Fact vs Fiction: "Keon Coleman is not a separator"

Sorry if this was already posted, but here is a good video.  While it does confirm that Coleman struggles with separation on deep routes, you can see him doing very well in creating separation on other routes. 

The film of his struggles to separate vertically starts around 6:20.

After that, you will see some impressive route running in which Coleman is successful in separating from DBs.

Enjoy.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 5

2 minutes ago, ShakAttack said:

Sorry if this was already posted, but here is a good video.  While it does confirm that Coleman struggles with separation on deep routes, you can see him doing very well in creating separation on other routes. 

After that, you will see some impressive route running in which Coleman is successful in separating from DBs.

Enjoy.

He’s going to have to be better at contested catches to win vertically but I believe he will eat in the intermediate middle of the field as a pro and I don’t mean from the slot 

Edited by gonzo1105
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

He’s going to have to be better at contested catches to win vertically but I believe he will eat in the intermediate middle of the field as a pro and I don’t mean from the slot 

He will improve. The kid is very teachable and eager to get better.  He has the physical and mental/attitude attributes.   Now it's up to coaching.

Edited by SoonerBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

If this was meant to make me feel better um it didn't. Watching college level DBs turn and run with him with ease is frightening. He looks so slow on go routes.

I don't think that is where he will excel in the NFL.  

Hopefully his go to route will be the 15-20 yard cross and out. That was a Davis staple and one of his drops last season that ended up as an Allen INT. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

He will improve. The kod is very teachable and eager to get better.  He has the physical and mental/attitude attributes.   Now it's up to coaching.

Oh I have no doubt. He's 20 years old there is no one here who can say they were maxed out in their profession at that age. Most hadn't even started it.

• Thank you (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

If this was meant to make me feel better um it didn't. Watching college level DBs turn and run with him with ease is frightening. He looks so slow on go routes.

Hopefully his go to route will be the 15-20 yard cross and out. That was a Davis staple and one of his drops last season that ended up as an Allen INT. 

Why am I not surprised

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, ShakAttack said:

Enjoy.

And hopefully Josh will be able to further assist his separation by manipulating DBs with his eyes.

• Like (+1) 2

Change of direction is arguably more important than straight line speed, especially with JA17 as your QB. Keon has great body control, which will likely be how he creates separation in the NFL. With his wingspan all Josh needs to do is throw the ball to the opposite side of the DB and let Keon edge them out.

For the record, I’m not saying that Keon will be a good WR and I’m certainly not saying that he’ll be a bad one, this is simply how I see his “game” translating to the NFL.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Coleman was completely blanketed.

Gabe Davis could at least get open on deep routes

Edited by JakeFrommStateFarm

From what I can gather, he wasn't always put in positions to succeed there. They were running screens with him. Like, what? Also throwing prayers up to him when double or triple covered or when the defender has established leverage. There were consistently under thrown balls to him, causing more contested catch situations than needed (and having to wait for a ball and the defender getting back in the play makes it harder for a receiver than just a normal 50/50 ball).

I actually think he might do much better in the pros with a much better QB throwing to him and not being the focal point of the offense. Of course, he'll also be going up against better talent, but I expect he will be used more appropriately than he was in college.

1 hour ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Well yeah, why was he running go routes all the time? I think he was mismanaged in college. They had him doing everything, including a lot of things that played to his weaknesses, not strengths.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, MJS said:

From what I can gather, he wasn't always put in positions to succeed there. They were running screens with him. Like, what? Also throwing prayers up to him when double or triple covered or when the defender has established leverage. There were consistently under thrown balls to him, causing more contested catch situations than needed (and having to wait for a ball and the defender getting back in the play makes it harder for a receiver than just a normal 50/50 ball).

I actually think he might do much better in the pros with a much better QB throwing to him and not being the focal point of the offense. Of course, he'll also be going up against better talent, but I expect he will be used more appropriately than he was in college.

Well yeah, why was he running go routes all the time? I think he was mismanaged in college. They had him doing everything, including a lot of things that played to his weaknesses, not strengths.

Stop reasoning or thinking positive, your disrupting things!

• Haha (+1) 3

13 minutes ago, MJS said:

I assume they had a lot of faith in him because of his athleticism and ability to catch. Norvell's offensive system is great. It doesn't ask much of the QB, which is why I would hesitate ever drafting a QB from him, but it asks a lot of his skill players. If you're an elite athletic guy like Keon, you're going to do a lot regardless of your skill set.

I think he does a better job at developing RBs in particular, like Darrel Henderson and Tony Pollard, I would've loved Trey Benson in this draft.

47 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

Coleman was completely blanketed.

Gabe Davis could at least get open on deep routes

I wouldn't worry about that. Coleman can do exactly what Gabe Davis did. He'll learn. The Bills have the blueprint and an elite QB  in place to develop Keon the same way as Davis, but Keon has more upside.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

I wouldn't worry about that. Coleman can do exactly what Gabe Davis did. He'll learn. The Bills have the blueprint and an elite QB  in place to develop Keon the same way as Davis, but Keon has more upside.

I agree. I think a lot of us were looking for a potential #1 receiver. Someone who could be elite. I'm guessing the Bills didn't see any of these receivers in the draft becoming that, outside of the top guys who got taken.

So, they found a guy who could replace Gabe Davis. A big bodied guy who can work the deep and intermediate areas of the field. But he has WAY better hands, better athleticism, and can develop into a better route runner too.

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

When we drafted Josh we didn't know exactly what we would get. What players would be the best for him from a system standpoint. We brought in the Smurfs in droves which would usually be a nod to YAC being a focus. I think early on we wanted YAC to be a focus. Over time we have seen Buffalo consistently as one of the worst YAC teams in the NFL. We are often off schedule. We are about as far from a rhythm offense is you could get. Allens ability to buy a second or two, deliver passes in absurd windows, and literally throw additional distances to make up for YAC is what we have seen. We can fight this all we want in hopes he becomes more of a systematic passer but this is just who Allen is. 

I look at the Coleman pick as one of the first pieces we added knowing exactly what Josh needs. Not what a system needs. He has never had a target that is always open even if he is covered. That he can throw a 50/50 ball to with any consistency and really maximize in unstructured situations. Coleman will be that guy in spades. I also see a guy who is very good in the middle of the field. Which is an area our offense all but avoided until the Pittsburgh playoff game last year. Coleman doesn't need to run past people to be a great fit here and who he can be paired with Josh is likely far more than who he could be paired within more structured systems. We will get a ton of this his rookie year which will buy him more time to develop into a polished WR who likely will line up in multiple spots over the long run.    

Edited by Mikie2times
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I like the pick.  There are concerns obviously.  And not totally unwarranted.  That is why you draft one more WR.  Why couldn't we spend our 4th on a WR and dumpster dive for a big RB instead the other way around?  If Beane had drafted another WR everyone on here would be giving this draft an A+.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

He's 20, and so many of his other skills are as good as you could want.  If he improves w/ his separation (and I agree it's not as bad as portrayed), he can be the steal of this draft.

We just won't know for awhile. But I like the guy, and it seems like he has great commitment to being the best.

2 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

For all the talk about lack of separation...I don't see anyone talking about his ability to find open spots against a zone look.

I always have to laugh when defenses play zone vs us. Josh excels vs zone. Diggs and Beasley were always so good finding soft spots. Kincaid is obviously really good vs zone. Anyone dumb enough to try and zone us deserves what they get.

I will say that I’m interested in Coleman’s blocking. He’s a big dude and could really help there if he’s committed to it.

Edited by VW82