit 3’s.  That’s what the league has become because it’s nearly impossible to stop penetration.  Penetration to get the D to rotate and pass til you get an open 3.  That IS the NBA.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

NBA players are soft.  Lebrun cries for calls, sure.  But he’s not strapping in a helmet for even a quarter of a game ever.

No one who even casually watches football would ever claim there are no more big hits.  Helmet to helmets obviously happen still—despite penalties.  You’re not making much sense with this line of argument 

NBA players are a product of their environment. Flopping has ruled the sport since Sabonis brought it in and Divac took it to another level. Prior to those two, flopping was only seen in soccer. You’re delusional if you think professional athletes from another sport - grown men not China dolls - would fold at first contact in today’s NFL, much less make it through a quarter. The amount of former collegiate basketball players who went on to play in the NFL and have long, successful careers renders your argument silly. But I guess NBA players are softer than collegiate players… right? 

1 hour ago, boyst said:

The talent is over celebrated mediocracy. Go back and look at the 90s when the players actually had to play ball and be tough. Yes they didn't shoot as pretty, and you're right they're offense wasn't superb back then. But, they played defense and they weren't a bunch of b******

I used to think like that until I started watching the NBA again.

There are players and teams that play good/great defense, but the rules have changed.  There's no hand checking and hard fouls of the 80s and 90s will get you a technical or an ejection.

The Nuggets-Twolves series that recently ended was top flight quality ball.  

Anthony Edwards is a budding Superstar and odds on favorite for being face of the league once LeBron and Steph are gone.  

The Superteam era has ended.  The NBA is in good hands with the current youth in the league.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

I have to chuckle at Austin Rivers cause I think Josh’s odds of coming off the bench in the nba are better then someone from the nba throwing 60 yard ropes as bills qb 

Hmm, he named a bunch of two sport athletes. They weren't guys who never played football. They were guys who played both and chose football over basketball. Maybe they weren't good enough to be in the NBA, though. Not sure. But the NBA has FAR fewer players than the NFL, and the NFL has way more specialized positions and roles. You can be a great athlete and go out and play special teams. You can even contribute to a specific role on offense or defense. It can be learned.

But to play as 1 of 5 players on the court, you have to be able to do everything to a baseline level, and then be great at one or two things. The two sports just aren't comparable. It's not about athleticism, really. It's more about the nature of the sports and the sheer number of bodies and roles needed for football.

That being said, there isn't a single guy in the NBA who could play QB in the NFL. That's the most difficult position in sports, in my opinion.

26 minutes ago, MJS said:

Hmm, he named a bunch of two sport athletes. They weren't guys who never played football. They were guys who played both and chose football over basketball. Maybe they weren't good enough to be in the NBA, though. Not sure. But the NBA has FAR fewer players than the NFL, and the NFL has way more specialized positions and roles. You can be a great athlete and go out and play special teams. You can even contribute to a specific role on offense or defense. It can be learned.

But to play as 1 of 5 players on the court, you have to be able to do everything to a baseline level, and then be great at one or two things. The two sports just aren't comparable. It's not about athleticism, really. It's more about the nature of the sports and the sheer number of bodies and roles needed for football.

That being said, there isn't a single guy in the NBA who could play QB in the NFL. That's the most difficult position in sports, in my opinion.

Allen Iverson may have been able to.  We’ll obviously never know- but he was a ridiculous HS QB that decided to focus on Basketball

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

I have to chuckle at Austin Rivers cause I think Josh’s odds of coming off the bench in the nba are better then someone from the nba throwing 60 yard ropes as bills qb 

Austin Rivers is auditioning for the role of Stephen A. with an intact hairline. Complete 🤡. Tony Gonzalez did play football at Cal. Antonio Gates is the exception. Mo Allie Cox is meh. Julius Peppers probably could have played either sport, but chose football. Randy Moss could have possibly played basketball as well. I'm sure there are numerous guys who could have played either sport. 

8 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Allen Iverson may have been able to.  We’ll obviously never know- but he was a ridiculous HS QB that decided to focus on Basketball

Maybe, if they could get him to practice.

He might be the quickest 6' tall human being I have ever seen in my life.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Simon said:

Maybe, if they could get him to practice.

He might be the quickest 6' tall human being I have ever seen in my life.

Yup.  A special athlete.  A guy his size made a HoF career in the paint

Allen couldn’t step in right now and be anything close to an NBA player.  If you gave him 3 years of coaching and practice every day maybe he can not be a total fool for 5 minutes.  

allen has something going for him, he is incredibly smart, with quick reactions and very athletic.  Maybe he could play a hybrid point guard role as a distributor.

however, rivers is insufferable with his mountain top shouting about this.  If the NBA had rosters of 53 plus a highly specialized role that players could map to (like the fact that college basketball players turned football players have all been TEs because that position has the biggest athletic advantage over his defensive counterpart) there would absolutely be NFL players coming over.

Regardless, neither sport has a player that will ever come play hockey, so maybe PK Subban can stand on an even higher mountain than rivers to make everyone else feel lesser…

I think he can. What laughable is they still have listed at his Combine weight 238 lbs. he is more like 250 - 255 lbs. he’d be a good power forward Defender off the bench. 

7 minutes ago, Cray51 said:

Allen couldn’t step in right now and be anything close to an NBA player.  If you gave him 3 years of coaching and practice every day maybe he can not be a total fool for 5 minutes.  

allen has something going for him, he is incredibly smart, with quick reactions and very athletic.  Maybe he could play a hybrid point guard role as a distributor.

however, rivers is insufferable with his mountain top shouting about this.  If the NBA had rosters of 53 plus a highly specialized role that players could map to (like the fact that college basketball players turned football players have all been TEs because that position has the biggest athletic advantage over his defensive counterpart) there would absolutely be NFL players coming over.

Regardless, neither sport has a player that will ever come play hockey, so maybe PK Subban can stand on an even higher mountain than rivers to make everyone else feel lesser…

Hockey is a completely different realm because it requires the athlete to already be an incredible ice skater.  Nba and NFL players are running.  Give some nba and nfl players up to speed on skates and they could compete+ imo

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Hockey is a completely different realm because it requires the athlete to already be an incredible ice skater.  Nba and NFL players are running.  Give some nba and nfl players up to speed on skates and they could compete+ imo

Getting up to speed is a decade long venture.  JJ Watt played hockey since he was a kid, and while he looks big and fast, he would be lost in the ECHL which is the third tier league

basketball and football are completely different realms in their own right.  Basketball is about 5 players all carrying similar abilities in different facets to put a ball in a hoop.  Football is 11 players specializing heavily in skill sets or facets to effectively succeed in their micro role on a play against a macro strategy

10 minutes ago, wppete said:

I think he can. What laughable is they still have listed at his Combine weight 238 lbs. he is more like 250 - 255 lbs. he’d be a good power forward Defender off the bench. 

He would be wayyyy too small for PF

maybe he can be a SG or PG with a very specific skill set.  

the NBA requires a longer learning period for a football player to move to as opposed to an NBA players learning to be a gunner or vertical TE

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, boyst said:

Yeah, the NBA is as dead as ever. I love they're trying to get a little of this side piece hustle called the nfl. Maybe if they actually enforced rules, had discipline and integrity in their league, and stop pandering to the showboat antics that have taken over their league people would care.

I was a huge New York Knicks  fan I remember those Knicks vs Bulls games back in the 90’s  , 

haven’t watched an NBA game in years not even playoffs 

32 minutes ago, NewEra said:

This.

Hockey (skaters) has to be the hardest sport to play. Because of what you said, then on top of that making sure they are not getting laid out while doing all of it.

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

Jalen Suggs is NOT 240.  

I agree, Josh wouldn’t look big on the basketball.  He’d have to play like Josh Hart.  Wing that can hit the boards, play d and hit 3s.  Anyone can stick in the nba if they can play D and hit 3’s.  That’s what the league has become because it’s nearly impossible to stop penetration.  Penetration to get the D to rotate and pass til you get an open 3.  That IS the NBA.

Looked it up and he is listed at 205, which is a surprise to me....thought I remember the announcers on a Magic broadcast saying he was 6-5 240 and me equating him and Josh Allen size-wise after that was said....oh well, at least I had the height correct!

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, H2o said:

Austin Rivers is auditioning for the role of Stephen A. with an intact hairline. Complete 🤡. Tony Gonzalez did play football at Cal. Antonio Gates is the exception. Mo Allie Cox is meh. Julius Peppers probably could have played either sport, but chose football. Randy Moss could have possibly played basketball as well. I'm sure there are numerous guys who could have played either sport. 

Yeah, many professional athletes grew up playing multiple sports, BUT basketball requires much more ball skill compared to football. Dribbling, passing, shooting, rebounding, defending, it’s much more specialized where all 5 players on the court have to have the ability to do it all. Not necessarily well, but well enough not to be a complete liability in any one area.

There are much better overall athletes in football, but none of those guys are 6’5”+ moving silky smooth and coordinated like basketball players. Peppers wouldn’t have had a chance in the league, not even the G league. Maybe overseas, but he’d be undersized for his skillset there too. Ditto for Moss. I think some of you guys don’t understand or truly appreciate the skill level of NBA players. Like Brian Scalabrine likes to tell street ball players (and even collegiate ones), “yeah I might suck in the NBA, but I’m much closer to Lebron James than you are to me.”

The best basketball player in the NFL likely wouldn’t beat the 12th man on an NBA bench. There aren’t numerous guys that could’ve played either sport, they all went where their projection was best, same thing Keon Coleman did.

• Like (+1) 1