Harrison Butker…oy vey…what a commencement “speech”

eball

40 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

So how does everyone like our Super Bowl chances this year?

You're not in proper form here.  First of all, what does the Super Bowl have to do with football.  

Secondly, your not angry enough. 

I want you to get up right now and go to the window. Open it, and stick your head out, and yell, 'I'M AS MAD AS HELL, AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE THIS ANYMORE!' I want you to get up right now, sit up, go to your windows, open them and stick your head out and yell - 'I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore!' Things have got to change. But first, you've gotta get mad!... You've got to say, 'I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore!' Then we'll figure out what to do about the depression and the inflation and the oil crisis. But first get up out of your chairs, open the window, stick your head out, and yell, and say it: "I'M AS MAD AS HELL, AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE THIS ANYMORE!"I want you to get up right now and go to the window. Open it, and stick your head out, and yell, 'I'M AS MAD AS HELL, AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE THIS ANYMORE!' I want you to get up right now, sit up, go to your windows, open them and stick your head out and yell - 'I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore!' Things have got to change. But first, you've gotta get mad!... You've got to say, 'I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore!' Then we'll figure out what to do about the depression and the inflation and the oil crisis. But first get up out of your chairs, open the window, stick your head out, and yell, and say it: "I'M AS MAD AS HELL, AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE THIS ANYMORE!"

The most important takeaway, worry about others and other peoples' business first.  Don't worry about yourself or your own business.  

😉😁

• Haha (+1) 1

What I don't understand is why anybody cares what a football player says at a parochial school graduation. 

When I was young I slept around big time and drank beer. If this guy made a speech condemning me and others of my ilk, I cannot stress enough how little I would care. If a person is gay, why would the comments of this person be of any importance at all to them? I'm being serious. I simply cannot fathom why anyone should care or even be injured in any way. Would said person stop being gay? Become more gay? 

I have three quite accomplished, wonderful daughters. They are proud women (and Bills fans LOL). If this person did make bad comments about women they would probably call him a name of sorts and completely forget about it the next day because comments like this are inconsequential in their busy lives. 

I think that today too many people think that everyone else simply HAS to agree with them. It is not a good omen for the country.

As always, jmo.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

You're not in proper form here.  First of all, what does the Super Bowl have to do with football.  

Secondly, your not angry enough. 

I want you to get up right now and go to the window. Open it, and stick your head out, and yell, 'I'M AS MAD AS HELL, AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE THIS ANYMORE!' I want you to get up right now, sit up, go to your windows, open them and stick your head out and yell - 'I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore!' Things have got to change. But first, you've gotta get mad!... You've got to say, 'I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore!' Then we'll figure out what to do about the depression and the inflation and the oil crisis. But first get up out of your chairs, open the window, stick your head out, and yell, and say it: "I'M AS MAD AS HELL, AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE THIS ANYMORE!"I want you to get up right now and go to the window. Open it, and stick your head out, and yell, 'I'M AS MAD AS HELL, AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE THIS ANYMORE!' I want you to get up right now, sit up, go to your windows, open them and stick your head out and yell - 'I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore!' Things have got to change. But first, you've gotta get mad!... You've got to say, 'I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore!' Then we'll figure out what to do about the depression and the inflation and the oil crisis. But first get up out of your chairs, open the window, stick your head out, and yell, and say it: "I'M AS MAD AS HELL, AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE THIS ANYMORE!"

The most important takeaway, worry about others and other peoples' business first.  Don't worry about yourself or your own business.  

😉😁

Is Peacock still charging $7/month?  I’m mad as hell, and I’m not going to take it anymore!

11 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

What I don't understand is why anybody cares what a football player says at a parochial school graduation. 

When I was young I slept around big time and drank beer. If this guy made a speech condemning me and others of my ilk, I cannot stress enough how little I would care. If a person is gay, why would the comments of this person be of any importance at all to them? I'm being serious. I simply cannot fathom why anyone should care or even be injured in any way. Would said person stop being gay? Become more gay? 

I have three quite accomplished, wonderful daughters. They are proud women (and Bills fans LOL). If this person did make bad comments about women they would probably call him a name of sorts and completely forget about it the next day because comments like this are inconsequential in their busy lives. 

I think that today too many people think that everyone else simply HAS to agree with them. It is not a good omen for the country.

As always, jmo.

Isn't that exactly what is happening here? Butker says being gay is a "deadly sin" which is hilarious as much as it's wrong. I call him a bigoted idiot. The world moves on. We get back to watching him make every clutch kick he ever attempts against the Bills. 

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Isn't that exactly what is happening here? Butker says being gay is a "deadly sin" which is hilarious as much as it's wrong. I call him a bigoted idiot. The world moves on. We get back to watching him make every clutch kick he ever attempts against the Bills. 

Maybe. I hope so. Some folks appear to be paralyzed in pain and anger because of a few ill advised comments by a football player.

On 5/15/2024 at 1:06 PM, PastaJoe said:

He basically told all the women graduates that they just wasted a lot of time and money getting a degree when they should be taking care of husbands. They should have walked out or at least booed him. Not to mention his homophobia.

No doubt.  I'm sure that they're all permanently distraught, rudderless souls sans any hopes now, since they sat thru a simple commencement speech.  

All those things that Dean Wormer told Blutarsky are finally making sense to them.  

On a non-facetious side note, this just in, but many people do spend a lot of time and money on worthless degrees without anyone's prodding.  

And frankly, if a commencement speech really alters any 20-some year old adult's entire world view or causes them such emotional pain and consternation to much of any extent, other than the expected unnecessary waste of the duration of a commencement ceremony, then they probably did waste their time and money there.  Good luck to them at the onset of their professional lives.  All of a sudden you've shed some light on all of the adult tantrums that people have for varying reasons.  😎

The last commencement ceremony that I went to featured a guy running waaay long on how his family came to the States and opened a motel chain.  After not too long there was a bunch of eye-rolling as to the entirely unnecessary length, increasing chatter amongst the attendees, and an extended case of a$$ numbness.  

I'm pretty sure that once it was over no one remembered much or cared.  

20 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Is Peacock still charging $7/month?  I’m mad as hell, and I’m not going to take it anymore!

Is it $7 now?

I'm PISSED!  It was $4.99 last year.  

😁

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Maybe. I hope so. Some folks appear to be paralyzed in pain and anger because of a few ill advised comments by a football player.

He wasn't "advised" to make those comments--this is what this guy believes is true. HE was there to condemn all sorts of people and behavior.  And to tell the ladies to just stay home---why go to college?

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

You should have jumped at their deal they offered last November, on Black Friday. I pay only $2.66 a month for it!

• Haha (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Not a serial groper. That wasn't my accusation. Just that the rumour mill is linking him to experiences at college that he would now consider "sin". And not just "sin". "Deadly Sin". Well I've sinned lots in that case and it hasn't been deadly yet. 

Right? The worst things anyone of us have done we may just be lucky. Every morning I run, including this morning. There is a back road i take and someone doing 70+ in a 35mph. Every day I flip them off. Every day they keep speeding by. It'd be nothing for them to take me out or shoot me. It's stupid that I react but here I am. 

Everyone is taking what I said out of context. All I said is that we should go back to a better time, like the 50s and 60s. When men were men, and women had more babies than thoughts. When the only 'Me too' movement was one woman saying she was ready for her 4th child, and another woman agreeing."

This is Butker’s clarification.  He had time to put this together, time to reflect and what he came up with is women should have babies and not thoughts.  That is indefensible, I’m sorry.

Transcript from Speech:

"For the ladies present today, congratulations on an amazing accomplishment. You should be proud of all that you have achieved to this point in your young lives. I want to speak directly to you briefly because I think it is you, the women, who have had the most diabolical lies told to you. How many of you are sitting here now about to cross this stage and are thinking about all the promotions and titles you are going to get in your career? Some of you may go on to lead successful careers in the world, but I would venture to guess that the majority of you are most excited about your marriage and the children you will bring into this world.

I can tell you that my beautiful wife, Isabelle, would be the first to say that her life truly started when she began living her vocation as a wife and as a mother. I'm on the stage today and able to be the man I am because I have a wife who leans into her vocation. I'm beyond blessed with the many talents God has given me, but it cannot be overstated that all of my success is made possible because a girl I met in band class back in middle school would convert to the faith, become my wife, and embrace one of the most important titles of all: homemaker.

[Applause lasting 18 seconds]

She is a primary educator to our children. She is the one who ensures I never let football or my business become a distraction from that of a husband and father. She is the person that knows me best at my core, and it is through our marriage that, Lord willing, we will both attain salvation.

I say all of this to you because I have seen it firsthand how much happier someone can be when they disregard the outside noise and move closer and closer to God's will in their life. Isabelle's dream of having a career might not have come true, but if you asked her today if she has any regrets on her decision, she would laugh out loud, without hesitation, and say, “Heck, No.”

As a man who gets a lot of praise and has been given a platform to speak to audiences like this one today, I pray that I always use my voice for God and not for myself. Everything I am saying to you is not from a place of wisdom, but rather a place of experience. I am hopeful that these words will be seen as those from a man, not much older than you, who feels it is imperative that this class, this generation, and this time in our society must stop pretending that the things we see around us are normal."

Full Text: Harrison Butker of Kansas City Chiefs Graduation Speech| National Catholic Register (ncregister.com)

13 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

This is being blown way out of proportion.   

yes but the profit of this is huge. being a victim in this country is the most valuable trait you can have.

• Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

40 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Such is the world these days. Everyone is offended by everything. And if you offend someone, or a certain group of people, then the rest of the "mob" comes for you in one way or another. And there are "mobs" on all side. 

I'm sure a lot of the things I say or believe offend a ton of people as well. I lived a crazy life as a teen and young adult. A lot of drinking, a lot of drugs, a lot of women, a lot of crazy situations where I very well could not have been here right now. Car wrecks, set up to be murdered (yes, I'm serious), being involved in witchcraft, and situations I avoided by what I thought was "gut instinct". By the grace of God alone I am here. Life is different now. My relationship with Jesus Christ changed everything. I understand what Butker is getting at with what he is saying. I know what the Bible teaches about all of these things being debated around here. I also know the grace that has been bestowed upon my own life. I know the wickedness I walked in and how much was washed away. Because of that, because I have been forgiven much, I love much. It doesn't mean the things I say or believe will not offend others, but it does mean that those same things are not meant as malicious in any way.  

• Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Dislike 1

Posted (edited)

I have stumbled upon the most ridiculous commentary delivered with the most stout conviction.   I’m not talking about Mr. Butker.

For all of you “I know what’s best for you to believe” types, please send me private messages.    There are times when I see different people having different beliefs and taking different paths than I do.    Unlike you, I’m inclined to find them interesting and respect their views.   I need a boost of your “I know the way God or Darwin intended us to live and it applies to 8 billion human beings” confidence.

Edited by Neo
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Not if you’re the NFL and trying to get more women fans

If the NFL really cared about that they'd suspend a player for life the moment he hit or raped a woman.

Some women actually do want to stay home and raise their children. 0% of woman want to be physically abused and raped.

If a woman continued watching football when Tyreek Hill beat his pregnant girlfriend, or broke a woman's leg. 

If they continued watching when Deshaun Watson forced upwards of 20 woman to perform sex acts on him and continued to watch when one of the largest owners in the sport participated in a child sex ring...do we really believe they would stop watching because someone suggested a woman who thinks she may be happy staying home and raising a child, do that, rather than bending to societal norms?

Lets just call a spade a spade.   Butker is being roasted because he is a Christian that's the long and short of it.

Edited by thenorthremembers
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1