This Will Be The Make Or Break Year For This Regime

H2o

1 hour ago, Beast said:

How Many Super Bowls did Bill Belichick win? I forgot.

6 as a HC, 2 as a DC. 

If you recall, his defense actually gave top tier QBs problems. The top QBs of the era had some of their worst games against BB and the Patriots in the playoffs, when it mattered most. 

Another way to phrase that is Belichick's defenses were actually effective once the playoffs and multiple super Bowls came around, whereas McDermott's defenses melt under the spotlight. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

What’s funny is the expectations we place on McDermott and Beane are because of what they’ve built.

Some fans don’t realize that. It’s Super Bowl or bust because of McDermott and Beane. They didn’t get here when things were great and just continued it. 

They definitely deserve a reload season. 

You think any of us can ask for for money or benefits based on previous accomplishments? 

3 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Their employment with the Bills is totally Josh Allen's call at this point.

Even that's an issue. It's not like Josh is the type to throw his HC under the bus. 

14 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

6 as a HC, 2 as a DC. 

If you recall, his defense actually gave top tier QBs problems. The top QBs of the era had some of their worst games against BB and the Patriots in the playoffs, when it mattered most. 

Another way to phrase that is Belichick's defenses were actually effective once the playoffs and multiple super Bowls came around, whereas McDermott's defenses melt under the spotlight. 

You’re totally moving the goalposts.

17 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Their employment with the Bills is totally Josh Allen's call at this point.

which is to say its as safe as can be

imo allen's 10x more likely to ask for a trade than ask for new coaches/FO

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, TH3 said:

Nah…They are in contention for a SB every year as long as 17 BB and Mcd are around. A lot of words though

Yes!  We'll be in contention every year for the foreseeable future and that's GREAT!

We know Brandon Beane can build a Top 5 team in the NFL.  But can he get our roster over the top?

This being draft season, I can't help but go back and look at his previous classes.  Lots of good starters.  Very few complete misses.  Usually goes into the season with few weaknesses and strong depth.  But at the same time... so few impact players.  Outside of Josh Allen, most of our All-Pro talent was not drafted by Beane.  Stefon Diggs (trade), Matt Milano (previous regime), Von Miller, Jordan Poyer, Micah Hyde (free agents).

We also know that Sean McDermott can lead this team to division championships, and consistently field a Top 5 defense.  But everything seems to fall apart come playoff time.  His coverage and pressure packages don't seem to work when it counts.

I'm definitely not the person who likes calling for firings.  And I truly believe that Beane/McDermott can get the job done.  But to do so, something needs to change in their approach, strategy, etc.  They need to break out of their comfort zone.  This team is spinning its wheels, and the same old approach year after year just isn't getting it done.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, starrymessenger said:

I think the Bills are one player away from being strong championship contenders. That player is B. Aiyuk imo. If the Chiefs or Philly thought that they were one player away and the guy was out there I think they would aggressively pursue him. 
The Bills need a proven veteran WR. Where are they going to get him? It won't be in the draft. So it's got to be a FA. Why wait until next year.

Do it now if you can make it work after Tre's number comes off.. It would be very expensive both contractually and in next year's draft pick(s) but it won't be cheaper next year.

Of course maybe the Bills don't feel that they are one player away given the number of changes on both sides of the ball. That would perhaps explain why they would rather look to give new players time to settle into the system and their roles in it. But even then a guy like Aiyuk would be better in 2025 having already played a year in the O. 
Maybe SF is really not interested in moving Aiyuk, regardless of the offer. They may want another year with him as their WR draft picks settle in. If he is available though I wouldn't be surprised if Beane made a move for him. I think Beane's got it in him to do that.

SF is trying to win a SB. Aiyuk was only going to be traded if they could've drafted his replacement. Maybe Pearsall can be that guy, but I doubt SF is moving him before they see if the rook can fill his role.

I don't think this braintrust wants to put all their eggs in the trade for a WR and pay him top dollar basket again. I think they will look to get a top rookie next draft if they can pull it off...which they should since they have two second rounders to go along with their first in 2025.

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

What’s funny is the expectations we place on McDermott and Beane are because of what they’ve built.

Some fans don’t realize that. It’s Super Bowl or bust because of McDermott and Beane. They didn’t get here when things were great and just continued it. 

Grateful for what they've done to this point. But that doesn't give them an eternal license to come up short.

If they don't make more progress this year, we should try another route.

• Like (+1) 2

42 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:
27 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

which is to say its as safe as can be

imo allen's 10x more likely to ask for a trade than ask for new coaches/FO

Even that's an issue. It's not like Josh is the type to throw his HC under the bus. 

I think we attribute things to Josh Allen that we want him to be..........but should probably know better than to presume.  We've already had to back off the idea that he was going to work tirelessly like Tom Brady to be the best..........or that he wouldn't let his personal life affect his play on the field in a playoff game etc..   

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

another one?

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, BeastMaster said:

SF is trying to win a SB. Aiyuk was only going to be traded if they could've drafted his replacement. Maybe Pearsall can be that guy, but I doubt SF is moving him before they see if the rook can fill his role.

I don't think this braintrust wants to put all their eggs in the trade for a WR and pay him top dollar basket again. I think they will look to get a top rookie next draft if they can pull it off...which they should since they have two second rounders to go along with their first in 2025.

I haven’t checked out what next year’s WR class looks like. Generally, especially WRs, even rooks who you hit on still need a couple of years development. This year was a little unusual in that probably the top three guys are plug and play. I think they will have to pay a FA this year or next to try and make the best use of Allen’s window.

Yes I can certainly see where SF would want another year with Aiyuk if they are not extending him. I do think that Beane will sign a pricey FA WR this year or next. Of course maybe Brady and Josh perform miracles but i’m not counting on it.

40 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I think we attribute things to Josh Allen that we want him to be..........but should probably know better than to presume.  We've already had to back off the idea that he was going to work tirelessly like Tom Brady to be the best..........or that he wouldn't let his personal life affect his play on the field in a playoff game etc..   

I don't think Josh is a highly assertive cut throat communicator. He is more of a roll with the punches type. I think he is likely somebody who will keep to himself unless the situation becomes intolerable.  It's actually hilarious to me that people would think Allen would throw McD under the bus or ask Terry to move on. That's just not who he is and it has nothing to do with me thinking he is some sort of noble person. Maybe he is but he's mostly non confrontational off the field. It would be like him asking to fire his dad. That is the last person Allen is stepping up and creating conflict with.  

8 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

I dont disagree and that is sad

I couldn’t agree more, expectations are going to be lower, but they should never be lower with Allen at QB. They’ve only lowered because the roster has been mismanaged. It takes time for poor decisions to catch up to a franchise. The overpaid veteran players and plethora of average defensive linemen picks have finally caught up with us. The regime talks like this is an act of nature due to aging veterans, but it’s really weak early round draft picks over the years that hurt us. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, H2o said:

We have all seen how things unfolded the last few years. A dismantling in the AFC Championship game by KC, 13 Seconds, the flop against Cincy, and then the recreation of Wide Right. McDermott has had friction with multiple coaches because he can't stop meddling. We've had 3 OC's the last 3 years. Frazier was sent packing, McDermott officially took over the defense, and now Babich is going to be "running" things. We've had some questionable draft choices when there seemed to be better options at the time, usually involving selecting defensive players. Now, because of the way they tried to build this squad, and the unnecessary drama, we are in what Beane calls a "transition" phase. 

People love to talk about 2017, how we handed KC Mahomes. Beane wasn't here for that though. It was strictly a McDermott draft based off of the work Whaley and his scouts had done. That draft brought us White, Dawkins, and Milano. If not for the injuries that have derailed White's career, we could talk about the entire situation in a different manner. You can't deny that, right now, Mahomes is on his way to staking a claim at GOAT status. It is what it is. Now fast forward to 2024. Knowing what Allen needed, what this team needed, they traded with KC. With the situation that has unfolded with Rashee Rice, you have to believe KC was looking at WR. They take the WR with the fastest recorded 40 of all time. Me, personally, Worthy doesn't scare me. Yes, he's fast. But he has had some drops and the guy is lighter than my 16 year old at 165lbs. Let him get out there to get squared up by some of these LB's and S's who outweigh him by 30lbs-70lbs. I just don't think he's built to last in this league. I don't see him as Tyreek Hill 2.0 at all. Tyreek is 25lbs heavier than him and is a 4.2 guy in pads, as well as on the track. Still, if I am wrong, the Bills FO just handed KC a guy who will give us fits for years to come. It will be another black eye on this organization from something McDermott, and this time Beane, had hands in. 

The "run it back" mentality has bit them this time. Because we were so close in the 13 seconds game, they developed this "run it back" type of mentality. Sure, we changed a player here or there, but many of the pieces have been the same squad since then. The weight is always, squarely, on Josh's shoulders. People try to use KC as a comparison and say look at what they were able to achieve without big name WR's, or whatever else. Well, KC has Mahomes, Andy Reid scheming the offense for Mahomes (probably THE largest difference), one of the greatest TE's ever to play the game, has typically had a top tier OL, a REALLY good defense littered with talent across the board, and a DC in Spagnuolo who has been a part of 4 SB winning defenses. Gabe never developed, Edmunds never developed, Von's knee, Poyer got old, Hyde's neck injury, White constantly on IR, constantly cycling out JAG's to fill holes, constantly rolling with meh WR's (outside of Diggs, who became more trouble than he was worth), keeping together a middling OL because Josh makes them look better than they actually are, defensive instability, and have changed the guy calling the offense out 3 times in 3 years. Now, on top of that, we find ourselves in Cap purgatory and still no closer to the goal we wish to achieve. 

Going into the 2024 draft, a blind man could see Josh needed weapons on the outside. We had big shoes to fill in Diggs and we needed an upgrade on what Gabe Davis was in this offense. Shakir has shown promise, but he's primarily been used in the Slot. We signed Curtis Samuel, who has primarily been a Slot guy as well. After that we were left with a bunch of JAG's we already had. In the best WR class in at least 10 years, we come away with one WR. I'm not counting the camp fodder UDFA's. We drafted ONE guy. Opinions vary on that one guy. He is truly a boundary WR though. Still, you would have thought this team would have doubled up on boundary guys for the sake of giving their generational talent QB more to work with. Instead they throw all their eggs in one basket by going Safety, DT, and RB with their next 3 selections. Kirby mentioned it in another thread, and I have to concur, that this team looks to have a bottom 5 WR group right now. Until proven otherwise on the field, it is what it is. I think it is a failure, as well as a disservice to JA17, to only have come away with one WR out of this class. This doesn't mean I hate our draft, or grade it an F. I just think it's par for the course we've already seen from this regime, a course that has always seen us come up short.

In the end, I think this year will be the make or break for both Beane and McDermott. To continue to do things the same way and expect different results is madness. If the players they drafted become a foundational youth movement, if you can see the results on the field as to what they were drafted for, if Samuel, Shakir, and Coleman make for a dangerous group, if we can transition on the fly like KC did a couple years ago, and if we didn't just make the KC offense unstoppable again, then they'll be around for a while. But there are A LOT of "if's" in that statement. At some point you have to pull the plug if it's not getting you any closer to what should be the goal of every franchise in professional sports, a championship. We shall see. 

You lose all credibility in the 2nd sentence of this long post: "dismantling of the Bills", "the 13 second game" and 'best' of all, "the recreation of wide right".

Don't let your love of McD get in the way of your objectivity!!

2nd best line: "3 OC's in three years" 

One became a head coach--should he have turned it down just to stay with McD and the Bills? McD then fired Dorsey because he was incompetent and the made the Bills look like a 2nd rate offense that could not score in the first half and regressed rather than improved.  Should McD have let that mess fester more? The only game the Bills lost after Brady took over was an overtime game in which they scored 34 points.  Yet, you lump that in, along with the comical "recreation of wide right", the most negative seminal moment in Bills' history, clearly showing your post is just an irrational diatribe, filled with extremely irrational hate.

Just throwing a bunch of nonsense against the wall, and, yeah, it will stick to the brains of the tiny percentage of like minded Bills' 'fans' on this site. But the vast majority will react to those lines and this post in the same way I did.

The draft, with 100% unproven players in every pick, for every team, is the perfect place for the haters, of course.

• Eyeroll 2

9 hours ago, H2o said:

In the end, I think this year will be the make or break for both Beane and McDermott. To continue to do things the same way and expect different results is madness. If the players they drafted become a foundational youth movement, if you can see the results on the field as to what they were drafted for, if Samuel, Shakir, and Coleman make for a dangerous group, if we can transition on the fly like KC did a couple years ago, and if we didn't just make the KC offense unstoppable again, then they'll be around for a while. But there are A LOT of "if's" in that statement. At some point you have to pull the plug if it's not getting you any closer to what should be the goal of every franchise in professional sports, a championship. We shall see. 

This year is not continuing to do things the same way.

You would have a much stronger case if the Bills didn't make the playoffs last year.  That must have hurt for you.

And of course, the season doesn't start for months, so maybe the roster isn't complete.

I’m not ready to move on from Beane as he’s provided McDermott with a competitive roster. One could argue with a different coach they may have already won a SB. 

While McDermott gets credit for establishing a winning culture and raising expectations, he continues to fail in the playoffs. He’s 5-6 with really one solid win over Baltimore that is his marquee playoff win. As a reminder Lamar got knocked out with a concussion. Most of the playoff wins have come against lower tier QBs. His losses in the playoffs have been gut wrenching and have highlighted his coaching deficiencies against other quality coaches. 

@Jags, @Houston, @KC, home against Cinncy and KC were all very winnable games and yet the Bills under MCDermott found ways to give those games away! My patience and confidence that McDermott can get this team over the hump has greatly diminished. At this point, the excuses have run out and his seat should be getting much warmer.  This season should tell us a lot!

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, DeepPass said:

Yes!  We'll be in contention every year for the foreseeable future and that's GREAT!

What do you mean by "in contention"

4 minutes ago, TFBillsfan said:

While McDermott gets credit for establishing a winning culture

He gets credit for Josh Allen and Brian Daboll controlling a crappy AFC East until Allen could handle that all on his own. 

34 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

I don't think Josh is a highly assertive cut throat communicator. He is more of a roll with the punches type. I think he is likely somebody who will keep to himself unless the situation becomes intolerable.  It's actually hilarious to me that people would think Allen would throw McD under the bus or ask Terry to move on. That's just not who he is and it has nothing to do with me thinking he is some sort of noble person. Maybe he is but he's mostly non confrontational off the field. It would be like him asking to fire his dad. That is the last person Allen is stepping up and creating conflict with.  

You really think Josh Allen views McDermott like his dad?

• Like (+1) 1