Top Remaining Free Agents of Interest

ngbills

I don’t believe there will be any big additions to the roster this year.  If any, it will be low money guys. I could see Shaq back, along with Hyde.  Other than that, Beane knows there are some limitations to our roster, but he is serious about the cap this year and will hit the field with guys he has on the current roster. 

Next year will be different with this years cap purge.  But expect us not to spend like drunken sailors to keep the cap under control. For years to come.

12 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

That's probably true.  But is this a Super Bowl roster?  

If the Bills traded for a top WR or had drafted one of the top 3 in this draft they definitely would be a favorite. Even as they stand now they have the 4th highest odds. 

• Like (+1) 1

DE and WR still make the most sense.  I think if we do sign a CB, it won't be anyone significant, just bc likely a CB4 on roster.

At DE, Ogbah would be a nice vet likely wouldn't break the bank.  Give us another run stopping/a little juice in pass rush.  Toohill/Solomon/Kingsley concern me from a run stopping standpoint, as a DE4.

At WR, MVS or Chark would be awesome.  We just need a backup vet/someone who could fill that depth boundary role who can also be a downfield threat.  Just depends on price and truly what Beane thinks of Shorter/Hamler/Shavers/Cephus.  All those guys are big question marks for various reasons.  MVS or Chark immediately slot in as a WR3/4 type.

I don't expect any other positions are focused on, given the holes already filled in FA and draft.

13 hours ago, Cash said:

In order of my preference:

1. Odell Beckham Jr - His last 2 stops have been highly successful (except for the injuries) as a mercenary receiver.  Dude will be an injury risk for the rest of his career I think, but he can still play.  And it's hard to go wrong with a guy who likely would've won a Super Bowl MVP if he didn't get hurt.  I would have no problem with him mentoring Coleman, also.  This is the only guy worth spending the Tre White money on, IMO.
  2. DJ Chark - I liked him a lot coming into the draft, and he did have some early production in Jacksonville.  Size/speed guy who hasn't fully put it together, but also hasn't played with a QB nearly as good as Allen.
  3. Michael Thomas - His injury history makes Beckham look like Cal Ripken Jr.  I don't think he'll ever play a full season again.  But he's a guy who has been ELITE, and he showed some real flashes of his old self at times last season.  He also disappeared a lot last season, but I'm not sure how much of that was because his relationship with the Saints was completely broken a couple years ago.  On a 1 year deal, could he be both healthy and fully bought in?

Gallup was the only other guy that interested me, and according to this thread he's off the market.  1 year, $3 million is about what I'd offer Chark or Thomas.  Beckham will ask for (and get) significantly more than that.

No matter what, I'll be super interested to see how the Bills spend the June 1st money.  I'll be shocked if they don't sign someone with a decent chunk of it.  But they could split it on maybe 2 Gallup-level signings, or put it all towards a bigger Beckham or Leonard Floyd-style signing, maybe with the help of void years.  I think who they DON'T sign will be just as telling as who they do.

I agree with your comments re WRs, provided that it won't be for more than $3M.

I disagree with the bolded though. We can't use decent chunk of it, if by "chunk" you mean more than $5M. We will need cap space for signing rookies, 52/53 player, practice squad a keep some space for in season moves. That  is total of  $8-10M or so.

12 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

That's probably true.  But is this a Super Bowl roster?  

We had SB roster last 3 years and it didn't help us. Maybe we get lucky this year and win with worse roster (if it is worse).

I don't have a problem with Dupree, but an extremely short-armed edge guy is really not their style. Carl Lawson is also a t-rex guy. Ogbah is the best scheme fit for what they like IMO if you want an edge player. 

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

I agree with your comments re WRs, provided that it won't be for more than $3M.

I disagree with the bolded though. We can't use decent chunk of it, if by "chunk" you mean more than $5M. We will need cap space for signing rookies, 52/53 player, practice squad a keep some space for in season moves. That  is total of  $8-10M or so.

That's more or less what I meant by "chunk", yeah.  The idea being that we have some money left over after accounting for rookies, all 53 on the roster, and practice squad.  The Bills could elect to save all of that money for in-season signings or trades, or they could spend some or most of it.  (Can't spend all of it, because you do have to leave some in case an AJ Klein situation happens.)  I'd be suprised if they don't spend at least a significant portion of what they have available to spend.  And notably, they could lay out more actual money than they have cap space, if they're willing to do a deal with void years.  That's the only way they'd be able to sign OBJ, because I can't see him taking $5mil or less.

13 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

That's great that you think that. But that's not how the NFL works. It's like a fan saying they think a Guard can be converted to a Tackle, or a Nickel can be converted to a Boundary CB, a DT can be a Pass Rusher, a CB can be a Safety, etc.

Tyler Boyd has taken 81% of his total career snaps out of the Slot. And that's a swayed number as he did it a lot more in earlier seasons before they realized he wasn't suited for the role and has exclusively worked and succeeded from the Slot ever since.

He's even more of a Slot than Samuel is. Shakir is not an Outside WR either. Everyone wants to say he can play the role, but when we put him there in a pinch in the Playoffs when we were thin - he didn't produce.

He did it earlier because they have Higgins and Chase now. So Boyd was pushed down the depth chart.

19 hours ago, TheWeatherMan said:

I would assume Simmons is off the list with our 2nd round pick.  A veteran CB like Howard or Peterson would be nice as would Lawson or Ngakoue as a situational rusher. 

Shaq Lawson😶

On 4/29/2024 at 2:09 PM, Virgil said:

If we weren't so stacked at the slot, I would be interested in Boyd and Renfrow.  Although, Renfrow did seem to fall off a cliff and I'm not sure if that's just a factor of being a Raider.

I'd be good with Yannick and Hyde on one year vet min deals

Boyd was a starting outside receiver before they drafted Higgins.

As we get closer to July, only 2months away, the better chance that some of these guys will be willing to accept a 1 year deal for less.

Only 2 i see that i may bring in are Mika & Campbell . In a rotation i think Campbell could be dangerous & Mika could help the younger guys acclimate to their new positions and he could also be a rotational player to help out on the field .

On 4/29/2024 at 4:38 PM, TheWeatherMan said:

I would assume Simmons is off the list with our 2nd round pick.  A veteran CB like Howard or Peterson would be nice as would Lawson or Ngakoue as a situational rusher. 

I have kind of thought they are going to sign a vet CB also, but I think if they can get Thomas or Davis for relatively low cap they bring one in.