Seems like the Bills are building a WRer room full of large hardnose WRer's that can block.

gjv

13 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Ah, I'll take Aiyuk from the SF WR room, please. I won't be so furious if Beane pulls that off.

I mean, if he can do that this offseason would be a coup. I know Beane has downplayed it, but there was so little cap space waiting until June 1st would have been a necessity even if SF is taking some salary

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

I think the bills wide receiver room Is filled with a lot of good golfers! Claypool supposedly can play too. 

while I say this mostly as a joke, I do wonder if there is something to Josh wanting guys he can golf with and hang with! As a golf enthusiast myself, I can see the temptation in that. 

Edited by Miyagi-Do Karate

2 hours ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

I know not everyone will like this idea, but I have a feeling that in the wake the changes and knowing that we might need a reshuffle year that Brady and McDermott are looking at the builds that Johnson and Shanahan did with less skilled QBs. Shanahan made his bones as a TE heavy attack, and moved to condensed formations (that Brady used) for two purposes:

https://www.mercurynews.com/2024/02/07/why-the-49ers-use-this-type-of-formation-more-than-anyone/

A) To limit the safety shell coverage and 

B) Prevent off the line jams to get his WRs free

Any of that sound familiar?

Ohhhh noooo, the Bills no longer have a top 5 WR and so they are using the system that made Brock Purdy an MVP candidate. I can see why people are furious about it,

They have Deebo, Aiyuk, McCaffery, Kittle, and Juszczyk. They are hardly lacking talent at the skill positions. 

• Agree 1

I was thinking about how this offseason feels like it could be a different version of what the bills did in 89.   For those not old enough to remember, the Bills had some success in the late 80s, making it to the AFC Championship in 88 and then losing a divisional game against the Browns the following year in 89.  It was late in that 89 season/playoffs that the Bills discovered their K-gun offense.  That Browns game ended with a Ronnie Harmon drop in the end zone.  He criticized Kelly's throw and that offseason he was moved.  They came back the next year with the new offensive mentality and lit the league on fire.

We have had some success.  Towards the end of this season and into our playoff games we shifted our focus on offense and had a playoff game where we had a skill player drop what could have been a game winning touchdown, who then criticized the QB and was subsequently moved in that off-season.

That year following that 89 loss was the greatest Bills team of the superbowl era.    I can only dream that our 2024 team finishes the job.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

I know not everyone will like this idea, but I have a feeling that in the wake the changes and knowing that we might need a reshuffle year that Brady and McDermott are looking at the builds that Johnson and Shanahan did with less skilled QBs. Shanahan made his bones as a TE heavy attack, and moved to condensed formations (that Brady used) for two purposes:

https://www.mercurynews.com/2024/02/07/why-the-49ers-use-this-type-of-formation-more-than-anyone/

A) To limit the safety shell coverage and 

B) Prevent off the line jams to get his WRs free

Any of that sound familiar?

Ohhhh noooo, the Bills no longer have a top 5 WR and so they are using the system that made Brock Purdy an MVP candidate. I can see why people are furious about it,

Very interesting article. These tight formations under Shanahan were successful even with Purdy who IMHO never should have been considered an MVP candidate, worked. The system worked and it wasn't because Purdy was so great. Just imagine this same kind of system with Allen running it? We all ready saw some of these concepts after Brady took over and the result was excellent considering that Brady didn't even have a preseason to install this system. Defenses will not be able to employ 2 high safeties which means there is always going to be a WR in single coverage.

I think Brady could very well be setting up the best offense in the league. The great thing about this type of offense is that all 11 players are considered a blocker and you can run and pass out of this formation. The defense can't tell pre-snap what is coming. The WRs can run a multitude of different routes and the addition of bigger bodied WRs is definitely by design.  It also aides in running the ball.

It's a really good system that puts stress on a defense and doesn't allow them to diagnose the play and blow it up before it even has a chance to develop. With all 11 players lined up between the hash marks, that's a lot of bodies to go through to get to the QB too. I think Brady might be on to something here.

2 hours ago, H2o said:

They have Deebo, Aiyuk, McCaffery, Kittle, and Juszczyk. They are hardly lacking talent at the skill positions. 

Are you saying our team is lacking in talent?

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 5/3/2024 at 1:32 PM, Warriorspikes51 said:

I'm sure a good portion of that was his own doing....but the teams/situation and QB play also is a factor.

comeback player of the year.  Why not!!! 

I'd be ok with that. Do some car dealership ads, make a sauce, cereal or seltzer....and all while wearing 14. Nothing against Diggs, just sayin.

14 hours ago, eball said:

Chase Claypool ain’t making the team unless he has had a complete epiphany.  The Bills are kicking the tires but he’s a long shot at best.

The biggest difference in the Bills’ WR room is that they are drafting/signing people who don’t drop the ball.

True that and if Beane is bringing Claypool in, I'll expect there was more thought put into it than mine. Give the kid a chance. signed...Plexico Burress.

On 5/3/2024 at 1:40 PM, Warriorspikes51 said:

he has somehow managed to have more receptions in 6 fewer career games than Gabe Davis

Huh?

Evans: 154 games as WR1

Davis:  63 games as WR2

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Buffalo Ballin said:

At this point in their careers, Claypool is just as good as Gabe Davis. He's the perfect replacement.

One guy was voted as a team captain and recognized as the hardest worker on the team. The other was paid to stay home from his team. They improved when he went home. He’s a terrible teammate. 

Claypool had 77 yards and 1 TD last year. For perspective Sherfield had 86 yards and 1 TD. Before you say, “go back further” Claypool had 451 and 1 TD in 2022. Sherfield had 417 yards and 2 TDs. Why are we pretending that this guy is someone that he isn’t?

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

One guy was voted as a team captain and wifey respected as the hardest worker on the team. The other was paid to stay home from his team. They improved when he went home. He’s a terrible teammate. 

Claypool had 77 yards and 1 TD last year. For perspective Sherfield had 86 yards and 1 TD. Before you say, “go back further” Claypool had 451 and 1 TD in 2022. Sherfield had 417 yards and 2 TDs. Why are we pretending that this guy is someone that he isn’t?

I agree. I like this actually as a punt. But nobody should be under any illusions that is what it is. It is a punt on someone with some physical talent who for reasons other than height, speed, athelticism is in the last chance saloon with his NFL career  

On 5/3/2024 at 1:17 PM, SoonerBillsFan said:

Look I get it, Fans want splash they want exciting and we tried that with smaller, faster WR's and it didn't work.

I don’t think it’s accurate to say that didn’t work.  The Bills have had one of the top offenses in the league for the last 4 seasons.  They didn’t win a championship, but they were damn good 

7 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I don’t think it’s accurate to say that didn’t work.  The Bills have had one of the top offenses in the league for the last 4 seasons.  They didn’t win a championship, but they were damn good 

But we were increasingly predictable and Diggs got tossed like a rag doll.  We got hit with Man Coverage more than anyone at the end of the year and during the playoffs. We are making moves to counter that.  

28 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

But we were increasingly predictable and Diggs got tossed like a rag doll.  We got hit with Man Coverage more than anyone at the end of the year and during the playoffs. We are making moves to counter that.  

I’m not saying you’re wrong, but I think Diggs either was hurt, had some issue interfering with his play or is losing it due to age.  I don’t think that the idea of fast, quick high quality route runners is expiring.  Now, I’ve no issue with adding a bigger receiver to the room to add diversity to the attack, but they may be going too far.

50 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I’m not saying you’re wrong, but I think Diggs either was hurt, had some issue interfering with his play or is losing it due to age.  I don’t think that the idea of fast, quick high quality route runners is expiring.  Now, I’ve no issue with adding a bigger receiver to the room to add diversity to the attack, but they may be going too far.

Kincaid, Shakir and Samuel are underneath separators.  Coleman is not that.  Having that as a prominent role they need someone behind him.  Imo Hollins is the Sherfield or kumerow spot.  Special teamer but offers something as a wr.  Claypool, Shorter and Shavers are battling for a spot behind Coleman.