Rd 4, Pick 128: RB Ray Davis, Kentucky

6 minutes ago, MJS said:

Who said 40 times aren't relevant? They are. They just aren't everything.

That’s what most of the people In support of the Coleman pick have been saying on every part of the internet. That it’s just a test in gym shorts. That the real metric is game speed. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, RobbRiddicksTDLeap said:

That’s what most of the people In support of the Coleman pick have been saying on every part of the internet. That it’s just a test in gym shorts. That the real metric is game speed. 

The truth is somewhere in the middle of those two extremes.

• Like (+1) 3

• SDS changed the title to Rd 4, Pick 128: RB Ray Davis, Kentucky
5 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

Daniel Jeremiah said it was his 3rd best back in the draft 

Yeah but people here don’t like wasting a 4th round pick on a rb!!! A position of need for the Bills. Likely a third and short option an area the Bills need to improve. A guy who only had 20+ TDs.. what a waste!!!

5 hours ago, Blackbeard said:

Who’s our #1 wr this year??

Not someone the Bills would have got at 128. 

5 hours ago, QB Bills said:

They love wasting mid-round picks on RBs. Don't know anything about the guy, but it's just poor asset management as usual from these guys.

What asset management are you taking about? The Bills have several roster needs. This guy fills a need position and will bring value on 3rd down. Marvin Harrison Jr was off the board. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, finn said:

How so? He looks like just another guy in his highlights, more like a free agent or camp fodder than a fourth-round pick. Not fast, big, or elusive. Sort of a dulled-down Singletary. What are you (and the Bills) seeing that I'm not? 

1000 yards 3 seasons in college 21 TD’s last year maybe ?? 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, QLBillsFan said:

1000 yards 3 seasons in college 21 TD’s last year maybe ?? 

Yeah, I've come around. Rash response. I think he might even be special. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Y'all were fine with Cook being taken 2nd rd. despite knowing his lack of real physicality, then later turned around to began complaining, asking 'does he ever break a tackle?', but have a problem with Ray Davis being taken in the 4th. Seems about right.

We actually needed to draft an RB, and we did.

He's a nice complement to Cook.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Dang man, I'm watching Ray's highlights. His hips are so sudden, then fluid. He plays fast, is hard to tackle and has great hands! I think he us going to be great in our offense. We have a fast stepping little tank of a RB!!

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Some Bills fans need to understand that the old way of signing worn-out free agents is no longer a viable option. So instead Beane is going to the draft instead of the free agent that doesn't get it done at the end of the year. Worn-out retreads aren't always the answer. 

Beane knows what he doing. 

• Agree 2

15 hours ago, Bangarang said:

No. Ty Johnson has earned that spot right now 

Ty is a good football player... tough, good in-line speed, good on special teams.

Davis is an accomplished running back and an upgrade over the journeyman Johnson.

Davis rushed for 260 yards and 4 TDs against a Top 20 team. He played for 3 college football teams and had success at each stop.

His selection ends the Bills veteran re-tread carousel of Duke Johnson, Latavius Murray, Damien Harris, and Ty Johnson.

15 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

I'm too happy in life to be that miserable.

Amen, Brother.

15 hours ago, Beast said:

The Bills are not a run first team.

It's not a black and white thing... it's a matter of degree. Once Joe Brady took over, the offense definitely had a different identity. It looks to me that with the picks of Coleman and Davis the Bills are going to have that power component that they've been missing.

15 hours ago, Roundybout said:

I didn’t realize how many veteran WRs are still floating around. Post June 1 will likely see us add someone 

As we did at edge rusher last year with Leonard Floyd.

15 hours ago, khlax3 said:

how is rb not a need? We have James cook and Ty Johnson who is a journeyman type player. If cook went down you had Ty Johnson and literally nothing else

Exactly correct. James Cook had about 237 carries last year. The other Bills running backs (Latavius Murray, Ty Johnson, Damien Harris, Leonard Fournette) had a combined 144 carries..

Josh carried the ball 111 times.

I'm thinking Ray Davis will get at least 175 carries and 200+ touches.

He's essentially a starter, running back 1B. 

15 hours ago, wppete said:

😳 Im getting Zach Moss vibes. 

Moss played very well in 22 games with Indy as a backup and part-time starter (11 games) after Jonathan Taylor was injured. Moss had 259 carries for 1159 yards, 4.5 ypc, and 6 TDs in a poor, one-dimensional offense and looked like the physical, dependable running back the Bills thought they were getting when they drafted him in 2020.

15 hours ago, Mister Defense said:

I wanted a Maurice Jones Drew type, said it on this board, and while Davis may not quite be that he is similar--

low center of gravity, just a bit taller than the 5' 7" MJD.

Runs like a little bowling ball, like MJD.

And catches the ball well too, like MJD.

Seems to be the perfect counter to Cook, the slight, smooth, glider who can break one at any time, with Davis the tough, physical, hard hitting, bowling ball. Davis, if used well, and I have confidence Brady will not do what his extremely incompetent predecessor did--and use his players, even his young ones, like they should be used.

A very good physical WR,  good physical safety, likely future starter at DT, and now a quality physical running back.

The Biils are becoming the kind of young physical team that relates better to their fearless leader, Josh Allen. Hallelujah.

Davis does look a bit like MJD... and the comparisons to Frank Gore, Travis Henry, and (the Indy) Zack Moss are all good ones. Tough, hard-nosed, good vision and instincts, runs with conviction, has good burst, and is a good pass-catcher and pass blocker.

Davis gives the Bills an effective and dependable running back that they can use as an alternative to James Cook depending on game situations.

Edited by Sierra Foothills
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

11 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

Some Bills fans need to understand that the old way of signing worn-out free agents is no longer a viable option. So instead Beane is going to the draft instead of the free agent that doesn't get it done at the end of the year. Worn-out retreads aren't always the answer

Beane knows what he doing. 

5 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Ty is a good football player... tough, good in-line speed, good on special teams. Davis is an accomplished running back and an upgrade over the journeyman Johnson. Davis rushed for 260 yards and 4 TDs against a Top 20 team. He played for 3 college football teams and had success at each stop. His selection ends the Bills veteran re-tread carousel of Duke Johnson, Latavius Murray, Damien Harris, and Ty Johnson.

Funny we both posted essentially the same thought within seconds of each other.

👍

• Like (+1) 2