$23 million in CAP in 2025 if no more moves as of 5/14

Anyone complaining about CAP space next year...

Overthecap projects us at $14m next season.

If Buffalo rolls over the Tre White extension without doing anything with it next month minus paying the rookie class we get about $9m.

Plus everyone thinks we're cutting Von next offseason... if we do we get $8.5m in CAP savings.

Over $31m in CAP space right there.

Plus... could still easily restructure Oliver, Taron and Josh for a lot more money.

And as far as FA go... the big one is really only Spencer Brown.

Beane has set this team up for the future!

• Like (+1) 9
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

If Buffalo rolls over the Tre White extension without doing anything with it next month minus paying the rookie class we get about $9m.

Plus everyone thinks we're cutting Von next offseason... if we do we get $8.5m in CAP savings.

Plus... could still easily restructure Oliver, Taron and Josh for a lot more money.

There's also the cost of the Practice Squad and in season spending pool. We also have an open roster spot for Training Camp, so we're going to sign someone. Long story short, we won't be rolling over 9m.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Posted (edited)

About a month ago I thought it would be much higher. I thought we were in the 40+ million dollar range. We’re at 31 million or so with moves, but start with $14 million. Don’t get me wrong I’m happy to be out of cap jail. However, I just thought after all this… After all the slash and burn this Spring we would have more money.

Anyways…

Go Bills!

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Good news.  We can structure Aiyuk's new contract accordingly post June 1st after the trade.

Beane set us up……..and two posts later Doc knocked us down.  Oh well, maybe someday.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

About a month ago I thought it would be much higher. I thought we were in the 40+ million dollar range. We’re at 31 million or so with moves, but start with $14 million. Don’t get me wrong I’m happy to be out of cap jail. However, I just thought after all this… After all the slash and burn this Speing we would have more money.

Anyways…

Go Bills!

we were a month ago. we pushed a lot around. i wouldn't be surprised if we restructure some others and push it. but also having some high draft capital and big money available is going to be nice.

i would like to get through this retool and see what emerges then build on that for 2025.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, The 9 Isles said:

I think they have to redo Josh’s contract by next year. He is currently the 9th highest paid Qb in the league and that won’t stay that way. 

He’s right next to Mahomes. He can get a new contract once he gets a ring. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Is this with the projected increase in cap next year? I am assuming it is.

I would expect Josh to get at the very least a restructured deal in '25 as his cap hit is $60M and then $59M in '26.  Next year he'll have 4 years left but the "guarantees" shift downward like all front loaded deals.   No matter what by 26-27 he's gonna want something, we're better off working on it on '25, adding term, kicking out the balloon hits, and locking Josh up for another 3-5 years...

So a 5 year extension takes it to 9 under contract with a complete restructuring of how the cap hits work over the next 4 to give us breathing room.  But bump his average back up to top 2-3 in the league.  Frankly dude has earned it and the price is only going up.  This is a smart play, unless he doesn't want to be locked in that long. 

But all that aside, there are still moves and cap gymnastics that needs to be done in '25, and probably '26.  It's just the world you live in when you go for broke like we did in 21-23 and kept charging to the future. 

I will say I'm immensely impressed with how Beane has cleared it so quick... You see teams like New Orleans deal with "Cap Jail" for 10 years stuck in the cycle, and Beane made short work of it in 1 with some small carry over for '25, and we're back up and running.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

6 minutes ago, Saint Doug said:

He’s right next to Mahomes. He can get a new contract once he gets a ring. 

Not how it works... Honestly a new deal helps the bills because we have been restructuring his deal to create space year over year.  His $60M in 25 is a boat anchor cap wise, and $59 in 26 is just as bad.  If they restructure in 25 to alleviate some of that pressure, it kicks to the next years again.

'25 isn't when they "have to" make something work, they can easily kick the can in '25 and worry about it all in '26. That's the beauty of having him with 4 more years still. But now is when you consider being proactive so you can lock up your franchise QB longer, while structuring the deal to give you 4-5 more years or flexibility rather than just year to year can kicking.

Doesn't have to be done, but it's worth considering for sure.

And to your silly headline point of "he can get a new contract when he gets a ring", what are we gonna do, let him walk in 2029 if he doesn't?? Lol

Allen is physically the best most impressive QB in the NFL.  Mahomes is better because he wins, but Allen is right there with what he can do on the football field. He's easily the best in franchise history, and his pooping on NFL records along the way.  Dude is already on track for all timer and HOF if his career stays on this trajectory.  Yes we a want a SB or 8, but that doesn't detract from how amazing he is. 

Remember, Manning was drafted in '98 and didn't win a SB til 2006... He's still top 3 QBs ever.  Josh is young and has at least a decade left in him, plenty of time for at least one SB.

Acting like he isn't worth a contract because he doesn't have a ring is just plain stupid and simplistic.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

2 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

About a month ago I thought it would be much higher. I thought we were in the 40+ million dollar range. We’re at 31 million or so with moves, but start with $14 million. Don’t get me wrong I’m happy to be out of cap jail. However, I just thought after all this… After all the slash and burn this Speing we would have more money.

Anyways…

Go Bills!

The difference is that the Bills picked up Rousseau’s 5th year option. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

You're right on.  I think this is one of his most impressive years.  He got us much younger, and out of cap hell.  

People are fearful because there is change, but here is an optimistic view on the "slash and burn" -- Diggs gave us literally nothing for 2/3rds of a year and removing his persona hints at addition by subtraction; love Po, always, but Po looked slow; Feel so bad for Hyde, hope he retires before injured, but probably not worth his contract rate last year; Morse was one concussion away from being a cap albatross and always had trouble anchoring, and he always had trouble anchoring; Tre White was an all-time favorite for me, but performance year 1 after an achilles is typically poor; Gabe Davis - love the human, the player added little and contributed a lot to Josh's interceptions by not being "on the same page" with Josh; Jordan Phillips and Shaq Lawson - it was time.  

All along the past 2-3 years, we have injected impressive young talent.  Cook, Torrence, Kincaid, Bernard, Benford and Brown.   I was very skeptical at the time, but locking up Oliver was genius.  

I think we are a much better team right now than last year. It may take a bit to gel, but we are younger, stronger, faster, healthier and cheaper.  This is a golden age of team management - probably the best ever - as well as on field performance.  Judge me now, but save the post -- the on-field team in 2024 will be better than 2023 and 2022 teams (that 2021 team could have really won it though).  I think we need one more year of reloading to optimize the roster, but we are a strong competitor for the Super Bowl right now.  Staying healthy, rookie contributions and Von's hoped-for recovery will all be key.  But give us a couple breaks and we can win it.

• Like (+1) 4

25 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

The difference is that the Bills picked up Rousseau’s 5th year option. 

Thank you, Barley.  Honestly I didn't know that an it makes a difference.

Again, I would rather be in this cap position than on the opposite end, but I saw initial reports...even from Spotrac that had us in a much better situation.  

...and then it just sort of changed.

Makes me wonder what that 6/1 money may be earmarked for...

I actually do like the MVS signing, but it probably takes a big WR move off the table for this year.

Re-visit Justin Simmons..  Wait and see how Von looks this Summer and maybe go after Clowney? 

I doubt we're rolling it over to next year.  We're fine cap-wise after this season and have heavy draft capital to improve the team next year as well. 

2 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Thank you, Barley.  Honestly I didn't know that an it makes a difference.

Again, I would rather be in this cap position than on the opposite end, but I saw initial reports...even from Spotrac that had us in a much better situation.  

...and then it just sort of changed.

No problem. Yes. Fifth year option salaries are fully guaranteed so Rousseau will be on the books next season for $13.4. Some other things impact future cap space. For example, if less than a full roster was under contract for the future year then space will decrease as it fills up. Another thing that happens is that roster moves - like post June 1st cuts - that impact future years shake out. The Bills won’t have much space going into next offseason, but they will be able to create some. How much will depend in large part on how much cash the Bills are willing to spend. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Makes me wonder what that 6/1 money may be earmarked for...

I actually do like the MVS signing, but it probably takes a big WR move off the table for this year.

Re-visit Justin Simmons..  Wait and see how Von looks this Summer and maybe go after Clowney? 

I doubt we're rolling it over to next year.  We're fine cap-wise after this season and have heavy draft capital to improve the team next year as well. 

I like the idea of trying to snag Simmons if not then get one of the older DE similar to what we did with Floyd