Joe Brady's offensive concepts with LSU / Panthers

I found a couple of good videos on YouTube that discuss Joe Brady's time at LSU and the Panthers and one line stuck out to me, "Joe Brady said his philosophy on offense is to force the defense to defend every blade of grass."  It's interesting to look at the Bills roster moves through that prism. 

The video said some of Brady's concepts in Carolina were a bit inhibited because he had a QB in Bridgewater who was not adept at stretching the field vertically so he tried to make up for it by stretching the field horizontally with his play designs.  With Josh under center that shouldn't be a concern and hopefully Brady can fully unleash his concepts.

Interesting videos that are worth the watch.

11 minute run time. 

13 minute run time.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 5

College defenses are way different than what you see in the NFL. Offenses attack players and coverages with their pass game. Most colleges are basing out of Quarters coverage - not so much in the NFL - so take anything you see from LSU with a grain of salt from a concept perspective. However, what it does illustrate is Brady's ability to scheme guys open vs coverages using various concepts.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

4 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

"Joe Brady said his philosophy on offense is to force the defense to defend every blade of grass."  It's interesting to look at the Bills roster moves through that prism. 

McDermott has talked about this.   He wants to attack vertically and horizontally.  He wants to spread the defense over the greatest possible area to create the biggest possible spaces to attack.  Not all that novel an idea, but some coaches are more dedicated to the concept than others.  

It's going to be fun. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 5

4 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I found a couple of good videos on YouTube that discuss Joe Brady's time at LSU and the Panthers and one line stuck out to me, "Joe Brady said his philosophy on offense is to force the defense to defend every blade of grass."  It's interesting to look at the Bills roster moves through that prism. 

The video said some of Brady's concepts in Carolina were a bit inhibited because he had a QB in Bridgewater who was not adept at stretching the field vertically so he tried to make up for it by stretching the field horizontally with his play designs.  With Josh under center that shouldn't be a concern and hopefully Brady can fully unleash his concepts.

11 minute run time. 

13 minute run time.

I really can't speak to the specifics but I live near Charlotte and watched that whole season. He was ABSOLUTELY the scape goat for Rhule!

He had some bare cupboards. Bridgewater, robbie Anderson/chosen had a 1k yard season. I remember being like where tf did this dude learn to ball out, cause he was awful in NJ. He went immediately back to scrub status. Dj Moore was another guy who's game elevated under him. 

Mccaffrey was out almost that entire year, so can't credit it to him. 

Curtis samuel also flirted with 1k yards if I remember right! All this with teddy b, an awful OL, and a previous draft class that was 100% dedicated to defense. Literally! No offensive picks.

I'm excited to see what he can do with a full off season and our cupboard

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, HoofHearted said:

College defenses are way different than what you see in the NFL. Offenses attack players and coverages with their pass game. Most colleges are basing out of Quarters coverage - not so much in the NFL - so take anything you see from LSU with a grain of salt from a concept perspective. However, what it does illustrate is Brady's ability to scheme guys open vs coverages using various concepts.

While there is a difference, remember that a lot of Bradys stuff is from time with Sean Peyton.  I can see 4500 yards, 35 TD's and 10 or less ints in this offense. 

5 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

11 minute run time. 

13 minute run time.

Thank you for that. I tried to post an article from the athletic that had His LSU concepts.

He was forced to use Matt Ruhle's offense at Carolina.  I am really excited to see what he does now he can run his offense.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

McDermott has talked about this.   He wants to attack vertically and horizontally.  He wants to spread the defense over the greatest possible area to create the biggest possible spaces to attack.  Not all that novel an idea, but some coaches are more dedicated to the concept than others.  

It's going to be fun. 

Yeah , I've never heard a coach say I want to be a one dimensional offense who can't stretch the defense vertically lol

Of course it's not a novel idea and everybody wants to implement that 

But some coaches say it to save face.. knowing they will never have that aggression 

But others are dedicated to stressing the defense at all levels... Vertically and horizontally to create stress in the back half 

I do think we have the pieces the quarterback and coaches to do it

• Like (+1) 1

I know college defenses are much different as stated above, but what that shows is his desire to stretch vertically when available.  Also, the offense did try to hit on some deep routes that just weren't completed against KC.

Three of them were thrown pretty well, and the receivers just didn't come down with them.  I think that is a big reason why we see the shift in adding big receivers. You don't want to be in a position where you're relying on Sherfield to be running go in a playoff game as your primary drop threat. 

• Like (+1) 2

To me the real issue is how much can he “hide” until it is playoff time? It seems to me the Bills have had limited success in the playoffs because other teams - mainly the Chiefs, had them figured out.  The Bills have hardly been a consistent juggernaut in the post season in any phase of the game.  Both last season’s and the 13 seconds losses show the Bills need to be just a little better and a lot less predictable to get over the hump.   

• Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

To me the real issue is how much can he “hide” until it is playoff time? It seems to me the Bills have had limited success in the playoffs because other teams - mainly the Chiefs, had them figured out.  The Bills have hardly been a consistent juggernaut in the post season in any phase of the game.  Both last season’s and the 13 seconds losses show the Bills need to be just a little better and a lot less predictable to get over the hump.   

Don't hide anything. Get so good at it, that it doesn't matter what the defense does. If you want to hold back a few trick plays that is fine. But learn to excel at the offense and then they can't stop you. What we need is the playmakers to step up come playoffs. Last year: Diggs gave up, Davis was a mess, Dawkins needed to not get walked back, No pressure on D, etc.

The difference is KC's D was healthy and got good. And they had guys make clutch plays MVS, Rice, etc.

Edited by sunshynman
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, sunshynman said:

Don't hide anything. Get so good at it, that it doesn't matter what the defense does. If you want to hold back a few trick plays that is fine. But learn to excel at the offense and then they can't stop you. What we need is the playmakers to step up come playoffs. Last year: Diggs gave up, Davis was a mess, Dawkins needed to not get walked back, No pressure on D, etc.

The difference is KC's D was healthy and got good. And they had guys make clutch plays MVS, Rice, etc.

Toss in they had a kicker that can make a kick late with the game on the line. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

The defense needs to step up and make big plays, how many times have we seen Chris Jones blow us up that last game, repeatedly.

3 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

Toss in they had a kicker that can make a kick late with the game on the line. 

Unfortunately don't think it would have mattered, our defense hasn't been able to stop a wet paper bag in the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 1

It's easy to see the parallels in personnel with that Carolina team, the one big difference being the tight ends. 

Shakir and Kincaid should thrive in that shallow cross concept. Coleman in Robbie's role and Samuel in Samuel's role. Add in MVS and Cook...you really have a nice corps of receiving weapons. 

Icing on the cake if Claypool amounts to something.

• Like (+1) 3

Posted (edited)
On 5/22/2024 at 9:59 PM, Shaw66 said:

It's going to be fun. 

LOL, McDermott's been talking about a lot of stuff for 7 seasons so far.  It's time for something to materialize, whatever it is, in something more than regular season fashion.  

He now has someone, another person, running half the team, that's both light on NFL experience and with the incredibly limited experience he has, it has not been good any excuses aside. 

One way or another, it's going to be an interesting season.  

Edited by PBF81
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Dislike 1

On 5/23/2024 at 6:12 AM, Green Lightning said:

He schemed for the talent he had. His QB couldn't stretch the field. I think I know of someone who can.

We saw his style last year.  Diggs stats went off a cliff as soon as he took over, cost him his team.  He’s a check down oc. A terrible fit for Josh…. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 5/22/2024 at 12:33 PM, HoofHearted said:

I don't watch much college football

How difficult can it be to run a college offense w Joe Burrow, Jamarr Chase, and Justin Jefferson tho

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

I don't watch much college football

How difficult can it be to run a college offense w Joe Burrow, Jamarr Chase, and Justin Jefferson tho

Bu Bu Bu But the best team in the SEC can beat a bad NFL team, somebody proclaims that every year

• Haha (+1) 1

We already know how Josh can carve up the intermediate to deep parts of the field when the opportunity is there. I don't expect him to forsake that by any means. But if we can get Josh processing like Burrow did at LSU, and he starts shredding teams underneath, he's basically gonna be unstoppable.