$23 million in CAP in 2025 if no more moves as of 5/14

On 5/14/2024 at 3:01 AM, transplantbillsfan said:

Anyone complaining about CAP space next year...

Overthecap projects us at $14m next season.

If Buffalo rolls over the Tre White extension without doing anything with it next month minus paying the rookie class we get about $9m.

Plus everyone thinks we're cutting Von next offseason... if we do we get $8.5m in CAP savings.

Over $31m in CAP space right there.

Plus... could still easily restructure Oliver, Taron and Josh for a lot more money.

And as far as FA go... the big one is really only Spencer Brown.

Beane has set this team up for the future!

OTC surprisingly seems to have us right up against the cap on its 2025 page today (412k under)... not sure what changed, b/c I saw 14m with them using the same ceiling after the Rousseau signing.

That said, they are using a 2025 cap that is bizarrely, unrealistically low (an increase of a few million from 2024 when it's expected to go up 20-25m), so it's likely they have a bit more than that 14m in reality. 

• Agree 1

On 5/15/2024 at 11:02 AM, thurst44 said:

Our QB is hardly a slouch and I'm not going to predict Kelce levels for Kincaid, but he's promising as a top 5 TE and possible first option and we have a better TE2 and better pass-catching RBs. 

We also don't know how the WRs will play this year. Diggs and Davis were doing very little during the drive to the AFC East lead. Yes, Diggs was drawing coverage, but even there, one of the Cover 1 creators cited a stat where the team had a better EPA when Diggs was not on the field. The WR room may not be bad, just different. There seems to be a plan to me: add some upside tall receivers, a speedy WR who was one of the top with separation. Both FA period WR signings had their best season under Brady. It portends to be a very different and interesting offense. Or you could be right. But dismissing it out of hand is not painting the whole picture.

I get what you are saying - just concerned that the Bills didn’t do enough at WR.  Like you said we’ll have to wait and see what happens

On 5/14/2024 at 10:57 PM, DapperCam said:

I don’t really understand the people hoping to light future cap on fire to make the team marginally better this season.

The defense opening day is going to look 50% different than opening day last season, and a lot of the holes are being filled with youth. It’s a retool year, and not a year to push all of our chips in.

Do you really want to be the Saints? Letting good vets go every offseason because they have to do cap gymnastics?

If it were a "re-tool" year then Douglas, Jones and Von Miller wouldn't still be here.    And Milano probably gets cut too.

Those guys are all one-and-done most likely so keeping them around would be pointless if they weren't trying to win a SB.

The "re-tool" year concept is just a coping mechanism created by a few homer's to help them deal with losing their beloved Tre White, Poyer, Hyde and Mitch Morse.    

The reality is those guys were just washed or equally viable, younger and cheaper alternatives to what they had left were readily available or within reach.  

The Bills aren't sacrificing this year anymore than the Chiefs were sacrificing 2022.   

It may inadvertently turn into a failure of a season but it's not by design.

On 5/14/2024 at 8:53 PM, SCBills said:

I don’t know that we make a trade, but I 100% think he’s using some of it one of the positions you just outlined. 

I think they’ll monitor Von and see what he looks like .. and if need be, make a call to Ogbah, Clowney etc.  

Could also see depth a CB.  

Trade for a WR or a signing like Justin Simmons are what I’d want, but think are unlikely.  

Clowney signed a 2 year deal with Carolina earlier in free agency.

The pass rush move to look out for is a trade deadline deal for Khalil Mack.

He is a pending UFA and has one of those league-minimum type cap hits designed to make him valuable at the deadline if things go south for the Chargers.  

I suspect one of the contenders is going to get Mack for the stretch run.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

If it were a "re-tool" year then Douglas, Jones and Von Miller wouldn't still be here.    And Milano probably gets cut too.

Those guys are all one-and-done most likely so keeping them around would be pointless if they weren't trying to win a SB.

The "re-tool" year concept is just a coping mechanism created by a few homer's to help them deal with losing their beloved Tre White, Poyer, Hyde and Mitch Morse.    

The reality is those guys were just washed or equally viable, younger and cheaper alternatives to what they had left were readily available or within reach.  

The Bills aren't sacrificing this year anymore than the Chiefs were sacrificing 2022.   

It may inadvertently turn into a failure of a season but it's not by design.

It makes zero sense to cut Von Miller, retool year or not with the dead cap it would incur. He also took a voluntary pay cut. As for Jones and Douglas, they are on pretty reasonable short term contracts (1 year for Douglas, 2 years for Jones) so I don't really think that is relevant to your argument. They do need to have some actual players on the roster to field a team.

The point is, this year isn't the year to pretend the cap isn't real like the Saints and Rams and just blow through it like a credit card by pulling every cap lever at Beane's disposal (restructures, void year, etc). I'm pretty sure Beane literally said something like that (we need to build for now and the future).

FWIW, I'm glad those older guys are gone as I agree they were washed (except maybe Morse). But as a result, this season we will have young players in starter roles. It will be a growth/development year. The Chiefs won the SB during their retool/cap reset year, and there is no reason we can't also as long as we have Allen.

Edited by DapperCam

On 5/14/2024 at 3:24 PM, MR8 said:

Not how it works... Honestly a new deal helps the bills because we have been restructuring his deal to create space year over year.  His $60M in 25 is a boat anchor cap wise, and $59 in 26 is just as bad.  If they restructure in 25 to alleviate some of that pressure, it kicks to the next years again.

'25 isn't when they "have to" make something work, they can easily kick the can in '25 and worry about it all in '26. That's the beauty of having him with 4 more years still. But now is when you consider being proactive so you can lock up your franchise QB longer, while structuring the deal to give you 4-5 more years or flexibility rather than just year to year can kicking.

Doesn't have to be done, but it's worth considering for sure.

And to your silly headline point of "he can get a new contract when he gets a ring", what are we gonna do, let him walk in 2029 if he doesn't?? Lol

Allen is physically the best most impressive QB in the NFL.  Mahomes is better because he wins, but Allen is right there with what he can do on the football field. He's easily the best in franchise history, and his pooping on NFL records along the way.  Dude is already on track for all timer and HOF if his career stays on this trajectory.  Yes we a want a SB or 8, but that doesn't detract from how amazing he is. 

Remember, Manning was drafted in '98 and didn't win a SB til 2006... He's still top 3 QBs ever.  Josh is young and has at least a decade left in him, plenty of time for at least one SB.

Acting like he isn't worth a contract because he doesn't have a ring is just plain stupid and simplistic.

I really hope your right about Allen having a decade left in him . I can see another 3-4 good yrs then the Cam Newton type decline kicking in due to injuries. 

22 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

I really hope your right about Allen having a decade left in him . I can see another 3-4 good yrs then the Cam Newton type decline kicking in due to injuries. 

That's certainly not impossible, but Allen's passing is significantly better than Newton's ever was.

Josh is also really good at pocket movement in the non-athletic sense, just stepping in the right direction  with his eyes downfield. He doesn't do it every time, but overall he's pretty damn good at it. That skill should help to stand him in good stead when he begins to slow as he ages.

We'll see. It's something to keep an eye on, no question.

On 5/15/2024 at 8:10 AM, thurst44 said:

OTC surprisingly seems to have us right up against the cap on its 2025 page today (412k under)... not sure what changed, b/c I saw 14m with them using the same ceiling after the Rousseau signing.

That said, they are using a 2025 cap that is bizarrely, unrealistically low (an increase of a few million from 2024 when it's expected to go up 20-25m), so it's likely they have a bit more than that 14m in reality. 

I saw that, too.  Some other curious 2025 numbers...

Fins are $11,000,000 over the cap.

Jets are $58,000,000 under.

Pats are $113,000,000 under!

10 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

That's certainly not impossible, but Allen's passing is significantly better than Newton's ever was.

Josh is also really good at pocket movement in the non-athletic sense, just stepping in the right direction  with his eyes downfield. He doesn't do it every time, but overall he's pretty damn good at it. That skill should help to stand him in good stead when he begins to slow as he ages.

We'll see. It's something to keep an eye on, no question.

It's the wear and tear I'm more worried about like Cam and Russ just after a certain amount of hits your body doesn't react well too longivety. Hopefully Allen ages like Elway or Big Ben 

22 minutes ago, DJB said:

Dead cap is not good to have year in and year out.  Beane took the big hit this year and will have an average one next year.

Should be just over $30M or so (half being Von Miller).

Bills fans just have to hope this (and next years) draft proves good.

On 5/14/2024 at 9:52 AM, Jerboski said:

I like the idea of trying to snag Simmons if not then get one of the older DE similar to what we did with Floyd 

has anyone heard about Von's physical status right now?