Add 2 Bills draught players in their prime, and add to 2024 Bills roster

Pete

Posted (edited)

1. Bruce Smith (people are nuts taking Schobel over him) 

2. Eric Moulds if "drafted" by the Bills is a criterion

2B. Terrell Owens if there is no "drafted" requirement

Edited by Nephilim17

20 minutes ago, Nephilim17 said:

Drought players. Bruce wasn't part of that. Schobel was. 

It should almost unanimously be Moulds as option 1. The 2nd option gets a bit more cloudy. I think I would go with Mario Williams. The guy was an athletic freak. A 6'6", 295lb man who was almost the perfect blend of athleticism and strength. 2012-2014 he was a beast in our defense. Then came Wrex. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, H2o said:

Drought players. Bruce wasn't part of that. Schobel was. 

It should almost unanimously be Moulds as option 1. The 2nd option gets a bit more cloudy. I think I would go with Mario Williams. The guy was an athletic freak. A 6'6", 295lb man who was almost the perfect blend of athleticism and strength. 2012-2014 he was a beast in our defense. Then came Wrex. 

Oh... poor spelling messed me up.

If it's "drought" era players, I might go Mario too. But I might also take Owens over Moulds, even at that later point in his career.

Edited by Nephilim17
  • Like (+1) 1

Based on our current needs I would choose…

Eric Moulds

Terrence McGee

if I am just going overall best players then…

Jason Peters

Takeo Spikes 

50 minutes ago, Nephilim17 said:

How is Bruce Smith a drought player ? He literally played in all 4 SBs. 

TRUE drought players, meaning never playing in the playoffs are Aaron Schobel and Fred Jackson.

But if you wanna overlap a little, the obvious choices are Moulds and Big Kyle.

But, just give me Eric Moulds in his prime and the Bills already have 2 SB’s in the Josh Allen era.

47 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

How is Bruce Smith a drought player ? He literally played in all 4 SBs. 

I misread the wrongly spelled thread title: "Add 2 Bills draught players in their prime"

I read "draught" as "draft" not "drought" as @H2o later corrected me.

Given my fondness for alcohol and that "draught" and "draft" have the exact same sound, it's not that unreasonable!

If we define drought era players to be someone who played the majority of their Bills career between 2001 - 2016 then it would be Stevie Johnson and Fred Jackson for me.

Would love to see how those guys in their prime operated in an offense run through Josh Allen.

Posted (edited)

For the makeup of the current roster…Lee Evans and Mario Williams.

Although I might actually consider to go all defense as I think it has more question marks and make it Mario and Kyle Williams (or Ted Washington)

Lots of good options though at CB, defensive front 7, RB and WR though.  Could go a lot of ways with this.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

As others have mentioned, I believe that two players that come to mind that never made it to the playoffs during their Bills tenure here -- and would make a huge impact on the current team -- are Aaron Schobel and Lee Evans.

Posted (edited)

I just don’t get the Fred Jackson crowd. He was an above average RB. Shady and Marshawn are both far better.  And if we are talking prime, Spillers 2012 is better than anything Freddie dreamed of. Plus there is already an above average RB on the current team. I know he was likable, but for the purposes of this exercise, there’s no way. 
It’s Mario and TO. 

Edited by todzilla

5 hours ago, todzilla said:

I just don’t get the Fred Jackson crowd. He was an above average RB. Shady and Marshawn are both far better.  And if we are talking prime, Spillers 2012 is better than anything Freddie dreamed of. Plus there is already an above average RB on the current team. I know he was likable, but for the purposes of this exercise, there’s no way. 
It’s Mario and TO. 

I think Fred is woefully underrated by some.  I watched him take handoffs, see no hole whatsoever, and still make a positive play.  He led the NFL in Yards After Contact in 2011 with a YAC of 3.75.  To put that in context, Christian McCaffrey had 2.2 YAC last year.  No 2023 qualifier surpassed 2.7.  It's easy to gain yards as RB when you have gaping holes to run through.  Freddy was given lemons and made lemonade.  

Additionally, he was an all-around back who could catch out of the backfield and blocked really well.  Obviously, he was also a high motor guy.  When you combine skill set and effort, Jackson was a very good back.  

FYI...

image.thumb.png.e0601a3f0fec389b224fd1d88e68e8ab.png

As of right now I would go for Moulds and Schobel, because I think both bring strength to one of the weaker parts of the current roster. 

If things change during the off season I could easily change this. If you asked during the playoffs last year I would be looking at 2 of the better LBs, the year before would be a couple of DBs. It will change year-on-year.

17 hours ago, todzilla said:

It’s Mario and TO. 

Spiller was pure garbage. Just another ill advised draft pick. He had a few good games but he couldn't block, was not a good receiver, and he barely knew what direction to run.

• Agree 1

On 5/4/2024 at 8:55 AM, Your Brown Eye said:

Takeo Spikes

Mario Williams

I could be convinced for Lee Evans over Williams.

Could agree on this.

Spikes may not be on the field every down. London Fletcher, however would be nice.

If not this two:

Terrell Owens (in his prime, not the Bills prime)

Jarius Byrd in his prime

On 5/4/2024 at 10:19 AM, Kirby Jackson said:

If it is the player in their prime (even if it wasn’t with the Bills) it is TO and Mario Williams. If it is their prime had to be with the Bills Moulds and Mario. 

No one else but me mentioning Byrd. I am surprised you didn't.

In this defense having a Jairus Byrd is probably bigger than having a MW who took plays off.

• Like (+1) 1