Logic's Buffalo Bills Draft Review -- The more things change, the more they stay the same

Logic

1 hour ago, ren1701 said:

Right on Logic - This is draft literally defines "sustainability", that's what's important to Bean. He will never mortgage the farm at a Superbowl run and we will are ending up with the next Philip Rivers. Starting to feel like I did back in the 90's, the more things change the more they stay the same, just like back in those days, if the Bills had a Parcels or Johnson or Gibbs, how many Lombardi's are at One Bills drive? 

If you find yourself saying right now, with all the talent on the field, if we had a Belichick or Reid.... that will probably answer your questions about how to feel about McD. His coaching is defense, he wants to win like that combining with a ground and pound run game circa 1989. Problem is, he has one of the greatest at the wheel, and the only time we really get to see that, and if you think about, you know it's true, is when none of that working. Then we release the hounds and que up sugar rush Allen for the win. 

Just a note - the QB makes the receiver great, just look at Hill w/ Tua as opposed to Mahomes - or Walker with Brady and so on. Losing DIggs, whose production became #2 at best last 8 games and disappearing every year in the playoffs got old. I think, at the very least, with all the drops last year, maybe they are just looking for guys to just catch the ball? 

and for all those peeps that judge receivers on how fast hey run I'll leave this: " I'm always fastest guy on the field, because I know where I'm going" ...Jerry RIce

Such a foolish, illogical take when it comes to the discounting of the running game in today's NFL. I know it is a very small percentage of those on the board that think that, but they are loud and vocal, giving the impression they are the majority.  They are not, not by a looong shot. And thank our lucky stars the leaders of the Bills think the exact opposite thing.

The Bills are doing the right thing by continuing to build their running game.  In the last three years when they decided to (forced by McD?) run the ball like they meant it, they were almost unbeatable.  They became the best running team in football and almost never lost again in two of the last three years.

That is one of the best things the Bills can do to make Allen, and the Bills, reach their potential.  Blind not to see that, understand that.

But overall, a good, detailed analysis of each pick, though I think you are very wrong about Davis not "moving the needle".  He will be a very important player this year, may end up taking over as starting rb, enabling Cook to become a much more lasting, and even more dynamic part of the Bills' offense.

Edited by Mister Defense
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

3 hours ago, Big Turk said:

I think the Bills have a pretty diverse skill set of offensive weapons now and I think it's going to be pick your poison defending them with different players being the "go to guy" in different games depending on what other teams do on D and how they play them.

Kincaid is going to be a star and matchup nightmare.

Cook is already close to a star and matchup nightmare.

Shakir was coming on strong and is going to likely take a huge step this year.

Knox is still solid even tho he had a down year.

Samuel is a solid #2 and provides quickness and speed and is a YAC chewer upper 

Coleman is a big bodied WR that is open when he isn't open that can box out defenders like he was playing basketball and should be a big red zone target initially.

Davis is going to be a great change of pace back along with Ty Johnson who just always made stuff happen every time he touched the ball.

I think people are underestimating the offense. I don't think much changes in terms of scoring ability.

Plus we still have Josh Allen who more often than not can make something out of nothing and make your jaw drop 

Agreed. 

Beane's not done, but the pieces are already there.   The real question is whether Brady is the man to do something with the quality parts he's been presented with.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Not my choice but I have exactly no problem with the Coleman pick. He is a polarizing player but I think he is a promising prospect. Of course there is the risk that attaches to almost all rookies but I really doubt he busts. To me he is either a better version of Gabe or another Alshon Jeffery (let’s hope for the latter). 

1 hour ago, Mister Defense said:

Such a foolish, illogical take when it comes to the discounting of the running game in today's NFL. I know it is a very small percentage of those on the board that think that, but they are loud and vocal, giving the impression they are the majority.  They are not, not by a looong shot. And thank our lucky stars the leaders of the Bills think the exact opposite thing.

The Bills are doing the right thing by continuing to build their running game.  In the last three years when they decided to (forced by McD?) run the ball like they meant it, they were almost unbeatable.  They became the best running team in football and almost never lost again in two of the last three years.

That is one of the best things the Bills can do to make Allen, and the Bills, reach their potential.  Blind not to see that, understand that.

But overall, a good, detailed analysis of each pick, though I think you are very wrong about Davis not "moving the needle".  He will be a very important player this year, may end up taking over as starting rb, enabling Cook to become a much more lasting, and even more dynamic part of the Bills' offense.

Foolish? Still stuck in the 80's I see. 3 1/2 yards and cloud of dust, run it again...lol

Let me tell you what the "best running game in football" got for it - a good golf game after the first playoff game exit by the 17th best running game that is KC. 

This is a passing league and has been for the last 30 years, and the offense they push, any ham and egger can run. Allen is not a "game manager" he is elite and even with the actual numbers, some people just can't face the truth. The sad part is, it will waste another 3 years from Allen shelf life before it is admitted. Number's don't lie my friend, and at the end of the day, you don't drive a Lamborghini in the snow... unless you are McD

Sorry. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Two points:

first point…the Bills have been one of the most successful teams in the league the last 5 years. They haven’t picked earlier than like 25th since 2019 (Ed Oliver). When you are successful like that, it is hard to land new star players without a little bit of luck.

so, instead, you have to do what the Bills have done. Draft a bunch of good but not great guys, trade for some guys, sign some FA and be good top to bottom. There aren’t a lot of teams in the NFL that win every year, and that’s a big reason why. Honestly, I think Beane does a great job base on where we pick.

second point…no rookie was really going to make that big a difference outside the top 3. We should all really be hoping that some of the guys on our roster like Kincaid, Samuel, Shakir, Shorter, Hamler, Isabella, etc take steps forward. All of them outside shakir and shorter were picked on day 1 or 2, all of them are under 28 and all of them are pretty fast. As a whole, the WR corps is considerably fast than last season. Coleman, shakir and Samuel might not sound intimidating…but all three of them are WAY better at RAC than what we have had. They also have better hands. 

side note…Curtis Samuel is one of the best against man in the NFL. As someone from Ohio, dude was incredible in college…maybe one of the best I’ve ever seen. If he had a real position coming out, he could have gone much higher.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

But was he a better pick than McConkey, Mitchell, Worthey or Legette?

Opinion, yes but most of what I saw pre draft had all of them ranked higher. No one on this board was calling for Coleman and it seems the character thing came into serious play.  Maybe in Mitchell’s case that is cool but the nice guy isn’t necessarily the best guy.

Their rankings were very close.

Consensus big board (source https://www.nflmockdraftdatabase.com/big-boards/2024/consensus-big-board-2024)

28. Mitchell

32. Worthy

33. McConkey

37. Coleman

42. Legette

Daniel Jeremiah (my understanding is that he is one of the most respected evaluators)

27. Mitchell

30. McConkey

31. Worthy

42. Coleman

49. Legette

Mel Kiper (same)

18. Worthy

32. Legette

33. Coleman

36. Mitchell

37. McConkey

So yeah some of them were ranked a little higher but it is very close. This board liked Coleman much much less than consensus and some relevant talking heads.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, ren1701 said:

Foolish? Still stuck in the 80's I see. 3 1/2 yards and cloud of dust, run it again...lol

Let me tell you what the "best running game in football" got for it - a good golf game after the first playoff game exit by the 17th best running game that is KC. 

This is a passing league and has been for the last 30 years, and the offense they push, any ham and egger can run. Allen is not a "game manager" he is elite and even with the actual numbers, some people just can't face the truth. The sad part is, it will waste another 3 years from Allen shelf life before it is admitted. Number's don't lie my friend, and at the end of the day, you don't drive a Lamborghini in the snow... unless you are McD

Sorry. 

yup, extremely foolish to say that the running game is not a VITAL part of almost any successful team's success. And even more to say that it is not and has not been so in recent Bills' memory. Have you been out of the country two of the last 3 years, during the 2021 and 2023 seasons?

Did you notice how much better the Bills became after 500 ish starts--and that the main, obvious, biggest change they made each of those years that turned them into contenders when it looked like they were after thoughts?

Just because you hear some very ignorant football analysts discounting the run, and saying those illogical, stupid and cliche things about the running game, that it is almost a thing of the past--watch some games next year, and see with your OWN eyes how important a good, great running team is to the success of almost all teams.

Notice how some of the few weaknesses in Allen's game seemed to disappear when the running game took off?  I assume the answer is no here too.  Very foolish...

Only the teams with better than average running games will contend in the AFC this year.

Edited by Mister Defense

On 4/28/2024 at 7:17 AM, Logic said:

Right now, I agree with you. I think the Bills are further from Super Bowl contention right now than they were at season's end. Some of that was bound to happen due to salary cap implications and aging players that left, but...I can't help but agree. You either step forward, backward, or stand pat in a given offseason. At BEST, I feel the Bills stood pat, but I think it's more likely that they took a step back.

Agreed that they likely took a step back. But how would you avoid that in a year where they had to cut so many for the reasons you stated, and where Diggs then got his wish to get out of town?

I don't think they expected to get rid of Diggs this year. But pile that on top of Morse, Poyer, Hyde, Tre, etc. and a bit of a down year seems inevitable to me.

This draft looks to me like one that will help us build towards the future, while still giving us a shot this year. I'm not excited about it, but it looks solid.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Big Turk said:

I think the Bills have a pretty diverse skill set of offensive weapons now and I think it's going to be pick your poison defending them with different players being the "go to guy" in different games depending on what other teams do on D and how they play them.

Kincaid is going to be a star and matchup nightmare.

Cook is already close to a star and matchup nightmare.

Shakir was coming on strong and is going to likely take a huge step this year.

Knox is still solid even tho he had a down year.

Samuel is a solid #2 and provides quickness and speed and is a YAC chewer upper 

Coleman is a big bodied WR that is open when he isn't open that can box out defenders like he was playing basketball and should be a big red zone target initially.

Davis is going to be a great change of pace back along with Ty Johnson who just always made stuff happen every time he touched the ball.

I think people are underestimating the offense. I don't think much changes in terms of scoring ability.

Plus we still have Josh Allen who more often than not can make something out of nothing and make your jaw drop 

Samuel is not a wr2 and Cook is no where a star if he can't catch a routine throw.  But I do like the idea of diversity considering there's not one receiver to scheme against defensively. This should play somewhat to our advantage. I'll keep an open mind regarding Coleman but he wasn't on my top 10 list.

14 minutes ago, Mister Defense said:

yup, extremely foolish to say that the running game is not a VITAL part of almost any successful team's success. And even more to say that it is not and has not been so in recent Bills' memory. Have you been out of the country two of the last 3 years, during the 2021 and 2023 seasons?

Did you notice how much better the Bills became after 500 ish starts--and that the main, obvious, biggest change they made each of those years that turned them into contenders when it looked like they were after thoughts?

Just because you hear some very ignorant football analysts discounting the run, and saying those illogical, stupid and cliche things about the running game, that it is almost a thing of the past--watch some games next year, and see with your OWN eyes how important a good, great running team is to the success of almost all teams.

Notice how some of the few weaknesses in Allen's game seemed to disappear when the running game took off?  I assume the answer is no here too.  Very foolish...

Only the teams with better than average running games will contend in the AFC this year.

The run game is important, as are all phases. But it's probably the least important of the four phases.

The Chiefs haven't had a better than average running game for a long time, and they do OK. 17th in total yards and 13th in yards per carry last year. Very average.

The Texans run game weren't good, 22nd total and 29th at YPC. They will absolutely compete this year, though they may get better at the run game. They have a ways to go to get better than average at toting the rock.

On 4/27/2024 at 6:07 PM, Logic said:

I'll start by saying that this was far from my favorite Bills draft.

I'm usually Mr Optimistic when it comes to draft classes, but I thought this year's class was just...fine. It was like if you fed Brandon Beane's draft tendencies and the Bills' needs into ChatGPT and asked it to spit out the 2024 Bills draft class. It was completely on brand, it filled the needs we all knew the team had, and it'll probably end up producing a few average players and a couple good ones.

Ho-hum. Nobody in this class makes me stand up and say "that guy's really gonna help the Bills get over the hump and win a title". 

Onto the picks:

1. Keon Coleman - I was not a fan of this pick. For a team whose WR corps needed more speed and separation, this guy made the LEAST sense to me of all the 1st/2nd round WR prospects. Josh Allen has historically thrived with fast, shifty WRs who separate well, and has not clicked with big-bodied guys who struggle with separation. So adding Keon Coleman? It feels like "Square peg, meet round hole". He does have great athleticism and RAC ability for a man his size. He's also young to the position, having played football full time for only two seasons and being only 20 years old. I have concerns about his ability to play X in the NFL, and I'll believe that he's a better fit as a big slot until proven otherwise. Here's hoping I'm wrong about Coleman. The absolute ceiling I see for him is "Solid WR2". Not what I was hoping for in a star studded WR class and with a crying need at the position.

2. Cole Bishop - Looks like he should be just what the doctor ordered at safety for the Bills. He seems to be more Poyer than Hyde, in that he's at his best in the box and playing the run, and he packs a wallop when he tackles. He appears to have untapped man coverage potential, with Dalton Kincaid saying Bishop usually got the better of him 1-on-1 at Utah. He also has freaky speed for the position and a great mental disposition. Should be an easy fit in the Bills' scheme. At the VERY least, I expect him to contribute from day 1 as a dime 'backer, but I'll ultimately be surprised if he doesn't wind up starting at one of the two safety spots by midseason. 

3. Dewayne Carter - Good bull rusher, great motor, tons of experience, impeccable character. Seems like a 1T/3T 'tweener. Quickly apparent from his interviews that he's one of the smartest, most likable, easy to root for guys you'll ever see in the NFL. Should be a quality rotational tackle for the Bills and seems like, in time, he will provide quality leadership and a steadying presence on the D-line. May never be a big play guy, but may at least be a "dirty work" guy who allows others around him to thrive.

4. Ray Davis - Hard running inside guy with great vision, ability to get skinny, contact balance, and underrated breakaway ability. Had the most receiving TDs in 2023 of any SEC running back in 25 years. Should provide a nice change of pace to James Cook without the Bills necessarily losing anything in the pass game when he comes on the field. An older prospect, but I don't care, because he's a running back, and he won't be here past his first contract anyway. Another "likability" and leadership All-Star. Davis should provide steadiness and depth, but doesn't do anything that wows you, and I'm not sure he moves the needle much on offense.

5. Sedrick Van Pran - Tons of starting experience at Georgia. Has some traits reminiscent of Mitch Morse in terms of quickness, twitch, and ability on the move. Stop me if you've heard this one before -- lauded for his leadership. Should provide a good backup plan to Connor McGovern at center and/or provide competition at that position. It will not shock me if this guy is starting by year two. Seems like a great value at this point in the draft. One of my favorite picks.

5. Edufuan Ulofoshio - What do you want me to say? You didn't think the Bills would let a draft pass them by without selecting a late round special teams linebacker, did you? The room is starting to get a bit crowded with Milano, Bernard, Williams, Morrow, Spector, and Ulofoshio. However...the Bills lost ST stalwarts Dodsen, Matakevitch, and Neal, and needed some reinforcements there. That's what Ulo seems to be. I'll be surprised if he ever amounts to more than that, but at this point in the draft, that's what you're getting.

5. Javon Soloman - Undersized speed rusher (though he does have a great wingspan for the position) who had absolutely eye-popping production at Troy, where he out-produced Demarcus Ware and Osi Umenyoira. He can be a designated pass rusher and special teams guy and can learn from his idol Von Miller, after whom he says he models his game. Very much a boom/bust prospect, with seemingly equal potential to be the steal of the draft or an outright bust. I liked this pick a lot, and I'm betting on the former over the latter.

6. Tylan Grable - What do you want me to say? Did you think the Bills were gonna let a draft go by without taking a project offensive tackle late? I don't have much to say about this guy. He's just like Tommy Doyle or Luke Tenuta before him: a developmental tackle prospect who's a long shot to make the 53-man roster. With VanDemark and Collins already in place as backup OTs, it's hard to see this guy making the roster.

6. Daequan Hardy - Special teams guy. Standout punt returner and gunner. I usually look to Bills' late round corners with excitement, because they're usually big-bodied guys with zone eyes who only dropped due to underwhelming athleticism. Hardy does not appear to fit that mold. He appears instead to be a punt return candidate and, beyond that, I'm not sure where he'd fit in. His only hope is as a nickel, but the Bills are obviously set there with Taron Johnson.

7. Travis Clayton - At least this one's fun. A guy from the International Pathways program who has never played a down of football in his life. But he's 6'7", 301 lbs and runs a 4.79. The hope is that he turns into the next Jordan Mailata. A fun story and will be fun to track, but obviously a longshot and likely a practice squad guy at best.

Overall, it was clear that leadership, maturity, and experience were high priorities for the Bills this year. Again and again, they picked guys who were team captains and lauded for their leadership abilities. Given all the leadership that walked out the door this offseason, that certainly makes sense. Again and again, they picked guys with lots of starting experience, guys who shined at the Senior Bowl, and guys who have their heads screwed on straight. Given that they will be counting on some of these guys to contribute from day one, and given that they seem to be doing a bit of a locker room reset, this also makes sense. 

The reason that I am ultimately unexcited by this year's draft class is this: I wanted the Bills to prioritize building around Josh Allen. I wanted them to either take a swing for the fences by trading up for a star receiver, or -- failing that -- to go the Packers route and draft a handful of skill position players to surround him with. If they were unable to acquire great quality, then I hoped they would at least acquire quantity. I fear that in choosing Keon Coleman, they may have failed to achieve the "quality" goal, and in refusing to draft any other receivers, they also failed to achieve the "quantity" goal. And Ray Davis is the definition of "uninspiring" at running back. He'll be a fine depth player and grind out tough yards, I'm sure, but he doesn't move the needle much on offense. Neither Coleman nor Davis seem like they upgrade the offense. Just...status quo at best.

In a year where I felt the very TOP priority was to improve on offense, I feel the Bills failed to meaningfully do so. In an offseason where I hoped they'd make a bold move or two to try to find an elite player for this offense, they failed to try. After hearing "Josh needs more weapons" for a couple years running, he now seems to have less. The WR corps seems to have regressed, and seems to lack any true downfield explosiveness or viable deep threat. 

This draft class was not a disaster, by any means. it seems FINE. Just fine. Keon Coleman doesn't scream "Alpha WR1" to me. Ray Davis seems like an average NFL backup. Cole Bishop and Javon Soloman seem to perhaps have playmaking potential on defense. Beyond that -- meh.

When the Bills decided to go young and start a roster reset, I had hope that Beane was gonna try to do things differently, since the old way he was doing things didn't get the Bills over the hump. They've been hitting too man singles and doubles over the years and not enough home runs. Instead, he appears to be doing things exactly the same way this time around. He seems to be content to collect character/culture guys, whose ceiling is "good, solid NFL player", rather than taking any risks or big swings for potential stars. He hasn't really taken those swings, to my estimation, since the Allen/Edmunds class. THAT'S why I'm disappointed in this draft class. It seems fine, solid, steady, and logical, but it doesn't seem like it'll move the needle much.

I will move on to hoping that the post June 1st money infusion brings us a quality veteran receiver and maybe a pass rusher either via free agency or trade. Failing that, it would be hard for me to conclude anything other than that it looks like the Bills are poised to take a step back this year. 2025 looks promising in terms of cap space and draft capital, but if it's gonna continue to be "business as usual" for Brandon Beane, then I'm not sure how excited I should allow myself to get for that. 

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Couldn’t have said it any better myself. And anyone that disagrees is delusional imo. 

On 4/27/2024 at 5:15 PM, Dr. Who said:

I agree with this. I hope he has a post 6/1 trade for an impact WR lined up. I don't have confidence that is the case. 

This is a model that makes the playoffs and fails against teams with elite playmakers.

Small caveat: I think Davis is a bit better than you are crediting.

https://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/2024/04/bills-gm-explains-why-he-only-drafted-1-receiver-why-a-wr-trade-isnt-coming.html

He claims he doesn't and that we are set at WR

8 minutes ago, Starr Almighty said:

Yes, I have heard that. I couldn't read the article without disabling an ad blocker. I am not technical, and don't want to disable the ad blocker, so I'll just take your word for it. He said as much in the after draft press conference I gather. He is either prevaricating, or that is his plan.

I remain dissatisfied with how he addressed the WR room. I don't think his concept of adequate matches my own. I've expressed this now multiple times, so much so that even I am bored with it. Nothing one can do, but hope for the best.

On 4/27/2024 at 6:19 PM, KentuckyBillsFan said:

This front office will never build around Allen… and I think the biggest reason for that is Sean McDermott. 

I fully agree. The Bills traded down twice in round one. Both teams to which they traded their picks selected a wide receiver. Then when their turn comes up, the Bills also picked a wide receiver. I just cannot understand how this can make sense to anyone. 

In round 2, McDermott of course picks a safety, thus using a premium pick on a postiion seen as less essential than most others.

In round 3, he drafts a DT (also not a highly valued position in the new NFL) who is listed at 6'2". OK, got it.

Talk about less important positions, how about a running back in round 4?!

So there we have it, A comparatively slow wide receiver, a safety in round two, a short DT, and a running back with our top 4 picks. How much will this help Josh Allen, our GREAT quarterback? The answer would seem to be not enough.  Sounds bad, right? The good news is that McDermott didn't draft the safety in round  one, which I expected him to. Now, how much will Josh appreciate this debacle? You tell me. This makes the draft that much more suspect.

As I said from day one, McDermott has WAY too much power in this organization. Beane is more of an administrator WAY more than he is a football man and has very little if any sway wrt personnel imo. McDermott needs to be shown the door if the Bills do not improve this season. Will he be fired? I don't think so. It's as if he cast some sort of spell on Pegula. Sad situation but we can just hope for the best.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Mister Defense said:

Just going back to 2019 and I can go back even farther then that if you like - only one team in the big show had a top 5 run game, THE NUMBER S DON"T LIE - perhaps the talking heads you listen to do? Think about it - how many big contracts are being made for running backs??? None, as they are now throw always that you use up on a rookie deal and trade em. The weakness in Allens game went away because they moved from run run pass punt Dorcey,  and be honest, remove Allen and just like Lamar, without these guys, these teams have no run game. 

Let me say the thing that should be said: 

Without Josh Allen, the Bills are a sub .500 team that would have got this coaching staff tanked years ago. His natural ability and aptitude for what is happening around him keeps us in games too many times as the Bills are scoring on broken plays or scramble drills.

"Only the teams with better than average running games will contend in the AFC this year.... 

2019 - #1 - Ravens .. no Lombardi - SB winner Pats, run ranking - 18, passing #9 (4153)

2020 - #1 - Ravens ... no Lombardi - SB winner KC, run ranking - 16, passing #1 (5005) 

2021 - #1 - Philly ...  no Lombardi - SB winner Bucs, run ranking - 26, passing #1 (5383)

2022 - #1 - Da  Bears... no Lombardi - SB winner Rams, run ranking #5, passing #25 (3506) 

2023 - #1 - Ravens again... no Lombardi - SB winner KC, run ranking #19. passing #7 (4383)

Barring the run by the Rams in 22 - nothing you are saying is supported by numbers but rather an antiquated notion that the NFL is still a run first league. Not even one of those QBS that won it were "system guys" supported by a great running game.

It's all about the QB, nothing else matters and here's the real elephant in the room - as long a McD sits in that nickel cover 2 soft Tampa zone nonsense for 80% of the game, you better have a guy that can put up 35 plus points in a game because when they get to the playoffs and play REAL QB's - they eat his lunch... 4 years running now… the very definition of insanity.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Still think with all the defensive players on the board because so many offensive players taken if you weren't going to take receiver at 28 take BPA rather than trade down with KC. You still get your receiver round 2. Of course I'm for taking BPA in first round in almost every draft. Other tan that Beane ran pretty good draft it seems.

• Disagree 1

On 4/27/2024 at 3:34 PM, MasterStrategist said:

You're basically not high on Coleman, and we didn't double dip at WR. 

Based on experience and some of these prospects being older/ready to contribute immediately (maybe a bit lower ceiling):

Immediate starters:

Coleman, Bishop

Sizeable % of snaps/key rotational role:

Carter, Davis, Hardy (returner)

Potential to be a future starter:

SVPG (maybe even this year)

Key backup/ST role:

Ulof (immediate core ST player), Solomon (key S/T and potential to be a impact pass rush specialist this year)

Grable is a solid developmental project, if we can hold onto him.

We needed to do a mini rebuild across the roster, replace leadership as you said.  I think we have a strong culture already in place but this class enhances that.

Honestly, this draft class comes down mostly to Coleman and Bishops impact.  And if we added some DL pressure.  Davis will be a solid RB2 no doubt.

I'm concerned about a 2nd outside WR too, but Beane either views a FA target post June 1 OR has enough faith in Shorter.  My guess is we grab a vet WR in FA.

Asking to go "GB" with multiple guys.... thing is we already have a few: Kincaid, Samuel, Shakir, Cook.  We need a depth outside/boundary WR (vet FA noted above) and we are counting on:

700-800+ yard season: Coleman, Kincaid, Samuel, and Shakir

400-600 yards (in aggregate): Cook (mostly him), Davis and Johnson

400-600 yards: Knox, WR4, WR5

WR4/5: as of now, Hollins and Shorter.  That's not going to cut it.  But if we add a vet FA then I think we have at least a feasible plan in place.

Let's be patient and see how Beane addresses WR4.  He wasn't afraid to make moves after draft LY (Floyd, Murray, Ford).

The more I read about Worthy, the more I liked him.  He is said to be a better route runner than he was being credit for.  He was more than just a fast deep threat like John Ross.  However, with his small size, making it tough for him vs press coverage, he may be best suited for the slot.  Unfortunately this team already had Shakir, C. Samuel as slot guys so they needed someone as an outside receiver.

Adonai Mitchell seemed to be that guy with speed, but he dropped in the draft, apparently due to personality and attitude presented in interviews.  I don’t know if Beane tried to move up for Brian Thomas, but with him being picked only a few picks before 28, it seems it might not have taken much to move up to say 22.

So, they traded down twice to get a 3rd after giving there’s up in the Rasual Douglas deal.

Now, is Beane telling us that, with the 28th pick, he felt there were enough WRs they liked that they felt they could move down and still get one?  Worthy, Pearsall and Leggette were then taken before they picked Coleman.  Did they have them all rated fairly even?
I would’ve actually expected McConkey to be taken before Pearsall and Leggette so they valued Coleman over McConkey then.

As many have said, I still don’t understand why they didn’t throw a dart at another WR over developmental O-Linemen.  Then they only signed 2 as UFAs, neither of which is speedy.  

I just can’t believe that they’re happy with Coleman, Shakir, Samuel, Isabella, Hamler, Shorter and Shavers.  I guess some of these guys may be better than having drafted one with a 5th round pick as most were with the team last year.  I hope they know what they’re doing because right now I have my doubts.

On 4/27/2024 at 6:14 PM, GoBills808 said:

I think it would be fair to say this draft+offseason gets us further from a super bowl

Could not disagree more.  Gone are aging/expensive players on the downsides of their careers.  The lone exception was Gabe Davis — who was clearly not a difference-maker for this team.  Spots are opening for young talent to emerge.  Young guys who got off to great starts and are poised to get even better (Bernard/Kincaid/Cook) are now leading the way.

This draft brings a lot of energy and, yes, leadership, to an established franchise that needed something new after just getting to the doorstep for the past four years.

How anyone can say that takes them farther away from a Super Bowl is beyond me.

We’re all just going to have to wait and see, and you’re not gonna have to wait very long. The season starts in just a few months and we’ll all know what we got in Coleman. He won’t be riding the bench. (If he is, the pitchforks are coming out.) As for me, I’m going to trust that the Front Office did their homework.