Pittsburgh to host 2026 NFL draft (Update: Bills plan to bid for 2028)

30 minutes ago, Billl said:

Super Bowl attendees are mostly from out of town. Draft attendees are largely local and wouldn’t need hotels. Buffalo would be a great spot. 

this is what i was thinking is well.  it will be mostly locals who want to see the show, and go right home after.  i might spend one night in the area, but that would be it personally.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, mushypeaches said:

I would offer that Buffalo is even LESS optimal to host the draft then they are a Super Bowl.  Based on the number of attendees just in Detroit this year - that's way more people than would be in town for the Super Bowl, so where are they all going to stay?

Not all of those were visitors. I bet most were from Detroit area.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, mushypeaches said:

I would offer that Buffalo is even LESS optimal to host the draft then they are a Super Bowl.  Based on the number of attendees just in Detroit this year - that's way more people than would be in town for the Super Bowl, so where are they all going to stay?

I do not believe those attendee numbers to be true but… 

im assuming it’s counting the same fan about 8 times over the weekend going into different events and most of those are locals 

Edited by NoSaint
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Augie said:

Yeah, if Green Bay can handle it, Buffalo certainly can. I think they will rely on a lot of hotel rooms in Appleton. That’s where the Bill stay when they travel there. 

Unless the NFL didn't gobble up all the hotels within a 10 mile radius of Green Bay.

The closest place I could get is in Menominee, Michigan, which is about an hour from Green Bay!

You have to book so far in advance for the draft.

2 hours ago, mushypeaches said:

I have a pull out couch and a camper. We're covered.

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Unless the NFL didn't gobble up all the hotels within a 10 mile radius of Green Bay.

The closest place I could get is in Menominee, Michigan, which is about an hour from Green Bay!

You have to book so far in advance for the draft.

I stayed at my sister’s in Appleton when the Bills played in Green Bay. We were at the hotel bar when the Bills vans pulled up. It was kinda cool to go outside and see them all file in, the police setup, etc. Appleton is about 35 minutes from GB and I think they get a lot of overflow. 

EDIT: a quick search has the Appleton population at 74k, and GB at 106k. I know, it depends on where you draw the lines, but fairly comparable.

Edited by Augie

2 hours ago, msw2112 said:

I was thinking the same thing.  Does Buffalo have the hotel capacity to support that many visitors?  I'm not sure that it does.

it should if you include niagara falls area in canada?

1 hour ago, UConn James said:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but the drafts in recent memory (since they’ve been roving) haven’t been held at the football stadiums, but in an arena or outdoors venue in a downtown area.

So… waiting for the new stadium to be completed isn’t really a requirement. But it would be completed before a possible 2027 announcement. Although it will have been in Detroit, Green Bay, & Pittsburgh by then, so unless they’re doing all of the Rust Belt in a row….

they really should do the draft in non-super bowl host cities. 

2 hours ago, Billl said:

Super Bowl attendees are mostly from out of town. Draft attendees are largely local and wouldn’t need hotels. Buffalo would be a great spot. 

My thought also.  People from Detroit, Cleveland, Pittsburgh wouldn't even have to stay overnight, they could drive for just a day trip. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, NoSaint said:

I do not believe those attendee numbers to be true but… 

im assuming it’s counting the same fan about 8 times over the weekend going into different events and most of those are locals 

I agree.  There was a lot of fuzzy math going on. 775,000 people over 3 days. 😂😂😂😂

14 hours ago, mushypeaches said:

According to this site, Buffalo/Erie County has 10,000 rooms.  Add what you have in Niagara County/Falls area and it probably tops out at no more than 13,000?  Handful of Air BnB’s?  Average 2 people a room and that houses maybe 26K to under 30K?  Surely hotel rooms in Canada would be useful and a few thousand more? Buffalo would absolutely draw a ton of local folk.  Not sure I see how Buffalo could handle the amount that attended in Detroit this past year. 

That doesn’t include restaurants and other distractions. 

Visit Buffalo Niagara

15 hours ago, Bills Fan in MD said:

Buffalo is tailor-made to host a draft at some point.  The city will never be able to host a Super Bowl, but the draft is a different story and would be epic television.  Honestly, and I know that I'm biased, but the NFL would be crazy not to consider Buffalo at some point soon.

lol. You’re out of your mind

13 hours ago, Augie said:

Yeah, if Green Bay can handle it, Buffalo certainly can. I think they will rely on a lot of hotel rooms in Appleton. That’s where the Bill stay when they travel there. 

you do understand the difference between the two cities as far as the history of the league goes though right? If the league has to ferry and fish people all over the place in Wisconsin to make their marketing hit they’ll do it. They will absolutely NOT do that for Buffalo. They have no reason to.

1. There never be a Super Bowl in Buffalo.

2. There will never be an NFL draft in Buffalo. 

please bookmark or save or whatever you’re able to do on this terrible board 👍

• Dislike 1

13 hours ago, UConn James said:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but the drafts in recent memory (since they’ve been roving) haven’t been held at the football stadiums, but in an arena or outdoors venue in a downtown area.

So… waiting for the new stadium to be completed isn’t really a requirement. But it would be completed before a possible 2027 announcement. Although it will have been in Detroit, Green Bay, & Pittsburgh by then, so unless they’re doing all of the Rust Belt in a row….

No one is saying the draft has to be held in or around the stadium - so where would you host the draft in downtown Buffalo and where would you house all those that attended?

I think the number of people who travel to attend the draft is smaller than you think.  Certainly it’s fewer than the number who travel to attend the Super Bowl or be in the Super Bowl hosting city.  I think a draft in Buffalo is coming once the new stadium is built and the existing one demolished.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

you do understand the difference between the two cities as far as the history of the league goes though right? If the league has to ferry and fish people all over the place in Wisconsin to make their marketing hit they’ll do it. They will absolutely NOT do that for Buffalo. They have no reason to.

1. There never be a Super Bowl in Buffalo.

2. There will never be an NFL draft in Buffalo. 

please bookmark or save or whatever you’re able to do on this terrible board 👍

1. I seriously doubt Buffalo will ever host a Super Bowl. 

2. Hosting a draft would not surprise me at all.

3. Thank you for doing your part to make this board what it is. 

Edited by Augie