Things that really piss you off when driving.

People who cut the corner instead of squaring the corner. That is actually crossing a double-yellow line and could get you a ticket.

People who hesitate and delay when the green arrow lights up. If I miss this green arrow because of your snoozing.. #$%^%

Having said that, I try not to get too pissed while driving. If you get pissed while driving, you are letting others control you--that's not good for your mental health.

15 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yeah. 

I think the Michigan left is mainly for roads with more increased speeds.  That is not wanting traffic making lefts against say a 55mph speed limit.  Misjudginng the acceleration of a motorcycle making a left in front of it has to be one of the harder things for people?

Intersection where one road is at highway speed and the other is not.

From Wiki:

440px-Michigan_Left.svg.png

"Stylized depiction of the design in Grand Haven, Michigan, at US 31 and Robbins Road (north to the right), showing the additional area necessary to make a turn on a narrow median[1] 43°2′40.18″N 86°13′12.57″W"

Yeah, they’re moving the left turns off of the big high speed road. My town for whatever reason decided to put the u-turns ON the high speed road. What could possibly go wrong with that? And the population is increasing like crazy around here. I can’t wait for that point where they realize they need to spend a ton of money to undo this stupidity. 

14 hours ago, boater said:

People who cut the corner instead of squaring the corner. That is actually crossing a double-yellow line and could get you a ticket.

People who hesitate and delay when the green arrow lights up. If I miss this green arrow because of your snoozing.. #$%^%

Having said that, I try not to get too pissed while driving. If you get pissed while driving, you are letting others control you--that's not good for your mental health.

A few of my favorite lines:

It's not going to get any greener!

It only turns one shade of green!

The gas pedal is the long skinny one on the right!

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

General consensus drivers have gotten way worse in the last 20 years? 

Millennials? No fail road tests?  Or just society thinking that nothing needs structure?

I mean I get it. Who wants structure... BUT ya think, the roads would be the one place where order, structure seem to take precedent. The absolute last place you want people on different pages. 😏 

How many people just hang in the left lane is a classic example of the structure-less, free-form movement out there.

It's basically happening everywhere.  People living their dreams without a clue in the world.😆🤣 

5 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Millennials? No fail road tests?  Or just society thinking that nothing needs structure?

I mean I get it. Who wants structure... BUT ya think, the roads would be the one place where order, structure seem to take precedent. The absolute last place you want people on different pages. 😏 

How many people just hang in the left lane is a classic example of the structure-less, free-form movement out there.

It's basically happening everywhere.  People living their dreams without a clue in the world.😆🤣 

Many people texting and driving is absolutely insane. I think that should be treated like a DUI if they caught. That causes so many accidents that hurt and kill people.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Just now, Gregg said:

Many people texting and driving is absolutely insane. I think that should be treated like a DUI if they caught. That causes so many accidents that hurt and kill people.

Not sure how it gets handled.  Devices are so intertwined with life.

Unless. Heavy hand of government and tech solution... Like device kill in vehicle. But how does one determine driver/passenger. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Not sure how it gets handled.  Devices are so intertwined with life.

Unless. Heavy hand of government and tech solution... Like device kill in vehicle. But how does one determine driver/passenger. 

I have no idea how they can solve it. But it is a problem that needs to be looked at. People with common sense don't text and drive but there are many people out there without common sense. 

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Gregg said:

I have no idea how they can solve it. But it is a problem that needs to be looked at. People with common sense don't text and drive but there are many people out there without common sense. 

Yeah.  Then,  they make vehicles giving off a WiFi signal. I mean WTF. 😆 

Answer has to automation, crash avoidance,  robotics, etc... ???

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yeah. When did that stupid trend really take off!

No idea.  The biggest idiots are the ones who do it to 18 wheelers.  

5 hours ago, Gregg said:

Ive heard some cars have technology to detect if the driver is looking down and not at the road and it alerts the driver somehow to look up. Maybe that kind technology is the correct direction to pursue.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Fan in San Diego said:

Ive heard some cars have technology to detect if the driver is looking down and not at the road and it alerts the driver somehow to look up. Maybe that kind technology is the correct direction to pursue.

I agree it sounds wise, but my wife got a new car and the safety features drive me crazy!  The damn thing beeps, flashes or vibrates for all kinds of crazy reasons! My wife, in her wisdom, clearly admits “I need those features.”  Go over the speed limit, change lanes without signaling, etc and you will be made aware. 

Her texts all come thru the car by way of her guy with the hot Australian accent. I suspect sometimes she takes the long way home to be with him. 

I try to pay attention when I drive, and I’m still getting used to all the bells and whistles distracting me in her car.  

• Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Another Fan said:

I'd say absolutely.

Between the ingrained entitlement, the tech distractions and the simple lack of respect for others, there are way more spoiled, clueless brats on the road.

Even OTR guys, who used to be the best drivers out there, cannot be trusted anymore.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Doc said:

No idea.  The biggest idiots are the ones who do it to 18 wheelers.  

The older generation of truckers were the best drivers out there, but the newer generation has become a bunch of self-indulgent jackasses.

I won't brake check that kind of tonnage, but if they do something stupid I will time it so that I slide in front of them when approaching the base of a hill and then slow down enough to rob them of the momentum they're trying to build for it. It drives them crazy. :lol:

11 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yeah. When did that stupid trend really take off!

When social media and dash cams became a thing.

11 hours ago, Another Fan said:

The father of one of my students was killed right in front of our school a couple weeks ago.  7:30am, he dropped the kid off, waited at a traffic light to make a left outof the school parking lot, light changed, he pulled out to make the left and got T-Boned by some jackass who ran the light.  Killed on impact. Road was closed for 4 hours, guy who ran the light was uninjured.  We had to tell the kid.  Now the kid has to ride a schoolbus through that intersection twice a day and sit 300 yards from it all day long.

• Sad 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, That's No Moon said:

When social media and dash cams became a thing.

The father of one of my students was killed right in front of our school a couple weeks ago.  7:30am, he dropped the kid off, waited at a traffic light to make a left outof the school parking lot, light changed, he pulled out to make the left and got T-Boned by some jackass who ran the light.  Killed on impact. Road was closed for 4 hours, guy who ran the light was uninjured.  We had to tell the kid.  Now the kid has to ride a schoolbus through that intersection twice a day and sit 300 yards from it all day long.

Wow... My condolences. 

How old was the perp? Is it on camera?  Will they serve time and make restitution?

I take my life in my hands everytime I leave work. Ford employee notoriously run the red light a few hundred yards to the left. Traffic is busy... Only time most can make a left out of work access road is when light is red to the west.  

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

10 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Wow... My condolences. 

How old was the perp? Is it on camera?  Will they serve time and make restitution?

I take my life in my hands everytime I leave work. Ford employee notoriously run the red light a few hundred yards to the left. Traffic is busy... Only time most can make a left out of work access road is when light is red to the west.  

Sadly it seems it's not cautious driving anymore just to wait a few seconds to go after the light turns green if you are the 1st car.  

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Wow... My condolences. 

Runner of the light was 22 years old driving a 4Runner. Person killed was driving a Cadillac DTS.  Not on camera to my knowledge, no official traffic cameras there.  No idea about legal consequences at this point.  I saw the aftermath of the accident.  The DTS was spun around backwards and driven across 3 lanes of traffic.  Airbags had deployed, including side airbags, but the cabin was clearly compromised by the impact and the door had been pushed into the cabin space by at least a foot, maybe more.  The car that hit him continued through the intersection at least 50 feet before it came to a stop.  I didn't see the second car, just the DTS, but the mess of fluids it had left on the ground where it stopped was still there.  Keep in mind, I saw all this at 11:30am when I stepped out to grab lunch.  The accident was at 7:30.

People often run this light because it's in between two major intersections.  Both of those have red light cameras, this one does not even though this is the one where you have 25 school buses coming in and out twice a day.  I've almost gotten tagged a couple times making that left after school, but by people coming from the right rather than the left because that's the busier traffic flow in the afternoon.  In the AM it's coming from the left.

2 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

Sadly it seems it's not cautious driving anymore just to wait a few seconds to go after the light turns green if you are the 1st car.  

Right, look up thread and see how many ppl go nuts if you don't move immediately.

Also, I've almost gotten hit by people coming from the right side, on the other side of a 4 lane divided road.  So the light changes, you go, maybe you're the 2nd or 3rd car, cross over two lanes and a median THEN some ass comes flying through the intersection from your right side.  There isn't an amount of time you can wait to eliminate the problem.  I look plenty.  Especially now.

• Sad 2