Where do you see this OL in a couple years?

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Grable is still a work in progress but he is pretty experienced. He has 43 college starts at left tackle. Okay they were at Jacksonville State and UCF but I think he could be in the mix for a starting role in 2025 if they can keep him and develop him. My bigger question is how he translates to the right side. 

I see him on the PS for the year or poached 

13 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

A couple of years out?

LT- Dawkins

LG- McGovern

C- Van Pran

RG- Torrence

RT- Who knows (I think Spencer Brown gets transition tagged then is traded or gone)

A couple (two) years out -- that looks right, unless one of the starters gets seriously injured, or Van Pran doesn't work out. 

Four years out, we'll have a new left tackle and possibly a new left guard. 

Beyond that it's impossible to speculate.

A couple of years out?

LT- Dawkins

LG- McGovern

C- Van Pran

RG- Torrence

RT- Who knows (I think Spencer Brown gets transition tagged then is traded or gone)

I think this lineup is close, but I think Dawkins is gone in a couple of years due to age.  We may keep Spencer Brown or draft a replacement.  Hopefully one of the Ts we have now can become a starter, although we likely need to draft a Rd. 1-2 guy in 2025 or 2026 for the LT side.  

14 hours ago, BuffaloBillies said:

Not world-beaters, but slightly better than average. With Josh and our RBs, that seems to be adequate for now. Would like one/couple no-doubt monsters ready to fill in next year or two. 

I think last year's O line was the best the Bills have had for many years.  Maybe that's still slightly better than average, or maybe it's better than that, but it was quite solid last year.  Cook's rushing numbers are evidence.  (But don't forget our O lineman playing WR, Gabe Davis.  We'll miss his downfield blocks this year.)

• Like (+1) 1

The big re-signing debate to come is Spencer Brown.

we had to extend Dawkins for cap relief, so it will be interesting to see what Brown gets after last season. If he maintains that level of play and remains healthy, he may be the highest paid RT on the market next season. 

I think it’s between him and Rousseau for big money extensions, and imo I’d take Brown.

A couple of years out?

LT- Dawkins

LG- McGovern

C- Van Pran

RG- Torrence

Brown would have to get way better this year to get a transition tag. I don’t see it happening. Our best hope is a compensatory pick a year after he is gone….

1 hour ago, Aussie Joe said:

I see him on the PS for the year or poached 

He won't get through a year on the PS. I am pretty sure on that. If they want to keep him they need to find a way to get him on the roster. Even if he makes it the the PS at cutdowns he wont last there for the year.

I think Dawkins will be gone and replaced by a 1st round rookie. Out of the interior guys, Torrence is the most likely to remain with the team on his rookie contract. Spencer Brown is facing a make-or-break season and will only be extended if he can stay healthy and improve his pass protection.

Rookie

?

Van Pran-Granger?

Torrence

Brown?

I heard former OL Brian Baldinger repeat this yesterday…

(No surprise) that he said that when you draft your franchise qb, you get him all the help you can. 

Rather than make a prediction, I hope in the next few years the ‘get him all the help you can’ part becomes the #1 priority here.

In 2026 I see Torrence, McGovern and Van Pran as the interior trio. McGovern will be 29 (and I think likely signs a second contract), and Van Pran and Torrence will still be on their rookie deals. 

Tackle is harder, Brown will be a free agent after this season and Dawkins will be age 32 but he will be fairly early into his extension.

I think Dawkins in 2026 at age 32 will be there but they probably will look to replace him with another tackle soon.

So Brown is a possible cap casualty and Dawkins will be heading into his final years but the interior will be hopefully young or prime players. 

I think on the bench they likely hope to keep Van Denmark and Anderson, maybe Edwards sticks around as a high end backup but he may seek playing opportunities elsewhere after 2025. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

He won't get through a year on the PS. I am pretty sure on that. If they want to keep him they need to find a way to get him on the roster. Even if he makes it the the PS at cutdowns he wont last there for the year.

Well..regardless ..back to my original point …

He won’t be the starting tackle for the Bills come 2025… they had an opportunity to draft a guy that could have been ..

Edited by Aussie Joe
  • Agree 1

If by a couple years you mean 2026

LT - TBD - it will be a second year player drafted in first or second round of 2025

LG - McGovern or TBD

C - kid from Georgia.  I will learn his name when he makes the 53

RG - two time ProBowl Torrence 

RT - Brown 

If Brown stays healthy,  Bills will have top 3 RG/RT combo in the league

5 hours ago, FireChans said:

I think it’s between him and Rousseau for big money extensions, and imo I’d take Brown.

I'm leaning towards neither unless Rousseau finally hits his ceiling this year. We can't afford a mid-tier EDGE rusher who will probably get paid $10M+ and I don't think RT is important enough to give out a massive contract extension. I would let both walk and use the resulting savings to pay for a true difference making EDGE, and hopefully it will go better than the last time we tried that.

• Like (+1) 1