In the Bills mini-rebuild trading Hamlin to Pittsburg might be the right thing to do.

gjv

23 hours ago, Warcodered said:

People just really have a hard on for getting rid of Hamlin, just obsessed with the idea he's only here because of what happened, the idea he's safety depth is apparently absurd.

Man I'm just glad the young man is alive at this point. Who cares what happens next. 

23 hours ago, gjv said:

It's common knowledge that Pittsburg native Gamar Hamlin grew up a Steelers fan, and has dreamed of wearing the Black and Gold. Sure, I know many NFL players never get the chance to play with their favorite team. But I think Hamlin's case is unique. 

You’re kidding, right? I mean you HAVE to be kidding. No team (NFL, USF, European leagues of the CFL would trade for him. He's not a good football player.

50 minutes ago, Logic said:

Yep. Fully agree with that. I think there's a good chance Hamlin fails to make the roster this year.

I was more so just pointing out the callousness and flippancy of the posts I quoted. You'd think the guy was the worst player to ever suit up in a Bills jersey the way people talk about him. I agree that he's a replacement level guy and may well be cut, but reading some of the comments about him...yikes.

True Bills fans will always realize Damar's role and contributions to this organization.  And they will always root for him, no matter where he ends up.  I'm just glad he's alive to achieve any future goals. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

17 hours ago, MasterStrategist said:

Again, I'm not debating what playing time/facts about how valuable he was LY.  I'm saying we are very likely to keep a 5th safety.  He is cheap, likely improving with a full/normal offseason, and been in the system for multiple years.

What we saw in 2022, and back to his days at Pitt, he is a capable backup.

I'm talking about a pure football standpoint.  His story is/was remarkable, he is a great person too.

But if we're talking purely about who our 5th safety would be, you think it's more likely we sign a vet for that spot- who is likely to be more expensive, riding the pine as well, and less familiar with our scheme?

Hyde aside, who I don't think is signing until mid season (if he even returns), you think we cut Hamlin in preseason for who?

The Bills didn't keep 5 safeties on the roster last year, Cam Lewis is firstly a nickle back who can play safety. They kept 4 with Lewis as position flex. This year they drafted a backup nickle in Hardy who is going to return punts. That means that Lewis likely going to continue to do both and be the 4th safety this year. Hamlin isn't making the team without an injury.

15 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

The Bills didn't keep 5 safeties on the roster last year, Cam Lewis is firstly a nickle back who can play safety. They kept 4 with Lewis as position flex. This year they drafted a backup nickle in Hardy who is going to return punts. That means that Lewis likely going to continue to do both and be the 4th safety this year. Hamlin isn't making the team without an injury.

Fair enough on Cam, but he's the 4th safety.

Agree Hardy has a solid chance to make it, but let's review your 2 points:

1. We didn't keep 5 safeties LY:  well call Cam what you want, but he was our 4th safety.  

Hyde, Poyer, Rapp, Cam, Hamlin was the depth chart

2. Secondary, again call Cam a position less player.  Here is who we kept LY (on original 53):

5 guys above + Tre, Dane, Kaair, Benford, Taron, and Neal= 11 total secondary on the 53

Now, this year:

Rasul, Benford, Elam, Cb4 (outside guy), Taron, Hardy, Edwards, Rapp, Bishop, Cam, and Damar(!)  = again 11

So with your expertise, I'll ask again, who do you think overtakes Damar on the current preseason roster?

On 5/6/2024 at 2:29 PM, Don Otreply said:

The key here is, why would the Steelers want him? 

just sayin, 

I was going to comment…

hes already been through enough. Do we really need to make him suffer even more by trading him to Pittsburgh?

• Thank you (+1) 1

Odds of Buffalo winning a Super Bowl with Hamlin 17.4% 

Odds of Buffalo winning a Super Bowl with Hamlin on Pittsburgh 17.4%

Odds of not caring what they do with Hamlin 100%

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 5/6/2024 at 2:56 PM, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Pittsburgh also has an “h” at the end. 

edit: I believe it is the only Burg in the world with an “h” at the end, if i am recalling correctly.

you forgot Hamburgh…right next to Orchhard Park.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 5/6/2024 at 1:33 PM, gjv said:

It's common knowledge that Pittsburg native Gamar Hamlin grew up a Steelers fan, and has dreamed of wearing the Black and Gold. Sure, I know many NFL players never get the chance to play with their favorite team. But I think Hamlin's case is unique. 

I almost died once… I would, therefore, like to take Hamlin’s place and fulfill my dream of playing for my beloved Buffalo Bills! 

Posted (edited)
On 5/6/2024 at 1:37 PM, benderbender said:

No need to trade. He's going to get cut if Hyde comes back. He's safety 5 at the moment. 

who's 4? if Hyde isn't back..

oh nvm cam lewis back

Edited by JerseyBills