Beane literally added a promising draft prospect at every level on both sides of the ball

12 minutes ago, WacArnolds said:

Sure, but the dark side of the reality is you're wasting a year of Josh's prime. Always good to look glass half full and there are longer term reasons for optimism, but let's not bury the lead.

I agree that we are kinda/sorta punting on this season...which is a prime Josh Allen year, but I don't think there's another scenario where this team could've went all out this year without drastically jeopardizing this team's chances for the next few beyond this upcoming...which would be even more detrimental to our chances to win in Josh Allen's prime.

I think we failed to capitalize on the first chapter of the Josh Allen Bills superbowl window, and the best case scenario is to only have one season to reset things and get back to being a true contender.

What Beane has done by dealing Diggs, releasing those older, costlier vets, and now what he's done in the draft should set us up nicely for a quick reload...which you don't see typically when you have a roster such as the one we had.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, BeastMaster said:

I agree that we are kinda/sorta punting on this season...which is a prime Josh Allen year, but I don't think there's another scenario where this team could've went all out this year without drastically jeopardizing this team's chances for the next few beyond this upcoming...which would be even more detrimental to our chances to win in Josh Allen's prime.

I think we failed to capitalize on the first chapter of the Josh Allen Bills superbowl window, and the best case scenario is to only have one season to reset things and get back to being a true contender.

What Beane has done by dealing Diggs, releasing those older, costlier vets, and now what he's done in the draft should set us up nicely for a quick reload...which you don't see typically when you have a roster such as the one we had.

Very balanced take and hard to disagree! Just hard to trust he will do what it takes to put the team over the top this time when it always felt like they just needed another piece or two on offense outside of the 13 seconds year, where they just plain blew it. 

7 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

This is unwarranted. Beane has essentially now given Allen 3 1st round caliber players to throw to. Diggs via trade, Kincaid last year and now Coleman. 

He also signed Beasley in his prime. 

If you want to say he didn’t do it early enough okay I can hear ya but he has given him good ball players to throw to 

Will have to agree to disagree on this one. Diggs he deserves credit for but anyone could see they needed a serious talent infusion at WR. My belief is they've routinely over-invested in defense that has come up woefully short in every single moment that has mattered over the last 3 seasons, and that starts philosophically at the top. 

2 hours ago, BillsDad51 said:

If 5 members of this year's draft class make the roster, that's 5 cost-controlled contracts for 4 years. With the draft capital for 2025, Beane can continue to make the roster younger and stronger. I know people are tired of hearing "wait til next year," but the reload is off to a great start.

This is not a reload. It's a rebuild,  there's a big difference. And as of right now we have no clue how these guys pan out.  Perpetual optimism and "wait till next year" gets old after watching this movie for 55 years.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, KentuckyBillsFan said:

I think 3 years from now this draft class will be a lot of "I can't believe we drafted X when Y was picked a few picks later"

Not to mention we're tied to Worthy if he excells in KC

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

"we may need a game changer or two"

how about 5 ? 

IMO, if Beane does not acquire a high end WR via trade this summer, then the off-season is a failure.

Maybe it will end up working out well during the season....

but at the moment, I'm not sure how the offense is better 

Your obsession with moving heaven and earth for a WR is getting unhealthy.  So unhealthy you can’t even see the talent we have already in Shakir, Kincaid, Samuel and the talent we added in Coleman.  

What are you going to say when this is a top 5 offense again and we have 3 players near or over 1000 yards receiving in Coleman, Shakir, and Kincaid?  

What are you going to say when Coleman has more yards and TDs than 3 to 5 of the WRs drafted ahead of him?

My guess…you’re gonna say the same thing you always say, even when we had Diggs…go mortgage our future with draft picks and cap space to trade for an again vet.  Or you going to say trade our 3 picks in the first 2 rounds for some WR in the draft next year.  

It’s like the only thing you talk about on here.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 2

It was a solid draft. A lot of emotional reactions because people expected us to double dip at WR. That was never happening. We added a lot of young promising depth which we needed. 

I don't like S in Rd 2/RB in Rd 4, but can't hate on those picks too much as they were both areas of needs. 

I like that we're a lot younger and have purged some cap bloat.

I can't evaluate the draft till we see these guys play a lot of real games. Hope Coleman is a difference maker; IF he turns out to be a JAG this draft as a failed opportunity will help usher Beane out the door at some point. Not saying he is a JAG but IF... This draft was THE draft, with added capital from the Diggs trade, to get Josh a bona fide weapon.

Edited by Nephilim17

19 minutes ago, WacArnolds said:

Very balanced take and hard to disagree! Just hard to trust he will do what it takes to put the team over the top this time when it always felt like they just needed another piece or two on offense outside of the 13 seconds year, where they just plain blew it. 

Will have to agree to disagree on this one. Diggs he deserves credit for but anyone could see they needed a serious talent infusion at WR. My belief is they've routinely over-invested in defense that has come up woefully short in every single moment that has mattered over the last 3 seasons, and that starts philosophically at the top. 

I will continuously say this when people bring up the defense. Yea they invest there but it hasn’t just been the defense that has failed the Bills in the playoffs . 

In the 3 Chiefs games specifically

The first year we took an early lead and the better more experienced playoff team overwhelmed them. We gave up 37 yes but the offense was completely shut down in the 2nd half. I might add the Bills offense put up a whopping 10 points in the divisional game against the Ravens

The 2nd year they put up 36 and lost. No one after that year was talking about adding more offense they were talking about coaching and defense blowing it. 

Last year there were blunders in all facets. Bass misses, fake punt gone wrong, offense stalling in the 3rd and a defense ravaged by injuries. Still had a chance to win and couldn’t get it done. 

In 2 out of those 3 games the Chiefs simply made more plays in the clutch than the Bills. 

The Bengals game the Bills got dominated again in both offense and defense including Allen being awful but all anyone talked about was the defense getting gashed which they were. 

They have done everything. Loaded up on offense, loaded up on defense and didn’t matter. Make more plays in the clutch that is how we are going to beat them. 

4 hours ago, Einstein said:

We do have an elite QB, but he is only accounting for 8.5% of the teams cap.

And he accounted for less than 5% the past two seasons when we were also having cap struggles.

As an example of why this excuse holds no water, the Chiefs have an elite QB as well. And have won 3 of the last 5 Super Bowls. Yet they still have over 20 million of cap space.

Another example: The Bengals also have an elite QB. And we’re in the Super Bowl 2 years ago. And have beaten us twice in a row, including one of those times in the playoffs. They have $23 million in cap space.

They’ve been heading for trouble ever since Covid hit and the cap went backwards. Some of it was bad luck. Obv the Von signing didn’t help, but we would’ve been in trouble even without Von which should tell you something.

I think our cap coming into this year is something detractors can justifiably point to as a critique of Beane. There other thing too (e.g. how many top 100ish picks have we spent on backs?). He also did some pretty great things like drafting Josh, trading for Diggs (who was a big part of our cap bind), and rebuilding our lines.

But just looking at what he pulled off to get us under the cap without losing everyone, and then finding potentially six guys in this draft who could be meaningful contributors this year…it’s a win by any objective standard. The only way it’s not a win is if your only criteria is finding a game changing wideout today (and for all we know Coleman might be that guy).

Edited by VW82

50 minutes ago, Einstein said:

We do have an elite QB, but he is only accounting for 8.5% of the teams cap.

And he accounted for less than 5% the past two seasons when we were also having cap struggles.

As an example of why this excuse holds no water, the Chiefs have an elite QB as well. And have won 3 of the last 5 Super Bowls. Yet they still have over 20 million of cap space.

Another example: The Bengals also have an elite QB. And we’re in the Super Bowl 2 years ago. And have beaten us twice in a row, including one of those times in the playoffs. They have $23 million in cap space.

The chiefs traded Hill to get away from a cap bind.  The chiefs have moved players out, but have been flexible with that cap situation via great drafting and cheap FAs.  The bills are emulating that to a degree.

the bengals were worse than the Bills had been for the past decade in 2019-20 when they picked first overall and 5th for chase and burrow.  They are losing Higgins and Hendrickson within the year, and they have benefitted from having those talents on rookie deals.

in fact, you made your own counterpoint in your post.  The Bengals have an elite QB on a rookie deal, which gives them flexibility. They have had two elite WRs on rookie deals, which have given them flexibility.  The Bills have had Allen’s deal active for a few seasons now, and paid Diggs as a true #1.  So I’m not sure what point you are trying to make here.

33 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

maybe Bishop ends up being a stud....but Beane said he would have been okay with moving up for him?  FOR A SAFETY?  Why is that position getting premium value over WR?   We could have easily gotten the same level of prospect in Round 4 

Maybe.  My point is they had 2 holes.  Position priority aside, Poyer and Hyde were the linch pin in of the defense.  Now gone, Mcdermott wanted some of what he lost.  Will he?  Idk. Buffalo sure feels like he is a valuable player for them.  Godd size and speed.  Mcdermott thinks he has the goods for the spot.  Many here flamed Benard in the 3rd and that has turned out great.  

Coleman was their top pick and the guy they take at 28.  Figured out the guys moving up wanted a different player.  Still got their guy and added a 3rd.  I dont understand how they undervalue Wr over safety.  You would need to explain that.  I dont see that being the case. 

1 minute ago, Mat68 said:

Maybe.  My point is they had 2 holes.  Position priority aside, Poyer and Hyde were the linch pin in of the defense.  Now gone, Mcdermott wanted some of what he lost.  Will he?  Idk. Buffalo sure feels like he is a valuable player for them.  Godd size and speed.  Mcdermott thinks he has the goods for the spot.  Many here flamed Benard in the 3rd and that has turned out great.  

Coleman was their top pick and the guy they take at 28.  Figured out the guys moving up wanted a different player.  Still got their guy and added a 3rd.  I dont understand how they undervalue Wr over safety.  You would need to explain that.  I dont see that being the case. 

They traded down for WR and said they would have traded up for the S

24 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

This is not a reload. It's a rebuild,  there's a big difference. And as of right now we have no clue how these guys pan out.  Perpetual optimism and "wait till next year" gets old after watching this movie for 55 years.

They are doing what should have been done after 21 or 22. I think they were too emotional and drained with the Hamlin stuff to make the decision.  Buffalo was old.  All the vets moved were older and the team needed a new approach. The guys that led the way down the stretch and the playoffs are who is being positioned around.  The offensives most efficient and productive players were Kincaid, Shakir and Cook by a significant margin.  The best players on defense last year are still here too. 

18 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

I will continuously say this when people bring up the defense. Yea they invest there but it hasn’t just been the defense that has failed the Bills in the playoffs . 

In the 3 Chiefs games specifically

The first year we took an early lead and the better more experienced playoff team overwhelmed them. We gave up 37 yes but the offense was completely shut down in the 2nd half. I might add the Bills offense put up a whopping 10 points in the divisional game against the Ravens

The 2nd year they put up 36 and lost. No one after that year was talking about adding more offense they were talking about coaching and defense blowing it. 

Last year there were blunders in all facets. Bass misses, fake punt gone wrong, offense stalling in the 3rd and a defense ravaged by injuries. Still had a chance to win and couldn’t get it done. 

In 2 out of those 3 games the Chiefs simply made more plays in the clutch than the Bills. 

The Bengals game the Bills got dominated again in both offense and defense including Allen being awful but all anyone talked about was the defense getting gashed which they were. 

They have done everything. Loaded up on offense, loaded up on defense and didn’t matter. Make more plays in the clutch that is how we are going to beat them. 

I don't think we're saying very different things. My contention is that they have over invested in the defense and they always come up short when it matters and that is true - with a defensive coach to boot. We need more playmakers and it would be helpful if we amassed them around the centerpiece of the team.

What you're saying confirms my point. The offense kept them in despite the flurry of points on the other side and just didn't have enough pieces to fully get it done.

Edited by WacArnolds

7 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

They traded down for WR and said they would have traded up for the S

Picking up a 3rd to move back 3 spots and still getting the guy they wanted is not some slight.  Signing a Wr for 30 mil and adding 2 safeties for 5 shows what they value more too. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

It was a good, common-sense kind of draft.  In hindsight, trading up for one of the big 3 WR's would have been kind of a hail mary - more exciting, but also more limiting in the long run.  

Better to add bodies everywhere, and hope a good % of them pan out into significant contributors.

Promising of what, exactly?

If it's promise of making the roster and getting playing time and contributing on some level, then I agree.

If it's promise of becoming an elite player, I don't see much of that in this class.

I very much hope to be proven wrong, but Keon Coleman looks to me like his ceiling is as a high end WR2. Maybe Cole Bishop becomes a playmaking safety. Maybe Soloman is a steal at Edge and becomes a sack master.

But when I look at Ray Davis, DeWayne Carter, a center, a couple project tackles, a special teams linebacker, and an undersized punt returner, I see what look like fine-to-good, sort of replacement level players. I see more of what Beane has done in the past: solid drafts that produce rosterable players, but no difference makers. He arguably hasn't found a difference maker in the draft since Josh Allen. Lots of good, steady, NFL caliber players. Few stars.

The norm for drafts under Brandon Beane (ever since the Allen/Edmunds draft) has become "solid to good, but never great". No home runs. No All-Pros. No REAL difference makers. Right now, this draft just looks like the latest chapter in that book.

• Eyeroll 1

4 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I Got You Ok GIF by CBS

I ask you, since you eyeroll'd my post: In the five drafts since Josh Allen became a Buffalo Bill, can you identify any difference makers or All-Pros that Brandon Beane has drafted? 

I don't mean good players that start NFL games. I already conceded that he does a nice job at finding those. I'm talking elite players. Difference makers. Can you name any?

Mind you: I like Brandon Beane, have always defended him, and don't want him fired or anything like that. I'm happy with him as GM of the Buffalo Bills. But that doesn't mean I can't identify things that seem like problems to me (like failure to draft difference makers) or level fair critiques. And his inability to draft difference makers, to me, has been disappointing, and merits discussion.

Edited by Logic
  • Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Cray51 said:

The chiefs traded Hill to get away from a cap bind.  The chiefs have moved players out, but have been flexible with that cap situation via great drafting and cheap FAs.  The bills are emulating that to a degree.

So you’re saying they made smart moves. Im not sure how this refutes my point.

28 minutes ago, Cray51 said:

The Bengals have an elite QB on a rookie deal, which gives them flexibility. 

Huh? Burrow is not on a rookie deal.

His contract is larger than Allen’s.