Pittsburgh to host 2026 NFL draft (Update: Bills plan to bid for 2028)

Posted (edited)

Buffalo is tailor-made to host a draft at some point.  The city will never be able to host a Super Bowl, but the draft is a different story and would be epic television.  Honestly, and I know that I'm biased, but the NFL would be crazy not to consider Buffalo at some point soon.

Edited by Bills Fan in MD
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 5

59 minutes ago, Bills Fan in MD said:

Buffalo is tailor-made to host a draft at some point.  The city will never be able to host a Super Bowl, but the draft is a different story and would be epic television.  Honestly, and I know that I'm biased, but the NFL would be crazy not to consider Buffalo at some point soon.

We would hijack the ***** out of that show.

Id teach crowd chant lessons at least a year prior 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bills Fan in MD said:

I would offer that Buffalo is even LESS optimal to host the draft then they are a Super Bowl.  Based on the number of attendees just in Detroit this year - that's way more people than would be in town for the Super Bowl, so where are they all going to stay?

• Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

Maybe with the new stadium, if they can make it through the crowds of people protesting the PSLs. 

With the new stadium on the way I bet the Sabres get to host another outdoor winter classic game down the line.

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, mushypeaches said:

I would offer that Buffalo is even LESS optimal to host the draft then they are a Super Bowl.  Based on the number of attendees just in Detroit this year - that's way more people than would be in town for the Super Bowl, so where are they all going to stay?

I was thinking the same thing.  Does Buffalo have the hotel capacity to support that many visitors?  I'm not sure that it does.

23 minutes ago, mushypeaches said:

A lot less people would attend the draft in Buffalo. Which is fine, Detroit broke records for attendance. They are not all like that. 

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Your Brown Eye said:

Maybe if the new stadium was built on the waterfront it would have a better chance. The NFL may want to showcase the new stadium the year it opens with the draft, but I think that's about it.

The draft is all Buffalo could get. The Super Bowl is out for the obvious reason. I think the NHL will host a winter classic in the new stadium for the Sabres at some point. Of course, it would help if the Sabres could build a good team first.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

I was thinking the same thing.  Does Buffalo have the hotel capacity to support that many visitors?  I'm not sure that it does.

So…….Buffalo does not have great hotel options because they don’t draw big events, and we can’t have big events because we don’t have the hotel options. It feels like a chicken or the egg scenario. 

I’d love to see how they would pull off an NFL draft. Where would they hold it, and what would it look like? 

Edited by Augie

1 hour ago, Bills Fan in MD said:

Buffalo is not feasible to host.   Too small and not enough places to house attendees

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, mushypeaches said:

Yet, the NFL is having next year's draft in Green Bay. They don't have the hotel capacity for it.

Edited by Mark Vader
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Yet, the NFL is having next year's draft in Green Bay. They don't have the hotel capacity for it.

Right? The idea that Buffalo can't hold the draft is silly. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, mushypeaches said:

your house?  City of good neighbors right?

11 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Yeah, if Green Bay can handle it, Buffalo certainly can. I think they will rely on a lot of hotel rooms in Appleton. That’s where the Bill stay when they travel there. 

Correct me if I’m wrong, but the drafts in recent memory (since they’ve been roving) haven’t been held at the football stadiums, but in an arena or outdoors venue in a downtown area.

So… waiting for the new stadium to be completed isn’t really a requirement. But it would be completed before a possible 2027 announcement. Although it will have been in Detroit, Green Bay, & Pittsburgh by then, so unless they’re doing all of the Rust Belt in a row….